The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Keter

Did God create the devil

How could the Creator create such a terrible foe, something so opposite to himself.and then allow such a monster to exist to torment mankind.

Does it mean that mankind needs the devil so that we run from him and come to the Creator.

Regards

Clive.

He created him good but then iniquity was found in him and he gathered followers. He then tempted man and man fell.

• Like 1

Hi CDF

I wonder if your from Cardiff.

Then if this evil force wasn't in Gods plan of creation why doesn't he destroy him.

If a craftsman made a fine cabinet and one of the parts became rotten and was effecting the good parts he would cut out the rottenness and replace it.

Perhaps theres some reason why God allows the devil to exist, maybe for our benefit.

Regards

Clive.

Hi CDF

I wonder if your from Cardiff.

Then if this evil force wasn't in Gods plan of creation why doesn't he destroy him.

If a craftsman made a fine cabinet and one of the parts became rotten and was effecting the good parts he would cut out the rottenness and replace it.

Perhaps theres some reason why God allows the devil to exist, maybe for our benefit.

Regards

Clive.

He will eventually destroy him. He uses the devil at His will. Man has a choice who to follow.

• Like 1

Hi Keter,

God created Lucifer perfect. He became Satan (adversary) when he rebelled. God knew he would do that because He knows the end from the beginning. Now we can think of the devil as a tool that God uses for His purposes. Please read my latest blog "The White Throne Judgement."

Yours,

Deade

• Like 2

Thanks and God Bless.

Clive.

No problem. God bless you as well.

Hi Keter,

God created Lucifer perfect. He became Satan (adversary) when he rebelled. God knew he would do that because He knows the end from the beginning. Now we can think of the devil as a tool that God uses for His purposes. Please read my latest blog "The White Throne Judgement."

Yours,

Deade

Agreed.

Darkness is needed to contrast light. By God creating Satan he created contrast to show how great he compared to the darkness caused by Satan. That doesn't mean that God created evil by creating Satan as Satan is evil by his own freewill.

​​​​​​

I will take an unpopular position ...

God created All things.

Although evil is negative, God's purpose, which is his own glory, is positive. God is the only one who possesses intrinsic worth, and if he decides that the existence of evil serves to glorify him, then the decree is by definition good and justified – because he thinks it is good and justified. Anyone who thinks that God's glory is not worth the death and suffering of billions of people, especially those who will be tortured in hell forever, has too high an opinion of himself and humanity. A creature's worth is conferred by his creator, according to the purpose for which the creator made him. Since God is the sole standard of measurement, if he thinks that something is justified, then it is by definition justified.

If God does not absolutely determine what happens, then this means that there is another determining power in the universe. When we are speaking of God's relation to man, attributing partial determinism to God implies attributing partial determinism to man also. This becomes a version of dualism.

The sovereignty of God and the freedom of creatures are incompatible. But if the demons became evil by an autonomous self-determination, then this is dualism, and theism itself is overthrown.

Colossians 1:17 He himself is before all things and all things are held togetherin him. [not ALL things except sin]

Ephesians 1:11 works all things according to the counsel of His will [not ALL things except sin]

Romans 9:19 You will say to me, Why then does He still find fault and blame us [for sinning]? For who can resist and withstand His will? 20 But who are you, a mere man, to criticize and contradict and answer back to God? Will what is formed say to him that formed it, Why have you made me thus?

Lamentations 3:37 Who is there who speaks and it comes to pass, Unless the Lord has commanded it? 38 Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both good and ill go forth?

Lots of scriptural examples of God controlling events that are evil. If a man did it they would say what he did was evil.

1. God sends the devil to cause havoc in Job's wife

2. 2 Samuel 24:1 Now again the anger of the Lord burned against Israel, and He incited David against them to say, “Go, count [the people of] Israel and Judah.”: … 10 But David’s heart (conscience) troubled him after he had counted the people. David said to the Lord, “I have sinned greatly in what I have done.

I could give another 20 examples

• Like 3

God created All things.

Although evil is negative, God's purpose, which is his own glory, is positive. God is the only one who possesses intrinsic worth, and if he decides that the existence of evil serves to glorify him, then the decree is by definition good and justified – because he thinks it is good and justified. Anyone who thinks that God's glory is not worth the death and suffering of billions of people, especially those who will be tortured in hell forever, has too high an opinion of himself and humanity. A creature's worth is conferred by his creator, according to the purpose for which the creator made him. Since God is the sole standard of measurement, if he thinks that something is justified, then it is by definition justified.

If God does not absolutely determine what happens, then this means that there is another determining power in the universe. When we are speaking of God's relation to man, attributing partial determinism to God implies attributing partial determinism to man also. This becomes a version of dualism.

The sovereignty of God and the freedom of creatures are incompatible. But if the demons became evil by an autonomous self-determination, then this is dualism, and theism itself is overthrown.

