The Protestant Community

Are you Protestant? Or, are you sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. Register in less than a minute, it is simple, fast, and free! We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums is:

.... an orthodox Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism. Those who would challenge the peace and harmony that we enjoy here as fellow believers are directed to another forum.

Enjoy your fellowship

In order to understand the importance of Christian fellowship, we must first understand what Christian fellowship is and what it isn’t. The Greek words translated “fellowship” in the New Testament mean essentially a partnership to the mutual benefit of those involved. Christian fellowship, then, is the mutually beneficial relationship between Christians, who can’t have the identical relationship with those outside the faith. Those who believe the gospel are united in the Spirit through Christ to the Father, and that unity is the basis of fellowship. This relationship is described by Jesus in His high-priestly prayer for His followers in John 17:23. The importance of true Christian fellowship is that it reinforces Christ centeredness in our mind and helps us to focus on Christ and His desires and goals for us. As iron sharpens iron, in true Christian fellowship Christians sharpen one another's faith and stir one another to exercise that faith in love and good works, all to God’s glory.
Sign in to follow this  
CharlesC

Should a person be baptized 3,4, or 5 times, until they get it right, by the same Pastor?

We had our old Pastor, for 20 years. He retired last year. We got looking for a new Pastor, to replace him. Well, most liked him and he had a good voice for singing hymns, but some were uncomfortable also. He would pass out a paper pamphlet of what he preached about and made it fill in the blanks. Well, I felt that was odd, because it distracts from the congregation from hearing the sermon. But one day he preached on baptism. Said, he would baptize us 3, 4 or 5 times, until we got it right...... I thought, that is not scriptural. I explained why it was not scriptural by the same Pastor. That it is saying, he done something wrong. And the God expects us to put our faith in Him and how can one do that, and still be baptized so many times. We stopped participating at that church and went to another church. I really feel, that is false doctrine.

And yes, I know that Paul baptized about 12 men again, because they had not heard of Jesus, they were baptized by John which was for remission of sin. But in this day and time, we are not going to run into a person baptized by John the Baptist. We are most likely here the story of Jesus, before baptism. So the only excuse for being rebaptized, is not believing truly in Jesus. A person could be baptized 1000 times and still not believe. But the thoughts of that, turned me away from the church, because I never heard a person was to be baptized over and over, until getting it right.

• Like 3

That's definitely an odd thing for him to say, if I was a new convert and heard that I would wonder if I could ever be baptized correctly. And then I would wonder if he would ever accept my baptism as valid.

​​​​​

Wellcome to Christforums by the way.

• Like 1

Thank you... Well, we decided to make the Christian Church our new place of worship. We did not quite going to church, but we felt that Pastor may lead the congregation away from true faith. The Christian Church holds baptism more meaningful than just becoming a member of a church.

• Like 2

Hi, and welcome.

I thought repeat Baptism was only valid in rare circumstances, if the original baptism was not valid for some reason: e.g. if a person changes denomination and their original baptism is not valid in the new group (e.g. a Jehovah's Witness becoming Catholic or vice versa), etc. For one pastor to baptise the same person twice, let alone 3,4, or 5 times seems odd. After all, Baptism is symbolic of the crucifiction (Romans 6:3-6:5) and Christ was only crucified once.

• Like 3

Yes, I would agree that there is no scriptural evidence to baptizing over and over "until you get it right." The symbolism of baptism is being buried with Christ, which is death to the old self, and being resurrected with Christ, which is living a new life by the power of Christ.

"Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection: Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin." Romans 6:3-7

A good reason for re-baptism would be if you didn't understand what baptism truly was when you were baptized. A pastor that believes that you should be baptized over and over until you get it right seems to believe more in some mystical power of the act of baptism rather than the power of Christ to transform a person's life. Sanctification is done by the life-long work of the Holy Spirit convicting us of sin and pointing us to Jesus as our Savior (John 16:7-15), not by any act or ritual (because that would be salvation by works instead of by faith). May God continue to bless you as you trust in Jesus and pray for truth, and to be protected from the lies of the enemy.

• Like 1

And yes, I know that Paul baptized about 12 men again, because they had not heard of Jesus, they were baptized by John which was for remission of sin. But in this day and time, we are not going to run into a person baptized by John the Baptist. We are most likely here the story of Jesus, before baptism. So the only excuse for being rebaptized, is not believing truly in Jesus. A person could be baptized 1000 times and still not believe. But the thoughts of that, turned me away from the church, because I never heard a person was to be baptized over and over, until getting it right.

Great post CharlesCt. Some Southern Baptist Churches (less now that a decade ago) would require someone to be baptized again if they came from a church or denomination that sprinkled as their symbol of baptism. Some would still require someone to be baptized again if they were baptized with the belief of baptismal regeneration. This is entirely up to each church, seldom does the pastor determine the policy of requiring a person to be baptized again. I have sprinkled in a case where a woman was dying in a hospital and she had just received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. She was so insistent she wanted to be baptized, I was blessed to do so.

I believe if a person was baptized as a Roman Catholic, they should be baptized as a Protestant. This is not because they were sprinkled, but the RCC is so directly opposed to Protestant Theology. There are so many unbiblical doctrines in the RCC and being baptized again really empathizes that person has completely become new in Christ and Orthodox Christianity. Most Southern Baptist Churches today still would require someone coming from the RCC to be baptized.

