The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
Bliss

What do you look for in a bible?

What do you look for when buying a bible?, what is your preferences..

Do you go for a few cheaper versions of the bible or do you like to get one quality goatskin or leather bible?...

Is there a preferred font size you go for, a certain colour/pattern or material, is red letter important to you?.. single/double column, paragraphs, matching lines etc etc.

I like the quality large font Bibles to keep just one at home (brown or black leather). Aside from that my other Bibles are just the less expensive type.

Since I do most of my reading on a screen these days, I tend to look for pretty pictures and a good graphic novel format for printed bibles. :RpS_w00t:

• Like 2

I'm in the process of of simply writing my own New Testament.

Like the Book of Mormon? :RpS_blink: :RpS_smile:

• Like 1

Oh gosh, I hope not.

Oh don't you worry yourself atpollard. It is nothing like that.

For many years I have used both the KJV and NASB. When I read one I miss the other. I constantly say to myself, "Ya know, the ____ reads better or is clearer in meaning than __ in this passage."

So what I have been doing is going through each passage of each book with my KJV and NASB and writing out each passage based on what they say. Sometimes I will have the KJV while I think slightly more times I will have the NASB. Oftentimes it is a mix. Some passages that I have memorized from the KJV I simply keep even though it contains words such as "ye". I also chose to stick with the NASB in capitalizing the He/Him/His when it is referring to God. There are quiet a few times I supply a different word than what both versions may happen to use. Also, for "doulos" I always have it read simply "slave" when it reads we are "servants/bond-servants of God (or of Christ)". I cut down on many of the italicized words employed in both versions. I simply kept the Greek words in some instances such as when God the Father or the Lord Jesus is referred to as Despotēs (Strong's #1203) or when the Lord Jesus is referred to as poimēn and episkopos of your souls in 1 Peter 2:25.

In addition to both versions I also refer to the Greek New Testament and the BDAG (3rd Edition). A few times I will go to biblegateway.com and see how many other versions translate the same verse.

• Like 2

It is true that online you can easily see many versions at once and is good for study.. However you must admit you can't beat the good old fashioned book.

I myself have various versions... Most low quality bibles, I do have some half decent leather bibles.. My main choice at the moment is my ESV journal bible.

I am looking to get a high quality goatskin ESV or NASB in a 10/11 font with red lettering and paragraphed. At around £150 it needs to be near perfect for a main Bible but so far I've not seen any that fit the bill.

Oh don't you worry yourself atpollard. It is nothing like that.

For many years I have used both the KJV and NASB. When I read one I miss the other. I constantly say to myself, "Ya know, the ____ reads better or is clearer in meaning than __ in this passage."

So what I have been doing is going through each passage of each book with my KJV and NASB and writing out each passage based on what they say. Sometimes I will have the KJV while I think slightly more times I will have the NASB. Oftentimes it is a mix. Some passages that I have memorized from the KJV I simply keep even though it contains words such as "ye". I also chose to stick with the NASB in capitalizing the He/Him/His when it is referring to God. There are quiet a few times I supply a different word than what both versions may happen to use. Also, for "doulos" I always have it read simply "slave" when it reads we are "servants/bond-servants of God (or of Christ)". I cut down on many of the italicized words employed in both versions. I simply kept the Greek words in some instances such as when God the Father or the Lord Jesus is referred to as Despotēs (Strong's #1203) or when the Lord Jesus is referred to as poimēn and episkopos of your souls in 1 Peter 2:25.

In addition to both versions I also refer to the Greek New Testament and the BDAG (3rd Edition). A few times I will go to biblegateway.com and see how many other versions translate the same verse.

KJV and NASB are the combinations I use as well.

• Like 1

I like to use a NKJV, although I want to transition to the KJV. I like Bibles that aren't filled with a lot of notes. Although if I was to use a study Bible I like the Thompsham Chain.

Bliss; I am at the other end of life that you most likely are. I bout all my many Bibles with not thinking about how small the print was. Now that my eyes have slowly changed its hard to read small print. I had my eye doctor give me a prescription for special reading glasses so I could read the smaller print. It does not help much as the larger print is what helps me now.

