The Protestant Community

Are you Protestant? Or, are you sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. Register in less than a minute, it is simple, fast, and free! We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums is:

.... an orthodox Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism. Those who would challenge the peace and harmony that we enjoy here as fellow believers are directed to another forum.

Enjoy your fellowship

In order to understand the importance of Christian fellowship, we must first understand what Christian fellowship is and what it isn’t. The Greek words translated “fellowship” in the New Testament mean essentially a partnership to the mutual benefit of those involved. Christian fellowship, then, is the mutually beneficial relationship between Christians, who can’t have the identical relationship with those outside the faith. Those who believe the gospel are united in the Spirit through Christ to the Father, and that unity is the basis of fellowship. This relationship is described by Jesus in His high-priestly prayer for His followers in John 17:23. The importance of true Christian fellowship is that it reinforces Christ centeredness in our mind and helps us to focus on Christ and His desires and goals for us. As iron sharpens iron, in true Christian fellowship Christians sharpen one another's faith and stir one another to exercise that faith in love and good works, all to God’s glory.
Sign in to follow this  
Marlin

Checking In

I'm a lifelong student of the Scriptures. As for identity, I'm a Follower of the Way, as the Apostle Paul stated was his manner of life. (See Acts chapters 22-27)

• Like 1

I'm a lifelong student of the Scriptures. As for identity, I'm a Follower of the Way, as the Apostle Paul stated was his manner of life. (See Acts chapters 22-27)

Welcome

• Like 2

Welcome to Christforums, look forward to hearing more from you soon.

• Like 2

Hello and welcome Marlin

I see under denomination you listed "other." What do you mean by "other" if I may ask?

• Like 1

Hi Marlin,

I am new here, Christian but not Protestant. I like talking with everyone and getting to understand why people believe how they believe. I would welcome you formally, but I am just a visitor. So, hello and God Bless!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Welcome

Except for my wife, I'm alone, and have been since I got out of the Navy in June of 1968. There's some group that calls itself "the way international" but I rejected them many years ago.

Anyway, I offer the following in support of my position:

[
Acts 22:4
] I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and delivering to prison both men and women, (NIV)

Note that the NIV and others use a capital "W."

[
Acts 22:8
] "'Who are you, Lord?' I asked. "'I am
Jesus of Nazareth
, whom you are persecuting,' he replied. (NIV)

Please keep the "...of Nazareth" part in mind.

[
Acts 24:1-2a
] Five days later the high priest Ananias went down to Caesarea with some of the elders and a lawyer named Tertullus, and they brought their charges against Paul before the governor. [2a] When Paul was called in, Tertullus presented his case before Felix: (NIV)

[
Acts 24:5
] "We have found this man to be a troublemaker, stirring up riots among the Jews all over the world. He is a ringleader of
the Nazarene sect
(NIV)

And who might have been with Paul and that awful sect of the Nazarene?

[
Acts 24:14
] However, I admit that I worship the God of our fathers as a follower of the Way, which
they
call a sect. I believe everything that agrees with the Law and that is written in the Prophets, (NIV)

"They" who? Certainly not the Jews. Why would a Jew be incensed against a small group calling themselves something as vague as "The Way"? On the other hand, what about a group that had brazenly hijacked the Title of the Messiah that their Lawgiver Moses had promised, as in "... a prophet like me"?

There's a bit more:

[
Acts 24:22a
] Then Felix, who was well acquainted with the Way, adjourned the proceedings. (NIV)

Finally Paul appears before King Agrippa:

[
Acts 26:9
] "I too was convinced that I ought to do all that was possible to oppose
the name of Jesus
of Nazareth. (NIV)

At the time, the Sect of the Nazarene had an untarnished reputation, which according to the rules governing the Secular Authority -- from the time it was established under King Cyrus to the time that Paul wrote Romans 13:1-7 and Peter wrote 1 Peter 2:13-14 -- was bound to commend, but to otherwise punish evildoers. No Follower of the Way was ever burned at the stake or fed to lions. After all, the record I'm addressing shows that Paul, far from being mistreated, was protected by the Roman Military as described in Acts 23-23-24. Two hundred soldiers? Seventy horsemen? Two hundred spearmen? And mounts for Paul? There's no place in the record that Rome ever mistreated the people of the LORD. It was always the thugs employed by the Sanhedrin.

But the governor gets back into play:

[
Acts 26:24
] At this point Festus interrupted Paul's defense. "You are out of your mind, Paul!" he shouted. "Your great learning is driving you insane." (NIV)

And the King? Paul states:

[
Acts 26:26
] The king is familiar with these things, and I can speak freely to him. I am convinced that none of this has escaped his notice, because it was not done in a corner. (NIV)

He wasn't talking about Jewish Law, as if the King didn't know about that, but about what was going on between Paul and those trying to kill him. Every man in that room was keenly aware of what the authorities of Rome were going through, what with the strife taking place because of the rebel Maccabees and on top of that, the overweening Jewish reaction to those who had hijacked the Messianic Title, even framing their name to imply that they were all some sort of messiah. Even today one hears people saying they strive to be Messiah-like. How does one become like a title, office, position, anointing or some other intangible thing? Is there no difference between an office and the one in the office, in this case Jesus?

