The Protestant Community

Are you Protestant? Or, are you sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. Register in less than a minute, it is simple, fast, and free! We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism. Those who would challenge the peace and harmony that we enjoy here as fellow believers are directed to another forum.

Enjoy your fellowship

In order to understand the importance of Christian fellowship, we must first understand what Christian fellowship is and what it isn’t. The Greek words translated “fellowship” in the New Testament mean essentially a partnership to the mutual benefit of those involved. Christian fellowship, then, is the mutually beneficial relationship between Christians, who can’t have the identical relationship with those outside the faith. Those who believe the gospel are united in the Spirit through Christ to the Father, and that unity is the basis of fellowship. This relationship is described by Jesus in His high-priestly prayer for His followers in John 17:23. The importance of true Christian fellowship is that it reinforces Christ centeredness in our mind and helps us to focus on Christ and His desires and goals for us. As iron sharpens iron, in true Christian fellowship Christians sharpen one another's faith and stir one another to exercise that faith in love and good works, all to God’s glory.
William

Member Interview Questions

Please feel free to share a little about yourself. We'd like to get to know our members better. Take your time and answer each question as best as you can, and don't feel obligated to answer all questions!

1. Briefly introduce yourself.
  2. How and how long ago did you become a Christian? Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).
  3. What experiences have shaped you spiritually?
  4. What evidences do you have that you have been given life by God?
  5. What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life?
  6. What activities characterize your evangelistic interest?
  7. What are your specific and regular practices regarding the spiritual disciplines (e.g., personal prayer, Bible study, meditation, stewardship, learning, etc.)?
  8. Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year?
  9. When you're met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your personality, your beliefs, or something else?
  10. Any advice for new or other members on Christforums?

God bless,

William

• Like 3

Briefly introduce yourself.

My name is William. Christforums site owner and admin. I am mid 40s married with 5 children. I am an active member of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church in San Jose California.

How and how long ago did you become a Christian? Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).

Roughly 14 years ago I became Christian. I do not have fond memories of my conversion, mostly because I was at the lowest of my life at the time. I was an addict (now recovered) and highly suicidal. Matter of fact it was moments before a suicide attempt that my Christian life began.

What experiences have shaped you spiritually?

I would say the Christian community at church. I often here advice given to recovering addicts which includes finding a support group. For me, the church has provided an escape from a drug that has a 93% fail rate towards recovery. The rational reasons for my recovery are superb leadership from the pulpit, the congregational support, and conviction of the Holy Spirit have all contributed to a spiritual life which is quite sobering.

What evidences do you have that you have been given life by God?

There was a long period in life when I was not aware of God, when I took no interests or cared not to know anything about God. But then there was a pivotal point which I briefly mentioned. That was the point in life which all before I very much regret and dislike sharing or talking about. For me, my life began at my conversion, and I went through a drastic change, so drastic to me, that I even changed my name. There hasn't been a day that has gone by since the day I experienced the "breath of life" that I have not in some form laid my heart and/or thoughts upon the Lord. Life without God is meaningless to me, and that explains why to some degree I have such a disconnect with my prior life some 14 years ago.

What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life?

To love God, I would think means to praise, worship, and ultimately to enjoy and Glorify God. In order to Love God, I must know Him, the more I know about God the more I love Him. I don't understand when many people today tell me it isn't about knowledge but Christian fellowship. I often muse on that because I do not believe we have to have one or the other. We can have both, and I find it impossible to love someone I know nothing about. Therefore, the knowledge of God brings me more intimacy in my relationship with God.

What activities characterize your evangelistic interest?

Most of my evangelistic activities center online, mainly through this specific site. However, I rarely turn down an opportunity to talk about God in person.

What are your specific and regular practices regarding the spiritual disciplines (e.g., personal prayer, Bible study, meditation, stewardship, learning, etc.)?

I pray as needed throughout the day, and often find myself praying at least half a dozen times a day. One of the reasons I like this forum is every topic or subject is a morsel to chew on mentally. I often find myself curious about a subject and next thing I know much time has elapsed during the research and compiling of a forum response. In this way, every post is a research opportunity to understand God better as I do believe God invites one and all to rationally investigate. Of course, I think there's a wonderful secondary aspect of having come together to study and worship. We get to see the beauty of God in each other! I learn a lot about a person in these settings, online or personal bible study.

Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year?

Pretty much John Calvin and Calvin's commentary on the Bible. I read from dead theologians which have been tested by criticism and scrutiny throughout the course of centuries. I do read from living ones too. But again I prefer dead theologians from the Reformed genre of our Christian faith. I enjoy them because we know whether someone has held true to the faith on their death bed, or rather fell off their rocker and made false prophecies.

This year, I have not completed a single book from cover to cover.

When you're met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your personality, your beliefs, or something else?

Beliefs. At least this has been a source of division in my family. Especially on the subject of politics, my Christian conservative convictions seemingly offend many liberals. I'd rather talk about something different, but if I am forced to listen to someone that opposes everything that I believe, I at least ask for the mutual opportunity to be heard in response. If not, lets talk about something else?

Any advice for new or other members on Christforums?

I think a lot of times people want to be around other people that think and act exactly the same. As the body of Christ, that'd be like all hands congregating together, and all feet over there. All lungs here, all livers over there. Point is, each of us are unique but we work towards a common goal. Something to think about, each of us are a member of the body which has a different function.

God bless,

William

• Like 7

#1 My real name is Douglas, I'm a 28 year old hermit of sorts. I'm a conservative Presbyterian in a PCA church.

#2 I was about 24 at the time, I was sitting in my living room reading Scripture and found I couldn't neglect that truth any longer, thus started finding who I really was in Christ.

#3 That's a hard one to answer.

#4 Faith, odibence and a love for God's truth and instructions. Along with the change from being a hot tempered, self serving, anxiety ridden mess to who Christ made me today.

