The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Faber

"The man Christ Jesus was not the Lord God Almighty" (Ellen G. White)

This quote by Ellen G. White is found in the SDA Bible Commentary, Volume 5, page 1129. I have personally read it.

Some of her defenders may insist that it is to be understood contra Modalism.[*1] That is, the Lord Jesus is no the Father.

However, it would have been quite easy to write "The man Christ Jesus was not the Father." As it is to affirm that Jesus is "not the Lord God Almighty" is heresy. What kind of prophet would assert such blasphemy?

[*1] The SDA church affirms the Trinity. For an interesting article concerning some of their history about this see here (the link should open):

https://www.adventistbiblicalresearc...ng%20sda_0.pdf

• Like 1

A false prophetess would say that. That is why she and her husband both have Egyptian pagan obelisks on their tombstones. She taught truth mixed with lies. I believe many of the SDA explanations of Biblical prophecies are based on truth but many of their teachings are lies. Ellen White and James White also added to God’s word with many rules which push man away from God. This happened with Judaism in the past as well.

Edited by CDF47

It does not seem to me to be a good idea to follow the so called prophecies of someone who suffered a severe head injury.

It does not seem to me to be a good idea to follow the so called prophecies of someone who suffered a severe head injury.

Some of the Bible prophecies though make a lot of sense when explained by the SDAs. They are broken down and explained very well. Granted, there are parts of them I do not believe in, like the Sunday Law,...

SDAs promote veganism. This reminds me of 1 Timothy 4:1-5 which states, “Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; 3 Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth. 4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.”

Catholic priests have been forbidden to marry since the twelfth century and SDA church commands abstinence from meats since the nineteenth century, thus, making it more difficult to come to Christ.

Some of the prophecies though make a lot of sense. They are broken down and explained very well. Granted, there are parts of them I do not believe in, like the Sunday Law,...
You keep using the word "prophecies" and that implies divine revelation. If these are prophecies (i.e. divine revelation), then all of them must be true. If any part of them fail, it follows they were not prophecies from God.

You keep using the word "prophecies" and that implies divine revelation. If these are prophecies (i.e. divine revelation), then all of them must be true. If any part of them fail, it follows they were not prophecies from God.

Oh no, my bad, that's not what I meant. I do not believe any of her prophecies. I believe many Biblical prophecy explanations which the SDAs provide. I'll edit my posts to make this more clear.

Oh no, my bad, that's not what I meant. I do not believe any of her prophecies.
I understand.

I believe many Biblical prophecy explanations which the SDAs provide.
Does this not open up certain problems? You do not believe any of her prophecies but you at least find some of her teachings sound. I am wondering how can you reconcile the two? If she gave false prophecies, and you admit they were false, then that makes her a false prophet. Since she was a false prophet what justification can be offered for anyone believing or accepting any of her teachings?

I understand.

Does this not open up certain problems? You do not believe any of her prophecies but you at least find some of her teachings sound. I am wondering how can you reconcile the two? If she gave false prophecies, and you admit they were false, then that makes her a false prophet. Since she was a false prophet what justification can be offered for anyone believing or accepting any of her teachings?

Because the absolute best way to deceive is to mix truth with lies. That is how intelligence agencies operate. That is how the Catholic church operates mixing Christ with paganism. I read through a lot of lies to find the truth at times. Sometimes a deceiver will provide 90 percent truth just to deceive with the 10 percent lie. This is used in propaganda all the time.

Because the absolute best way to deceive is to mix truth with lies. That is how intelligence agencies operate. That is how the Catholic church operates mixing Christ with paganism. I read through a lot of lies to find the truth at times. Sometimes a deceiver will provide 90 percent truth just to deceive with the 10 percent lie. This is used in propaganda all the time.
This person claimed to be a prophet but she was a false prophet. Do you really think that a false prophet could really provide sound teaching? Is not God the source of all sound teaching and God does not work through false prophets?

The underlined below is mine.

1. Ellen G. White: We bare positive testimony against tobacco, spirituous liquors, snuff, tea, coffee, flesh meats, butter, spices, rich cakes, mince pies, a large amount of salt, and all exciting substances used as articles of food (Testimonies for the Church, Volume 3, page 21).

Flesh meats: Did the Lord Jesus and His 12 apostles sin by eating the Passover Lamb which is a flesh meat[*1] (Luke 22:11)?

2. Ellen G. White: Cheese should never be introduced into the stomach (Testimonies for the Church, Volume 2, page 68).

Cheese: Did Shobi, Machir and Barzillai commit sin by offering David and the people cheese to eat (2 Samuel 17:29)?

