The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Placable37

Every Christian Has Charis

According to the Bible, every Christian has charis, the grace, favour, and giftings of God, and yet there is a strong perception that not all Christians are so called "charismatic".

From Chapter 6 of "Through The Looking Glass" by Lewis Carroll:

"When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master— that's all."

Every Christian Has Charis, particularly the favour of God as defined below according to New Testament usage of the original Greek word which translates to these 4 meanings:

Grace: - that which affords joy, pleasure, delight, sweetness, charm, loveliness: grace of speech.

Good will: - loving-kindness, favour of the merciful kindness by which God, exerting his holy influence upon souls, turns them to Christ, keeps, strengthens, increases them in Christian faith, knowledge, affection, and kindles them to the exercise of the Christian virtues.

What is due to grace:

1. The spiritual condition of one governed by the power of divine grace.

2. The token or proof of grace, benefit.

a. A gift of grace.

b. Benefit, bounty.

Thanks: - (for benefits, services, favours), recompense, reward.

Strongs Definition:

χάρις cháris, khar'-ece; from G5463;

graciousness (as gratifying), of manner or act (abstract or concrete; literal, figurative or spiritual; especially the divine influence upon the heart, and its reflection in the life; including gratitude):—acceptable, benefit, favour, gift, grace(- ious), joy, liberality, pleasure, thank(-s, -worthy).

We are looking at a word that appears 156 times in 147 verses between these two references in the New Testament (NKJV):

(Luk 1:30) Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor (charis) with God.

(Rev 22:21) The grace (charis) of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.

If we really are saved then we have this charis bestowed on us, made available to us through our faith.

(Eph 2:8) For by grace (charis) you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,

It is therefore my conclusion that the tag "non-charismatic Christian" is an oxymoron*, and the tag "charismatic Christian" is a tautology*.

Oxymoron:
a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction.

Tautology:
the saying of the same thing twice over in different words, generally considered to be a fault of style.

However, I'm resigned to the fact that like Humpty Dumpty, all and sundry will use words to mean what they want them to mean. :RpS_mellow:

Enjoyed your post, however, like you mentioned words take upon other meanings. For example, a lot of people reject the Nicene Creed because of the use of catholic which means universal. They reject the creed because of the "catholic" misconception, they believe it refers to the Roman Catholic church. Likewise, the word Charismatic can refer to a controversial "movement": https://www.gotquestions.org/Charismatic-movement.html

God bless,

William

I'm with you there, William.

To many in my neck of the woods, in connection with Christianity the word "charismatic" has come to mean both "deception" and "delusion". While I uphold the authentic operation of divine gifts I cannot settle for the fake stuff, like Kundalini as reported by Andrew Strom here: