The Protestant Community

Are you Protestant? Or, are you sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. Register in less than a minute, it is simple, fast, and free! We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums is:

.... an orthodox Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism. Those who would challenge the peace and harmony that we enjoy here as fellow believers are directed to another forum.

Enjoy your fellowship

In order to understand the importance of Christian fellowship, we must first understand what Christian fellowship is and what it isn’t. The Greek words translated “fellowship” in the New Testament mean essentially a partnership to the mutual benefit of those involved. Christian fellowship, then, is the mutually beneficial relationship between Christians, who can’t have the identical relationship with those outside the faith. Those who believe the gospel are united in the Spirit through Christ to the Father, and that unity is the basis of fellowship. This relationship is described by Jesus in His high-priestly prayer for His followers in John 17:23. The importance of true Christian fellowship is that it reinforces Christ centeredness in our mind and helps us to focus on Christ and His desires and goals for us. As iron sharpens iron, in true Christian fellowship Christians sharpen one another's faith and stir one another to exercise that faith in love and good works, all to God’s glory.
Sign in to follow this  
Fireproof

Similitudes, Parables and Allegories throughout scripture

I am really interested in this topic and would love a thread where we can all share some of these, to prove them out and do so without arguing but just using scripture and showing something the best we can, using our proofs from scripture.

Anyone have some cool ones?

God bless you

Here is just a small snippet of one that I love which shows how God has spoken by the prophets

The law prophesied, wherein even through Abraham (who was a prophet) used similititudes by him (and in whom we find an allegory)

Just showing how one can validate the use of comparing spiritual things with spiritual in Abraham's things.

Notice also that desiring to be under the law and not "hearing" borrows an allegory found in Abraham where the same is used. Abraham having two sons (by two women which represent the two covenants). God using women as the representives of the two. God having preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham while Hagar and Sarah represented the covenants.

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

Howso?

Hosea 12:10 I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets.

Of Abraham it says

Gen 20:7 Now therefore restore the man his wife; for he is a prophet

And so in Abraham (a prophet) by which God had spoken multiplying visions and using similitudes, is the same affirmed by Paul in the two sons of the two women that belong to Abraham

Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

Concerning which Paul goes on to expound on "the hearing of" the law more correctly as by the two

Gal 4:21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?

And then immediately enters into the things of Abraham in the law

Gal 4:22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

Gal 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar.

Gal 4:25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.

Gal 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

I like following out Paul into these various things just because the words of God are awesome.

Which are the same things Paul would speak of between them over and over again, "which things"

So again,

Gal 4:22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.

Which things are what ?

Gal 4:24 Which things are an allegory for these are the two covenants

Which I believe are the same things by which they would compare between

1Cr 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

And knowing by the same God had spoken using similitudes by them. Just as there was a priest (of the most high) that met Abram (even before his name was changed to Abraham) who brought out to him bread and wine (which could also be understood to symbolize the body and blood of Christ beforehand even as that priest (as Hebrews points out) was made like unto the Son of God (Heb 7:3) just as the earthly shadows can serve unto the heavenly examples

As the writer of Hebrews has said,

Heb 7:15 And it is yet far more evident:

for that after the similitude of Melchisedec there ariseth another priest,

And one not made after the carnal commandment but after an indestructable life

Whereas Jesus Christ being made a priest "forever" after the order of the very one that met Abram and who served him what could later be understood represents his body (as it even pertains to the NC) even as "the scripture foresees"

Gal 3:8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed.

The law having a shadow of the good things to come not the very image of things

I'll add some as we go along when I have time to return to it, feel free to add so that we might be edified God bless you

I am really interested in this topic and would love a thread where we can all share some of these, to prove them out and do so without arguing but just using scripture and showing something the best we can, using our proofs from scripture.
The Greek verb ἀλληγορέω (i.e. to speak allegorically) is used only once N.T. (Gal. 4:24). The noun form is never used.

As for the Greek word for "parable," the term has a wide range of meaning and all the scholarly sources agree upon that point. Thus it often functions as a catch all term for any\all figures of speech even though they are not all the same. For example:

In the Synoptics, παραβολή is used to identify proverbs (Luke 4:23; 6:39), maxims (Mark 7:17; Matt 15:15), metaphorical sayings (Mark 3:23; Luke 5:36), enigmatic sayings (Mark 4:11; Matt 13:10; Luke 8:10), general rules (Luke 14:7), parables (depicting a common occurrence: Mark 4:13, 30; 13:28; Matt 13:18, 31, 33, 36; 24:32; Luke 8:4, 9, 11; 12:41; 13:6; 15:3; 21:29), parabolic stories (depicting remarkable singular occurrences: Mark 12:12; Matt 13:24; 21:33; Luke 18:1; 19:11; 20:9, 19), and paradigmatic illustrative stories (Luke 12:16; 18:9). These distinctions are rather fluid. The range of usage of παραβολή corresponds to that of Heb. māšāl in the OT and Judaism (excluding Qumran). (Exegetical Dictionary of the New Testament, p. 15)
This scholarly sources lists 8 different usages just in the Synoptic Gospels alone. It also points out the "distinctions are rather fluid."

