The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Summer Rose

Part Methodist/Part Universalist

Since I am new here I figured that I would post just exactly what my beliefs are. To be honest I really don't know what Methodists believe. I just attend a Methodist church because it's a lot more laid back than the Baptist one. I will be discussing that all with my church's pastor on Monday though when I meet with him to start discussing my Baptism. Anyway, what I believe is that Jesus died on the cross for all of our sins so that we could go to Heaven to be with Him but belief in Him isn't necessary for salvation since I respect all of the other beliefs and opinions out there. I just believe that believing in Jesus automatically gets you to Heaven, but following the Ten Commandments and being a good person (if God gives you the okay since let's just admit it, He is the real judge here) could get you to Heaven too, it just isn't automatic like it is when you're a Christian.

Let me up front with you Summer Rose. No Christian believes that following the Ten Commandments and\or being a good person gets anyone to Heaven. That would make Christ's death upon the cross pointless. Christianity is about faith in Christ and knowing that no one, with the exception of Jesus Himself, could ever be good enough or atone for sin.

You appear to be a caring and out going person and that is wonderful. Your understanding of key Christian doctrines, however, is anything but Christian. Please feel free to ask question and to seek answers.

• Like 4

Let me up front with you Summer Rose. No Christian believes that following the Ten Commandments and\or being a good person gets anyone to Heaven. That would make Christ's death upon the cross pointless. Christianity is about faith in Christ and knowing that no one, with the exception of Jesus Himself, could ever be good enough or atone for sin.

You appear to be a caring and out going person and that is wonderful. Your understanding of key Christian doctrines, however, is anything but Christian. Please feel free to ask question and to seek answers.

No, actually quite a lot of Christians do on the contrary. Of course if it wasn't for Jesus' death on the cross then nobody would get into Heaven. I will let you know if I have any questions. Thank you for your compliments though!

No, actually quite a lot of Christians do on the contrary.
Then they are not Christians and do not know anything about the Scriptures or Christianity theology.

Of course if it wasn't for Jesus' death on the cross then nobody would get into Heaven.
I am sorry but that is not what you said.

You should read the "About Us" section at the top of the page.

https://www.christforums.org/articles/3424-our-belief

Then they are not Christians and do not know anything about the Scriptures or Christianity theology.

I am sorry but that is not what you said.

You should read the "About Us" section at the top of the page.

https://www.christforums.org/articles/3424-our-belief

Umm,.. I'm sorry but I find that as an insult. I really don't want to leave the first day I signed up here but where I come from nobody dimisses you of being a Christian. I already know what you guys believe but I was under the impression with the Universalism topic here that we all are free to believe whatever we want. I believe in Jesus and that He died for me and my sins. That's what makes me a Christian.

Umm,.. I'm sorry but I find that as an insult.
No reason to feel insulted concerning the truth.

I really don't want to leave the first day I signed up here but where I come from nobody dimisses you of being a Christian.
Christians hold to certain doctrines found in the Bible. If the doctrines one holds are not found in Scripture or are contrary to it, then that is not Christianity.

I already know what you guys believe but I was under the impression with the Universalism topic here that we all are free to believe whatever we want.
You are free to believe whatever you like but you are not free to promote false doctrines.
  • Like 1

Other religions are lies from Satan to deceave people from the Gospel of Christ. You'll find nowhere in Scripture where nonbelievers have salvation, but quite the opposite. I understand being resecptful towards people in what they believe, but theres no good reason to have respect for the beliefs themselves, it's death.

​​​​​​In human standards we can say that there's good Muslims, or good Hindus, maybe there's even a few atheist who are decent human beings. But God doesn't judge by our limited understanding. Scripture tells us there are none who are righteous, Romans 3:10, and that the unsaved are hostile towards God, Romans 8:7. They love sin, John 3:19, John 8:34. God doesn't think they're good people.

I'm sorry if you don't feel welcome here, but you have to expect disagreements, especially in such serious matters.

• Like 1

but belief in Him isn't necessary for salvation

Hi Summer Rose,

The above, as found in your OP, unsettles me (Romans 10:9-10).