#5 Odibence and worship. Living for God and striving to learn his ways for my life by study of his word.

#6 All online. In secular chat room, forums, and YouTube comment sections I make a point to lead in conversation leading to the Gospel.

#7 I make it a point to at least read Scripture once a day. I'm crital of how I pray as to keep my prayers as the Lord teaches us to pray.

#8 RC Sproul and Lorraine Bottner. Unfortunately I don't have access to much reading material, but I just found an old copy of Pilgrim's Progress at a flea market, a great read and hard to put down once you start reading. I read though most of a book I got earlier this year titled Neighboring Faiths, it looks the history and beliefs of most religions you would come across in America from a Christian world view.

#9 Definitely my beliefs.

#10 Be sincere and respectful, if you're here just to win arguments and boost your ego or to imposse heresy on other believers you'll find your time here too short.

​​​​​​

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

1) My name is Carlo and I am 38 years old, divorced, and I have no children (aside from my two small dogs my ex-wife let me keep). I was born and raised Catholic but I left that church approximately 4 years ago. I attended Catholic high school and I made my communion and confirmation in the Catholic church. I am now a non-denominational Christian but I have found a small Presbyterian church near my house which I may start attending. I attended one service and I enjoyed it.

2) I was born and raised a Christian. I went to Catholic high school. I made my communion as a child and my confirmation as a teenager. A Seventh Day Adventist (SDA) taught me the problems and apostasy of that church so I left and started studying the Bible with an SDA group. I then realized the problems with the SDA church and Ellen White and I stopped studying with them. I am now a non-denominational Christian without a home church.

3) I have a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering so I like evidence and proof of claims prior to jumping on board. The crystal clear "proof" of design in the cell from the information in DNA to the molecular machinery convinced me there is a Designer of living systems. The fine-tuning of the universe convinced me there is a Designer of the entire super-symmetrical universe. The creation account, prophetic writings, and the Lord Jesus Christ in the Holy Scriptures prove to me that the Godhead is the Designer and Creator.

4) My existence is physically impossible, yet, I live. Glory be to God.

5) Loving God means to care about Him more than your own life. Be willing to suffer and lay down your life for Him. I believe I have suffered persecution based on my belief in the Holy Bible and I will stand firm with that belief based on my love for God. There were also times that were difficult to proselytize but I did it anyway.

6) I enjoy showing and explaining to others how living cells, DNA, and the universe are designed when I evangelize to them.

7) I like to pray two to three times per day and often throughout the day non-formally. I like to study the Bible throughout the week.

8) Matthew Henry is my favorite Christian writer. I often utilize his commentary when studying the Holy Bible. I read the Didache as well. I also read the Bible as I study it. Outside of Christian books (although sometimes related), I read a lot of books on warfare, intelligence, and conspiracy.

9) I believe there are spiritual reasons many times when I am met with opposition based on my beliefs that the Holy Bible is the inspired inerrant Word of God.

10) No advice at this time. Just thank you for the opportunity to post here. It is nice having a home among Christian brothers and sisters on the Internet.

Edited by CDF47
  • Like 7

Age 56 Husband, father and grandpa. I was raised in a many-generation Christian family of a partially Anabaptist flavor. I don't think I fit solidly in either Calvin or Arminius camps, but enjoy the debate. I lean a little more Dispensational than Covenental, but again, don't settle well in either camp.
  2. How and how long ago did you become a Christian? Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).
    I was raised believing in God and never didn't. In my teens I developed doubts and had to make a decision. I made a decision for Christ. God has no grandchildren, only children. Salvation is not inherited, each generation must own their sins and salvation and personal relationship with Christ for them-selves.
    My parents, periodic life crises, my wife, my church and most of all the Holy Spirit and the Bible have shaped and molded me.
    The witness of the Spirit within me, the miraculous change in my heart and thinking (not yet perfected). Hopefully some fruit.
  5. What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life?
    Desire for obedience coupled with actual obedience, a heart of praise and thanksgiving, faith through the storms of life, desire to share the Gospel with others and to lift up my Brothers and Sisters.
    I am a full-time missionary traveling throughout much of Asia. I use some photography and writing as well.
  7. What are your specific and regular practices regarding the spiritual disciplines (e.g., personal prayer, Bible study, meditation, stewardship, learning, etc.)?
    Daily Bible reading and study, group Bible study, fasting, prayer, Discipling others, preaching and teaching, humanitarian assistance, ongoing education, learning from others, periodic times of listening to God--which is hard for me.

I really have appreciated Kenneth Boa's "Handbook to Prayer" to keep prayer life on track and tuned up.
  8. Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year?
    Wow. A lot! I use a software program with well over 12,000 resources on a daily basis from a variety of perspectives. I also read, semi-voraciously when possible.
  9. When you're met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your personality, your beliefs, or something else?
    My personality can be a problem. I am gentle and soft on the exterior and a bit stiff and stubborn inside. That comes across, I think, as somewhat passive-aggressive or somehow doesn't meet people's expectations. I am working very hard to remedy that. I just want people to see Jesus and get self out of the way.

Learn and love, serve and build.

• Like 7

I love studying and defending the Trinity.

My name is Marc and I am 48 years old. I am married and have one daughter. I enjoy jogging and swimming.

I left the Roman Catholic church over 25 years ago because praying to Mary is a sin. My favorite Christian writers/theologians include (but are by no means limited to) Murray Harris, G. K. Beale, Frederick Danker, Thomas Schreiner, Moises Silva, James R. White, Norman Geisler, Joel B. Greene, William Mounce, Albert Barnes, A. T. Robertson, John Gill, B. B. Warfield, Steven Tsoukalas, Philip Towner, Matthew Poole and Matthew Henry.

My advice to new members and other members (as well as myself) is to realize more and more that the fear of the Lord ought to be our treasure (Isaiah 33:6).

