The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Just Mike

Football players disrespecting our Flag

I will say it right of the bat I don't like Football. I have a bias, so as you read this post you will know that adding to my distaste for Football the players who refused to stand and face our Flag, salute and respectfully listen to the National Anthem has turned me totally against the game and especially the highly over paid players.

Let me say its not a First Amendment right to disrespect our Flag when its a part of the way all Football Games are player. Most of the majority of the paid players Black and get millions of dollars for playing. These men set an example for not only Black children, young men who are seeking examples of what a real black man can be and do. For sure only a small number of men and boys will ever make it to be paid players, but they are being an example for those who idolize Football and the men who play.

The players who kneel or stand arm in arm are showing the way to show to demonstrate for some worthy cause is to show disrespect to our country. Rather than making a clear message of protest in a way that is clear and can be fully understood, the player kneel or stand arm in arm in silence. What does that say? This is a disrespectful ugly to make any statement! If these protesting players each just put in 3% of a months pay together they could buy a lot of television time to get thir the worthy protest so we could fully understand what they are doing in silence.

Many men and women have served our country, some were drafted, some went because they felt they owed it to our country all served faithfully. Some gave their all and died for their service, many more became wounded, some became permanently disabled for the rest of their life. Don't all these men and women deserve respect enough to be shown by standing and saluting the Flag and showing respect during the National Anthem? I am so offended by these disrespectful players! I am one of many who were totally one hundred percent Service Connected Disabled for the rest of my life for serving my country! I believe my opinion counts more than those players who kneel or stand arm in arm, some who never served one minuet in any of the Nations Services. Am I upset? You bet I am!

As a Christian I see disrespect all over our World and our Country. For me this is more evidence that the coming of Jesus is drawing closer. Violence in every State of our Country is a daily headline. Murder, beatings, police killings, Churches can no longer assume their Worship places are safe from evil happening. Our World is full of violence and that was a reason God flooded the Earth. In our prayers we must pray for protection from evil and harm.

I hope before you blast me away you reread my post and understand its not hate I am saying, but hurt deep within my heart for the disrespect for the Country I have given all I had, and still do each and everyday for the rest of my life.

justme.

• Like 2

I personally like how Goshen College (a small Mennonite college in Indiana) has dealt with the national anthem.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/post-tribune/opinion/ct-ptb-rutter-goshen-st-0918-20160915-story,amp.html

• Like 1

I find it very disrespectful as well and the message is unclear. I like the game of football but the disrespect and political statements, need to go.

• Like 2

I guess they don't want the freedoms that come with being an American. They should play football in Afghanistan.

• Like 2

I guess they don't want the freedoms that come with being an American. They should play football in Afghanistan.

The Afghan Warlords vs. the Somali Pirates; Monday Night Football.

• Like 2

Have any of you been followed in your car by police because you drove a nice car in a rich neighborhood? Have you been stopped by police because your nose was wide? Have you been shot because you have a permit to carry a gun and you tell the police officer as a courtesy? Have you felt the injustice of following every law and yet being suspected of being a criminal because of the skin color God gave you and your choice of wearing a hooded sweatshirt? How many of your friends would need to be killed before you called for justice?

Have any of you been followed in your car by police because you drove a nice car in a rich neighborhood? Have you been stopped by police because your nose was wide? Have you been shot because you have a permit to carry a gun and you tell the police officer as a courtesy? Have you felt the injustice of following every law and yet being suspected of being a criminal because of the skin color God gave you and your choice of wearing a hooded sweatshirt? How many of your friends would need to be killed before you called for justice?

Do you know the color of my heart? Yes i have been pulled over by the police and treated very rudely and unfair. Yes I have been robbed and threatened because of my color. I was in on a subway and two guys robbed me took my radio and threatened to beat me if I moved. I got off the sub way and a Policeman picked me up and told me I was coming close to being killed in that part of town as it was totally a black neighborhood. As a white man I had no business being there. The police man was black, thank God for him. Anyone who is not color blind in treating other people is not being as Christ taught us to be. I have had a number of men friends that were so wonderful that I have dearly loved, that were a different shade of skin from me.Jesus was not a white person to many peoples surprise.

I have been shot at, but not on purpose, a guy was target shooting at a hill, that I was fishing behind, the bullets were zinging by.

What you say is well and good, but the football players must make their case open and fully understandable for all people to understand their protest of injustice, not protesting during the Flag salute or the National Anthem. I am a thousand percent solid on this. Peace.

justme

• Like 2

There is definite injustice in this country but there is a time and place and ways to protest. Kneeling during an NFL game during our nation's anthem is not a good way to do it in my opinion. It is a disrespect to our own flag and country, as jacked up as it may be.

• Like 4

There is definite injustice in this country but there is a time and place and ways to protest. Kneeling during an NFL game during our nation's anthem is not a good way to do it in my opinion. It is a disrespect to our own flag and country, as jacked up as it may be.

People complained about black men sitting at the Montgomery Ward stools. Inconvenience is a part of a good protest.