I will say though that I am glad you are in this forum. I hope you don't take our disagreements with you as an attack on you but rather on what you are asserting. It does challenge us to show the reason for our faith and it behooves us to guard the precious gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

William has a thread in which some passages employed by those who espouse universalism are listed as found here:

https://www.christforums.org/forum/c...alism-biblical

Perhaps you can think of others or even delve in deeper on what he supplied and I (and I'm quite certain others) would be happy to show that not one single passage in the Bible teaches universalism.

• Like 2

following the Ten Commandments and being a good person (if God gives you the okay since let's just admit it, He is the real judge here) could get you to Heaven too

Your are right. Anyone who followed the Ten Commandments perfectly would go to Heaven. The problem is that no such person exists. If you think you have followed them I suggest you read the Sermon on the Mount in chapters chapters 5 to 7 of Matthew and compare your life with what Jesus teaches.

• Like 1

I will say though that I am glad you are in this forum. I hope you don't take our disagreements with you as an attack on you but rather on what you are asserting. It does challenge us to show the reason for our faith and it behooves us to guard the precious gospel of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Summer Rose trashed us on another forum. She felt as though she was insulted here because we did not embrace her Pelagian and Universalist beliefs. What does it say about other forums which make heretics feel right at home? What does it say when a new convert never aligns with orthodox doctrine, but the main importance is tickling the ears to retain membership?

False Converts.

God bless,

William

• Like 4

Summer Rose trashed us on another forum. She felt as though she was insulted here because we did not embrace her Pelagian and Universalist beliefs. What does it say about other forums which make heretics feel right at home? What does it say when a new convert never aligns with orthodox doctrine, but the main importance is tickling the ears to retain membership?
Come on William! You know faith in Christ is all about having warm fuzzy feelings. To prove my point remember what Jesus said to the apostles:

“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’
Ahhhhh, SORRY, never mind what I said.
  • Like 2

False Converts.

God bless,

William

In case anybody cares about the teachings of Methodism: https://www.britannica.com/topic/Methodism. Trashing one forum on another really is kind of two- faced and it speaks well for you as the site owner that she hasn't been suspended or banned for that. I salute your patience.

• Like 2

Come on William! You know faith in Christ is all about having warm fuzzy feelings. To prove my point remember what Jesus said to the apostles:

Ahhhhh, SORRY, never mind what I said.

Personally, I'd fill this forum with nothing but heretics. The orthodox in my opinion are a little too relaxed. I believe steady opposition provides us with enough resistance that we grow our minds as does exercise grows our muscles. That's something missing today in the majority of learning institutions. They'd rather ban someone for believing differently than taking the opposing view as a challenge.

Quite frankly, I have tried to target Reformed for the last few years, but I am convinced they are much too busy diving into theological books than to be inconvenienced with real people, real problems, and real heresy.

God bless,

William

• Like 4

No, actually quite a lot of Christians do on the contrary. Of course if it wasn't for Jesus' death on the cross then nobody would get into Heaven. I will let you know if I have any questions. Thank you for your compliments though!

Universalism means all people will eventually be in heaven. If that were true that Jesus Christs death on the Cross and His resurrection seems rather useless, doesn't it?

Edited by Just Mike
Computer error (Not really I misspelled a word)
  • Like 3

Personally, I'd fill this forum with nothing but heretics. The orthodox in my opinion are a little too relaxed. I believe steady opposition provides us with enough resistance that we grow our minds as does exercise grows our muscles. That's something missing today in the majority of learning institutions. They'd rather ban someone for believing differently than taking the opposing view as a challenge.

Quite frankly, I have tried to target Reformed for the last few years, but I am convinced they are much too busy diving into theological books than to be inconvenienced with real people, real problems, and real heresy.

God bless,

William

Iron sharpens iron, is an old thing I have heard for years. But unless we are willing to bring un-Orthodox doctrines out in the open and loving confront no one grows. I think if Paul were alive today there would be some steamy dialogue going on. Unless we base our doctrines on Scripture; Its like we are like using a chainsaw to cut down a large branch, but we are sitting on the end we are sawing off. We are headed for a fall.

• Like 2

Universalism means all people will eventually be in heaven. If that were true that Jesus Christs death on the Cross and His resurrection seems rather useless, doesn't it?

Univeralism doesn't necessarily mean Christ's death was unneccesary. I have encountered universalists who believe his death and resurrection were necessary but that they automatically brought salvation to everyone.