• Like 8

1. Hello everyone I am "justme" in the real world outside of this forum I am know by Mike. I try to do a Charles Stanley's devotion ever day, I read Scriptures. I can't believe I will be 73 in June, my how the years have passed so quickly. I live day by day as my health is very poor.

2. My parents always had me in Sunday School and Church from when I was a baby. I was really nurtured in Jesus Christ as long as I can remember. At 11 years old I became fully aware of how sinful I truly I was. I went forward in a church service, as my Pastor had asked for anyone who wants to know for sure they are saved and going to heaven to come down, I did. On January 6, 1957 I confessed my sins and need for Jesus to come into my life and save me. On January 13, 1957 I was baptized as my confession of Jesus Christ being my Lord, in a small Baptist Church.

3 Mother was the prime Christian influence in my early life. She encouraged my Christian growth in helping me with my Sunday School lessons. My dad was moderately involved in church, I never saw him read the Bible, he went to the Worship service and helped on church building projects. But my Mother and I went to Sunday Night and Wednesday Prayer meeting services. I loved learning about Jesus and the Bible. My love for Jesus Christ and the Word grew more each year, that is still the same today. I love Jesus Christ and God the Father, The Holy Spirit lives within me. I continue to grow Spiritually.

4. John 3:16. God has promised me because I have put my faith and trust in Jesus Christ I have eternal life Ephesians 2:8 For by Grace I have been saved through faith in Jesus Christ.

5. The Bible says in Matthew 22:37....."You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind." Heart, soul and mind that really is what I am made up of, that is my complete being. My heart is the center of my emotional self. I love God and Jesus Christ with my emotions. My soul is where the Trinity is alive within me, I know totally that The Holy Spirit is working in me. Others have told me that they see the Lord working in my life, and that is one way I see Gods working through me to others.

6. First its in our family. With four adult children and 11 grandchildren and 2 great grand children, I make a very serious effort to pray for each and every one. Often with my wifes help we are able to have time alone with then. We pray with then and continue to share Jesus and our life as a n example of Christs love. I help teach 4th to 8th grade Sunday School, I go out on visitation night. I am preparing to preach soon for the first time an quite a while.

7. I don't like doing this as I am by no means an example. I pray all the time off and on during the day. I often fall asleep praying, I feel like there are so many things to pray for, my pastor the deacons , Church members , my large family, or President and staff, there are so many needs to pray for. I do Charles Stanley Bible reading and devotion daily. I often read the Bible a couple of times a day sometimes more. I go over my pastors sermon during the week, my wife and give financially to our church,(I won't say how much). My wife and I pray together, and we watch several Christian TV programs during the week, When we go somewhere we listen to Christian music and programs. My life is surrounded in Christ.

8. Kyle Idleman,Gary Chapman, Gary Thomas J. I. Packer Michael Youssef, Ravi Zacharias, Henry H. Mitchell, Fred B. Craddock, Steven Gregg. Lee Strobel. Commentators: Max Anders, Stephen J. Lawson, Glen S. Martin, Kenneth O. Gangel, Stephen J. Bramer, John MaCarthur, Theologians. Kenneth Scott Latourette, Emil Brunner, H. Leon McBeth, Millard J. Erickson Why; Many of the Theologians I had to read in Seminary and to be honest some I read just once. Some had a great effect on my thinking some I read just for the grade. I went to a Baptist seminary and my books reflect this theology.

The books I have read this years are; SACRED MARRIAGE by Gary Thomas, I highly recommend this book. At present I am reading GRACE IS GREATER by Kyle Ideman. If you think you know what Grace is, guess again this is a eye opening book.

9. The opposition I have faced has mainly been on this forum, and I believe its been on my Scripture beliefs, but it also could be my personality, you are welcome to express your opinion.

10. Start of by telling us something about you. Don't start off with some wild off beat stunning statement that will shock us. Just alow us to know you and your concerns

• Like 6

I was raised by my widowed mother in Los Angeles, California. My maternal grandmother was a Jewish Christian. Much of my Christian roots were developed by her. I was never taken to church by my mother. I went myself, occasionally.
    I tried to find Jesus at 12 years but became discouraged. I married once and divorced as an unbeliever. When my second marriage got into trouble from our drinking, I started listening to Christian radio. We knew we had to stop drinking, so we sought the Lord together.
  3. What experiences have shaped you spiritually? Upon conversion, God started speaking to me mainly by answering my questions with other questions. It is like a thought just appeared in my head. I had a Bible and stayed in my 18-wheeler bunk every other night. God got me to really dig into the word. God eventually led me into missions and preaching His word.
    I had asked God to let me have the gift of speaking in other tongues. It took some time, but I did get that gift. The fact that God communicates with me occasionally is proof also. I now realize I have had the Holy Spirit as soon as God started dealing with me.
  5. What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life? I see ones love toward God is shown through obedience to His word. I came to believe that the Ten Commandments are still a way to please God. Otherwise, just do little things differently in serving; that is all we have to offer.
    I have written two Christian non-fiction books. One is on stumbling blocks in our Christian walk; it has modern proverbs as well. The other is on end-days prophecy; with Bible-study topics.
    I keep the seventh day Sabbath and some of the dietary ordinances of the Old Testament. I feel Jesus is the One that gave them, and He doesn’t change. I also have to ask why He gave them, and then I have my answers. My prayer life and Bible studies I consider very personal.
  8. Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year? Since the computer age, with all the reference material available online, I seldom get to any single book. Let’s say I read at many. I don’t think in terms of favorites.
  9. When you're met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your personality, your beliefs, or something else? Most definitely my unorthodox beliefs. I have major issues with all the groups I fellowship with. I am far from, distance wise, from my fellow Sabbatarians, so I generally go to my Pentecostal brethren to worship. In either case, I have to ignore the teachings that I don’t agree with.
  10. Any advice for new or other members on Christforums? Let God teach you about the word. I was surprised when I realized what I thought the Bible said, and what it really says: are quite different.

