Sign in to follow this  
The led

What word-for-word translations of Bible do you know?

I have read KJV and got many questions. Now I am seeking for word-for-word translations of Bible.

I found the free interlinear Bible here:

http://scripture4all.org/

The old testament from ancient hebrew language:

http://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm

The new testament from ancient greek language:

http://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm

The books can be downloaded in PDF format.

1730610297_wordforword.JPG.1f81f002360e8dca23317cc8d65bbcb3.JPG

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum The Led.

How wonderful that you have the desire to know which Bibles are the best Word For Word Translations. I have actually bought several of these different literal Bible translations. I openly admit I have a bias, and i will share with you my opinion's.

The two most generally accepted by Bible scholars as the most literal Word for Word Bibles are the New American Standard Bible (updated 1995) and the English Standard Version Bible. I personally use the NASB as my daily Bible, its my favorite. The NASB had more than fifty who had earned doctorates in Biblical languages worked on the translation of the Scriptures. All the translators stated they supported the literal inerrancy of the Scriptures, I personally knew two of the translators, and they were Godly Spirit filled men. Over 20 of the translators actively taught in colleges and seminaries. Over eleven different Denominations and non-denominations were represented in those translators who first worked on the NASB. The updated 1995 NASB had twenty three translators, and I personally knew one of them.

I have a closer tie to the NSAB as I have a friend at the Lockman Foundation, and the and I talk frequently. They are working on refreshing the NASB now and expect it to come out in 2019.

The ESV had a "hundred member team, which shares a common commitment to the truth of God's Word, and to historic Christian orthodoxy,, is international in scope and includes leaders in many denominations." (ESV Preface)" "The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (ESV) is adapted from the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright Division of Christian Education of the National Council Of Churches of Christ in the U. S. A. All rights reserved,"

In my opinion the ESV is a very good Word for Word translation. The ESV had many solid conservative Bible scholars in their translator teams. There are a number of Lutherans, Baptists, and other denominations that were involved in the ESV.

Here is my personal thinking, after several years of reviewing the ESV with a personal bias against the ESV I have changed my mind. After getting a list of the translators and reading each or the translators degrees and where the positions they currently held, I am deeply impressed. My bias comes from a long past history with the National Council of Churches, and the Revised Standard Version Bible. The RSV has in Isaiah 7:14 used the words "a young woman shall conceive and bear a son.." when the RSV came out in 1952 there was a huge out cry that this was a terrible mistranslated verse. The word "virgin" was changed to "young woman" many denominations rejected the RSV just on this verse alone. However in the ESV this has correctly been changes to "the virgin shall conceive" this is the correct and acceptable way to translate this verse.

I started reading the NASB back in 1960 as each of the New Testament books were published one book at a time, until the completed NASB was first published in 1971. Then in 1995 the Updated NASB was published. My history and personal involvement from the beginning has bonded me to this wonderful Bible. I have over the years have had the privilege to personally in Seminary to take classes from two professors involved in translating the NASB.

For you to choose which one of these two fine translations (NASB or the ESV) for your personal Bible will not be a easy. You might want to read the reviews, ask your pastor, and after reading some selections on you might have a personal reading choice that fits your style best. God bless and I hope to hear what you selected.

• Like 3

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","height":"140","width":"680","data-attachmentid":58922}[/ATTACH]

What is "interlinear" at this picture? Is it the interlinear translation which I posted in this topic before? Does this translation have an unique abbreviature?

The two most generally accepted by Bible scholars as the most literal Word for Word Bibles are the New American Standard Bible (updated 1995) and the English Standard Version Bible. I personally use the NASB as my daily Bible, its my favorite. The NASB had more than fifty who had earned doctorates in Biblical languages worked on the translation of the Scriptures. All the translators stated they supported the literal inerrancy of the Scriptures, I personally knew two of the translators, and they were Godly Spirit filled men. Over 20 of the translators actively taught in colleges and seminaries. Over eleven different Denominations and non-denominations were represented in those translators who first worked on the NASB. The updated 1995 NASB had twenty three translators, and I personally knew one of them.

I am very glad that many who earned doctorates in Biblical languages took a part in the translating of NASB. I shall read and inspect this translation. But I want to learn Bible deeper, I want to read even some interlinears.

Your post is very informative. Thank you.

• Like 1

The New American Standard Bible (NASB):

http://www.lockman.org/

The book can be read online.

The RSV has in Isaiah 7:14 used the words "a young woman shall conceive and bear a son.." when the RSV came out in 1952 there was a huge out cry that this was a terrible mistranslated verse. The word "virgin" was changed to "young woman" many denominations rejected the RSV just on this verse alone. However in the ESV this has correctly been changes to "the virgin shall conceive" this is the correct and acceptable way to translate this verse.

You mentioned Isaiah 7:14. I've read this verse in the interlinear translation which I posted here before. There is used the word "damsel". Not "virgin" and not "young woman". Which of translators is right?

you mentioned isaiah 7:14. I've read this verse in the interlinear translation which i posted here before. There is used the word "damsel". Not "virgin" and not "young woman". Which of translators is right?

virgin.

Something I've heard is that the word 'damsel' was okay to use because in that culture a damsel was a young lady and considered to Be a virgin. But I still prefer the word 'virgin'. It leaves no room for question.

I grew up with KJV and have gone to NKJV and often also use the Old NIV Study Bible -- it goes between individual verses and paragraph form. The Precepts study class I used to go to used the NAS. I'm pretty flexible.

And I know people who won't touch anything other than the KJV.