People complained about black men sitting at the Montgomery Ward stools. Inconvenience is a part of a good protest.

I just don't like the kneeling during our nation's anthem which is disrespectful to our own country. It is not a good way to protest in my opinion.

• Like 1

I just don't like the kneeling during our nation's anthem which is disrespectful to our own country. It is not a good way to protest in my opinion.

Betcha the majority of those protesting the Star Spangled Banner do not even know when it was written. It has nothing to do with racism. In actuality, both whites and blacks fought for our freedom and continue to fight for freedom. More blacks enlisted in the Revolutionary War then whites because it guaranteed them freedom. A freedom not given them even in Africa when one warring tribe conquered another and sold the defeated tribe off to slave traders.

If people truly want to protest injustice, slavery, and oppression, they ought to protest the Democratic party! That is, the actual party instigating racial tensions and division.

O say can you see, by the dawn's early light,

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,

Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;

O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,

Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,

What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,

As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,

In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:

'Tis the star-spangled banner, O long may it wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore

That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,

A home and a country, should leave us no more?

Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand

Between their loved homes and the war's desolation.

Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land

Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.'

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

• Like 5

I think it shows respect for the thousands who have died struggling for justice and equality in this country while white America has turned a blind eye. Many, many people of color have fought and died for the right to be treated equally. That is the symbolism of the players who are kneeling. They look at their flag and they know society can do better.

Betcha the majority of those protesting the Star Spangled Banner do not even know when it was written. It has nothing to do with racism. In actuality, both whites and blacks fought for our freedom and continue to fight for freedom. More blacks enlisted in the Revolutionary War then whites because it guaranteed them freedom. A freedom not given them even in Africa when one warring tribe conquered another and sold the defeated tribe off to slave traders.

If people truly want to protest injustice, slavery, and oppression, they ought to protest the Democratic party! That is, the actual party instigating racial tensions and division.

O say can you see, by the dawn's early light,

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,

Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?

And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;

O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep,

Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,

What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,

As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?

Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,

In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:

'Tis the star-spangled banner, O long may it wave

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore

That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,

A home and a country, should leave us no more?

Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.

No refuge could save the hireling and slave

From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:

And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand

Between their loved homes and the war's desolation.

Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land

Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,

And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.'

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Did you see my post about Goshen College, a Christian Mennonite school that does not play the national anthem because it promotes warfare. As a pacifist school the song goes contrary to the ideals they believe the Bible promotes, specifically Matthew 5 & 6.

The way some white and other colors of people have treated Black people is disgraceful, I totally agree. However those coming from Asia have had it just as bad maybe worse. I have hears and read both sides of the issue and it seems the way we look at the demographics that too says volumes as to why Black people are treated unfairly. I do not want of offend anyone, but facts are facts. Blacks kill more police than any other race, there are more blacks unemployed as a group which accounts for more Blacks receiving more public assistance. I won' go any further as it might not be understood the way I intend it to be.

I totally agree Black people do have a reason and a justified reason to protest. But Black's need to do it where they get respectful attention where it gets the best attention in a good way so people of other colors get a clear message that will be seen as being wide spread not just by a few football players.

I have learned people do not change quickly, except for a fire, earthquake, and war. From 1864 to now present day the black race can see improvement, but its been way too slow! To be frank and honest the football players way of protesting may well have worked against their protesting as it has made people mad. The way the football players protested has made me sick.

Destroying personal property, burning, looting, throwing things at businesses braking the windows, burning buildings, turning over cars both public and personal vehicles, demandin rights has worked against the Black peoples causes and protest. This makes not only me scared to go near black people and where a large group of them are.

The only hope for any race of people is the Lord Jesus Christ, getting into the hearts and souls of men and women, boys and girls. There is NO HOPE for change unless those who have chosen to Follow Jesus Christ to share the Good News that they do no longer have to live the way they now are.

Justme

• Like 1

Do you know the color of my heart? Yes i have been pulled over by the police and treated very rudely and unfair. Yes I have been robbed and threatened because of my color. I was in on a subway and two guys robbed me took my radio and threatened to beat me if I moved. I got off the sub way and a Policeman picked me up and told me I was coming close to being killed in that part of town as it was totally a black neighborhood. As a white man I had no business being there. The police man was black, thank God for him. Anyone who is not color blind in treating other people is not being as Christ taught us to be. I have had a number of men friends that were so wonderful that I have dearly loved, that were a different shade of skin from me.Jesus was not a white person to many peoples surprise.

I have been shot at, but not on purpose, a guy was target shooting at a hill, that I was fishing behind, the bullets were zinging by.

What you say is well and good, but the football players must make their case open and fully understandable for all people to understand their protest of injustice, not protesting during the Flag salute or the National Anthem. I am a thousand percent solid on this. Peace.

justme

Was spit on the first day of school in the first grade and called a chink. Was entered in a martial arts school later that evening where I continued until my twenties. I was stabbed in the 6th grade while being called a gook. In the military outside of base I was shot at and my black friend was hit by a bullet that went through his neck because we were with girls of white ethnicity. I grew up as a minority and was continually pulled over by police.