• Like 6

My name is Fred. I was born in Toronto. I live in Texas. I became a U.S. citizen around 2003. I have a wife of 33 years and two sons, two daughters-in-law and one grandchild. All are Christians (well, the grandchild is only 9 months, but I am praying that she is ‘known’ by God). I am a software engineer contractor and hope to retire in next few months (maybe this week if I am lucky enough to be fired … I guess the politically correct term is ‘laid off’)

I don’t recall a time when I was not a Christian. I do recall my father explaining salvation and having me say a prayer but I believed before that.

I was fortunate to be born into a Christian family and I was surrounded by Christians. To the best of my knowledge all my grandparents, my parents, my 13 uncles and aunts and 17 cousins were all Christians (caveat: 4 cousins I don’t know well enough)

Aside: The next generation is not doing as well.

I admired my father and he believed and lived as if he believed.

Six years ago I decided to do a lot of theological studying.

But, this is from the human view point. The crux of the matter is the Holy Spirit regenerated me and He and only He shaped me and He used the above list as tools to accomplish His purpose.

God’s word. God’s veracity. God’s gift of faith.

John 14:15 If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

John 14:21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

I don’t have the gift of evangelism. I don’t back away if an opportunity arises, but I don’t look for opportunities. There is an exception: my two sons and indirectly stewardship

I like reading Systematic Theology.

R.C. Sproul, Wayne Grudem, Lewis Chafer, James White, Tom Constable, most authors of Systematic Theology.

I’ve never faced opposition of any note. I avoid it as best I can. For the most part, everything goes my way from a human standpoint and from a heavenly standpoint I would summarize with: “And we know that God works all things together for the good of those who love Him, who are called according to His purpose.”

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

My name is Andrew and I am 44 years of age. I was born and raised in Northern Virginia. I am an alumnus from George Mason University and my degree is in English.

How and how long ago did you become a Christian? Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).

I am a lifelong believer in Christ. I was raised a Baptist, but I found their theology lacking and the church I was raised in had liberal/ science based emphases that I thought cheapened the authority of the Bible and made everything into a metaphor. I converted to the Roman Catholic Church in 1995, but the scandals in the Church and the reactions of the hierarchy made me reconsider my position. I wanted a Biblically based church that put tradition in a respected, but subordinate level. That was when I sought out and was received by the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod in 2013.

Long hours of studying and prayer, coupled with retreats and revivals, have gone a long way to shape me in a spiritual fashion.

The faith that God has given me has been confirmed by several experiences than can be explained by nothing more than as answers to prayer. I would say that the fact that I am still alive is nothing short of a miracle, due to foolish choices I made as a teenager and young adult. God has been good to me and He has put good people in my life to keep my focus on Him.

What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life?

For a person to love God is an impossibility until the Holy Spirit has first engendered faith in that person. Love flourishes as a result of this faith and love of God means that He is the Absolute Sovereign over your life. You love your neighbor at least as much as you love yourself, but the Lord God always comes first, up to and including the point of suffering martyrdom.

I serve as an usher and a lector in my local church. I read the Bible and the Lutheran Confessions on a daily basis and I meditate on them throughout the course of the day.

What are your specific and regular practices regarding the spiritual disciplines (e.g., personal prayer, Bible study, meditation, stewardship, learning, etc.)?

As mentioned above, I do a Bible Study on a daily basis, followed by spontaneous, vocal prayer and concluding with a study of parts of the Lutheran Confessions. When called upon to testify of the hope that God has given me, I am inspired to do so with detail and enthusiasm.

Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year?

I am in the middle of reading Fatal Discord, by Michael massing, which details the lives and interaction of Martin Luther and Desiderius Erasmus. I have read a few biographies on Martin Luther ( including Brand Luther by Andrew Pettegree, Martin Luther by Eric Metaxas, and Martin Luther, Renegade and Prophet, by Lyndal Roper) and now, as I prepare for seminary, I am reading Called to Be God's People, Called to Believe, Teach and Confess and Called by the Gospel.

When you're met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your personality, your beliefs, or something else?

Well, as I consider my personality to be greatly informed by my beliefs, I'm thinking it might be a factor of both, adding on any kind of personal hostility that I might have inadvertently earned. I try to answer things with clarity, but it seems like there are times that I'm walking ( or hopping) around with my right foot shoved firmly down my throat.

Any advice for new or other members on Christforums?

I don't know what kind of advice I would be qualified to offer except to suggest that the topics discussed here be met with respect and a gentle presentation of your own point of view.

Edited by ConfessionalLutheran
Manual spell- checking.
  • Like 7

My name is Arthur. I am a 56 year old Reformed Baptist Pentecostal [Monergistic, Credobaptist, Non-cessationist] ... so something that I believe is pretty much guaranteed to rub everyone the wrong way.

I was saved in 1979, leaving Atheism for a total commitment to God. As near as I can tell, I am probably the first in my family line to serve God in 3 or 4 generations.

God's sense of humor. An atheist hears the Gospel from lay Catholic Charismatics. Then attends the Church of God of Indiana (Wesleyan) where a missionary from Africa to the United States explains the basics of Bible Precepts. Reading the Bible on my own, I come to Calvinism before I ever heard of Calvinism or Arminianism. Change of pastors and I moved to an Evangelical Free Church with an Adult Sunday School taught by a Moody graduate with a M.Div (who finally taught me the term Calvinism for what I believed). Some small group Bible Study with a Dallas Theological Seminary graduates added to lots of interesting late night discussions. Change of pastors led to hyper-liberalization in the church, so I landed in the Southern Baptist Church. Lastly ending up at a peculiar little local church that is technically Pentecostal, but has strong Moravian and Baptist leanings.

