The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
James Honigman

911 in the HOLY BIBLE

In my opinion, Isaiah 33:17 is the destruction of the World Trade Center in the latter days of mankind, as it says, "We will see the king in his beauty", meaning the return of Y'shua. It mentions "the towers" in plural and asks where "the scribe" and" the receiver" are. This is the "counter" and the "weigher" in the original Hebrew manuscripts. It even asks, "Where is he that counted the towers?" This is asking where is he who celebrated the disaster. It took us a decade to find Osama Bin Laden. As the verse also states, we have been "meditating" (pondering upon) TERROR ever since. Just my opinion, and any thoughts are appreciated. James.

It seems kind of a stretch to see this as a prophecy of the destruction of the World Trade Center. All prophecies usually relate to Israel in some way and there are a lot of other towers.

• Like 2

Thanks again, Theophilus. By the way, are you and I the only ones interested in this subject? You are the only response I got, and in my opinion, this is an important prophecy. To answer your post, the prophecy is a dual prophecy, which the LORD used throughout the Bible. It definitely concerns Israel as it speaks to the siege of Jerusalem by the King of Assyria, King Sennacherib, Ye that are near, and also to us, Ye that are far off. As seen from Jerusalem, the USA is very far off, and in time we are certainly far off. Our Heavenly Father, knowing the end from the beginning, is also warning the children of this generation that we are being besieged. Isaiah 33:17 &18 are all about commerce being done, for it involves the destruction of the World Trade Center. As verse 18 implies, we have been pondering about terrorists and terrorism ever since 911. Thine heart shall meditate terror. Just my opinion Theo. Thanks again for your help. James.

Thanks again, Theophilus. By the way, are you and I the only ones interested in this subject? You are the only response I got, and in my opinion, this is an important prophecy. To answer your post, the prophecy is a dual prophecy, which the LORD used throughout the Bible. It definitely concerns Israel as it speaks to the siege of Jerusalem by the King of Assyria, King Sennacherib, Ye that are near, and also to us, Ye that are far off. As seen from Jerusalem, the USA is very far off, and in time we are certainly far off. Our Heavenly Father, knowing the end from the beginning, is also warning the children of this generation that we are being besieged. Isaiah 33:17 &18 are all about commerce being done, for it involves the destruction of the World Trade Center. As verse 18 implies, we have been pondering about terrorists and terrorism ever since 911. Thine heart shall meditate terror. Just my opinion Theo. Thanks again for your help. James.

You are not the only ones interested. I read your post yesterday. The Matthew Henry commentary says this relates to the Assyrians based on the content of the verses relating to Assyria. You have an interesting take on it though because that did occur on 9/11.

To answer your post, the prophecy is a dual prophecy, which the LORD used throughout the Bible.

Where does scripture teach this "dual Prophesy" notion?

I've seen it claimed beofre but no one has been able to show me where scripture teaches such a thing... and why only dual? why not triple, quadruple, etc...?

I understand Type and Shadow, but that is quite different from saying dual fulfillment.

A type is not a fulfillment at all...

It definitely concerns Israel as it speaks to the siege of Jerusalem by the King of Assyria, King Sennacherib, Ye that are near, and also to us, Ye that are far off. As seen from Jerusalem, the USA is very far off, and in time we are certainly far off.

Here's another concept I have touble understanding the reasoning behind.

For years I've been told that the terms "near and far off" in scripture relate only to How God views time, and are never meant to be discerned by how man views time.. (otherwise everyone would be full preterist), no?

So, what is keeping you (or me) from applying this notion of "ye that are far off" to some future to us generation?

Isaiah 7:14 is definitely a dual prophecy. If you read the whole chapter you will find that it was given as a sight to King Ahaz that God would keep his promise. It meant that a woman who was a virgin at the time the prophecy was made would soon bear a child. But it is quoted in the New Testament as a prophecy that the Messiah would be born of a virgin. Here is a more detailed explanation of this. https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/the-whole-truth/

I've seen it claimed beofre but no one has been able to show me where scripture teaches such a thing

How about Mt 2:15 quoting Ho 11:1? This was fulfilled twice, Israel being called out was the first and Christ being called out was the second.

• Like 2

How about Mt 2:15 quoting Ho 11:1? This was fulfilled twice, Israel being called out was the first and Christ being called out was the second.

Right... OT Type and Shadow / NT Messianic Fulfimment

In fact, while we can learn much about the apostles and Christ's "Messiah Hermeneutic" by tracking their citation of O.T. passages and studying their method of application, we are at a loss to extend their system of interpretation in areas where the apostles or Christ did not speak. When reading through the Old Testament books, we 21st century folk may be able to come up with some general applications of typology that seem to make good sense in light of the apostles' pattern. However, without any direct citation and application from the apostles on a given O.T. passage we cannot dogmatically assert that we have rightly used the Messiah Hermeneutic.

I can't help but wonder, Is that your position concerning ALL prophecy though? Can I assume from what youve said so far, that you believe there will be a future redemption of man through some future to us, post cross sacrifice? In other words, your thought here opens the door for a future Calvary. Perhaps the establishment of yet a new Church. yet Another virgin birth...

What current events look to be the GREATER fulfillment of the calvary event in our bibles? The WTC boming of thousands of innocents? Columbine? Sandy Hook?, Las Vegas Massacre? The little Church in Texas a couple days ago? Some other death of innocent event coming soon? Abortion? Something has to fit...rule of multiple fulfillments.

Next, let's look at the virgin birth. Perhaps cloning is the greater fulfillment in our times of that shadow provided by Mary and Jesus? Something has to fit...rule of multiple fulfillments.

Christ's ministry of miraculous cures. No doubt that modern medicine is the GREATER messiah of our times for which Jesus was a mere shadow. Modern medicine has brought cures for ailments and diseases on a massive scale NEVER before done by anyone including Jesus. Surely Christ's healings were just a type for a far greater healing of the sick in our times, right?

I can't help but wonder, Is that your position concerning ALL prophecy though? Can I assume from what youve said so far, that you believe there will be a future redemption of man through some future to us, post cross sacrifice? In other words, your thought here opens the door for a future Calvary. Perhaps the establishment of yet a new Church. yet Another virgin birth...

No. I don't know where you got all that. You asked a simple question about where in scripture there is the idea of dual fulfillment. I gave one example of such a place. That's all I said.

• Like 1