Edited by Just Mike
additional material
  • Like 1

Well, let me ask another question? Do you feel in your heart, that baptism is important to Jesus as a sign of changed lives in the Christian? Or do you look at your own baptism as just getting wet with water and it holds no real meaning to Christianity?

Well, we decided to make the Christian Church our new place of worship.

When you speak of the Christian Church are you speaking of the Disciples of Christ denomination which calls its places of worship Christian Churches?

The Bible teaches that you must be saved by repenting of your sins and placing your faith in Christ, and then you should be baptized to show publicaly that you are now following Christ. Baptism only needs to take place one time.

Sometimes a person is baptized without really understanding the gospel or being saved. If that person later comes to understand and believe gospel he should be baptized again. That happened to me. The first time I was baptized I did so because I thought baptism was needed for salvation. After I was saved I was baptized again to show that I was now a follower of Christ. As far as I know this is the only situation in which a person should be baptized more than once.

• Like 2

This Pastor held the view, that baptism really held no significant value to us being a Christian. That it was just water. But Jesus gave us the Great Commission to baptize all nations in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. If it was not important to Jesus, he would not have given the command. It holds a deep meaning to me, to have been baptized. Change of life from death to life.

• Like 4

This Pastor held the view, that baptism really held no significant value to us being a Christian. That it was just water. But Jesus gave us the Great Commission to baptize all nations in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. If it was not important to Jesus, he would not have given the command. It holds a deep meaning to me, to have been baptized. Change of life from death to life.

Baptism only has meaning when the one being baptized means it. It's a symbolic declaration of faith, act of obedience to Christ and the marking of the new covenant, for those reasons it's absolutely important.

Baptism is extremely important, its a public outward confession of an inward change. Unless there is some health reason, (and even then sprinkling is more than acceptable IMO as a SB) why wouldn't someone want to be baptized?

I look back at my baptism on January 13, 1957 as a special day in my Spiritual life, I will cherish forever.

Edited by Just Mike
rewording
  • Like 1

We had our old Pastor, for 20 years. He retired last year. We got looking for a new Pastor, to replace him. Well, most liked him and he had a good voice for singing hymns, but some were uncomfortable also. He would pass out a paper pamphlet of what he preached about and made it fill in the blanks. Well, I felt that was odd, because it distracts from the congregation from hearing the sermon. But one day he preached on baptism. Said, he would baptize us 3, 4 or 5 times, until we got it right...... I thought, that is not scriptural. I explained why it was not scriptural by the same Pastor. That it is saying, he done something wrong. And the God expects us to put our faith in Him and how can one do that, and still be baptized so many times. We stopped participating at that church and went to another church. I really feel, that is false doctrine.

YOu are right that is not biblical! We need be water baptized as an adult but one time- it is a public declaration of an inward reality and of itself has no efficacious merit!

As for using notes for a message the church I attend has done it for over 25 years! Hearing and writing tends to help one remember important points more!

I was baptized, Nov 26th, 1995. It was done in cool water. Felt refreshing. I did try to warn the church, that this was non scriptural. The church claimed to have not heard it. That I should talk to the new Pastor alone. So I did, in a private room. Said what was mentioned in Hebrews Chapter 6. Shortly after, he was voted in as New Pastor. My wife and I found a new church to attend, shortly after. She did not like the fact, instead of preaching a sermon, he handed out fill in the blank pamphlets. He thought strangely. He claimed his father was being taken advantage of by a true witch. Of course, if one has the Holy Spirit in dwelled within him, no witch or demon can harm us. So this was strange chatter. I am not going to mention his denomination, due to I believe some Pastors of this denomination are sincere. I think, the church made a terrible error to hire this person. Not scriptural. If we could not resist the devil, than we would be in trouble. But God says we can resist the devil.

• Like 1

I was baptized, Nov 26th, 1995. It was done in cool water. Felt refreshing. I did try to warn the church, that this was non scriptural. The church claimed to have not heard it. That I should talk to the new Pastor alone. So I did, in a private room. Said what was mentioned in Hebrews Chapter 6. Shortly after, he was voted in as New Pastor. My wife and I found a new church to attend, shortly after. She did not like the fact, instead of preaching a sermon, he handed out fill in the blank pamphlets. He thought strangely. He claimed his father was being taken advantage of by a true witch. Of course, if one has the Holy Spirit in dwelled within him, no witch or demon can harm us. So this was strange chatter. I am not going to mention his denomination, due to I believe some Pastors of this denomination are sincere. I think, the church made a terrible error to hire this person. Not scriptural. If we could not resist the devil, than we would be in trouble. But God says we can resist the devil.

Yes, I really like these verses: "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up." James 4:7-10. God bless!

Yes, I really like these verses: "Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded. Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up." James 4:7-10. God bless!

laughable is it not - the oft quoted 'one Lord, one faith, one baptism' = which one - what baptism is really all about was clearly shown by Jesus at His baptism imho - wincam

Once you are"born again through water and the Spirit", you cannot be "born again again". A person is either born or unborn, baptized or unbaptized. Birth and baptism are both one time events.

• Like 2

One immersion is enough! If you did it of your own free will with a deisre to serve God- it matters nothing what anything else was.

• Like 1