• Like 2

For my use the best word for word common translations that I have found are the NKJV ,ESV, and NASB

• Like 3

I have just recently come across the MEV. I have heard mixed reviews(though mostly positive) concerning it.

I have read KJV and got many questions. Now I am seeking for word-for-word translations of Bible.

I found the free interlinear Bible here:

http://scripture4all.org/

The old testament from ancient hebrew language:

http://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Hebrew_Index.htm

The new testament from ancient greek language:

http://scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm

The books can be downloaded in PDF format.

Word for Words can be mind bending for the simple fact that constructions are different in the languages and many times even the best interlinear translations do not parse the verbs fully into English.

My favorite bible to study for linguistics is the online blue letter bible--excellent source for getting to see the verbs in their full power and use.

• Like 1

I googled and found another free word-for-word translation of Bible here:

http://shylx.us.to/bb/

The book can be downloaded in PDF format.

There are the interlinear translation of Pentateuch and Gospel and the absolutely unexpected interpretation with illustrations.

Something I've heard is that the word 'damsel' was okay to use because in that culture a damsel was a young lady and considered to Be a virgin. But I still prefer the word 'virgin'. It leaves no room for question.

Let's assume that the abbreviature of the interlinear translation which I posted at the first message of this topic is "SFA" (Scripture For All).

As I can see in SFA, the words "virgin" and "damsel" have a different transliteration from ancient hebrew language:

GH-L-M-H (damsel) <-- this word is used in Isaiah 7:14

B-TH-W-L-H (virgin) <-- this word is used in other verses

Because KJV is a traditional translation. But I want to know the true word of God.

Word for Words can be mind bending for the simple fact that constructions are different in the languages and many times even the best interlinear translations do not parse the verbs fully into English.

I think that the interlinear translations might be useful to check a common non-word-for-word translations of Bible.

There is a really great Bible that's free. Blueletterbible.org It might be just what you want.

• Like 2

Because KJV is a traditional translation. But I want to know the true word of God.

Only the original versions are without error. That being said, we are confident that we are very close. So it is with various English versions. They disagree with each other, but the disagreement is very small. One could argue the 'thought for thought" versions are somewhat more off, but they have some advantages.

• Like 2

You will not be harmed by many of the many translations (not paraphrases). though they are not exacting and translations can weaken thoughts- there are no doctrinal discrepancies in many translations!

You should supplement your studies with works that study the times of the gospels (an example is the four volume series "The Life of the Messiah from a Jewish Perspective).

Many things written in the NT and OT are not well known in modern times and we tend to make bizarre conclusions just simply because we do not know the cultures in which passages were written in.

• Like 2

You will not be harmed by many of the many translations (not paraphrases). though they are not exacting and translations can weaken thoughts- there are no doctrinal discrepancies in many translations!

You should supplement your studies with works that study the times of the gospels (an example is the four volume series "The Life of the Messiah from a Jewish Perspective).

Many things written in the NT and OT are not well known in modern times and we tend to make bizarre conclusions just simply because we do not know the cultures in which passages were written in.

Well -- lots of Bible is not well-known simply because it's not Read very much -- it's not taken as the authoritative Word of God. There's a passage 2 Timothy 3:16 that says " All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. That the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

• Like 2

Dear Sue:

You rcomment is sad but true.

Too many brothers and sisters rely more on philosophy and feelings than the straightforward word of God. we are commanded by our Savior to know the Word and study faithfully so we can be fit workman. I am blessed in that in the church I attend, I helped build a bible institute and we have a healthy enrolment and we teach doctrine very very deeply there as well as how to live out the christian life!

• Like 3

FastfredyO Can you name which Word for Word English Bibles disagree with each other? Can you give a verse for example? I think I have most Word for Word Bibles and I am sure I have not read all of that is for sure/ I just would like an example to look it up. God bless.

Dear Sue:

You rcomment is sad but true.

Too many brothers and sisters rely more on philosophy and feelings than the straightforward word of God. we are commanded by our Savior to know the Word and study faithfully so we can be fit workman. I am blessed in that in the church I attend, I helped build a bible institute and we have a healthy enrolment and we teach doctrine very very deeply there as well as how to live out the christian life!

True, sad but so true. I find some Christians saying they want to know how how to study the Bible, but won't invest in some very basic inexpensive tools to do proper Bible study. Here are a few I think are essential tools; A Word for Word Study Bible( NASB, ESV, An Exhaustive Concordance in the Bible translation they mainly use, A Bible Dictionary, These are Bible study basic tools, If a person just purchases just one iten it should be a Study Bible in a Word for Word translation.

A Christian is basically responsible for their personal spiritual growth, after the Preaching of the WORD in Church and study in Church School (or Sunday School is you Prefer).

• Like 1

The differences between English grammar and syntax and that of Greek and Hebrew often make a word for translation impossible. For example, the number of words in the KJV is ca. 180,000. Depending upon which edition of the Greek N.T. one is using, the number of words is ca. 138,000–140,000 words. Thus the KJV has ca. 40,000 more words. While there are translations that try and stay as close as possible to the Hebrew and Greek texts, no translation can do this 100% of the time.

Edited by Origen
  • Like 5

The differences between English grammar and syntax and that of Greek and Hebrew often make a word for translation impossible. For example, the number of words in the KJV is ca. 180,000. Depending upon which edition of the Greek N.T. one is using, the number of words is ca. 138,000–140,000 words. Thus the KJV has ca. 40,000 more words. While there are translations that try and stay as close as possible to the Hebrew and Greek texts, no translation can do this 100% of the time.

So that which we have in English is as close as possible in translation. We Don't try to supplement God's Word with other man-written books. Some belief system do that.