The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
TonyT

Is Harry Potter a satanic attempt to make people Envious

@justme

Introducing anyone without discussion neglects the person involved. We live in a world steeped in hedonism and gluttony. Information is everywhere and our children are being bombarded from every angle known to man. Ideals and information are not our enemies here. The lack of desire to confront bad ideas and give our kids the information they need to confront the world of their peers is to disarm them in the face of a sinful world.

The ideas you speak of are conjured up in the imaginative mind God gave us to use. They just don't have the information and the discipline they need to keep themselves safe. Our kids don't need to see a Harry Potter movie or read a book to have these ideas in their heads. All they need to do is be a kid around other kids and we can't keep them from that

• Like 1

I already touched on the first point she made. Now, for the second. Harry Potter gives children an interest in magic, which is evil. Any responsible parent should take care in what they expose their children to.

David Copperfield gives people an interest in Magic. Harry Potter gives an interest in witchcraft. I think the disconnect to what is inocent and what is not is that Magic is not looked at in the same guise as witchcraft. One of the reasons I don't like Halloween is because it trivializes much of what is out there in the darkness.

• Like 2

@justme

Introducing anyone without discussion neglects the person involved. We live in a world steeped in hedonism and gluttony. Information is everywhere and our children are being bombarded from every angle known to man. Ideals and information are not our enemies here. The lack of desire to confront bad ideas and give our kids the information they need to confront the world of their peers is to disarm them in the face of a sinful world.

The ideas you speak of are conjured up in the imaginative mind God gave us to use. They just don't have the information and the discipline they need to keep themselves safe. Our kids don't need to see a Harry Potter movie or read a book to have these ideas in their heads. All they need to do is be a kid around other kids and we can't keep them from that

Dear Brother, this is a secondary issue, so we will agree to disagree, in Christ's love.

@justme I'm not saying to take them to the movies to see it or read it. I'm saying it must ve discussed in the home. What I am hearing from everyone is to simply x it out of reality and such things don't go away.

• Like 2

I already touched on the first point she made. Now, for the second. Harry Potter gives children an interest in magic, which is evil. Any responsible parent should take care in what they expose their children to.

David Copperfield gives people an interest in Magic. Harry Potter gives an interest in witchcraft. I think the disconnect to what is inocent and what is not is that Magic is not looked at in the same guise as witchcraft. One of the reasons I don't like Halloween is because it trivializes much of what is out there in the darkness.

Magic done by magicians is doesn't envole anything supernatural or even suggest it, for the most part anyway. In today's time the allure is trying to figure out how the magician did the trick. It would more accurate to call people like David Copperfield illusionest.

What I would call magic is the use of any supernaturally power.

@justme I'm not saying to take them to the movies to see it or read it. I'm saying it must ve discussed in the home. What I am hearing from everyone is to simply x it out of reality and such things don't go away.

The only point I'm trying to get across is that it's not something Christians should be entertaining themselves with.

Discussion is definitely a good idea. If more people knew that witchcraft and sorcery actually is they would question why it's even thought of as something to include in children's shows and movies. Most occulitic rituals involve child molestations and sacrifice and gay origies.

@justme

justme, I think just_me is speaking of where children and teens get these ideas, is from their peers. Like you suggested in comment #23.1.

Lord of the Rings shows that the use of magic could be good or bad, true, but there's a movie called The Craft that has the same principle, I don't know if you seen it or not, but it's about a group of girls in high school who get together and practice witchcraft, one girl becomes abusive with her magic and eventually turns on the other girls in her coven. In the end they defeat bad witch by using the same magic. ​​​​
I haven't seen it, but again that is glorifying the use of magic as its shown as the only thing that can solve the problem. Also the problem isn't shown as the power itself but as the fact the person abuses it. It is therefore easy for viewers to think that they would like that power and that they would of course use it wisely - isn't that the very essence of temptation?

I'd love to see a movie of something like Robert Westall's 'The Watchouse', but I suspect it is extremely unlikely to be made, since it shows Christian faith being needed to defeat evil, after the modern methods etc. fail and just make it worse.

• Like 2

Yes you are right. All our 4 children are adults with children of their own now. But we always took the time to fully discuss the things we saw as

• Like 1

MY kids are adults but I would not want their kids to read that stuff. Those are not what I would recommend for kids at all....fairy tales are better without demonic stuff..Or Bible stories..

• Like 2

MY kids are adults but I would not want their kids to read that stuff. Those are not what I would recommend for kids at all....fairy tales are better without demonic stuff..Or Bible stories..

Totally agree with your post.

• Like 1

I am amazed why more Christians do not see the danger in movies and books like Harry Potter. I believe the Bible warns us about witchcraft, and occult type of things. I can think of so many better books and movies to watch.

• Like 2

It's not the reading or the watching that concerns me, more than it is the inability to articulate in fine detail the dangers of glorifying witchcraft ans waizardry. Most people can't get beyond the idea that this sensationalizes magic, They yell, they scream and they shake their fists at Herry Potter, but the the response is that it's fictional and the discussion devolves down into a name calling event that never recuperates. Our youth are stuck with justifying the rants of others who won't bother themselves to make a rational argument about this and many times settle with smearing at others who smear back at them with equivalent levels of disgust,

We need to give our kids a better understanding of the depth in which sensationalism and glorification of anything effects them and on how many levels these ideals intrude into our hearts and minds if these kids don't have Biblical instilled fire walls set up through information we give them that we get from the Bible and the Holy spirit., they will be susceptible to peer pressure and the human desire to be a part of something.

This goes deeper than envy, because it produces an imagery of using that which is evil against a greater evil and the idea that we don't need God to confront evil, as we can do it ourselves by embracing witchcraft and turn it to good and where has man ever been able to do that? Nowhere!!!!

It also puts the ideal of neatness and coolness in the ideal of using mystic forces to do everyday life as though in doing so would not cost you a thing and would benefit you . I think Jesus's words in that no man can follow two masters comes into stark reality at the ideal of depending on magic.

All in all, it is the desire to use a power that was not granted you, by God, to run your life and be honored by doing so, with the adulation of those around you. That is the danger here and that is what we need to instil in our youth so that they understand the danger and mount a defense, not only of themselves, but those around them who don't understand any of this.

• Like 2

Harry Potter series promoted witchcraft. Encouraging children to watch that is like spiritually poisoning children. With the way the world is going today morally speaking, the world is attempting to normalize evil as good and attacking all that is of God as evil. I believe as children of the Lord God, we have to be very careful about what we watch and read. We should be more mindful of what we expose ourselves to that attempts to imprint itself in our minds. Now with the internet, social media and so many other technical tools that are being used to promote evil, sin and perversion that are being spread like wildfire, it's much harder now to control these things that our children are exposed to on a daily basis. While prophecy is being fulfilled in that the level of depravity is reaching unprecedented levels in this world, God is still in control and still watching over His children.

Guard your minds and hearts and those of your children and choose those things which promote Godly morals and values. If I watch TV at all, it's either Fox News, The Hallmark channel and I do love a good mystery.

• Like 2