The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism. Those who would challenge the peace and harmony that we enjoy here as fellow believers are directed to another website.
Sign in to follow this  
fairystar

Question

i have a question,my brother died a few years ago,he and his gf are both Atheism,I wanted to know if you think my brother was able to go to heaven,he would have done anything for anyone,he was a great person,please give me your thoughts,thank you in advance.

• Like 1

i have a question,my brother died a few years ago,he and his gf are both Atheism,I wanted to know if you think my brother was able to go to heaven,he would have done anything for anyone,he was a great person,please give me your thoughts,thank you in advance.
Salvation has never been about being a great person or being good enough.
  • Like 3

Nothing is sadder than people who strive to live 'good lives' but will not bend knee before Jesus. My grandparents were such people. I grew up with stories about my father's father running the grocery department in a supermarket during the Great Depression and offering a 'fill a bag for a nickel' sale on Fridays to allow people to buy the produce that he was supposed to throw away, or how he dedicated his life as a volunteer paramedic saving the lives of strangers. I heard stories about my mother's father who ran a boarding house and once threw an attempted rapist down a flight of stairs to protect a nurse that lived in a third floor apartment. Yet their lives and those of their children all indicate love of family, but no relationship with God through his son Jesus Christ.

I have a brother who worked harder, loved his children and was a better employer than any man I know. He died in an auto accident as he was just starting to ask questions about God (while divorced from his wife and living with a girlfriend).

They were all 'good people'. Better by far than most by human standards. It hurts to think that I will probably never see any of them ever again.

Dealing with that reality has given me a special passion when it comes to things like Jehovah's Witnesses. I have such pity and sympathy for the people who are working so hard to be 'perfect' and earn one of 144,000 seats into Heaven. I have such hatred for the lying religion that leads them to try so hard with no chance of success.

I can't tell you what to do with your brother's death, but my brother's death opened my eyes to the reality that I was taking 'evangelism' far too lightly. I don't need to stand on a street corner and shout at strangers, but every time God creates an opportunity for me to speak into someone's life ... there might not be another chance.

Edited by atpollard
Spelling
  • Like 4

Nothing is sadder than people who strive to live 'good lives' but will not bend knee before Jesus. My grandparents were such people. I grew up with stories about my father's father running the grocery department in a supermarket during the Great Depression and offering a 'fill a bag for a nickel' sale on Fridays to allow people to buy the produce that he was supposed to throw away, or how he dedicated his life as a volunteer paramedic saving the lives of strangers. I heard stories about my mother's father who ran a boarding house and once threw an attempted rapist down a flight of stairs to protect a nurse that lived in a third floor apartment. Yet their lives and those of their children all indicate love of family, but no relationship with God through his son Jesus Christ.

I have a brother who worked harder, loved his children and was a better employer than any man I know. He died in an auto accident as he was just starting to ask questions about God (while divorced from his wife and living with a girlfriend).

They were all 'good people'. Better by far than most by human standards. It hurts to think that I will probably never see any of them ever again.

Dealing with that reality has given me a special passion when it comes to things like Jehovah's Witnesses. I have such pity and sympathy for the people who are working so hard to be 'perfect' and earn one of 144,000 seats into Heaven. I have such hatred for the lying religion that leads them to try so hard with no chance of success.

I can't tell you what to do with your brother's death, but my brother's death opened my eyes to the reality that I was taking 'evangelism' far too lightly. I don't need to stand on a street corner and shout at strangers, but every time God creates an opportunity for me to speak into someone's life ... there might not be another chance.

Did your brother believe in God?How old was he when he died?

Did your brother believe in God?How old was he when he died?

Yes he believed in god, but so does Satan.

Did he trust his 'righteousness' to Jesus death on the Cross? ... I don't know. He was 'talking about God and spiritual things with a Jehovah's Witness and some of their answers didn't sound right to him. I told him what the Bible said about those questions and gave him a Bible. "Don't take anybody's word, go and read it for yourself." I told him. "We can talk again if you have any questions." There would be no chance to talk again. His car broke an axle a mile from his house along a busy highway. He was walking home to get his other car. A Methodist Minister had a hypoglycemic attack, made a u-turn over across the median of the divided highway, drove up the shoulder of the road bouncing over curbs and driveways and struck my brother from behind.

