The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
theophilus

God and marriage

In the Bible God uses marriage to describe his relationship with his worshipers. In the Old Testament Israel is call the wife of God. In the New Testament the church is the bride of Christ. What about the Holy Spirit? Is there some body of believers that is married to him or is he destined to remain a bachelor for all eternity? I haven't been able to find an answer to this question in the Bible. Apparently this is one of the things we won't be able to find out until we leave our present life.

In the Bible God uses marriage to describe his relationship with his worshipers. In the Old Testament Israel is call the wife of God. In the New Testament the church is the bride of Christ. What about the Holy Spirit? Is there some body of believers that is married to him or is he destined to remain a bachelor for all eternity? I haven't been able to find an answer to this question in the Bible. Apparently this is one of the things we won't be able to find out until we leave our present life.

In Ephesians 5:22-33 Paul speaks of a mystical spiritual union. Lemme ask you a few questions Theo, do you believe the marriage union used in the OT which describes Israel as the wife of God differs from the NT church as the bride of Christ? Do you believe there is a Queen of Heaven? A Princess, and yet to be determined other bride of the Holy Spirit?

I think the best way to understand in part this mystery is to mediate on the spiritual union of communion. Each person has a role in communion including the Holy Spirit. We worship One God in three persons, but I believe you may be insinuating "persons" differently than how persons should be used in context of the Trinity.

There is only one bride to one God. And not One God in three persons to three different brides. OT Israel was a type and foreshadowing of the Church which is Spiritual Israel.

Just sharing a brief commentary I shared on Facebook not long ago on Ephesians 5:22-23 which rejects the carnal marriage but emphasizes the spiritual nature of Christ's union with the Church. Three persons married to three brides may conjure up inappropriate carnal marriage problems, but I believe that's because the marriage union is being observed through a physical carnal lens rather than a spiritual one:

The mystery Paul is speaking about is the "spiritual union" between Christ and the Church. By mystery, Paul means, that no language can explain fully what it implies. Paul is acknowledging both his ignorance and admiration.

However, Ephesians 5:32 in context says Christ is the head of the Church 5:23 (seat of reason, wisdom, knowledge, and motion) and nourishes and cherishes the Church 5:29, because we are members of His body. Paul then makes an allusion to Matthew 19:5 and says, "the two shall become one flesh". In other words they shall constitute one person as Christ makes us partakers of His substance.

By the Spirit we are made part of His body, so that from Him we derive life. But in 5:32 Paul clarifies the mystery to prevent us from thinking of this union in a literal physical sense, but from a mystical spiritual sense by which Christ breathes into the Church life and power. Again, Paul clarifies, "I speak concerning Christ and the church." And lastly in 5:33 Paul iterates that though this is in a mystical spiritual sense, the plain literal sense pertains to us.

God bless,

William

What about the Holy Spirit? Is there some body of believers that is married to him or is he destined to remain a bachelor for all eternity?

Pentecostals ... here and now.

[Just kidding. God is One! Father-Son-Spirit.]

OT Israel was a type and foreshadowing of the Church which is Spiritual Israel.

Israel is described as the wife of God, one already married to him. The church is the bride of Christ and their wedding is still in the future. It is described in chapter 19 of Revelation. Israel and the church are similar but not identical.

Israel is described as the wife of God, one already married to him. The church is the bride of Christ and their wedding is still in the future. It is described in chapter 19 of Revelation. Israel and the church are similar but not identical.

And do you hold that the nation of Israel is a divorced wife from God? She is a whore:

• Hosea 1:9 “Then said God, Call his name Lo-ammi, for ye are not my people, and I will not be your God.”
  • Hosea 2:2 “Plead with your mother, plead: for she is not my wife, neither am I her husband.”

That is:

• Jeremiah 3:8 She saw that for all the adulteries of that faithless one, Israel, I had sent her away with a decree of divorce. Yet her treacherous sister Judah did not fear, but she too went and played the whore.
  • Hosea 2:16, 19:20 “And in that day, declares the LORD, you will call me ‘My Husband,’ and no longer will you call me ‘My Baal.’… And I will betroth you to me forever. I will betroth you to me in righteousness and in justice, in steadfast love and in mercy. 20 I will betroth you to me in faithfulness. And you shall know the Lord.
  • 2 Corinthians 11:2 For I feel a divine jealousy for you, since I betrothed you to one husband, to present you as a pure virgin to Christ.

There is one Husband and one wife:

• Isaiah 49:26 Then all flesh shall know that I am the LORD your Savior, and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob.”
  • Isaiah 50:1 Thus says the LORD: “Where is your mother’s certificate of divorce, with which I sent her away? Or which of my creditors is it to whom I have sold you? Behold, for your iniquities you were sold, and for your transgressions your mother was sent away. Why, when I came, was there no man; why, when I called, was there no one to answer? Is my hand shortened, that it cannot redeem? Or have I no power to deliver? Behold, by my rebuke I dry up the sea, I make the rivers a desert; their fish stink for lack of water and die of thirst.

The climax of this imagery is reached in Revelation 19:7,8:

• “Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to Him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and His wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.”

The bride is the once divorced but now rebetrothed wife – Israel. She is one and the same consisting of faithful remnants from OT to NT throughout the Covenant divide. She is rightfully called the Church which consists of former Jews and Gentiles, the faithful remnant from every tribe, tongue, and nation.

Sorry, brother, but I think you're going to have to come up with some fanciful theology to compensate here. I stand to reason that your hermeneutic is too literalistic to appreciate the imagery of the Bridegroom relationship to the Church.

God bless,

William