The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Innerfire89

Do not be unequally yoked....with Baptist.

I was curious to see what everyones thought was on this, how does a couple deal with denominational differenes? One can't force the other to practice what they don't believe, and what would they teach the children? I guess these things would have to be resolved before marriage.

And no, I'm not singling out Baptist, not saying I won't though. Lol.

I was curious to see what everyones thought was on this, how does a couple deal with denominational differenes? One can't force the other to practice what they don't believe, and what would they teach the children? I guess these things would have to be resolved before marriage.

There's really only to be one Spiritual Head of the family.

Did you know John Calvin married an Anabaptist? John Calvin married a widow of an Anabaptist. Idelette Calvin did end up converting.

https://christianhistoryinstitute.org/magazine/article/idelette-john-calvins-search-for-the-right-wife

God bless,

William

• Like 2

There's really only to be one Spiritual Head of the family.

Did you know John Calvin married an Anabaptist? John Calvin married a widow of an Anabaptist. Idelette Calvin did end up converting.

https://christianhistoryinstitute.org/magazine/article/idelette-john-calvins-search-for-the-right-wife

God bless,

William

I meant to mention that in topic, the husband is the spiritual leader of the household.

• Like 1

Well, the pastor who marries the couple without ensuring that there is some agreement about which church they will attend after marriage is negligent.

And yes the man is the spiritual head, but that doesn't automatically mean it's his church - remember he is to die to self for his wife every day - so perhaps the sacrificial thing for him to do is go to her church?

However, if the differences are just great and it going to be a bone of contention I have to wonder if they couple should marry at all?

• Like 2

Well, the pastor who marries the couple without ensuring that there is some agreement about which church they will attend after marriage is negligent.

And yes the man is the spiritual head, but that doesn't automatically mean it's his church - remember he is to die to self for his wife every day - so perhaps the sacrificial thing for him to do is go to her church?

However, if the differences are just great and it going to be a bone of contention I have to wonder if they couple should marry at all?

I'm not using myself as an example, but I'm very thankful that my wife has grown with me throughout these years. We have went from Non-denominational to Reformed/Presbyterianism. She really enjoyed her old church where she had many friends. It got to the point though that I began not wanting to go hear a sermon that I disagreed with and/or cringed at. She was receptive to my concerns and open to change, she listened to the differences in church doctrine, she listened to the teaching on Calvinism, she went to the Presbyterian orientation classes etc. Then one day months later she says, THAT'S WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TEACH ME!!! She was enthusiastic once she grasped the TULIP. We both vowed together at our new church and love our membership. I'm so thankful that she didn't put her fellowship above orthodoxy. I don't believe we have to settle for one or the other, we can have both!

God bless,

William

• Like 3

I'm not using myself as an example, but I'm very thankful that my wife has grown with me throughout these years. We have went from Non-denominational to Reformed/Presbyterianism. She really enjoyed her old church where she had many friends. It got to the point though that I began not wanting to go hear a sermon that I disagreed with and/or cringed at. She was receptive to my concerns and open to change, she listened to the differences in church doctrine, she listened to the teaching on Calvinism, she went to the Presbyterian orientation classes etc. Then one day months later she says, THAT'S WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN TRYING TO TEACH ME!!! She was enthusiastic once she grasped the TULIP. We both vowed together at our new church and love our membership. I'm so thankful that she didn't put her fellowship above orthodoxy. I don't believe we have to settle for one or the other, we can have both!

God bless,

William

In regards to deciding on a church I think the word 'automatically' is very important in what I said and I would also suggest there is a difference between 'submission' and 'sacrificial leadership'. My wife and I came from different backgrounds (her's has proved more biblically sound then mine) and now I serve in particular baptist church despite my mainstream evangelical background.

A couple needs to decide on a church Before getting married. And I suppose that the logical would be to get with someone from the same church? If a couple are meeting at college -- the same profession -- then that could be a challenge. But, still, at college , you'd be going to a church. A career is a big decision and marriage even bigger. Some professions keep a couple so busy that they don't have time for much outside Of their profession. I can only speak for myself -- my husband was invited to the church I was going to by a friend of his. He'd been brought up Methodist but wasn't really anything. He continued in the Baptist church -- went to a Baptist Bible college and seminary -- but that hasn't prevented problems from popping up. Personality differences can pose problems, also. And some of those differences aren't apparent for a while. Dorm life and marriage are Very different. A couple that go to a college which doesn't allow for physical contact while on campus -- they are determined to follow college rules -- they are busy during the summers earning their financing for next year -- they Finally are able to 'be together' and their expectations and reality simply don't match. In fact One couple had been dating the entire 4 yrs. All their friends who'd Also been dating were busy planning weddings. Those two Weren't. They shocked everyone by simply parting ways after graduation. Turns out they both met other people later on and got married. Being best friends / dating those years had been fine but they simply didn't have the 'chemistry' they were looking for.

