The Protestant Community

Are you Protestant? Or, are you sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. Register in less than a minute, it is simple, fast, and free! We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism. Those who would challenge the peace and harmony that we enjoy here as fellow believers are directed to another forum.

Enjoy your fellowship

In order to understand the importance of Christian fellowship, we must first understand what Christian fellowship is and what it isn’t. The Greek words translated “fellowship” in the New Testament mean essentially a partnership to the mutual benefit of those involved. Christian fellowship, then, is the mutually beneficial relationship between Christians, who can’t have the identical relationship with those outside the faith. Those who believe the gospel are united in the Spirit through Christ to the Father, and that unity is the basis of fellowship. This relationship is described by Jesus in His high-priestly prayer for His followers in John 17:23. The importance of true Christian fellowship is that it reinforces Christ centeredness in our mind and helps us to focus on Christ and His desires and goals for us. As iron sharpens iron, in true Christian fellowship Christians sharpen one another's faith and stir one another to exercise that faith in love and good works, all to God’s glory.
thatbrian

Same-Sex Attraction is Sinful

Some otherwise conservative Christians are beginning to take a compromising stance on homosexuality. They claim that only homosexual behavior is sinful and that same sex attraction (SSA) is a “sign of brokenness” similar to feelings of grief or sadness, or as
put it, that having SSA is being “born in a broken condition… that does not represent flourishing” similar to being born blind. They claim it is a negative result of the Fall, but not inherently sinful. So their advice for Christians who are same sex attracted is to remain celibate and that their SSA is not sinful and doesn’t need to be repented of.

One pastoral candidate was asked if he believed that “his homosexual feelings, attractions, thoughts, and desires are sinful.” To which he answered: “I believe my same-sex attractions are broken, but I do not believe they are sinful. It is not a sin for me to be attracted to another man, in the same way it is not sinful for you to be attracted to a woman.” [1]

• Like 3

The article quoted in the OP asserts, as I do, that same=sex attraction, even in celebrate people, is in fact sinful. Many Christians will say that homosexual desire if not physically acted on, is not sinful; however, the desire for evil is in fact evil. Is the desire of a man to have sexual relations with a child not sinful unless acted on? Do we tell people that pedophilia is acceptable or normal if not acted on??? I hope not, os we likewise can't tell people that homosexual desire is Ok unless acted on.

• Like 2

[h=3]James 1:14-15 ESV[/h] But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death

Isn't is true that Jesus Christ was tempted by satan -- but He resisted satan by quoting Scripture back to him and tell him to get away? And we know that Jesus Christ was Not sinning by being tempted.

• Like 1

Some otherwise conservative Christians are beginning to take a compromising stance on homosexuality. They claim that only homosexual behavior is sinful and that same sex attraction (SSA) is a “sign of brokenness” similar to feelings of grief or sadness, or as
put it, that having SSA is being “born in a broken condition… that does not represent flourishing” similar to being born blind. They claim it is a negative result of the Fall, but not inherently sinful. So their advice for Christians who are same sex attracted is to remain celibate and that their SSA is not sinful and doesn’t need to be repented of.

One pastoral candidate was asked if he believed that “his homosexual feelings, attractions, thoughts, and desires are sinful.” To which he answered: “I believe my same-sex attractions are broken, but I do not believe they are sinful. It is not a sin for me to be attracted to another man, in the same way it is not sinful for you to be attracted to a woman.” [1]

Very nice article.

Isn't is true that Jesus Christ was tempted by satan -- but He resisted satan by quoting Scripture back to him and tell him to get away? And we know that Jesus Christ was Not sinning by being tempted.

Sue, your question was answered the OP's article.

God bless,

William

Same sex desire is a temptation to sin. The fact that some people experience such desires is one of the effects of our sinful natures. Being tempted is not a sin. Yielding to temptation is.

• Like 1

Same sex desire is a temptation to sin. The fact that some people experience such desires is one of the effects of our sinful natures. Being tempted is not a sin. Yielding to temptation is.

That rules out all my sins. I am not a sinner by that standard.

God bless,

William

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

I do not act out any sinful desire or thought.

And I was being sarcastic. I believe the physical act of sin is twice as sinful. We sin first in thought and then again when we carry out the act.

I have an inclination to sin, drink, do drugs, commit adultery, but by your standard as long as I do not act upon the desire or thought I have not sinned nor need repentance.

God bless,

William

I do not act out any sinful desire or thought.

And I was being sarcastic. I believe the physical act of sin is twice as sinful. We sin first in thought and then again when we carry out the act.

