The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Gods crusader

Radical beliefs

I'm not entirely sure what your mean by "brave biblical law", but if you mean breaking laws that are in the Bible, you will find the old Testament contains an entire list of specific offenses and their penalties. Stoning the culprit is not the sentence for every offense, so if you did you would be breaking the law yourself.

The New Testament has a very simple line on Jesus' view of stoning: John 8:7 "So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."

Edited by ChatterBox
Edited because I still can't spell on a phone...

No sorry I meant people who brake biblical law and yes I'm aware of the different types of of punishment for other crimes I mean the more serious ones God bless

Am I wrong thinking that all people who brave biblical law should be headed or stoned to death :RpS_confused:

Israel was a nation and a nation has the responsibility to enforce laws and punish criminals. The Mosaic law included instruction on how to do this. The church is not a nation but is to be subject the the laws of the nations in which it resides. The laws governing the punishment of wrongdoers do not apply to us. During the Millennium Jesus will rule the world and it is likely that these laws will once again be in force.

The Old Testament laws have been replaced by the blood of Christ that was shed for everyone -- no more sacrifices to be made yearly.

We Are to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul and mind and our neighbor as ourselves.

All we do and say is to bring glory to God.

God takes sin a whole lot more seriously than we do. It's Relationship with us that He wants. It's no longer a matter of keeping the Ten Commandments -- the point of Them was to show us that it's impossible to be good enough to earn our way to heaven. Since the cross / resurrection / we are under grace not works.

• Like 2

Am I wrong thinking that all people who brave biblical law should be headed or stoned to death

There is much that could be said, but my lunch period is about to expire so I have to be brief. All who sin deserve death, since the wages of sin is death (Ro 6:23). So in one sense, you are correct that all who break God's laws deserve execution. As has been pointed out by others in this thread, we are living in secular societies with secular governments under the New Testament guidelines, and we are not called to enforce the Old Testament penalties today. Actually, I think this is a very good thing and I thank God that we live in this time when the gospel is going out to all nations. And I thank God that my sins, which are many, are covered by the blood of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Without his mighty saving work, I would still be standing under the wrath of God.

• Like 3

There is much that could be said, but my lunch period is about to expire so I have to be brief. All who sin deserve death, since the wages of sin is death (Ro 6:23). So in one sense, you are correct that all who break God's laws deserve execution. As has been pointed out by others in this thread, we are living in secular societies with secular governments under the New Testament guidelines, and we are not called to enforce the Old Testament penalties today. Actually, I think this is a very good thing and I thank God that we live in this time when the gospel is going out to all nations. And I thank God that my sins, which are many, are covered by the blood of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Without his mighty saving work, I would still be standing under the wrath of God.

You believe we live in a secular society? I don't agree.. Remove a one religion and it is replaced by another, whether that be the religion of atheism or secular humanism. The US never has been a "secular society."

All belief systems are faith-based and all belief systems strive for dominance.

Hi @Kingdom Citizen, I think you may have misunderstood what I meant. In most western societies today, the governments are not based on some religious structure, enforcing the beliefs of a church structure. This was different some time ago, when the church and state were united in some way, and people were expected to hold and obey the state religion. Today in the U.S., although our government structure may have once been based on Judeo-Christian ideals, the power to enforce religious views has been taken from the church. That was what I meant to say.

Hi @Kingdom Citizen, I think you may have misunderstood what I meant. In most western societies today, the governments are not based on some religious structure, enforcing the beliefs of a church structure. This was different some time ago, when the church and state were united in some way, and people were expected to hold and obey the state religion. Today in the U.S., although our government structure may have once been based on Judeo-Christian ideals, the power to enforce religious views has been taken from the church. That was what I meant to say.

Ok. Sorry.

I see that all worldviews are religious in the sense that every belief system serves a god (including atheism), claims the seemingly impossible has been made possible, and operates in fatih. I believe Secular Humanism has even been granted religious status by a federal court. Even atheism makes supernatural claims, although they do not like to admit that of course. Considering a state religion, the religion of secular humanism and atheism is in fact attempting to take over government. Consequently, laws are put into effect to enforce that new state religion. When a high court forces a business owner to provide a product, such as a gay wedding cake, or enforces the teaching of the myth of darwinian evolution, that is the enforcement of a tenet of a religious worldview based on atheistic humanism.

If it is not the christian worldview being imposed on society, it will simply be another worldview imposed on society. Christians must decide what worldview they will promote and support for dominance. We must not allow atheists to claim that the absence of the enforcement of traditional religious views equates to neutral governance. There is simply no such thing as a neutral government (or secularism) in terms of beliefs systems.

• Like 2

There is simply no such thing as a neutral government (or secularism) in terms of beliefs systems.

Agreed.

• Like 1