I got side-tracked.

Sometimes something like a difference between Praise and Worship and hymn singing with choirs Can make a difference. Up until 4 yrs ago --we'd both gone to the same church -- I would never had imagined being at a different church. We'd left one local church because of church politics. My husband vowed he'd never go back. We visited most every church in close by towns and ended up being a 45-minute drive from one we'd been invited to. My husband and older son Loved it -- I didn't think it would last because of the distance involved. But they continued and so did I -- for 3 yrs. Tried to be more involved but it wasn't practical. Choir practice was the same day as services so he joined the choir. I'd sit in the auditorium crocheting. After a while I'd developed gastro problems and traveling that far was Not practical. So when he was traveling I'd stay home and go to a local church. When he got back home, he tried going to the same small church. He didn't really like that small of a church. So we went back to 45 - minutes traveling. And then I ended up staying home for a while -- then -- after we'd talked about it several times -- he said I had a car -- go back locally if I want to. The bigger church had changed too Praise and Worship - no more choir. So he won't go back locally. He's not willing to move so that we Can be in the same church.

So -- here we are going to two different Baptist churches in two different towns.

Back when we were raising kids -- he worked all the time -- now that he's retired -- he's around all the time -- his personality Really comes out. So I can Now see why couples who've been together for 30 - 40 yrs and longer end up splitting up. Raising kids kept them together. They've managed to become different people -- sometimes they find their way back to each other and sometimes Not.

Marriage Always needs prayer and Godly friends.

There is not one congregation that is %100 right %100 present of the time.. how does one flesh sit on different pews... I married a non practicing Catholic kid in 1964. So much for the Pentecostal pastors daughter.. :RpS_wink: I would love to go to church as one....

Making a vow before God to love honor and cherish at the age of 17... Over these years doing my best to keep that vow ... the honor and cherish ones are easy there has been times i had to choose to love .. My vow before God matters to me ..

Christian denominations matter some Having a God centered marriage matter more

• Like 2

There is not one congregation that is %100 right %100 present of the time.. how does one flesh sit on different pews... I married a non practicing Catholic kid in 1964. So much for the Pentecostal pastors daughter.. :RpS_wink: I would love to go to church as one....

Making a vow before God to love honor and cherish at the age of 17... Over these years doing my best to keep that vow ... the honor and cherish ones are easy there has been times i had to choose to love .. My vow before God matters to me ..

Sond doctrine and God centered marriage are both pretty important, neglecting either one isn't to good.

• Like 1

I wonder how married couple one a Protestant and a Catholic can have true fellowship.

My wife and I both had very close church backgrounds, We both went to seminary together, so we both kept equally in our Christian education. By the way she got better grades, and she helped me with typing my papers as computers were not yet hatched or who ever they came to be.

My wife has a better recall than I do. I so dearly love my wife, I definitely got the better end of the deal in marring her! I am so vert blessed. Besides all the above she is my care giver, if not for here I would be in some kind of old folks home. LOL No in all seriousness If ever there is an example of a Proverbs wife I have her.

• Like 3

I wonder how married couple one a Protestant and a Catholic can have true fellowship.

My wife and I both had very close church backgrounds, We both went to seminary together, so we both kept equally in our Christian education. By the way she got better grades, and she helped me with typing my papers as computers were not yet hatched or who ever they came to be.

My wife has a better recall than I do. I so dearly love my wife, I definitely got the better end of the deal in marring her! I am so vert blessed. Besides all the above she is my care giver, if not for here I would be in some kind of old folks home. LOL No in all seriousness If ever there is an example of a Proverbs wife I have her.

That is so Sweet of you.

I live in a smallish Chek / RCC town. We went to the small Baptist church for a few years -- at Christmas time everyone went to the RCC Christmas program. Many of the couples we got to know were a combo of both. The people from the Baptist church would see us at the RCC recreation hall and ignore us. And the people from the RCC would see us and ignore us or give us this 'look' like who are You and what are you doing Here.

The Baptist church didn't teach much, if any, doctrine. They preach 'feel good' sermons.

• Like 1

I am a good cook :RpS_wink:

• Like 2

I look at the big picture.... My wife grew up Baptist, i was Assemblies, but at the same time never hold to any Denomination's doctrine... We judge things with the Word of God, which at times points to errors in all denominations.. I've disagreed with many points from Assembles, Baptist, Methodist, Nondemination, etc... Been to all and so long as God's truth is declared and people stop appeasing the world to really only gain numbers, i can worship anywhere

• Like 3

I guess these things would have to be resolved before marriage.