I have an inclination to sin, drink, do drugs, commit adultery, but by your standard as long as I do not act upon the desire or thought I have not sinned nor need repentance.

God bless,

William

Would agree with all Except 'not need repentance' ---- there's a particular 'thing' that I've struggled with for a Long time. Of Course there's a need for repentance.

BTW -- I'd not noticed that my one post got answered in the opening -- just now noticed the article in blue at the bottom of the post.

Would agree with all Except 'not need repentance' ---- there's a particular 'thing' that I've struggled with for a Long time. Of Course there's a need for repentance.

BTW -- I'd not noticed that my one post got answered in the opening -- just now noticed the article in blue at the bottom of the post.

Repentance implies there is sin that needs turning away from.

God bless,

William

Desire for what is perverse is not sin? Is desire for a man to have sexual relations with a child, not sin? Is a man's desire for his neighbor's wife not sin?

An unmarried man can have a pure desire to be married to an unmarried woman, but never could a man, have a pure desire to be with another man, Any such affection or desire, is sinful, and must be repented of, not accepted.

Edited by thatbrian

Jesus taught the even to lust after a woman was adultery. Controlling our thoughts with Gods help we do not have to think sinful, shameful things. James 1:14 says we are tempted by our own desires. In other words sin starts in our thoughts, or we can be dragged away by our own evil desires.

If I think about how much I love my wife and how very much she loves and trusts me, there is no room in my thought to lust after another woman. I keep my life and thoughts pure because I want to be faithful to God and my wife.

IMO as you think, you may become. SSA is sin.

justme

• Like 2

@thatbrian Post #12

It's against the law for a man to have sexual relations with a child. That's an adult man with a child. And that is obviously wrong / sin in so many ways.

Unfortunately that can Also apply to an 18 yr old having sex with a 16 or 17 yr old / a dating couple // if the teenage girl's parents don't like the guy she's dating and they happen to catch them having sex , the guy Can be arrested for statuatory rape. But that's a very different subject.

• Like 1

Desire for what is perverse is not sin? Is desire for a man to have sexual relations with a child, not sin? Is a man's desire for his neighbor's wife not sin?

An unmarried man can have a pure desire to be married to an unmarried woman, but never could a man, have a pure desire to be with another man, Any such affection or desire, is sinful, and must be repented of, not accepted.

A comment was made - not here - but on another forum -- that one of the Ten Commandments states that committing adultery is a 'thou shalt not' but that there's nothing said like that about homosexual actions -- just that it's an abomination to God / it's putrid to Him. And so my thought had been -- why would a Christian /born-again believer want to do something that he/she Knows is putrid to God -- that He calls an abomination. And we are told to Not 'lay with' a woman or man the same way that man and woman Do 'lay together'. It has been suggested that the only way to produce the next generation is through sperm and egg connecting which means a man and woman getting together. Otherwise -- if people Don't want to have children together -- the thought is that it wouldn't really make any difference as long as both people are adults and choose to 'be together'. The thought being that 'loving' another person should be able to be expressed in any way that two consenting adults Want to express it.

But Romans 1 says that God gave people over to their sinful desires. Because God's plan is for generations to continue on through the natural process of men and women having children together. But we Do have satan's counterfeit way of doing things.

And another thought -- a lot of people feel that the world is way over-populated and has been for a while -- so it doesn't really Hurt civilization That much to have same-sex couples get together and Not be producing children together. And there Are couples who've had children and divorced and the Dad's have gotten together with another man and have partial custody of the children and the same happens with the wives -- the wife connects with another woman and They have part custody of the children. So the kids end up going back and forth between the two. Women Can be artifically inseminated and produce a child for the two women. I'm not trying to suggest that these are Okay -- I'm just saying what Society sees as being okay.

The need for repentance Might depend on why / what got the person feeling he / she was homosexual in the first place.

@thatbrian Post #12

It's against the law for a man to have sexual relations with a child. That's an adult man with a child. And that is obviously wrong / sin in so many ways.

Unfortunately that can Also apply to an 18 yr old having sex with a 16 or 17 yr old / a dating couple // if the teenage girl's parents don't like the guy she's dating and they happen to catch them having sex , the guy Can be arrested for statuatory rape. But that's a very different subject.

In every State in our country no one under 18 can get married with the parents or legal guardian signing permission in front of legal authorized personal in that county or city.