Colossians 1:17 He himself is before all things and all things are held togetherin him. [not ALL things except sin]

Ephesians 1:11 works all things according to the counsel of His will [not ALL things except sin]

Romans 9:19 You will say to me, Why then does He still find fault and blame us [for sinning]? For who can resist and withstand His will? 20 But who are you, a mere man, to criticize and contradict and answer back to God? Will what is formed say to him that formed it, Why have you made me thus?

Lamentations 3:37 Who is there who speaks and it comes to pass, Unless the Lord has commanded it? 38 Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that both good and ill go forth?

Lots of scriptural examples of God controlling events that are evil. If a man did it they would say what he did was evil.

2. 2 Samuel 24:1 Now again the anger of the Lord burned against Israel, and He incited David against them to say, “Go, count [the people of] Israel and Judah.”: … 10 But David’s heart (conscience) troubled him after he had counted the people. David said to the Lord, “I have sinned greatly in what I have done.

God allowed satan to cause havoc. This passage has always fascinated me -- ch 1:vs 7, 8 ,9, 12 -- the conversation between God and satan regarding Job. vs 12 "And the Lord said to Satan, 'Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person." Satan is challenging God -- that if everything Job has is taken from him, that he will curse Him, God. God knows every person completely -- how much we can stand. Satan does not have God's complete knowledge. But satan Does know our weaknesses and how to lure us away from Godly choices.

God created All things.

Why motivates Satan to challenge God? Is it because God wants/directs Satan to challenge Him or is there some other power that determines what Satan will do and if so what is the power and its source?

By what method does God know each of us? Is it because God empowers and upholds us to do whatever He desires or because of some other power that determines how we will respond and if so what is the power and its source?

God created All things.

Wm -- Lucifer wasn't satisfied to be 2nd in command -- he wanted It All. That passage -- is that referring to After the rapture? Those who didn't get taken up to be with Jesus Christ -- Won't all of a sudden realize their mistake and believe After All -- but instead will believe whatever explanation is given to account for the absence of all the people. Some have speculated that at That time in history -- there will so few born-again believers living, that it won't be hard to find some reasonable explanation. Technolodgey Does exist for "beam me up Scotty". All of us pesky Christians won't be bothering anyone anymore. Those who refused to listen won't be bothered. Those who are little kids and continue to grow up will have a chance to accept Jesus Christ -- but it won't be easy -- that will be during the 7 yrs of tribulation.

God created All things.

Fastfredy -- God knows each of us because of His omniscience. He made us in the womb. Satan has been challenging God's authority ever since the Garden of Eden. Satan knows his ultimate destiny is everlasting torment in the lake of fire. Because his ultimate desire is to have as many people join him in hell as possible. He's the greatest deceiver mankind has ever known. He makes sin as attractive to us as possible -- he knows everyone's weaknesses and works with those. He knows what the conditions of hell will be like -- utter darkness -- torment day and night forever. But he gives non-believers the idea that all their friends will be down there with them and they can have a big party -- no God or believers to ruin their fun. The instant they are there -- they will know the truth and they'll be stuck Forever. Maybe one of their tortures will be remembering forever all the times that people shared the Gospel with them and they laughed at them. All the 'if onlyies'. How am I doing on the Bible college exam?! :)

• Like 1

We read in Ezekiel 28:12-19 and Isaiah 14:12-17 that Satan was created perfect, but iniquity grew in him as he wanted the position of God Almighty. Sadly, Adam and Eve chose to believe Satan's lies rather than trusting in God, and now sin has to run its course in order to prove that God is just and merciful in His dealings with angels and men with this sin problem. I believe the war started in heaven when Satan was casting doubt in the minds of other angels about God's character and government. If God would have destroyed Satan right then and there, the other angels would have served Him out of fear, always wondering if Satan's accusations were correct or not. But God is allowing the sin problem to play out completely so that all will know the devastating effects of Satan's government, and the loving character of God and His perfect government. Ultimately sin and all the wicked will be destroyed in the lake of fire, and the earth will be made new; there will be no more crying or pain (Revelation 21:1-4). God bless.

• Like 3

We read in Ezekiel 28:12-19 and Isaiah 14:12-17 that Satan was created perfect, but iniquity grew in him as he wanted the position of God Almighty. Sadly, Adam and Eve chose to believe Satan's lies rather than trusting in God, and now sin has to run its course in order to prove that God is just and merciful in His dealings with angels and men with this sin problem. I believe the war started in heaven when Satan was casting doubt in the minds of other angels about God's character and government. If God would have destroyed Satan right then and there, the other angels would have served Him out of fear, always wondering if Satan's accusations were correct or not. But God is allowing the sin problem to play out completely so that all will know the devastating effects of Satan's government, and the loving character of God and His perfect government. Ultimately sin and all the wicked will be destroyed in the lake of fire, and the earth will be made new; there will be no more crying or pain (Revelation 21:1-4). God bless.