That would be logical and ideal.

Even if the two agreed at the time of marriage they may later change. Let's do a hypothetical. Both are reformed baptists at marriage. After 5 years the husband become a JW. After 10 years of marriage they still disagreed. They also have a child who is 8.

Now what?

Well, they can try to reconcile their differences but the hasn't worked in the past. If they are both strong in their beliefs this seems unlikely.

Follow the male beliefs because he is the spiritual leader (that's why I purposely made the male the JW) .... yeah, that's no good if you believe Jesus is God and you are the woman.

Each parent go to a church they prefer ... well, this is problematic but I suppose a reasonable compromise for the husband and wife, but you still have a child in limbo.

Perhaps go to a counselor who may decide and he says to cutthe kid in 1/2 ... well, that worked once but I don't think it will this time.

Each parent try to convince the child their beliefs are true .... not so good.

Flip a coin ... Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord (bites to lose that flip)

I think you have a no win situation. Good luck.

I am a good cook :RpS_wink:

That would definitely do the trick. The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. :)

I guess these things would have to be resolved before marriage.

Even if the two agreed at the time of marriage they may later change. Let's do a hypothetical. Both are reformed baptists at marriage. After 5 years the husband become a JW. After 10 years of marriage they still disagreed. They also have a child who is 8.

Now what?

Well, they can try to reconcile their differences but the hasn't worked in the past. If they are both strong in their beliefs this seems unlikely.

Follow the male beliefs because he is the spiritual leader (that's why I purposely made the male the JW) .... yeah, that's no good if you believe Jesus is God and you are the woman.

Each parent go to a church they prefer ... well, this is problematic but I suppose a reasonable compromise for the husband and wife, but you still have a child in limbo.

Perhaps go to a counselor who may decide and he says to cutthe kid in 1/2 ... well, that worked once but I don't think it will this time.

Flip a coin ... Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord (bites to lose that flip)

My question would be Why he changed to being JW? That Could split up a marriage. Did the husband come from a JW background and he changed for his wife?

And , yes, this is purely hypothetical. But if it could be used to help guide others -- make someone think twice, all the better.

At times, a couple doesn't think about what religion to raise a child in, because they are simply wanting to have a baby together. And having that baby In the picture will cause them to think a whole lot more seriously About their religious beliefs.

And, yes, the child would be the one really confused.

The reformed Baptist would be more likely to be in Bible?

The reformed Baptist wife could ask for prayer for her husband.

And, maybe, she could start trying to understand the JW beliefs of her husband. Comparing those belief To the Bible. And be the most loving, caring wife she can be.

Some spouses have chosen to leave a marriage for the sake Of the child.

Children Do ask questions -- maybe That would be what turns the parents around.

That's one reason couples need to keep their focus on God. Need to be able to talk about serious stuff and not just the fluff.

I look at the big picture.... My wife grew up Baptist, i was Assemblies, but at the same time never hold to any Denomination's doctrine... We judge things with the Word of God, which at times points to errors in all denominations.. I've disagreed with many points from Assembles, Baptist, Methodist, Nondemination, etc... Been to all and so long as God's truth is declared and people stop appeasing the world to really only gain numbers, i can worship anywhere

God's Word is where doctrine comes from. And we're supposed to compare what any preacher / teacher is saying With God's Word. We learn a lot that way.

Interesting, I've always found it easier to Love, To pray and desire goodness in the lives of some. And considerably more difficult to actually like some people and enjoy spending much time with them.

Now what?

Lets be clear on what you are saying here - both were considered genuinely saved at marriage - but later the husband apostasizes. That puts us into the territory of 1 Cor 7:10-16

The man wasn't strong in his beliefs - if he was he would never have apostatized in the first place

No the wife goes to a church, the husband is not going to a church, he is going to a kingdom hall - we must never buy into their attempts to legitimize the JWs claims to be more mainstream - their meetings are not churches!

I'm sure your trying to make a point - but eh?

Sadly in such a situation that is going to be case, happily we have a good to trust in who promises us that in a home where one parent is living for Christ the children are blessed (1 Cor 7:14)

I think that is a statement that denies the grace and power of God to work in any situation - in reality the situation you paint is no different to the christian wife and mother who is married to any unbeliever (a situation that you will find in every church) - to suggest that such a no win situation is a clear contradiction of 1 Cor 7:16 and Rom 8:28. It is a situation where the wife has to look to Christ to help her and bless, and to protect her children and save them (as well as her husband)

to suggest that such a no win situation is a clear contradiction of 1 Cor 7:16 and Rom 8:28.