A "similitude" is (more or less) a comparison between two things and is itself a figure of speech and can be used in conjunction with other figures of speech. The word translated "similitude" (only used three times in the KJV N.T.) is ὁμοίωμα and means "likeness."

The Greek verb ἀλληγορέω (i.e. to speak allegorically) is used only once N.T. (Gal. 4:24). The noun form is never used.

Thanks for adding to the thread Origen, yes in respects to those things shown in Abraham regarding the covenants the word is found there, thanks for pointing that out for us

God bless you

Anyone have some cool ones?

God bless you

Here is one....

The Lord often compares the proud in spirit and those who exalt themselves as being like those who lift themselves up on high, like lofty trees or mountains raised up on high. Let’s see if we can see the connection here to the mountains being made low in the haughty of spirit also being made low by scripture.

Here's the Bible meaning of Haughty....to rise, rise up, be high, be lofty, be exalted, to be high, be set on high, to be raised, be uplifted, be exalted, to be lifted, rise

Mountains are high, just as the spirit of the haughty sets itself up on high, or exalts itself.

Let's look at some verses on the haughty... Proverbs 18:12 “Before destruction the heart of man is haughty, and before honour is humility.”

Proverbs 16:18Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.”

Psalm 131:1 “Lord, my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me.”

Isaiah 10:33 “Behold, the Lord, the Lord of hosts, shall lop the bough with terror: and the high ones of stature shall be hewn down, and the haughty shall be humbled.”

Now notice the wording here in connection with the words found in Isaiah 40 below Isaiah 24:4 “The earth mourneth and fadeth away, the world languisheth and fadeth away, the haughty people of the earth do languish.

Now to Isaiah 40:6-8 “The voice said, Cry. And he said, What shall I cry? All flesh is grass, and all the goodliness thereof is as the flower of the field:7 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the Lord bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass.8 The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever."

Now compare to the testimony of James... James 1:9-11 "Let the brother of low degree rejoice in that he is exalted:10 But the rich, in that he is made low: because as the flower of the grass he shall pass away.11 For the sun is no sooner risen with a burning heat, but it withereth the grass, and the flower thereof falleth, and the grace of the fashion of it perisheth: so also shall the rich man fade away in his ways."

So the mountains and valleys spoken of in Isaiah and repeated again in Luke chapter 3 is not talking about literal mountains and hills, nor literal valleys, but rather people.

The truth of the message is confirmed here….

Matthew 23:12 “And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Luke 14:11 “For whosoever exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Luke 18:14 “I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.”

More scriptures…..

Proverbs 29:23 “A man's pride shall bring him low: but honour shall uphold the humble in spirit.”

Obadiah 1:3 “The pride of thine heart hath deceived thee, thou that dwellest in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high; that saith in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground?”

Every mountain shall be made low....

Job 40:12 "Look on every one that is proud, and bring him low; and tread down the wicked in their place."

Psalm 101:5 "Whoso privily slandereth his neighbour, him will I cut off: him that hath an high look and a proud heart will not I suffer.

Proverbs 21:4 An high look, and a proud heart, and the plowing of the wicked, is sin.

Isaiah 2:12 “For the day of the Lord of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low:”

Isaiah 13:11 “And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible.”

Luke 10:15And thou, Capernaum, which art exalted to heaven, shalt be thrust down to hell.

Remember the Lord gives grace to the humble, but resists the proud.

Here is one....

The Lord often compares the proud in spirit and those who exalt themselves as being like those who lift themselves up on high, like lofty trees or mountains raised up on high. Let’s see if we can see the connection here to the mountains being made low in the haughty of spirit also being made low by scripture.

Thank you Hidden Manna for pointing out these as well, I love these sorts of comparisons, they are even fun to find.

God bless you

• Like 1

Heres another comparison I'll add in where we can see a figure of Christ in

Abraham took the wood of the burnt offering,

and laid it upon Isaac his son; (The wood/ the Cross)

In Abraham a figure Gen 22:2

Who offered up his only begotten son (His only begotten)

Of whom it was said,

That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:

Abraham accounting that God was able to raise him up ,

even **from the dead** (faith in the operation of God)

And **from whence** also

he received him **in a figure** (the law having shadow)

**Him**God raised up the third day, (Christ Jesus)

and **shewed him openly** (the resurrection from the dead)

Or this way,

Gen 22:7 And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father:

and he said, Here am I, my son.

And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but **where is the lamb** for a burnt offering?

The law having **shadow of** good things to come, and not the very image ofthe things

Gen 22:8 And Abraham said, My son,

God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering:

so they went both of them together.

The law prophesied until John, the messenger sent before him to bear him witness

John 1:36 And looking upon Jesus as he walked, he saith, Behold the Lamb of God!

And there it is,

God has provided himself a lamb

A picture of His only begotten Son upon whom was placed the wood

Paul writes,

Rom 8:2 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all,

how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

God having preached before the gospel unto Abraham, as the promise was to Abraham and his seed

And what was shown in a figure beforehand (by the ministry of the prophets)

God did show openly (in His Son Jesus Christ)

Gal 3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made.

He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.

Gal 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed,

and heirs according to the promise.

From there into to those who belong to Christ (having the promise Spirit)

Gal 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.

And as then, even so it is now

Gal 4:29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.