So God has allowed me to worship with a great diversity of the body of Christ. From my perspective, they all got something wrong in their theology, but they are all part of the Body of Christ. Fortunately, being foolish isn't grounds for excommunication or I would be in trouble.

I love this question. The fact that I am not debating whether to die or kill you, suggests that God has done SOMETHING on the inside. Seriously, I am not who I was.

There is something that defines who you are. Your identity is defined by your family or your gang or your tribe. I am ... (fill in the blank).

When God called, there was an exchange of identity. I ceased to be who I was, and I became who God said I was. Exodus 21:6 describes a relationship. I gave my soul to God and pierced my ear with an invisible Awl. I became God's man, to do with as he chose.

That relationship defines my identity. That is how I love God.

Ha. I suck at evangelism. It just is what it is. I try to tell people the truth, but they choose not to listen with 100% accuracy. If you can get them to the starting gate, I am much better at encouraging disciples to keep on growing.

My beliefs ... but if we are honest, I sort of go looking for trouble.

I'm willing to post a credobaptist position on a Reformed board ... face it, I am in the minority among these Presbyterians and Lutherans.

I'm willing to challenge a weak cessationist argument on a Baptist board.

Heck, in a pinch, I'm even willing to take up Wesleyan Arminianism (which I do not believe) just to make some Calvinist work for his victory.

That's probably a personality flaw. :RpS_biggrin:

• Like 8

Please feel free to share a little about yourself. We'd like to get to know our members better. Take your time and answer each question as best as you can, and don't feel obligated to answer all questions!

God bless,

William

1. Hi, my name is Scott.
  2. In 1986 after a few years of downward spiral and being a victim of crime, at the end of myself, with no religious background, in a quiet moment I began talking to a God I had never known even existed - and to my surprise, He answered. Some would call what happened a religious or out of body experience. But suddenly, I was taken in the spirit above the earth where the things that I had question God about - pretty much everything - He showed me. And then as quickly as it all happened I was then back in my body in a cold sweat, in awe, after which I felt a great sense of peace...and then everything in my life changed. One by one, my job, my relationship, where I lived, everything - and more importantly me, I was changed.
  3. Same answer, only then as a part of the changes going on, I stayed briefly where there was a bible in the room I was staying. I was drawn to it. I picked it up and started reading and couldn't put it down. I read it completely through from cover to cover, barely stopping to eat or sleep. As I did, it put words to what I was shown, and confirmed my experience, and my experience confirmed it - the Author was undoubtedly the same.
  4. My experience was more real than anything I have ever experienced of this world.
  5. If we love God, it is because He is in us, and we in Him.
  6. My evangelistic interests? I can't contain what God has done in my life, I have written two books, been on forums like this while neglecting the rest of life. But it is humbling too. I know things. It's hard to explain.
  7. After reading the bible cover to cover the first time, I started again at the beginning and read it over and over until I lost count, before ever setting foot in a church. It wasn't until I met my wife that I went to church, which we have done now together for years. We also read the bible and pray every morning together.
  8. I have read just a few Christian books, but have never really gotten much out of any. I prefer the bible.
  9. The opposition I have faced, is the same that killed the prophets - people do not receive the truth from God easily.
  10. My advice: Test every spirit, but also expect everything that is wrong or incomplete or missing or unknown in the world to be fulfilled - that is the prayer of the Son of God, and the promise from God. Don't expect wisdom to come from the wise and the learned. Don't expect the end to come with observation - it does not. And stop killing the messengers. As for the new: Life is not just "organic." The best things in life are proof of that. Seek those things, and behold the power of God to make life more than you could have imagined.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

***I am on an iPad, seems to be conflicting with the Forum here, however, I will do my best to make it work.

[*]Briefly introduce yourself.

My name is David, I’m a 52 year old male.

1...How and how long ago did you become a Christian? Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).

Hmm, well, I started at Calvary Chapel about 35 years ago at Calvary Chapel, Costa Mesa with Pastor Chuck Smith. I cannot say I was immediately a “Christian”...I was not aware of The Gospels Message of Salvation at the time, I was mostly interested in Truth and if God Almighty was who Scripture said He was, and Is...as time went along, I found that Jesus Christ was the ONLY absolute Truth on planet earth.

2...What experiences have shaped you spiritually?

Many willful pursuits of sin when I was young and dumb showed me how wrong I was...and the unquenchable desire to know God Almighty was what shaped me spiritually. I do not take credit for this, this was God’s Work, not mine.

3...What evidences do you have that you have been given life by God?

I am certain that all living creatures on earth from the foundations of the earth have been given life by God Almighty.

4...What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life?

I cannot speak for others, for me, there is no Love truly possible if I do not love God with all my heart and soul.

Among other great beneficial attributes by Pastor Chuck Smith’s teachings, I think people who listen to Pastor Chuck learn what it means to Love God.

I do listen to Pastor Chuck C3000 Series and most HisChannel.com Pastors every day.

True Biblical Love is Loving others enough to share The Gospel with them, in my opinion.

5...What activities characterize your evangelistic interest?

My Evangelical interests are to talk with others about The Gospel...though it is not my duty to Save Them (That is God’s Work), it is my duty to bring others The “Good News” Gospel. I do see that in today’s world, I see very few who care enough about Truth to pursue God and His Word.

6...What are your specific and regular practices regarding the spiritual disciplines (e.g., personal prayer, Bible study, meditation, stewardship, learning, etc.)?

My regular practices are to daily learn Scripture from Genesis to Revelation, much of it from Pastor Chuck Smith to this day...HisChannel.com, and a few, but not many Pastors whom I trust are Biblically grounded, like John MacArthur, Amir Tsarfati, for example.

7...Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year?