So I had to figure out how I felt about God using a minister to kill my brother as he was finally asking the important questions. I honestly have no idea whether I will see Richard or not. However, I did walk away with two lessons burned into my soul:

1. God is sovereign and his ways past our knowing. Richard is, or is not in heaven 100% because of the decision of God.

2. Tomorrow really is promised to no one. Every open door could be a last chance to share the Good News.

Richard was 33 years old when he died.

• Like 2

Yes he believed in god, but so does Satan.

Did he trust his 'righteousness' to Jesus death on the Cross? ... I don't know. He was 'talking about God and spiritual things with a Jehovah's Witness and some of their answers didn't sound right to him. I told him what the Bible said about those questions and gave him a Bible. "Don't take anybody's word, go and read it for yourself." I told him. "We can talk again if you have any questions." There would be no chance to talk again. His car broke an axle a mile from his house along a busy highway. He was walking home to get his other car. A Methodist Minister had a hypoglycemic attack, made a u-turn over across the median of the divided highway, drove up the shoulder of the road bouncing over curbs and driveways and struck my brother from behind.

So I had to figure out how I felt about God using a minister to kill my brother as he was finally asking the important questions. I honestly have no idea whether I will see Richard or not. However, I did walk away with two lessons burned into my soul:

1. God is sovereign and his ways past our knowing. Richard is, or is not in heaven 100% because of the decision of God.

2. Tomorrow really is promised to no one. Every open door could be a last chance to share the Good News.

Richard was 33 years old when he died.

Im so sorry to hear this how many years ago did this happen?

• Like 2

Im so sorry to hear this how many years ago did this happen?

Fifteen years ago this past October. It was the year before I got married. He never had a chance to meet my future bride.

One positive that came out of it, I really came to study and understand the book of Job. Sometime I will have to tell you about "the gift of Job".

• Like 1

Unfortunately there are a lot of good people doing a lot of good things for people -- and they probably believe in God to some extent -- our good intentions are Not the key to our eternal home in heaven.

On another Forum some time ago, there was a man who was Mad at the thought that sometimes those who do horrible things Do end up accepting Jesus Christ as personal Savior and end up in heaven in Spite of. While those who've done so much Good for humanity -- are good neighbors, etc, but Don't accept Christ as Savior end up in hell.

We need to accept the fact that the one and only way of eternal life in heaven is God's Way.

And it IS sad to realize that lots of good, loving people Here won't be There. Especially when they are our friends / relatives.

• Like 1

crazy but I have a question,do you think my Brlother that has passed away is keeping me from seeing my boyfriend or do you think my boyfriend just does not want to be with me?This happened a few years ago,my boyfriend and I were supposed to be together,it was either new years eve or new years day,he was going to be coming to my house after work,he slipped and fell at his work,he had to spend that holiday at the hospital,it wasn't always like this,he used to always come to my house and now he picks a date to come to my house and doesn't come,please give me your thoughts on this.

crazy but I have a question,do you think my Brlother that has passed away is keeping me from seeing my boyfriend or do you think my boyfriend just does not want to be with me?This happened a few years ago,my boyfriend and I were supposed to be together,it was either new years eve or new years day,he was going to be coming to my house after work,he slipped and fell at his work,he had to spend that holiday at the hospital,it wasn't always like this,he used to always come to my house and now he picks a date to come to my house and doesn't come,please give me your thoughts on this.

Your dead brother has no influence on you or other people Except where it's allowed to happen by the person. We can feel so attached to another person that we feel their presence everywhere even though they aren't here any more. You seem to be stuck in the past. We're in the here and now.

Your boyfriend couldn't help slipping and falling at his job and having to spend that time in the hospital. Didn't he let you know at the time what happened? And, like you said -- that was a few years ago.

Don't you and your boyfriend talk about things?

On what basis do you consider him to be your boyfriend.

Didn't you ask this earlier?

It's your decision as to who you decide you want to see and who Not to see.

What has your relationship with him been Since then?

Are you both believers?

Is there a church you go to regularly?

• Like 1

Your dead brother has no influence on you or other people Except where it's allowed to happen by the person. We can feel so attached to another person that we feel their presence everywhere even though they aren't here any more. You seem to be stuck in the past. We're in the here and now.