There is right now a bill being made that no person under 16 can be marred anywhere in the US, I totally support this, as child marriages have poor outcomes for the child brides. A young girl below the age of 16 is still a child in many ways, and so are boys under 16. Sadly in some Muslim countries child brides under 12 are common. That practice is wicked, and perverted. In some Asian countries very young girls are sold for financial reasons. Those buying these little girls use them in prostitution. I am aware of the American Baptist have programs to help get these girls away from this evil enslavement, and into a caring loving Christian place that loves, cares for them. and protects these special girls. The girls are taught about Jesus and His love for them as well learning skills to earn money for the rest of their lives. How wonderful is this!

justme

• Like 3

Matt. 5:28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Gay thoughts, thoughts about anyone not you're spouse are lust, a part of the sinnful nature. Instead of making excuses they need to give their minds to Christ completely.

• Like 4

The need for repentance Might depend on why / what got the person feeling he / she was homosexual in the first place.

Hi Sue, of the homosexuals I've known, and I know MANY personally (due to the field I went into professionally, music, the size of my family, 5,000+, and those I've talked to since becoming a Christian 30 yrs ago), all have been the targets of some sort of molestation as a child or a teenager (by a priest, schoolteacher, uncle, family friend, etc.) save one (who I knew and talked to online only).

I've known (and have therefore talked to) far fewer homosexual women, but all of them, to date, had a history of distrusting men due to physical and/or emotional abuse at the hands of someone close to them (father, family member, friend, or in a couple of cases, by a rapist who they did not know).

So it seems to me that their history (of physical, mental and/or emotional abuse, the sin that was perpetrated against them), plays a big role in where these "feelings" begin. Sadly, that doesn't excuse their present sinful behavior before God, or their lack of trust in Him, but it does help explain it.

Yours and His,

David

• Like 3

Hi Sue, of the homosexuals I've known, and I know MANY personally (due to the field I went into professionally, music, the size of my family, 5,000+, and those I've talked to since becoming a Christian 30 yrs ago), all have been the targets of some sort of molestation as a child or a teenager (by a priest, schoolteacher, uncle, family friend, etc.) save one (who I knew and talked to online only).

I've known (and have therefore talked to) far fewer homosexual women, but all of them, to date, had a history of distrusting men due to physical and/or emotional abuse at the hands of someone close to them (father, family member, friend, or in a couple of cases, by a rapist who they did not know).

So it seems to me that their history of physical, mental and/or emotional abuse (the sin that was perpetrated against them), played a big role in where these "feelings" began. Sadly, that doesn't excuse their present sinful behavior before God, or their lack of trust in Him, but it does help explain it, at least in part.

Yours and His,

David

Yes it Does help explain the source of their behavior -- good Biblical counseling Can help them get through that. "The Search for Significense' is a great book to read. Who we are In Christ.

• Like 2

Hi again Sue, I should also add that majority of the homosexual men/women who I've talked to over the years have been "Boomers" or "Gen-Xers", so the "why" behind the "feeling" you were referring above may have changed slightly for some of our Millennials. For Millennials, who were born and raised in a world where the "Gay Agenda" (which is, in a nutshell, the effort to see the homosexual lifestyle both advanced and normalized/mainstreamed/fully accepted by society in general) had begun to take hold, the choice to at least consider being gay/bisexual as a possibility (due to peer and societal pressure) may also be behind some of it now (I remember being told by my music minister's 14 yr old son back in the 90's that considering having a "gay" relationship in school was part of being "cool").

At any rate, it still begins and is perpetuated by someone's sinful choice(s) to act in outright rebellion against God.

--David

Edited by David Lee

Hi again Sue, I should also add that majority of the homosexual men/women who I've talked to over the years have been "Boomers" or "Gen-Xers", so the "why" behind the "feeling" you were referring above may have changed slightly for some of our Millennials. For Millennials, who were born and raised in a world where the "Gay Agenda" (which is, in a nutshell, the effort to see the homosexual lifestyle both advanced and normalized/mainstreamed/fully accepted by society in general) had begun to take hold, the choice to at least consider being gay/bisexual as a possibility (due to peer and societal pressure) may also be behind some of it now (I remember being told by my music minister's 14 yr old son back in the 90's that considering having a "gay" relationship in school was part of being "cool").

At any rate, it still begins and is perpetuated by someone's sinful choice(s) to act in rebellion against God.

