The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
William

No New Revelation!

John Calvin

"For in [Christ] 'all treasures of knowledge and wisdom are hid' (Col. 2:3) with such great abundance and richness that either to hope for or to seek any new addition to these treasures is truly to arouse God's wrath and provoke him against us. It is for us to hunger for, seek, look to, learn, and study Christ alone, until that great day dawns when the Lord will fully manifest the glory of his Kingdom (cf. I Cor. 15:24) and will show himself for us to see him as he is (I John 3:2). And for this reason this age of ours is designated in the Scriptures as 'the last hour' (I John 2:18), the 'last days' (Heb. 1:2), the 'last times' (I Peter 1:20), that no one should delude himself with a vain expectation of some new doctrine or revelation. 'For at many times and in many ways the Heavenly Father formerly spoke through the prophets; but in these last days he has spoken in his beloved Son' (Heb. 1:1-2), who alone can reveal the Father (Luke 10:22); and he has indeed manifested the Father fully, as far as we require, while we now see him in a mirror (I Cor. 13:12)" (Institutes 4.18.20).

"This, however, remains certain: the perfect doctrine he has brought has made an end to all prophecies. All those, then, who, not content with the gospel, patch it with something extraneous to it, detract from Christ's authority. The Voice that thundered from heaven, 'This is my beloved Son; ... hear him' (Matt. 17:5; cf. Matt. 3:17), exalted him by a singular privilege beyond the rank of all others. Then this anointing was diffused from the Head to the members, as Joel had foretold: 'Your sons shall prophesy and your daughters ... shall see visions,' etc. (Joel 2:28). But when Paul says that He was given to us as our wisdom (I Cor. 1:30), and in another place, 'In him are hid all the treasures of knowledge and understanding' (Col. 2:3), he has a slightly different meaning. That is, outside Christ there is nothing worth knowing, and all who by faith perceive what he is like have grasped the whole immensity of heavenly benefits. For this reason, Paul writes in another passage: 'I decided to know nothing precious ... except Jesus Christ and him crucified' (I Cor. 2:2). This is very true, because it is not lawful to go beyond the simplicity of the gospel And the prophetic dignity in Christ leads us to know that in the sum of doctrine as he has given it to us all parts of perfect wisdom are contained" (Institutes 2.15.2).

"And when he speaks of the last times, he intimates that there is no longer any reason to expect any new revelation; for it was not a word in part that Christ brought, but the final conclusion. It is in this sense that the Apostles take ' the last times' and 'the last days.' And Paul means the same when he says, 'Upon whom the ends of the world are come' (I Cor. 10:11). If God then has spoken now for the last time, it is right to advance thus far; so also when you come to Christ, you ought not to go farther: and these two things it is very needful for us to know. For it was a great hindrance to the Jews that they did not consider that God had deferred a fuller revelation to another time; hence, being satisfied with their own Law, they did not hasten forward to the goal. But since Christ has appeared, an opposite evil began to prevail in the world; for men wished to advance beyond Christ. What else indeed is the whole system of Popery but the overleaping of the boundary which the Apostle has fixed? As, then, the Spirit of God in this passage invites all to come as far as Christ, so he forbids them to go beyond the last time which he mentions. In short, the limit of our wisdom is made here to be the Gospel" (Comm. on Heb. 1:1).

• Like 4

Willian You don't have to be a Calvinist to know there are is new revelation! The Bible gives a stern warning in Revelation 22:18,19 that this is the END and there are no more additions, the book of Revelation is complete.

• Like 1

Willian You don't have to be a Calvinist to know there are is new revelation! The Bible gives a stern warning in Revelation 22:18,19 that this is the END and there are no more additions, the book of Revelation is complete.

I never really thought about this to such an extent. But Calvin, I think brings a distinction between Revelation and Illumination. No new Revelation! Though we pray for Illumination by the Holy Spirit in study of Scripture.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

I never really thought about this to such an extent. But Calvin, I think brings a distinction between Revelation and Illumination. No new Revelation! Though we pray for Illumination by the Holy Spirit in study of Scripture.

God bless,

William

Yes, we pray that the Holy Spirit will illuminate the Word as we read. I have often re-read a verse or chapter many times, and each time I find something new and the Word is Illuminated!

• Like 1

The way I see it, illumination and revelation are the same thing. I think God reveals Himself to us the same way He revealed Himself in the beginning.

I know a lot of people see it differently: they seem to think God sat down and just told these guys everything He wanted them to know. Or He gave them dreams and visions like what happened to John on the island.

