The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
ConfessionalLutheran

Genetic Genealogy and Faith

Yeah, following a fairly popular national trend, I had my DNA tested and according to 23 and Me, my paternal haplogroup is I- M253, a fairly common genetic signature to be found in the countries surrounding the North Sea. I choose to see the " human alphabet soup" ( Paternal and Maternal line DNA have various letters assigned to them) as further proof that we literally descend from Adam and Eve and that we are, indeed, one human family, despite our diversity in appearance and culture.

It looks like some of this research might support an " old earth" rather than a " young earth" creationism. I'm posting this topic because I wanted to see if anybody else had this done and if it was a faith confirming event for them. God bless.

My father, wife, and I all had our DNA tested. Each one shows some percentage back to the Middle East. The DNA tests were all surprising.

• Like 1

My father, wife, and I all had our DNA tested. Each one shows some percentage back to the Middle East. The DNA tests were all surprising.

Interesting. I guess I was most surprised at my Scandinavian percentages. The British and Western European, not so much.

• Like 1

Interesting. I guess I was most surprised at my Scandinavian percentages. The British and Western European, not so much.

I had 11 percent Scandinavian.

• Like 1

I had 11 percent Scandinavian.

For 23 and Me, I had 3.3% Scandinavian and for Ancestry DNA, it was 13%. My Heritage DNA had it anywhere between 5.9% and 6.5%. That would imply a great- great grandparent with Scandinavian heritage. As far as I know, I don't have any as far as the paper trail goes.

For 23 and Me, I had 3.3% Scandinavian and for Ancestry DNA, it was 13%. My Heritage DNA had it anywhere between 5.9% and 6.5%. That would imply a great- great grandparent with Scandinavian heritage. As far as I know, I don't have any as far as the paper trail goes.

That's interesting. I only tried Ancestry.

• Like 1

That's interesting. I only tried Ancestry.

I usually recommend http://www.myheritage.com because they upload your raw data for free and that they were pretty consistent with my ancestry results from the three companies ( 23andMe, AncestryDNA and FamilyTreeDNA). I mean that my ethnicities were the same and percentages similar from the raw data uploaded from all three websites.

• Like 1

I usually recommend http://www.myheritage.com because they upload your raw data for free and that they were pretty consistent with my ancestry results from the three companies ( 23andMe, AncestryDNA and FamilyTreeDNA). I mean that my ethnicities were the same and percentages similar from the raw data uploaded from all three websites.

Good to know if I recommend these to others in the future.

• Like 1

Did you have any Middle Eastern or Caucuses in your results? We were all surprised that we did. That is where Adam and Eve were believed to be from.

• Like 1

Did you have any Middle Eastern or Caucuses in your results? We were all surprised that we did. That is where Adam and Eve were believed to be from.

None at all. Ancestry DNA reads me as 45% Europe West, 28% Ireland, 13% Scandinavia, 6% Iberian Peninsula. The trace regions are 4% Great Britain, 3% Europe East and <1% Finland/ Northwest Russia https://www.ancestry.com/dna/lp/gash...0YkR8iaBcZBlWw. I think the only thing I inherited from Adam and Eve is my penchant to sin. :(

None at all. Ancestry DNA reads me as 45% Europe West, 28% Ireland, 13% Scandinavia, 6% Iberian Peninsula. The trace regions are 4% Great Britain, 3% Europe East and <1% Finland/ Northwest Russia https://www.ancestry.com/dna/lp/gash...0YkR8iaBcZBlWw. I think the only thing I inherited from Adam and Eve is my penchant to sin. :(

LOL. There could be a less than 1% fraction hiding in there somewhere.

• Like 1

LOL. There could be a less than 1% fraction hiding in there somewhere.

**Grins** I wouldn't be in the least surprised.

• Like 1

It looks like some of this research might support an " old earth" rather than a " young earth" creationism.

How does it do that?

• Like 2

How does it do that?

https://you.23andme.com/published/reports/a96d7df7bc634879/?share_id=a5e98e4d4b1948be

I'd say that if our haplotypes can be traced back 275,000 years, that's a reasonably " old earth," no?

I'd say that if our haplotypes can be traced back 275,000 years, that's a reasonably " old earth," no?

Bur can they really be traced back that far? There is no way we can test the accuracy of age estimates.

• Like 2

Bur can they really be traced back that far? There is no way we can test the accuracy of age estimates.

No, but estimates are exactly that. No accuracy is guaranteed, which is why we can simply shrug our shoulders, hope that the professionals have some inkling of the topics they're supposed to specialize in and go on our merry way. Things for me simply seem to point to Old Earth. I mean, Adam himself lived to be over 900 years old and others lived to what we would consider to be fantastically old ages at the dawn of time.

• Like 2

https://you.23andme.com/published/reports/a96d7df7bc634879/?share_id=a5e98e4d4b1948be

That is old. I believe Old Earth Creationism, Day Age Interpretation.

• Like 1