I am having eye surgery later this month (Oct. 2017) hopefully this will help too. My point is if at all possible don't buy the smallest print to get a smaller Bible.

justme

You should get a Bible that has cross references. Sometimes you can understand a particular passage better if you know what the Bible says someplace else.

• Like 2

Bliss; I am at the other end of life that you most likely are. I bout all my many Bibles with not thinking about how small the print was. Now that my eyes have slowly changed its hard to read small print. I had my eye doctor give me a prescription for special reading glasses so I could read the smaller print. It does not help much as the larger print is what helps me now.

I am having eye surgery later this month (Oct. 2017) hopefully this will help too. My point is if at all possible don't buy the smallest print to get a smaller Bible.

justme

Funnily enough I have just got back from the opticians a couple hours ago, I pick up my new glasses next week.. I am still young ish but my eyes aren't perfect, I have one bad eye.. That is hard to read anything at all even with glasses.. I'm lucky that my other eye is good..

I purposely avoid small font, a font size 10 is the smallest I'd buy in a book.. Small bibles would look silly on me anyway.. I'm a big guy,

who wants a small Bible anyway.. No need to be discreet about having a Bible on you.

• Like 1

You should get a Bible that has cross references. Sometimes you can understand a particular passage better if you know what the Bible says someplace else.

Having been a Pastor and gone to Seminary i better have more than one Bible right? I have about 30 different Bibles, maybe a few more. the Bible that i have used for a long time and preached out of is the NIV Study Bible 1985. this is the ONLY NIV Bible I would ever suggest anyone to use or buy. I have two Bibles I read and study from the NASB and the Holman Christian Standard Bible now out of print. I often refer to my INTERLINER GREEK ENGLISH NEW TESTAMENT which I use in coordination with the NASB Exhaustive Concordance.

A couple of tools I suggest for added fun in Bible study would be a HARMONY OF THE GOSPELS, in a version you read most, and VINES EXPOSITORY DICTIONARY OF NEW TESTAMENT WORDS. As a person adds to their collection of books that are tools, which we call a LIBRARY, I suggest rather tan buying a set of commentaries, buy each commentary from a author you know or your pastor suggests, for a book of the Bible your Subday School class is in or from what book of the Bible your pastor is preaching from.

Just a few ideas of mine I hope you might enjoy.

justme.

Having been a Pastor and gone to Seminary i better have more than one Bible right? I have about 30 different Bibles, maybe a few more. the Bible that i have used for a long time and preached out of is the NIV Study Bible 1985. this is the ONLY NIV Bible I would ever suggest anyone to use or buy. I have two Bibles I read and study from the NASB and the Holman Christian Standard Bible now out of print. I often refer to my INTERLINER GREEK ENGLISH NEW TESTAMENT which I use in coordination with the NASB Exhaustive Concordance.

A couple of tools I suggest for added fun in Bible study would be a HARMONY OF THE GOSPELS, in a version you read most, and VINES EXPOSITORY DICTIONARY OF NEW TESTAMENT WORDS. As a person adds to their collection of books that are tools, which we call a LIBRARY, I suggest rather tan buying a set of commentaries, buy each commentary from a author you know or your pastor suggests, for a book of the Bible your Subday School class is in or from what book of the Bible your pastor is preaching from.

Just a few ideas of mine I hope you might enjoy.

justme.

I agree with not buying any recent NIV translation, they have gone way off track with the gender issue.. I am sure you know all about it,

I have around 10-12 bibles.. And about 8 or so other Christian books related to fasting, prayer etc etc.. I have more books than I'll ever probably read but if your anything like me it doesn't stop you buying more.

I agree with not buying any recent NIV translation, they have gone way off track with the gender issue.. I am sure you know all about it,

I have around 10-12 bibles.. And about 8 or so other Christian books related to fasting, prayer etc etc.. I have more books than I'll ever probably read but if your anything like me it doesn't stop you buying more.

My bride has gently reminded me a couple of times I bought a bool I already had, so I check first from now on.to make sure, then I go for it. Blessings.

justme