That American flag does not stand for those things that happened to me. It is quite clear by what it stands for as writ in the Declaration of Independence and Constitution.

What we have happening is people projecting their own hate upon an object and then attacking it. That's the way the Democrats operate. The natural man always feels oppressed whether by the laws of men or by God. That is the nature of the unrighteous. Men feel hateful, and then you have party that whispers in their ear that they are justified in feeling the way they do. Just support us. And there you go, that's the democrat base. The democrats feed off of racial tensions and divisions, and they'll be sure to throw fuel on the fire whenever the opportunity arises. Instead of burning crosses today with fire, they burn by their ideology in the same minorities they oppressed in slavery and Jim Crow laws.

The Democrats want to destroy reminders of their past and pull down statues or anything that reminds people of what they did. Only they pin the tail of the donkey on the elephant and people are stupid enough to fall for it.

God bless,

William

• Like 5

I think it shows respect for the thousands who have died struggling for justice and equality in this country while white America has turned a blind eye. Many, many people of color have fought and died for the right to be treated equally. That is the symbolism of the players who are kneeling. They look at their flag and they know society can do better.

There is also oppression of white people and others in this country (https://fightgangstalking.com/what-is-gang-stalking/). Disrespecting our flag is never the right way to protest. I am also totally against burning of the flag.

• Like 3

Did you see my post about Goshen College, a Christian Mennonite school that does not play the national anthem because it promotes warfare. As a pacifist school the song goes contrary to the ideals they believe the Bible promotes, specifically Matthew 5 & 6.

There is such thing as just war in the Lord's eyes. The Revolutionary War in my opinion meet the criteria for a just war.

• Like 3

There is such thing as just war in the Lord's eyes. The Revolutionary War in my opinion meet the criteria for a just war.

Shepherds carried a rod and staff. Some ignore what the rod is used for.

God bless,

William

• Like 3

Shepherds carried a rod and staff. Some ignore what the rod is used for.

God bless,

William

Exactly.

• Like 2

William thank you for sharing that, you went through a terrible amount of mistreatment and pain, both physical and emotional. Your spiritual development is amazing to say the least. My heart really goes out to you. Your life journey in becoming a Follower of Jesus Christ must be a blessing for others to know. I truly respect you and your ministry here, and I am learning to love you like a brother. God's love shown by sending Jesus Christ to save us is so awesome and the stories we each of us have to tell how about how we were saved is sometimes nothing short of a fantastically awesome. Saved by the Grace Jesus Christ taking upon Himself my every sin is sometimes too hard to believe. Thank you Jesus.

justme

• Like 3

Thank you brother. And thank you for your encouragement.

Just a minor correction. Maybe I'm in denial. But I do not consider this website my ministry. I'm just providing a place where we can come together to discuss our faith and encourage others in it. I removed "Admin" from my title because I think people were placing too much emphasis on what I say. People tend to look at me and gauge the whole board based on what I believe. If this board is a ministry then your voice is just as equal as mine, therefore, it is just as much your ministry.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

There is an older book called "A Shepard Looks at the 23 Psalm" I highly suggest this book. I found it to help me better understand what the 23 psalm really was saying, and what a Shepard really does for his sheep. Find it, read it, and tell me what you think. you will be so blessed.

justme

• Like 2

This is my point. Some people are mistaking the Revolutionary War with the Civil Rights Movement.

FACT: All the notorious villains of the civil rights era—such as Arkansas Governor Orval Faubus and Sheriff Bull Connor—were Democrats.

Democrats.jpg.617ff3bdc8f391d0b08695404c742f1e.jpg

People today would have us believe it was the Republicans that were behind these acts. No doubt injustice was committed, however, it is unjust to bear false witness. And we need to learn to forgive and not be veiled or trapped in a hateful mindset. Hate suppresses a man.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Thank you brother. And thank you for your encouragement.

Just a minor correction. Maybe I'm in denial. But I do not consider this website my ministry. I'm just providing a place where we can come together to discuss our faith and encourage others in it. I removed "Admin" from my title because I think people were placing too much emphasis on what I say. People tend to look at me and gauge the whole board based on what I believe. If this board is a ministry then your voice is just as equal as mine, therefore, it is just as much your ministry.

God bless,

William

Your humbleness is unusual, and highly to be valued. Do not discount that this is a ministry. You will only know when you look face to face with the master just value you were to Him. God bless you william.

justme

• Like 2

There is also oppression of white people and others in this country (https://fightgangstalking.com/what-is-gang-stalking/ ). Disrespecting our flag is never the right way to protest. I am also totally against burning of the flag.

Again, the protest is not about the flag. That argument is being created by white people who are desperately trying to avoid looking at the injustice black men face in the United States. If you and I would work to end this injustice, no one would be protesting. You want this to end? Start by working to end the profiling of black men in the U.S. The real tragedy is that whites won't get off their barka loungers and fight for justice. Instead they create a red herring pout about the flag. Honestly, it's time for white America to grow up.