The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Placable37

To Whom It May Concern

Dear ChristForumists,

Grace be to you, and peace from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.

I am new to ChristForums but not to the body of Christ.

I believe that Christians should regularly gather in simple fellowship for mutual exhortation and edification, and prefer this over passive pew-sitting and impersonal program-shackling in artificial environments of superficial relationships.

May the word of Christ dwell in us richly in all wisdom; so that we can be teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in our hearts to the Lord.

• Like 2

Welcome to Christforums, Placable.

I notice you did not select a "denomination" of choice from the registration page. Do you belong to a church?

Please read our moderation announcements: https://www.christforums.org/article...-announcements

Online activity here is not meant to replace church fellowship or corporate worship.

God bless,

William

Hi William,

For the purposes of this forum like many others I am showing Christian as the denomination. Not sure why this is queried but willing to co-operate.

I meet regularly with members of the body of Christ for simple fellowship in accordance with the Scriptures, particularly Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Why the need to identify with a denomination? What denomination was Christ? John? Peter? Paul?

If we must label ourselves we are the Aberdeen Drive Ekklesia when we meet at Aberdeen Drive, the Egmont Street Ekklesia when we are invited there, the Ohaupo Road Ekklesia when that's where we agree to meet.

Have you ever noticed that many of the epistles are addressed to the ekklesia in a particular location?

It isn't a requirement but an inquiry because I am the site's admin and can input new church denominations if someone does not see it listed.

As the site admin and someone that has been doing this for some 10+ years it's my observation that those who actually choose "christian" rather than a particular denomination generally do not attend a local church. I must admit, that's why I found it a little intriguing. And that is why I asked.

God bless,

William

Thanks for your reply, William. Wow. 10 years. I did read quite a few of the threads before registering and picked up on your moderating. Congratulations on keeping the edifying discussions alive.

• Like 1

Welcome. I by have no objection to a congergation meeting in a living room or a resutuant or at the park or wherever. Sincerity and biblicaly consistent conduct and practices don't rely on the place of meeting. Denominations are descriptions of what we believe, I'm called a Presbyterian because my church is governed by presbyters (elders) as seen as the operation of the church body in Scripture, along with all the doctrines and confessions of Presbyterians.

More or less, non denominational Christians fit in some denomination but have a few points where they don't fit in with that denomination, or the preacher has a bad reputation or is a con man.

Edited by Innerfire89
  • Like 1

Welcome. I by have no objection to a congergation meeting in a living room or a resutuant or at the park or wherever. Sincerity and biblicaly consistent conduct and practices don't rely on the place of meeting. Denominations are descriptions of what we believe, I'm called a Presbyterian because my church is governed by presbyters (elders) as seen as the operation of the church body in Scripture, along with all the doctrines and confessions of Presbyterians.

More or less, non denominational Christians fit in some denomination but have a few points where they don't fit in with that denomination, or the preacher has a bad reputation or is a con man.

Hi Innerfire,

I'm glad you have no objection to "the called out one's" assembling in homes; if you did I would direct you to many references in the New Testament where the ekklesia (called out one's) met in homes and by mutual exhortation edified one another, something precious, sometimes called the ministry of all believers in deference to a hierarchical structure, and in protest against the most unscriptural concept of a clergy class.