[*1] flesh meat: the meat of birds or of animals other than fish, clams, etc., used as food

http://www.yourdictionary.com/flesh-meat

• Like 1

This person claimed to be a prophet but she was a false prophet. Do you really think that a false prophet could really provide sound teaching? Is not God the source of all sound teaching and God does not work through false prophets?

She was a false prophetess, but remember, the devil comes as an angel of light. He mixes truth with fiction as has been proven with his followers as well (disinformation). I believe she was a wolf in sheep's clothing spreading disinformation (truth mixed with lies). That's what I believe the SDA has done. I believe they explain Biblical prophecies, regarding Daniel and Revelation specifically, very well, aside from a few things I disagree with. This is nothing against the people in the SDA, just Ellen White who I believe is a false prophetess who cunningly lead people off the right path.

The underlined below is mine.

1. Ellen G. White: We bare positive testimony against tobacco, spirituous liquors, snuff, tea, coffee, flesh meats, butter, spices, rich cakes, mince pies, a large amount of salt, and all exciting substances used as articles of food (Testimonies for the Church, Volume 3, page 21).

Flesh meats: Did the Lord Jesus and His 12 apostles sin by eating the Passover Lamb which is a flesh meat[*1] (Luke 22:11)?

2. Ellen G. White: Cheese should never be introduced into the stomach (Testimonies for the Church, Volume 2, page 68).

Cheese: Did Shobi, Machir and Barzillai commit sin by offering David and the people cheese to eat (2 Samuel 17:29)?

[*1] flesh meat: the meat of birds or of animals other than fish, clams, etc., used as food

http://www.yourdictionary.com/flesh-meat

Very good list.

There is a list of other false teachings as well like most of the wine in the Bible is grape juice drank by Jesus, Daniel, and others. They are strong against alcohol and even ice cream is forbidden. Where in Scripture does it state thou shall not eat ice cream?

She was a false prophetess but remember, the devil comes as an angel of light. He mixes truth with fiction as has been proven with his followers as well (disinformation). I believe she was a wolf in sheep's clothing spreading disinformation (truth mixed with lies). That's what I believe the SDA has done. I believe they explain Biblical prophecies, regarding Daniel and Revelation specifically, very well, aside from a few things I disagree on. This is nothing against the people in the SDA or Catholic church, just Ellen White who I believe is a false prophetess who cunningly leads people of the right road.
To each his own. Yet to think that a group who follows a false prophet could add anything worthwhile to the church of Christ that was not contaminated with errors seems impossible. Perhaps the JWs and the Mormons could add good things to the church of Christ as well. All we need to do is over look the errors and false teachings.

To each his own. Yet to think that a group who follows a false prophet could truly add anything to the church of Christ that was not contaminated with errors seems impossible. Perhaps the JWs and the Mormons could add good things to the church of Christ as well and all we need do is over look the errors.

I do not know of anything JWs or Mormons add to the church which is correct but I do feel that some of the Biblical prophetic interpretations by the SDA are true. They point to the RCC as the little horn of Daniel and the first beast of Revelation which I believe are true and very well explained. This is one example. I studied with them and their knowledge of prophecy really draws you in until you realize the false teachings are there as well. I am speaking about this out of experience. Their original Bible studies are impressive and draw you in until they introduce you to Ellen White. This lasted for over 1 1/2 years or so. They did get me out of the RCC which was a good thing and they helped me to quit smoking through prayer and other techniques. My point is they draw you in with truth and then introduce the lies and deceptions. Some of their followers may be willingly doing this and some may just be duped.

Their truths are contaminated with errors which is why it takes prayer, discernment, and research to find those errors. It is a bit unconventional but can be an effective way of learning.

I do not know of anything JWs or Mormons add to the church which is correct but I do feel that some of the Biblical prophetic interpretations by the SDA are true. They point to the RCC as the little horn of Daniel and the first beast of Revelation which I believe are true and very well explained. This is one example. I studied with them and their knowledge of prophecy really draws you in until you realize the false teachings are there as well. I am speaking about this out of experience. Their original Bible studies are impressive and draw you in until they introduce you to Ellen White. This lasted for over 1 1/2 years or so. They did get me out of the RCC which was a good thing and they helped me to quit smoking through prayer and other techniques. My point is they draw you in with truth and then introduce the lies and deceptions. Some of their followers may be willingly doing this and some may just be duped.
If you feel that following the teaching of a group who follow the teaching of a false prophet is a good idea, as I said above, to each his own.

If you feel that following the teaching of a group who follow the teaching of a false prophet is a good idea, as I said above, to each his own.

Just in certain regards being very careful. The only regards are with prophecy interpretations and even then you have to be careful because I do not fully agree with all their interpretations of prophecy.

• Like 1