Pastor Chuck Smith, John MacArthur, Amir Tsarfati, and most HisChannel.com Pastors.

Theologians, not many, however, I do think Blaise Pascal had it correct, I love the Christian theology that came from Pascal.

Likewise, I am divided on Martin Luther because of his anti-Semitism, but I have admiration for what Martin Luther did in coming against the Catholic Church with calling out the apostasy of the Catholic Church, with his thesis.

I have little interest in any book that does not enhance Biblical understanding.

8...When you're met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your personality, your beliefs, or something else?

In today’s “Modern Age”, Yeshua, The Christ is among the most offensive things one can bring up in U.S. Society...the mere mention of Christ is becoming a hate crime...so, it is because of my beliefs, I’d say.

9...Any advice for new or other members on Christforums?

The only advice I can ever give to anyone is to seek The Way, The Truth, And The Life...which ONLY comes through Yeshua, The Christ...and, oh yes, my opinion is He Is Coming Very Soon.

Edited by yhvh4life
  • Like 3

1) I am a Bible believing Christian (child of the King of Kings). I was raised in the RCC and was also a nun. (fulfilled mom's wish) but not God's.

2) My conversion occurred after I left the convent and stopped trying to "earn" points toward my salvation.

I did a Bible study and discovered God's grace and the power of Calvary's sacrifice. It blew me away.

3) Knowing that God's promises are real and I can trust Him in my darkest hour.

4) Evidence is found in His word, and in my life by His grace through faith. HE is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

5) God's love is beyond our human comprehension. It cannot be measured in human terms. We speak of a parent, a spouse, or a child's love--but the infinite love of Calvary far surpasses!

6) Evangelism for me personally is reaching out to those around me who are "down and out" and looking for a "lift". They just haven't discovered yet that JESUS is that needed "lift".

7) Bible study is something that never grows old for me. The Spirit enlightens me through the scriptures.

8) The Bible

9) I am a meek and gentle person so I have not experienced serious opposition. Victory is in Christ, not in an argumentative spirit.

10) Advice? I am mostly a listener and never too old to learn from others.

• Like 4

1) I am a Bible believing Christian (child of the King of Kings). I was raised in the RCC and was also a nun. (fulfilled mom's wish) but not God's.

2) My conversion occurred after I left the convent and stopped trying to "earn" points toward my salvation.

I did a Bible study and discovered God's grace and the power of Calvary's sacrifice. It blew me away.

3) Knowing that God's promises are real and I can trust Him in my darkest hour.

4) Evidence is found in His word, and in my life by His grace through faith. HE is the Way, the Truth and the Life.

5) God's love is beyond our human comprehension. It cannot be measured in human terms. We speak of a parent, a spouse, or a child's love--but the infinite love of Calvary far surpasses!

6) Evangelism for me personally is reaching out to those around me who are "down and out" and looking for a "lift". They just haven't discovered yet that JESUS is that needed "lift".

7) Bible study is something that never grows old for me. The Spirit enlightens me through the scriptures.

8) The Bible

9) I am a meek and gentle person so I have not experienced serious opposition. Victory is in Christ, not in an argumentative spirit.

10) Advice? I am mostly a listener and never too old to learn from others.

Hi Toni, WELCOME TO CF, and thanks for telling us a little bit about yourself :) It sounds like you've had both a very interesting and a blessed life, PTL! The Lord used a former lifetime RC who, like yourself, became a Christian and eventually left the RCC, as the person who most directly led me to Him (something my friend Carmine told me he would have never even considered doing as a RC).

I was also like you in the fact that I grew up in/loved the church, was baptized as an infant, went to Sunday School, was confirmed, sang in the choir, and attended regularly through college (you know, the whole 9 yards), and always believed myself to be a Christian, of course (why wouldn't I have?), until the day I actually became one that is, two months after my 30th birthday.

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David

• Like 2

So nice to meet you David!

I learned late in life that I must take ownership of my faith and not rely on another's. Isn't it interesting the way the Spirit moves? I love the saying, "We devise and God designs."

• Like 2

***I am on an iPad, seems to be conflicting with the Forum here, however, I will do my best to make it work.

[*]Briefly introduce yourself.

My name is David, I’m a 52 year old male.

1...How and how long ago did you become a Christian? Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).

Hmm, well, I started at Calvary Chapel about 35 years ago at Calvary Chapel, Costa Mesa with Pastor Chuck Smith. I cannot say I was immediately a “Christian”...I was not aware of The Gospels Message of Salvation at the time, I was mostly interested in Truth and if God Almighty was who Scripture said He was, and Is...as time went along, I found that Jesus Christ was the ONLY absolute Truth on planet earth.

2...What experiences have shaped you spiritually?

Many willful pursuits of sin when I was young and dumb showed me how wrong I was...and the unquenchable desire to know God Almighty was what shaped me spiritually. I do not take credit for this, this was God’s Work, not mine.

3...What evidences do you have that you have been given life by God?

I am certain that all living creatures on earth from the foundations of the earth have been given life by God Almighty.

4...What does it mean for a person to love God? In what ways do you see true biblical love toward God demonstrated in your life?

I cannot speak for others, for me, there is no Love truly possible if I do not love God with all my heart and soul.

Among other great beneficial attributes by Pastor Chuck Smith’s teachings, I think people who listen to Pastor Chuck learn what it means to Love God.

I do listen to Pastor Chuck C3000 Series and most HisChannel.com Pastors every day.

True Biblical Love is Loving others enough to share The Gospel with them, in my opinion.

5...What activities characterize your evangelistic interest?

My Evangelical interests are to talk with others about The Gospel...though it is not my duty to Save Them (That is God’s Work), it is my duty to bring others The “Good News” Gospel. I do see that in today’s world, I see very few who care enough about Truth to pursue God and His Word.

