The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Meir-Simchah

Happiness?

@Meir-Simchah

What that means is she is the best person and Christian in my life. She was a Christian before she even knew what Christianity was and took every effort and every opportunity to show it, but not to promote anything. Just because she is who she is.

• Like 2

The place of happiness is knowing who we are in Christ. Knowing how much He loves us, how much value He places on us. It's overwhelming, really.

If that is what you meant by, "where is the place of happiness in Christianity?"

• Like 1

Happiness by the world's standards "I just want to be happy" does not exist in the kingdom of God. By virtue of the statement itself, it implies selfishness and that the individual is somehow the center of some realm they have created in their mind that exists for their pleasure. When in reality we were created for Gods pleasure and this is his realm not ours and our life isn't really about us at all. We exist because God wills it so. That is not to say that being his children He certainly loves us and created the earth for us to enjoy and live in, but that is quite secondary to submitting to his will and his way, but by doing that one can truly find peace.

• Like 1

What is the place of happiness in Christianity?

Hello Meir-Simchah,

I like to think of happiness as something we pick up as we walk through life. You know the saying: "Happiness is a warm puppy." The same could be said of playing or talking with a toddler. We could be in dire straits, in our lives, and still grab a little happiness on our journey.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Happiness is not a state we dwell in. If we always exuded happiness, they would probably put us in the funny farm. Yours, Deade :RpS_cool:

The place of happiness is knowing who we are in Christ. Knowing how much He loves us, how much value He places on us. It's overwhelming, really.

If that is what you meant by, "where is the place of happiness in Christianity?"

Yes! That's exactly the sort of answer I was looking for.

Is there a problem with the happiness being a function of what you get out of Christ?

Happiness by the world's standards "I just want to be happy" does not exist in the kingdom of God. By virtue of the statement itself, it implies selfishness and that the individual is somehow the center of some realm they have created in their mind that exists for their pleasure. When in reality we were created for Gods pleasure and this is his realm not ours and our life isn't really about us at all. We exist because God wills it so. That is not to say that being his children He certainly loves us and created the earth for us to enjoy and live in, but that is quite secondary to submitting to his will and his way, but by doing that one can truly find peace.

we were created for Gods pleasure

This is really an amazing idea!

So, what gives God pleasure?

What is the place of happiness in Christianity?

Hello Meir-Simchah,

I like to think of happiness as something we pick up as we walk through life. You know the saying: "Happiness is a warm puppy." The same could be said of playing or talking with a toddler. We could be in dire straits, in our lives, and still grab a little happiness on our journey.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: Happiness is not a state we dwell in. If we always exuded happiness, they would probably put us in the funny farm. Yours, Deade :RpS_cool:

It sounds like you and @just_me are answering along similar line, in terms of the concrete and experiential.

I raised this question because I recently did a podcast episode on happiness (holymadness.podbean.com, episode 8, "The Pursuit of Happiness"). Our interviewee (a Jewish American Israeli in his thirties, like me) tried to put forth an idea of happiness that was divorced from his theology, even though in his personal life the two are intertwined. He had a very specific reason for doing this. He wanted to show that the self-interested pursuit of happiness -- a kind of epicurean happiness -- ultimately leads a person to God. Actually, he was even more specific. He spoke specifically about coming to bitachon in God, which I'd tentatively translate 'trust' in God. What do you think about that?

(If you check out the podcast, you might find episode 9 especially interesting. I kick off the episode by asking my co-host, why don't you accept Jesus as your lord and savior? (Neither of us does.) He recovered quickly from his surprise and came back with a very interesting answer.)

Happiness can Also be synonymous with JOY = putting Jesus first , Others 2nd and Youself last. = JOY.

I'll go a step farther -- Without a personal relationship With God Through Jesus Christ - there is no real inner Joy / happiness.

The fruits of the spirit are love, joy, peace, long suffering, gentlness, kindness, goodness, faithfulness , self-control." That's in Galations 5:22 - 23.

And, Ephesians 5:9 (for the fruit of the Spirit, is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth) finding out what is acceptable to the Lord."

And Ephesians 4:32 "And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you."

• Like 1

(Matthew 5:3-11) . . .“Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the Kingdom of the heavens belongs to them. 4 “Happy are those who mourn, since they will be comforted. 5 “Happy are the mild-tempered, since they will inherit the earth. 6 “Happy are those hungering and thirsting for righteousness, since they will be filled. 7 “Happy are the merciful, since they will be shown mercy. 8 “Happy are the pure in heart, since they will see God. 9 “Happy are the peacemakers, since they will be called sons of God. 10 “Happy are those who have been persecuted for righteousness’ sake, since the Kingdom of the heavens belongs to them. 11 “Happy are you when people reproach you and persecute you and lyingly say every sort of wicked thing against you for my sake.

Mat 5:3  Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
Mat 5:4  Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. 
Mat 5:5  Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. 
Mat 5:6  Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. 
Mat 5:7  Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. 
Mat 5:8  Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. 
Mat 5:9  Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. 
Mat 5:10  Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 
Mat 5:11  Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.