Only one question -- your comment that ultimately sin and all the wicked will be destroyed in the lake of fire -- well -- how about eternal punishment because people have chosen to not accept God's salvation From it. Just as there is eternal Life in heaven for the redeemed. There is eternal punishment for those who Don't. Normal fire Does eventually go out -- the lake of fire Won't. Normal fire destroys? Not especially. We hear of fires frequently. Lots of damage to be sure. But most of the time -- there are remnants of things left. We experienced a mobile home fire many years ago. Ashes , yes, depending on what's burned. And lots of things were burned beyond use , but not especially burned away. And the New Jerusalem will be brought down to this earth by God. Look at Revelation 21. The first heaven and the first earth will pass away. And there will not be any more sea. God will then be dwelling with people 'here'. And, yes, no more crying or pain. Something to look forward to.

God created All things.

Thanks for the 'thumbs up' -- any more questions? :)

God created All things.

Hey Fredy:

god created Lucifer knowing he would rebel and then deceive mankind! As it says in Isaiah God creates good and evil for their purposes. We should be careful going too far past this for the why's god has allowed Satan to continue as god of this world are cloaked in the unknown.

We can offer opinions (and I have some of my own) but they range from being right from 100 to 0%

What we can rejoice in is that in teh end- god does triumph and vanquishes evil for eternity.

Yes, there is eternal punishment, it's called perishing (John 3:16 & Psalm 68:2), destruction (Matt. 10:28 & 2 Thes. 1:9), reduced to ashes (Malachi 4:3), second death (Rev. 2:11; 20:14; & 21:8). Malachi 4:1-3 "For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch...And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts." Sodom and Gomorrah were examples of eternal fire/punishment (Jude 7 and 2 Peter 2:6), and they are not still burning today, but the effects/consequences are eternal. Also, Jerusalem suffered the example of unquenchable fire (Jeremiah 17:27 / Fulfillment in 2 Chronicles 36:19-21), but the fire went out when it finished its work. Satan will also be destroyed completely by fire (Ezekiel 28:13-19). God is love and will not burn anyone for eternity :). God bless!

Check out this website for more details: https://www.helltruth.com/

• Like 1

Hi nolidad,

God doesn't need to create evil, He just defines evil. It's not up to us to decide between good and evil, that is God's job.

Yours,

Deade :RpS_rolleyes: 1688171912_Z2pRTwnBAe2SyTH4YsxYu26chvpA92Rle4vAvVUXZjq1YNrH556mgHwVggGSwCZVNQQw300.png.f7682944e6469588b2bbbdb43cc66f1f.png

i06007.0.jpg.ef013e635f20e0fb3ef096ba4857f6f1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi nolidad,

God doesn't need to create evil, He just defines evil. It's not up to us to decide between good and evil, that is God's job.

Yours,

Deade :RpS_rolleyes: [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","height":"95","title":"Z2pRTwnBAe2SyTH4YsxYu26chvpA92Rle4vAvVUXZjq1YNrH556mgHwVggGSwCZVNQQ=w300.png","width":"95","data-attachmentid":62090}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","height":"152","title":"i06007.0.jpg","width":"152","data-attachmentid":62091}[/ATTACH]

Sorry, I did not read the forum question right. I thought it said "Did God create evil"

My bad.

As it says in Isaiah God creates good and evil for their purposes.
That is not what the text says. The Hebrew word רַע has a wide range of meaning. Like English it can refer to moral evil or to simple misfortune (i.e. I am having a bad day). A very good example of its wide range of meaning is Jer. 24:2-3.

One basket had very good figs, like first-ripe figs, but the other basket had very bad figs, so bad that they could not be eaten. And the LORD said to me, “What do you see, Jeremiah?” I said, “Figs, the good figs very good, and the bad figs very bad, so bad that they cannot be eaten.”
Are bad figs morally evil? No. Since good figs are ripe figs it follows that bad figs are rotten or at the very least unripe figs. The point is the Hebrew word רַע covers a lot of ground and in this case the good figs which are contrasted with the bad figs helps us understand what bad figs are.

The same can be done in Isa. 45:7. The Hebrew word רַע stands in contrast to שָׁלוֹם (i.e. peace, well–being). The Hebrew word for "good" is טוֹב and that word is not used in this verse.

The Net Bible does a really good job with this verse.

I am the one who forms light and creates darkness;

the one who brings about peace and creates calamity.

When the words are understood as opposites, the meaning is clear. This verse is not stating God made evil in a moral sense or even good for that matter. God Himself is the good. The contrast is one between peace and calamity not moral good and evil.
  • Like 2

Yes God created Satan. God created all things Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. Calamity ... evil SAME THING

God created all things Isa 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. Calamity ... evil SAME THING
That means that God is the author and source of all evil. Good to know.

Your claim demonstrates a complete lack of understand standing concerning the Hebrew terms used. Underlying words in an English translation and using all caps proves you have nothing meaningful to offer.

That means that God is the author and source of all evil. Good to know.

Your claim demonstrates a complete lack of understand standing concerning the Hebrew terms used. Underlying words in an English translation and using all caps proves do not have anything meaning to offer.

I quote scripture, the Bible. You attack my grammar. So if God did not create the devil who did?

• Like 1