But what about the King's response. Here's the NIV's translation:

[
Acts 26:28-29
] Then Agrippa said to Paul, "Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?" [29] Paul replied, "Short time or long -- I pray God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains." (NIV)

In the first place, had Paul been a Christian instead of a Follower of the Way he'd have said so; and was given a perfect opportunity. The thing is, he didn't. May I point to the YLT's translation:

[
Acts 26:28-29
] And Agrippa said unto Paul, 'In a little thou dost persuade me to become a Christian!' [29] and Paul said, 'I would have wished to God, both in a little, and in much, not only thee, but also all those hearing me to-day, to become such as I also am - except these bonds." (YLT)

Agrippa's remark is correctly framed as an exclamation, picking up on what Festus had said, an outburst, if you please albeit tongue-in-cheek. Then he promptly dismissed the outrageous proceeding, all according to the will of the LORD. Paul was in Rome, just as planned.

Edited by Marlin
Corrected a wrong word. Had used vogue instead of vague

Welcome to Christforums, look forward to hearing more from you soon.

Thanks. I'll do my best.

• Like 1

glad you checked in, now check out some of the threads and get posting brother :RpS_cool:

Thanks.

Hello and welcome Marlin

I see under denomination you listed "other." What do you mean by "other" if I may ask?

I'm a Follower of the Way. As far as I know my wife and I, mostly me, are the only ones on the earth. I'm certainly not affiliated with "the way international."

Hi Marlin,

I am new here, Christian but not Protestant. I like talking with everyone and getting to understand why people believe how they believe. I would welcome you formally, but I am just a visitor. So, hello and God Bless!

Thank you Sir. Just to clarify, I don't do as the nations, and pretend to follow some invisible, disembodied personage. Rather I follow what's referred to as a pattern, a set of instructions and precepts that are hardcore and can be understood, practiced, and applied as in the rigors of Discipleship and passed one to another, ad infinitum.

I notice the Reply Editor doesn't keep a message's formatting when posted. Am I doing something wrong?

I notice the Reply Editor doesn't keep a message's formatting when posted. Am I doing something wrong?

If you mean html formatting, then that has been disabled. And, there are some browsers which are buggy with our editor. Are you using Firefox? For example, in your post #7 when using the ident the spacing is removed upon saving. That's a Firefox issue we're trying to get our software company to fix. Not sure if the error is present in Edge or Chrome, but I just wrote the software vendor's support.

• Like 1

I'm a Follower of the Way. As far as I know my wife and I, mostly me, are the only ones on the earth.
Tell me about this Follower of the Way. Since you are the only one on Earth, how did you come to it? Is it Christian?
  • Like 1

Tell me about this Follower of the Way. Since you are the only one on Earth, how did you come to it? Is it Christian?

I did my best to explain that the Apostle Paul stated that he was such a Follower in his own time. He made a few statements in that regard:

[
1 Corinthians 11:1
] Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. (NIV)

I have every reason to think that Paul followed the LORD's example, as opposed to His person, which left the earth. Jesus had a lot to say about His leaving, which had He not done done the Spirit of Truth could not have come.

Paul again:

[
Philippians 3:17
] Join with others in following my example, brothers, and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you. (NIV)

And Peter:

[
1 Peter 2:21
] To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you,
leaving you an example
, that you should follow in his steps. (NIV)

And John:

[1 John 2:6] Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did. (NIV)

This is as if following the footsteps one who long ago went on ahead.

I could never find a way to follow His person, except to do as the nations (pagans) and pretend to even as it'd mean I've have to admit that just like them, I was following an unseen personage whereby the best I could do was say it was Jesus. But I was warned by my understanding of the following:

[
2 Corinthians 11:4
] For if some one comes and preaches another Jesus than the one we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the one you received, or if you accept a different gospel from the one you accepted, you submit to it readily enough. (RSV)

If there were other Jesus's that early on, how much more are there now? The various Jesus's "servants of righteousness" that have been presented to me over the years of my 72 year old life were presented after the fashion of this scenario:

[
2 Corinthians 11:12-15
] And I will keep on doing what I am doing in order to cut the ground from under those who want an opportunity to be considered equal with us in the things they boast about. [13] For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. [14] And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. [15] It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve. (NIV)

More counterfeits:

[2 Peter 2:1-3] But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. [2] And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. [3] And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not. (KJV)

And the way to avoid sneaky counterfeits, no matter how good a fake 100 dollar bill might appear?

[
Revelation 2:2
] I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked men, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. (NIV)

But that wouldn't be possible without this:

[
Romans 12:1-2
] Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God -- this is your spiritual act of worship. [2] Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- his good, pleasing and perfect will. (NIV)

I have to say, the narrow gate was very narrow and the pathway beyond was a match for the statement below:

[
Acts 14:22
] Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God. (KJV)

The whole race has been hard on both body and soul. I still spent myself broke at the LORD's Table of Exchange:

[
Revelation 3:18-19
] I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. [19] Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. (NIV)

The sad thing was, I perceived that nobody else was there doing business. So I undertook to buy everything I could possibly afford. I thought, if nobody else wanted it, I did.