I can't help but remember Jesus appearing to the disciples on the road, after His resurrection. They could not recognize Him in the physical. It is like He did not want them to see Him in the physical, so that He could show them Himself in the Scriptures. He revealed Himself to them in Scriptures, then they saw Him in the flesh.

He kind of did the same thing to John the Baptist when he sent his disciples to see if Jesus is who they were waiting for. Jesus healed the sick, deaf ears are opened, blind eyes see, and the captives are freed. In doing this, Jesus knew that John the Baptist knew this was prophecy about the Messiah, because John knew the Scriptures so well. Jesus was revealing Himself to John in the Scriptures.

And none of the disciples knew Scripture better than Paul. He was a Pharisee of Pharisees, trained in the law from a child. And once Paul knew that Jesus is who He said He was, he went back to scripture to see what he had missed. He saw parallels of the OT Scriptures and the reality of Christ. This is why I believe Paul wrote most of the books in NT cannon. He had more revelation than any of the others, but his revelations came by seeing Christ in Scripture.

This is why Paul writes more about the end times (a mention in almost everyone of his books) because he saw the parallels with the traditional Jewish weddings. And how he compared Sarah and Hagar to the two covenants of law and Grace. Things like that.

The Holy Spirit pointed these things out to Paul as He reflected on the Scriptures. And the Holy Spirit does the same today for us, but only if we are seeking truth. This is what Jesus said the Holy Spirit was being given to us for.

He reveals Himself thru scripture, and then we are illuminated.

Posted (edited)

God bless,

William

Are we assuming that our early Christian brothers had all of God intended interpretations figured out? Is there any sealed until our time?

To understand what the Lord is coming back for. It will help to discern the scriptures properly. Today, with our computers, is what God said would happen in the last days. Daniel 12:4: “But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.”

This suggests there are some things to be unlocked in the last generation, ours. Whether Revelation or Illumination: I don't know, but I would like to think that I am open to it.

5206.gif.e3b88b2804b0d2ad76a65f53112230aa.gif

Edited by deade
Cosmetics

Ephesians 1:17

I think we should be seeking wisdom and revelation

• Like 2

Is that what Ephesians 1:17 says?

• 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him,

Do you believe the Canon is still open and new Scripture is being introduced and written today? Do you have as the OP conveys, an expectation of new doctrine or revelation? You either believe that Jesus brought an end to all prophecies or you believe Prophets etc still speak, and the Canon has not been brought to a close.

God bless,

William

• 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him,

Do you believe the Canon is still open and new Scripture is being introduced and written today? Do you have as the OP conveys, an expectation of new doctrine or revelation? You either believe that Jesus brought an end to all prophecies or you believe Prophets etc still speak, and the Canon has not been brought to a close.

God bless,

William

William, do you think the two witnesses in Revelation 11 are literal or figurative? If literal, won't they be an exception to no new prophets?

God bless,

William

What do you consider a Prophet? I think my questions need be addressed, if you'll be so kind, as I find them relevant to a major problem among certain movements and denominations which hold to certain spiritual gifts continuing today. If the Scriptures or Canon is not closed, then that means offices of Prophets, Apostles, etc are still alive and held, therefore, gifts are needed in order to authenticate the individual's office. If the Canon is closed, then these people are false Teachers or Prophets. Mind you, a biblical Prophet never gets to make a false prophecy nor be incorrect, because a Prophet only speaks from God. And since a Prophet never speaks from himself but from God, the Prophet will never contradict himself nor any Prophet before him (unless we believe God contradicts himself?). Lastly, a Prophet will never make a false future prophecy. According to Law, if a Prophet does any of these they are false and ought to be punished to death. So what say you, are Prophets still alive today, and is the Canon still open? Should we write down and record whatever they say, adding it to Scripture?

God bless,

William

No, I believe ALL we need to be "just like Jesus" is already in Scripture. I believe ALL revelation is pointed out in Scripture by the Holy Spirit.

I believe most of the NT is nothing more than revelation of Jesus Christ in the old, as I pointed out in my previous post.

I believe prophecy could very well be real for today, but I don'

Think they will ever change what has already been established in Scripture. Nothing more to add, because all we need is already there.

I also think way too many people think they have a great understanding of scripture, missing very little, but still lack intimate knowledge of the Father. It's like they are more concerned knowing about Him, instead of knowing Him personally.

I don't think people really understand what prophecy is. So they totally miss the point of prophecy. If you think prophecy is ONLY to reveal something we can't know unless He tells us, or tells someone, like the book of Revelation, then yes that has ended. No question.