Your boyfriend couldn't help slipping and falling at his job and having to spend that time in the hospital. Didn't he let you know at the time what happened? And, like you said -- that was a few years ago.

Don't you and your boyfriend talk about things?

On what basis do you consider him to be your boyfriend.

Didn't you ask this earlier?

It's your decision as to who you decide you want to see and who Not to see.

What has your relationship with him been Since then?

Are you both believers?

Is there a church you go to regularly?

No I know it was not his fault slipping and falling at his work I am not stuck in the past,my boyfriend is my love of my life,I love him with all my heart.

No I know it was not his fault slipping and falling at his work I am not stuck in the past,my boyfriend is my love of my life,I love him with all my heart.

I have a mentor who does LOTS of marriage counseling. He has a simple picture that he draws for couples. Draw a triangle with equal length sides. Write "man" at one bottom corner. Write "woman" at the other bottom corner. Write "GOD" at the point at the top. This is where you are right now. Notice that as the man and the woman move closer to God, they also naturally move closer to each other.

You cannot change someone else. You cannot control someone else. The way forward is ALWAYS moving you closer to God. You are the only person you can control and God is the only one who can fix anything and everything that really matters.

• Like 2

I have a mentor who does LOTS of marriage counseling. He has a simple picture that he draws for couples. Draw a triangle with equal length sides. Write "man" at one bottom corner. Write "woman" at the other bottom corner. Write "GOD" at the point at the top. This is where you are right now. Notice that as the man and the woman move closer to God, they also naturally move closer to each other.

You cannot change someone else. You cannot control someone else. The way forward is ALWAYS moving you closer to God. You are the only person you can control and God is the only one who can fix anything and everything that really matters.

That's very true

WoW -- I've need That. And I've heard it before -- but Now is very good timing, too.

Then why did you bring up that incident from several years ago -- that's living in the past.

On what basis is he the love of your life? How do you define 'love'.

What is your relationship like Now?

Then why did you bring up that incident from several years ago -- that's living in the past.

On what basis is he the love of your life? How do you define 'love'.

What is your relationship like Now?

It's like if I tell someone that he is going to be coming to my house,then something comes up where he is not able to come to my house,so I try not to say it out loud that he is coming to my house when he can get the time off work.

It's like if I tell someone that he is going to be coming to my house,then something comes up where he is not able to come to my house,so I try not to say it out loud that he is coming to my house when he can get the time off work.

So -- if you don't say it out loud -- it won't jinx his coming over?!

If you could respond to the other questions, please. I'm concerned.

What is the nature of your disability?

So -- if you don't say it out loud -- it won't jinx his coming over?!

If you could respond to the other questions, please. I'm concerned.

What is the nature of your disability?

I have a slow learning disability sld for short

• Like 1

I have a slow learning disability sld for short

Thanks for sharing that -- what is the nature of Gary's disability?

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing that -- what is the nature of Gary's disability?

He has sld also

He has sld also

Sounds like you Might be trying to hang onto that relationship simply because he's 'there'. You Do care about him, he's a lot like you. You have That in common. But your relationship to God through Jesus Christ is really the most important relationship. Having friends we can relate to Is important in life. But it should be strictly platonic -- not including sex.

• Like 1

Sounds like you Might be trying to hang onto that relationship simply because he's 'there'. You Do care about him, he's a lot like you. You have That in common. But your relationship to God through Jesus Christ is really the most important relationship. Having friends we can relate to Is important in life. But it should be strictly platonic -- not including sex.

yes I care about him a lot,I love him with all my heart

yes I care about him a lot,I love him with all my heart

On what basis do you 'love' him with all your heart? You'd said that the two of you barely talk.

Have you looked at 1 Corinthians 13 : 4 - 7 ? What does that passage say about 'love'?

• Like 1

On what basis do you 'love' him with all your heart? You'd said that the two of you barely talk.

Have you looked at 1 Corinthians 13 : 4 - 7 ? What does that passage say about 'love'?

The 1 Corinthians 13 passages says "Love is patient;, love is kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs, Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with truth, It always protects , always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. "

Hope this helps you with your understanding of what Biblical 'love' is.