The thing is, I got all I have from the same Scriptures you got yours. If you're willing show me where I'm wrong I'd appreciate it. If I'm willing to defend my faith I hope I can expect you'd defend yours in turn.

Thanks,

--Marlin

Want to ask a question. Who is this man and what time-frame does he represent?

[
Isaiah 63:1-6
] Who is this coming from Edom, from Bozrah, with his garments stained crimson? Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? "It is I, speaking in righteousness, mighty to save." [2] Why are your garments red, like those of one treading the winepress? [3] "I have trodden the winepress alone; from the nations no one was with me. I trampled them in my anger and trod them down in my wrath; their blood spattered my garments, and I stained all my clothing. [4] For the day of vengeance was in my heart, and the year of my redemption has come. [5] I looked, but there was no one to help, I was appalled that no one gave support; so my own arm worked salvation for me, and my own wrath sustained me. [6] I trampled the nations in my anger; in my wrath I made them drunk and poured their blood on the ground." (NIV)

And along the same lines, how do you read this startling question:

[
Luke 18:8b
] However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?" (NIV)

I observe that just as vaunted love isn't love, so flaunted faith isn't faith. We're a very long way removed from the day Jesus said that.

--Marlin

I'm certainly not affiliated with "the way international."

Hello and welcome Martin.

I am somewhat familiar with "The Way International" which was started by Victor Paul Wierwille. He wrote a book many years back entitled, "Jesus Christ is not God."

I am relieved to see that you aren't a member of that heretical cult.

I was wondering though, do you believe the Lord Jesus is God?

Thanks

It's seems like he's saying he follows the way of Christ, not follow Christ as the way. Like in Mormonism. I'm probably misunderstanding though.

It's seems like he's saying he follows the way of Christ, not follow Christ as the way. Like in Mormonism. I'm probably misunderstanding though.

I don't know, I might be wrong too, but I agree and whilst I might be wrong also it seems to me that this is a view that does not require either repentance and faith, but is rather based on our ability to follow the example of Jesus Christ.

• Like 1

Except for my wife, I'm alone, and have been since I got out of the Navy in June of 1968.

I have been following this discussion for a while now, I have a question for you based on this statement (and others) that you are 'alone' and the 'only one'

How do you understand Peter's words:

2 Peter 1:20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation?

Want to ask a question. Who is this man and what time-frame does he represent?

[
Isaiah 63:1-6
] Who is this coming from Edom, from Bozrah, with his garments stained crimson? Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? "It is I, speaking in righteousness, mighty to save." [2] Why are your garments red, like those of one treading the winepress? [3] "I have trodden the winepress alone; from the nations no one was with me. I trampled them in my anger and trod them down in my wrath; their blood spattered my garments, and I stained all my clothing. [4] For the day of vengeance was in my heart, and the year of my redemption has come. [5] I looked, but there was no one to help, I was appalled that no one gave support; so my own arm worked salvation for me, and my own wrath sustained me. [6] I trampled the nations in my anger; in my wrath I made them drunk and poured their blood on the ground." (NIV)

And along the same lines, how do you read this startling question:

[
Luke 18:8b
] However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?" (NIV)

I observe that just as vaunted love isn't love, so flaunted faith isn't faith. We're a very long way removed from the day Jesus said that.

--Marlin

Please allow me a question Marlin. With just you an your wife in "the Way" how do you deal with Matthew 28:19,20?

Welcome

I have a current post from you that I want to answer but the button that allows a response is missing:

https://www.christforums.org/forum/main-forum/67078-checking-in?p=67271#post67271

Can you fix that, or maybe do another post? Thanks.

I don't know how to fix anything on this forum, I am a member just like you. My question was how do you act upon Matthew 28:19,20? You and your wife alone have called your selves "the Way" I think you can admit this is beyond unusual, or at least I have nerer heard od a church of just two, and I doubt you can Bionically find how this is right. This is so unbelievably and I am sure I am not the only one thinking this. Could you help me understand this?

• Like 1

I have a current post from you that I want to answer but the button that allows a response is missing:

https://www.christforums.org/forum/m...7271#post67271

Only posts can be quoted and have a quote button. Quotes and comments which are different can use the highlight quote feature. Again, comments are different than post replies. Comments do not have a quote button:

472925230_CommentsandPostReply.thumb.jpg.709e3f37f9f5d7087b6652b11a388a4a.jpg

• Like 1

https://www.christforums.org/forum/m...7271#post67271

Only posts can be quoted and have a quote button. Quotes and comments which are different can use the highlight quote feature. Again, comments are different than post replies. Comments do not have a quote button:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","height":"1080","width":"1920","data-attachmentid":67296}[/ATTACH]

Thanks William I did not fully understand what the problem was.