--David

I'll have to admit that the term "Gen-Xer'" is lost to me. Am familiar with Boomer's though. But as a conservative late 60's er, I don't know what group I fit in with. Some years ago I got interested in Doctrinal Apologetics which , somehow, led me to the world of Forums --my first experience there was with YaHoo Answers. Lots of catagories listed to ask / answer questions. A poster received 2 pts for each answer submitted. And 10 points for someone picking 'your' answer as the Best Answer. I'd be answering questians in the Society / Culture group. Came across Lots of young people and some adults who would question "he / she is doing or saying 'such and such' -- does that mean he/she is gay or bi" So - ya - it seemed - back Then - to be a status symbol -- seemed that being 'straight' was no big deal. Being 'bi' seemed to be the most popular. But the kids or people in employment would be So concerned about a look or comment. -- I wondered how / when they took time to study / do their work. I would encourage them to learn what Friendship is / learn How to be a 'simple' Friend. Cause if a person doesn't have Friendship, they have nothing.

There were 7 or 8 levels and I'd gotten up to level 6 or so. But that was back years ago.

There's a lady that I've reconnected with on FB -- she's one of apparently many Christian people who believe that homosexuals Should be accepted and loved by fellow Christians because they aren't really doing anything wrong. She sees that Scripture supports homosexuality -- based on the close relationship between David and Jonathon in the Old Testament. And it's assumed that a really close relationship / soul-mates is going to include a sexual relationship. The Christian community wants a Scriptural excuse to accept the homosexual relationship as being okay. But -- Scripture Does say that it's an abomination to God. It's putrid to God. So Why would a believer Want to do something they Know is putrid to God. Being willing to say No to another person who Wants to include sex in a relationship is really Showing love.

There is never a justification for showing hatred to a homosexual person / couple. Sometimes they will go to church simply to see how people react towards them. Treat them / him / her like anyone else. Everyone needs salvation and spiritual growth / nourishment.

Being 'cool' in school is so very important to young people.

All sin is for given the same way. God has given His all to reach person with His love. Romans chapter one says we are without excuse. There is no excuse for continuing to live in sinful filth. How often I heard "I was born this way", "God loves me just the way I am" and other things. This issue of why and how one became involved with sexual sin has so many answers. The one I feel deep compassion for are those who were molested as young girls and boys. God is going to severally punish those who molested these kids.

The issue to keep in mind is someone involved these homosexual people into ths perverted way of expressing unnatural sexual relationships. In turn these people looked for other's to molested, the cycle goes on and on. This too is one of Satan's traps,.so is pornography, adultery, sex before marriage, Sex is one area satan knows how to tempt us all.

justme

• Like 2

The problem of the sin of homosexuality is deeply concerning to me. We are all sinners. That's pretty clear. Even if there exists a human being who no longer commits sin because he now truly and completely lives for Christ, that was not always the case. We have all sinned. We call ourselves sinners, or former sinners (if such a person should exist), because we have all sinned. We commit sin. We do that which we ought not do, things that God commands us not to do, or we don't do the things that God commands us to do. Indeed, sin is a transgression of the law of God. When we sin, it is a matter of what we do. We are not the transgression, we commit the transgression.

Although we may not like to admit this ourselves, but the homosexual readily argues that his homosexuality is not a choice. It is not a behavior, but actually an actual component of their very being. They were born homosexual. They do not have a choice in the matter, and so we ought to accept them. They have removed their choice.

How can you repent from sin if the sin is a physical component of you very existence? How can you repent from the act of committing sins when you are the transgression?

The problem of the sin of homosexuality is deeply concerning to me. We are all sinners. That's pretty clear. Even if there exists a human being who no longer commits sin because he now truly and completely lives for Christ, that was not always the case. We have all sinned. We call ourselves sinners, or former sinners (if such a person should exist), because we have all sinned. We commit sin. We do that which we ought not do, things that God commands us not to do, or we don't do the things that God commands us to do. Indeed, sin is a transgression of the law of God. When we sin, it is a matter of what we do. We are not the transgression, we commit the transgression.

Although we may not like to admit this ourselves, but the homosexual readily argues that his homosexuality is not a choice. It is not a behavior, but actually an actual component of their very being. They were born homosexual. They do not have a choice in the matter, and so we ought to accept them. They have removed their choice.

How can you repent from sin if the sin is a physical component of you very existence? How can you repent from the act of committing sins when you are the transgression?

There's no evidence to support their claim that they are born homosexual. But lets say they are born that way, what if pedophiles were born that way? What if serial killers were born that way? They're still acting out the sinful nature, weither they were born into that particular sin or not.

Theres a line to just how much a born again Christian will sin. And we can look at how sinful a person is to judge if they are genuine born again Christian, or if they are a real or false teacher. They are know by their fruits and obedience to Christ. 1 Corinthians 9-11, 1 John 3:28-29, and Galatians 5:19-26.

• Like 1