6...What are your specific and regular practices regarding the spiritual disciplines (e.g., personal prayer, Bible study, meditation, stewardship, learning, etc.)?

My regular practices are to daily learn Scripture from Genesis to Revelation, much of it from Pastor Chuck Smith to this day...HisChannel.com, and a few, but not many Pastors whom I trust are Biblically grounded, like John MacArthur, Amir Tsarfati, for example.

7...Who are your favorite Christian writers, commentators, theologians, etc.? Why? What books have you read in the past year?

Pastor Chuck Smith, John MacArthur, Amir Tsarfati, and most HisChannel.com Pastors.

Theologians, not many, however, I do think Blaise Pascal had it correct, I love the Christian theology that came from Pascal.

Likewise, I am divided on Martin Luther because of his anti-Semitism, but I have admiration for what Martin Luther did in coming against the Catholic Church with calling out the apostasy of the Catholic Church, with his thesis.

I have little interest in any book that does not enhance Biblical understanding.

8...When you're met with opposition, has it been mostly related to your personality, your beliefs, or something else?

In today’s “Modern Age”, Yeshua, The Christ is among the most offensive things one can bring up in U.S. Society...the mere mention of Christ is becoming a hate crime...so, it is because of my beliefs, I’d say.

9...Any advice for new or other members on Christforums?

The only advice I can ever give to anyone is to seek The Way, The Truth, And The Life...which ONLY comes through Yeshua, The Christ...and, oh yes, my opinion is He Is Coming Very Soon.

Hi David, I just wanted to say WELCOME TO CF, and to thank you for sharing a little bit about yourself with us :) BTW, I've enjoyed Chuck Smith, his approach to doing church, his heart for the lost, and his teaching over the years, of course (my wife an I went to services in Costa Mesa a few years back and they seated us right below his pulpit, so we got to meet him/talk to him as well).

I also wanted to mention what a fine first name you have :D

God bless you!

--David

My name is Arthur. I am a 56 year old Reformed Baptist Pentecostal [Monergistic, Credobaptist, Non-cessationist] ... so something that I believe is pretty much guaranteed to rub everyone the wrong way.

I was saved in 1979, leaving Atheism for a total commitment to God. As near as I can tell, I am probably the first in my family line to serve God in 3 or 4 generations.

God's sense of humor. An atheist hears the Gospel from lay Catholic Charismatics. Then attends the Church of God of Indiana (Wesleyan) where a missionary from Africa to the United States explains the basics of Bible Precepts. Reading the Bible on my own, I come to Calvinism before I ever heard of Calvinism or Arminianism. Change of pastors and I moved to an Evangelical Free Church with an Adult Sunday School taught by a Moody graduate with a M.Div (who finally taught me the term Calvinism for what I believed). Some small group Bible Study with a Dallas Theological Seminary graduates added to lots of interesting late night discussions. Change of pastors led to hyper-liberalization in the church, so I landed in the Southern Baptist Church. Lastly ending up at a peculiar little local church that is technically Pentecostal, but has strong Moravian and Baptist leanings.

So God has allowed me to worship with a great diversity of the body of Christ. From my perspective, they all got something wrong in their theology, but they are all part of the Body of Christ. Fortunately, being foolish isn't grounds for excommunication or I would be in trouble.

I love this question. The fact that I am not debating whether to die or kill you, suggests that God has done SOMETHING on the inside. Seriously, I am not who I was.

There is something that defines who you are. Your identity is defined by your family or your gang or your tribe. I am ... (fill in the blank).

When God called, there was an exchange of identity. I ceased to be who I was, and I became who God said I was. Exodus 21:6 describes a relationship. I gave my soul to God and pierced my ear with an invisible Awl. I became God's man, to do with as he chose.

That relationship defines my identity. That is how I love God.

Ha. I suck at evangelism. It just is what it is. I try to tell people the truth, but they choose not to listen with 100% accuracy. If you can get them to the starting gate, I am much better at encouraging disciples to keep on growing.

My beliefs ... but if we are honest, I sort of go looking for trouble.

I'm willing to post a credobaptist position on a Reformed board ... face it, I am in the minority among these Presbyterians and Lutherans.

I'm willing to challenge a weak cessationist argument on a Baptist board.

Heck, in a pinch, I'm even willing to take up Wesleyan Arminianism (which I do not believe) just to make some Calvinist work for his victory.

That's probably a personality flaw. :RpS_biggrin:

Thanks atpollard for the laugh I got from your last paragraph! I was going to ask you about your "challenge a weak cessationist argument" statement, which at first I didn't understand, then I remembered that you identify as Pentacostal. My comment is that I am essentially cesssationist myself, but that recently I became aware, first of John Piper's and then J.I. Packer's views on the matter and so now I would say that I am not willing to be too dogmatic about it, and that there could be more to it than I might have thought before. Thanks for your testimony, brother!

• Like 1

wow that is one full plate of life .. Welcome to the forums

• Like 1

1. Hello everyone I am "justme" in the real world outside of this forum I am know by Mike. I try to do a Charles Stanley's devotion ever day, I read Scriptures. I can't believe I will be 73 in June, my how the years have passed so quickly. I live day by day as my health is very poor.

2. My parents always had me in Sunday School and Church from when I was a baby. I was really nurtured in Jesus Christ as long as I can remember. At 11 years old I became fully aware of how sinful I truly I was. I went forward in a church service, as my Pastor had asked for anyone who wants to know for sure they are saved and going to heaven to come down, I did. On January 6, 1957 I confessed my sins and need for Jesus to come into my life and save me. On January 13, 1957 I was baptized as my confession of Jesus Christ being my Lord, in a small Baptist Church.