I define "no win" as the less than ideal situation in which both the father and mother of the child have true faith (this being from a human viewpoint). Assuming 'win' means salvation, 1 Corinthians 7:16 does not guarantee a win for the non believer (son or husband). Romans 8:28 guarantees a win for the wife, but not necessarily a win for the husband or son. Again, when I speak of "no win" a speak from a human perspective. In the end (reality) it is God who in His sovereignty that picks all the winners and losers in any situation. There is no winning or losing or luck, just His selection for His glory via His method.

I think that is a statement that denies the grace and power of God to work in any situation

I believe God is sovereign and in control of all situations. Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord (bites to lose that flip) is evidence of this assertion in my opinion. Proverbs 19:21, Proverbs 20:24

to suggest that such a no win situation is a clear contradiction of 1 Cor 7:16 and Rom 8:28.

I define "no win" as the less than ideal situation in which both the father and mother of the child have true faith (this being from a human viewpoint). Assuming 'win' means salvation, 1 Corinthians 7:16 does not guarantee a win for the non believer (son or husband). Romans 8:28 guarantees a win for the wife, but not necessarily a win for the husband or son. Again, when I speak of "no win" a speak from a human perspective. In the end (reality) it is God who in His sovereignty that picks all the winners and losers in any situation. There is no winning or losing or luck, just His selection for His glory via His method.

I think that is a statement that denies the grace and power of God to work in any situation

I believe God is sovereign and in control of all situations. Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord (bites to lose that flip) is evidence of this assertion in my opinion. Proverbs 19:21, Proverbs 20:24

I can't follow you here - I don't understand what 'true faith' from a 'human standpoint is' true faith is an objective reality - my point is that in your hypothetical situation if the mother gives her situation up to the Lord she most certainly does win.

Agreed, the mother is a winner. All Christians are 'winners' as you pointed out in Romans 8:28.

• Like 1

Now what?

Lets be clear on what you are saying here - both were considered genuinely saved at marriage - but later the husband apostasizes. That puts us into the territory of 1 Cor 7:10-16

The man wasn't strong in his beliefs - if he was he would never have apostatized in the first place

No the wife goes to a church, the husband is not going to a church, he is going to a kingdom hall - we must never buy into their attempts to legitimize the JWs claims to be more mainstream - their meetings are not churches!

I'm sure your trying to make a point - but eh?

Sadly in such a situation that is going to be case, happily we have a good to trust in who promises us that in a home where one parent is living for Christ the children are blessed (1 Cor 7:14)

I think that is a statement that denies the grace and power of God to work in any situation - in reality the situation you paint is no different to the christian wife and mother who is married to any unbeliever (a situation that you will find in every church) - to suggest that such a no win situation is a clear contradiction of 1 Cor 7:16 and Rom 8:28. It is a situation where the wife has to look to Christ to help her and bless, and to protect her children and save them (as well as her husband)

A comment -- they were together for the 1st five years, but then came their child and after That he became the JW. This makes me wonder if he was brought up JW, changed for his wife, but after their child came, His parents pressured him into coming back to JW so they could bring up their grand child in the JW church. That scenario is bound to end up with a split-up. Two very different belief systems and a minor child. One or the other of them is going to end up leaving the marriage.

As for the 1 Corinthians &:14 passage -- that is assuming that the couple stays together with one being a believer and the other choosing to stay though Not a believer. That the child/children involved would be blessed through the faith of the believing spouse.

That's not always the case, though. We knew a family years ago. They had both been non-believers -- both good income and in the cocktail party circle -- she was very attractive and great personality. A good-looking couple. She was invited to a Bible study and after going for a while, accepted Jesus Christ as Savior. Immediately she realized she couldn't keep going to the cocktail parties. She explained to her husband about her faith and feelings towards the drinking. He was Not impressed. She was given a choice -- either him and the income and cocktail parties OR out the door. They had two young kids. She ended up with very little income -- a two-story house that she couldn't afford to heat all of. She had to consolidate into the downstairs with not much heat and had an older model car.

She and her husband had joint custody and they gravitated to their Dad and his new wife and nice house and income. To 'them' , Mom and church was much to conservative. When they were old enough to decide -- they chose their Dad and step-mom.

Mom ended up meeting a guy who'd moved into the small town. He was a believer -- his wife had left him. So Mom and new guy Did get together after a while and started a new family and stayed in that church.

Why not just use the term "salvation". And Where is a person Placing their faith. And the husband and wife deciding To stay together in spite of 'now' being unequally yoked together in marriage, does Not guarantee salvation.

Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose." (older NIV study Bible)