Where as in the OT if a prophecy didn' come true, that was a false prophet. In the NT we a are told to bring those prophecies to the elders and they will discern in light of scripture. Because, as Paul points out, we can only prophecy in part.

check out my earlier post, it only two or three up from here.

I believe you mean that there is no new Special Revelation.

Any time God reveals Himself to us thru His Word, it is special. Pretty much ALL revelation is thru His Word.

He shows me things all the time. Things that are in His word, that He reveals to me because I wasn't seeing it or wasn't reading it right. REVELATION God revealing Himself.

Any time God reveals Himself to us thru His Word, it is special. Pretty much ALL revelation is thru His Word.

He shows me things all the time. Things that are in His word, that He reveals to me because I wasn't seeing it or wasn't reading it right. REVELATION God revealing Himself.

Davidtaylorjr is making a theological distinction between universal, natural, or general revelation (through creation) and special revelation (through Scripture).

Again, I believe Calvin is making a distinction between Revelation and Illumination.

God bless,

William

Davidtaylorjr is making a theological distinction between universal, natural, or general revelation (through creation) and special revelation (through Scripture).

Again, I believe Calvin is making a distinction between Revelation and Illumination.

God bless,

William

That is correct. And yes, there is a definite distinction between Revelation and Illumination. Illumination is giving us understanding to the Revelation that has been made.

• Like 1

God bless,

William

I know, but all revelation is God revealing Himself to whomever is open to receive it. We have every opportunity to receive as much (even more) revelation as the apostles had, because they received all they received by the Holy Spirit showing them (revealing to them) in the Scriptures. They never got full revelation, and neither do we. But it is all there in the Scriptures.

of course there are some things we are not meant to know, none of us, and those will not be revealed. But when we see Jesus face to face, we will be like Him because we "will see Him as He is" .

That is real revelation. Knowing what man calls the different types of Revelations, and which man first called it that, is not God revealing Himself. I think too many Christians are looking for the wrong type of revelation.

of course there are some things we are not meant to know, none of us, and those will not be revealed. But when we see Jesus face to face, we will be like Him because we "will see Him as He is" .

Scripture please.

God bless,

William

I know, but all revelation is God revealing Himself to whomever is open to receive it. We have every opportunity to receive as much (even more) revelation as the apostles had, because they received all they received by the Holy Spirit showing them (revealing to them) in the Scriptures. They never got full revelation, and neither do we. But it is all there in the Scriptures.

That is real revelation. Knowing what man calls the different types of Revelations, and which man first called it that, is not God revealing Himself. I think too many Christians are looking for the wrong type of revelation.

I don't think there is any Scriptural backing for that. The apostles received special revelation when writing the Scriptures. We do not receive that today at all.

• Like 1

Scripture please.

God bless,

William

For Which? Both?

Somethings we are not meant to know? His return, for example.

for "when he appears we will be like Him for we will see Him as He is" 1 John 3:2

For Which? Both?

Somethings we are not meant to know? His return, for example.

for "when he appears we will be like Him for we will see Him as He is" 1 John 3:2

I believe he wanted Scripture, as do I, regarding that we will have more revealed to us than even the apostles etc.

I believe he wanted Scripture, as do I, regarding that we will have more revealed to us than even the apostles etc.

My point is that all that God wants us to know about Himself is in Scripture. They did not have a full revelation of that. All that they did get, they got the same way we get it. By the Holy Spirit revealing it thru His Word. Did the Holy Spirit finish revealing to them? No. So there is more to reveal. Does God choose Who He reveals Himself to? No, He is no respective of persons. The more truth we seek, the more we will find. They did not find it all, but it is all there in Scripture. You don't have to agree with me, but it should be clear what I am saying.

My point is that all that God wants us to know about Himself is in Scripture. They did not have a full revelation of that. All that they did get, they got the same way we get it. By the Holy Spirit revealing it thru His Word. Did the Holy Spirit finish revealing to them? No. So there is more to reveal. Does God choose Who He reveals Himself to? No, He is no respective of persons. The more truth we seek, the more we will find. They did not find it all, but it is all there in Scripture. You don't have to agree with me, but it should be clear what I am saying.

That is illumination, not revelation.

• Like 1

That is illumination, not revelation.

Scripture please

Scripture please

Have you even read the Original Post?

God bless,

William

Scripture please

There would not be any Scripture for that. Revelation is a theological term created for a concept.