3 Mother was the prime Christian influence in my early life. She encouraged my Christian growth in helping me with my Sunday School lessons. My dad was moderately involved in church, I never saw him read the Bible, he went to the Worship service and helped on church building projects. But my Mother and I went to Sunday Night and Wednesday Prayer meeting services. I loved learning about Jesus and the Bible. My love for Jesus Christ and the Word grew more each year, that is still the same today. I love Jesus Christ and God the Father, The Holy Spirit lives within me. I continue to grow Spiritually.

4. John 3:16. God has promised me because I have put my faith and trust in Jesus Christ I have eternal life Ephesians 2:8 For by Grace I have been saved through faith in Jesus Christ.

5. The Bible says in Matthew 22:37....."You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind." Heart, soul and mind that really is what I am made up of, that is my complete being. My heart is the center of my emotional self. I love God and Jesus Christ with my emotions. My soul is where the Trinity is alive within me, I know totally that The Holy Spirit is working in me. Others have told me that they see the Lord working in my life, and that is one way I see Gods working through me to others.

6. First its in our family. With four adult children and 11 grandchildren and 2 great grand children, I make a very serious effort to pray for each and every one. Often with my wifes help we are able to have time alone with then. We pray with then and continue to share Jesus and our life as a n example of Christs love. I help teach 4th to 8th grade Sunday School, I go out on visitation night. I am preparing to preach soon for the first time an quite a while.

7. I don't like doing this as I am by no means an example. I pray all the time off and on during the day. I often fall asleep praying, I feel like there are so many things to pray for, my pastor the deacons , Church members , my large family, or President and staff, there are so many needs to pray for. I do Charles Stanley Bible reading and devotion daily. I often read the Bible a couple of times a day sometimes more. I go over my pastors sermon during the week, my wife and give financially to our church,(I won't say how much). My wife and I pray together, and we watch several Christian TV programs during the week, When we go somewhere we listen to Christian music and programs. My life is surrounded in Christ.

8. Kyle Idleman,Gary Chapman, Gary Thomas J. I. Packer Michael Youssef, Ravi Zacharias, Henry H. Mitchell, Fred B. Craddock, Steven Gregg. Lee Strobel. Commentators: Max Anders, Stephen J. Lawson, Glen S. Martin, Kenneth O. Gangel, Stephen J. Bramer, John MaCarthur, Theologians. Kenneth Scott Latourette, Emil Brunner, H. Leon McBeth, Millard J. Erickson Why; Many of the Theologians I had to read in Seminary and to be honest some I read just once. Some had a great effect on my thinking some I read just for the grade. I went to a Baptist seminary and my books reflect this theology.

The books I have read this years are; SACRED MARRIAGE by Gary Thomas, I highly recommend this book. At present I am reading GRACE IS GREATER by Kyle Ideman. If you think you know what Grace is, guess again this is a eye opening book.

9. The opposition I have faced has mainly been on this forum, and I believe its been on my Scripture beliefs, but it also could be my personality, you are welcome to express your opinion.

10. Start of by telling us something about you. Don't start off with some wild off beat stunning statement that will shock us. Just alow us to know you and your concerns

Mike, do you mean to say you were "justme" on this board until recently? Edit: OK, never mind, I found your post where you announced the change. It's funny 'cause in the meantime I was thinking there was quite a bit in common between the two of you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eric T. all of a sudden one day there were just_me, Iamjustme, and me who was justme. So I thought why not change my name to Just Mile, I doubt anyone will select that name....I hope. Besides that I really do go by Mile in real life outside of this computer web site land.

• Like 2

(Genesis 1:27,) . . .And God went on to create the man in his image, in God’s image he created him; male and female he created them.

(Romans 1:20) . . .For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable.

On 3/24/2018 at 5:36 AM, William said:

God bless,

William

1. I am Australian, mostly Queenslander but due to my husband's job I have lived around Australia. It looks like we will be staying in this QLD town for good now.  

2. I was brought up Catholic until teens when I read Billy Graham' Gospel message, believed it, and decided to try Baptist church. Met my ex-boyfriend there and backslid terribly. Married atheist but returned to God around same time, went to Uniting church which became non-denominational. 

Since that time until now, I have been near-atheist, Charismatic, non-church attender (remote town meant no church I could attend), then Bapist. I was baptised in 2011. 

3. Experiences - answered prayers, bible passages suddenly alive to me, strong Christian women to set me a good example (my mother did not), finding perfect Christian websites whenever I need them

4. Literally - surgeon able to do my operation in a small town is rare. Spiritually - God bringing me a street preacher and the correct thoughts when I was running away from Him continuously.

5. Genuine faith in God will result in love for Him and a desire to please Him. I use the reference library training that I received in an academic hospital library way more online than I ever would have in an average library, and I have used those skills to defend the faith to myself and others. 

6. I keep all evangelism activities online. All my family members are atheists (including husband and our sons) and all my new acquaintances I have are Christians. 

7. Haphazard I must admit. Most activities are during day when I am alone. Right now I am aiming to focus on one bible chapter a day and then look for sermons to read or listen to on topic/ particular verse that caught my attention. I have found this especially useful for OLD Testament books I skim over. 

8. No particular favourite author right now; I like a lot of the Puritans' works despite their tendency to way too many words by modern standards. I have listened to quite a few preachers like John Macarthur, I sometimes listen to Christian apologists' online radio shows too.

In past I have listened to some whacko (to reformed minds) addressing conspiracy theories preachers like PastorMike Hoggard and Jason Cooley to get an understanding of "the alternative viewpoints" that I came across on several forums. Both excellent preachers, but 1. Non-reformed 2. KJV only (me too, but I agree to disagree) 3. non-Pre-Millenialism. 

9. Met with opposition - I avoid it in real life. Online I remain courteous and request that the other person defends their viewpoint with facts/ evidence as I do. 

10. Be yourself, be polite, don't get mortally offended if someone disagrees with/ corrects you. None of us are infallible. Don't let online friendships rule your life. 

• Like 3