The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
News Feeder

Over 10,000 People Give Their Lives to Christ at Greg Laurie Crusade

Over 10,000 people recently made a decision to follow Christ at a Greg Laurie crusade in Southern California.

More...

• Like 1

Over 10,000 people recently made a decision to follow Christ at a Greg Laurie crusade in Southern California.

More...

That's an amazing # of people :RpS_smile: However, I hope the follow-up goes better than ours did following the last Billy Graham Crusade we had here in town. My church was very involved in the Crusade, and we were given the names of MANY of those in our area who had come forward to make a decision for Christ, to follow-up with them on the phone, to invite them to either a service at our church, or a Bible Study, or a home visit, etc., but literally no one responded to any of our invitations (a few did not do much more than thank us for calling them when we reached them on the phone, however, many did at least acknowledge to us that they did become Christians at the Crusade).

--David

• Like 1

Nice, that is a big number. I agree, I hope they follow-up.

• Like 1

I believe our nation is ready for crusades. With the civil unrest and hatred if ever there is a time for the Gospel to be preached, now is the time! Just watching the marches and riots of these huge crowds filled with anger, destruction, and murder proves their need for Jesus Christ.

My first reaction to this news is; How many of this 10,000 souls were really Called by God Almighty. How many really are genuinely "Born from above". I am not sure if these "Crusades" have the availability of trained genuine Followers of Christ to counsel with the WORD those who came down to respond to the call of God on their lives. If there was enough trained counselors that were able to share Jesus Christ, and give a solid material they could go home with that would be good. Beyond that I am sure some of these converts had no church they attended, most likely some did not even have a New Testament. I hope there were enough churches involved to share the serious responsibility of discipleship with each person. In the past large crusades gave out material and asked people to pray, but I question how many were discipled, much less contacted by a church other than by a letter, even if that.

Unless churches are equipped and ready to do crusades right, we may never reach our nation before Satan takes completely over. I guess the real question boils down to are each one of us really ready to get involved with these crusades to share Christ with lost souls?

justme

• Like 1

I believe our nation is ready for crusades. With the civil unrest and hatred if ever there is a time for the Gospel to be preached, now is the time! Just watching the marches and riots of these huge crowds filled with anger, destruction, and murder proves their need for Jesus Christ.

My first reaction to this news is; How many of this 10,000 souls were really Called by God Almighty. How many really are genuinely "Born from above". I am not sure if these "Crusades" have the availability of trained genuine Followers of Christ to counsel with the WORD those who came down to respond to the call of God on their lives. If there was enough trained counselors that were able to share Jesus Christ, and give a solid material they could go home with that would be good. Beyond that I am sure some of these converts had no church they attended, most likely some did not even have a New Testament. I hope there were enough churches involved to share the serious responsibility of discipleship with each person. In the past large crusades gave out material and asked people to pray, but I question how many were discipled, much less contacted by a church other than by a letter, even if that.

Unless churches are equipped and ready to do crusades right, we may never reach our nation before Satan takes completely over. I guess the real question boils down to are each one of us really ready to get involved with these crusades to share Christ with lost souls?

justme

I don't believe there will ever be a time when "Satan takes completely over." Jesus promised that "the gates of Hell will not prevail."

I do share your concern regarding all these people being truly born again believers, and if so, being discipled properly by a church that teaches doing Biblical doctrine.

I know that at past Billy Graham crusades, this did not always happen. Many "converts" were, for example, referred back to the Catholic Church. Sadly, most of the mainstream and largest churches today do not teach sound doctrine.

• Like 1

I don't believe there will ever be a time when "Satan takes completely over." Jesus promised that "the gates of Hell will not prevail."

I do share your concern regarding all these people being truly born again believers, and if so, being discipled properly by a church that teaches doing Biblical doctrine.

I know that at past Billy Graham crusades, this did not always happen. Many "converts" were, for example, referred back to the Catholic Church. Sadly, most of the mainstream and largest churches today do not teach sound doctrine.

I also remember that happening -- people being sent back to their home churches. And that's Also true -- that sound doctrine isn't the norm anymore.

It's been said that by the time the rapture Does take place -- there will be so few believers around that there will be explanations for their disappearing that will sound logical. We'll see :)

• Like 2

I also remember that happening -- people being sent back to their home churches. And that's Also true -- that sound doctrine isn't the norm anymore.

It's been said that by the time the rapture Does take place -- there will be so few believers around that there will be explanations for their disappearing that will sound logical. We'll see :)

Scary thought. The Bible does say there will be a "great falling away", however.

• Like 2

And maybe 1% will still consider themselves Christians a week from now.

Even that might be optimistic if what happened when I was still a schoolboy in the sixties is anything to go by. Some girls went to a Billy Graham rally. The following day they had "converted," the day after that it was wearing off a bit, and the day after that it had gone.

Evangelicals need to get it out of their head that evangelism is an exercise in mass marketing. Buy this brand of soap powder, or god, because it washes whiter.

• Like 5

justme

I was just rereading your post -- the part that bothers me is when you questioned how many of that huge number of souls were Really called by God Almighty -- it Almost sounded like Maybe some people of those 10,000 got 'saved' by mistake?! Salvation is not denomination based. There are those who want to reach as many people with the Gospel as is possible at one time. I'm Not a fan of sending people back to a non-Bible teaching church. But maybe we don't give the Holy Spirit very much credit -- it's God's Word that is heard, read and accepted / believed in our heart. And no man / woman is an island -- a person usually goes to those crusades with other people -- so -- and we Don't know how much follow-up is given / rejected. But, those people Have heard the Gospel.

Those of us who are concerned Can do follow-up work ourselves?! We Can be involved in our local VBS programs or whatever is happening in Our location.

And maybe 1% will still consider themselves Christians a week from now.

Even that might be optimistic if what happened when I was still a schoolboy in the sixties is anything to go by. Some girls went to a Billy Graham rally. The following day they had "converted," the day after that it was wearing off a bit, and the day after that it had gone.

Evangelicals need to get it out of their head that evangelism is an exercise in mass marketing. Buy this brand of soap powder, or god, because it washes whiter.

Well -- we're not in the 60's -- it's 2017 -- the world is a different place. Times are harder -- the world is a bigger mess.

Salvation is not based on 'feelings' -- and -- it's Also true that emotionalism is creeping in. And maybe 'big time' is an appropriate term to use. God's Word is Stable -- the Holy Spirit is Not confused by human emotions. Once He's in our hearts, He won't leave. How do 'we' know who really does have the Holy Spirit residing in them? Because 'by their fruits we shall them' -- That is Biblical. Spiritual nurturing is essential after salvation.

No matter how big or small a group a person is part of -- there needs to be the Gospel unto salvation presented and follow-up is so very important.

• Like 1

Oneeonly has to watch Joel Osteen to see 18,000 people hear the social Gosple that seems to be in the majority of very large churches. T D Jakes church in a WOF church but TD Jakes rejects the Trinity! These mega churches like Rick Warrens is another church that bows before the Pope and it is so very sad to see so many souls die because of these pastors that are teaching another Gospel.

Justme

• Like 1

Just as an extension of what I said already, those I named above are surely not the only ones that are ship wrecking peoples souls. Less spoken of but none the less are the millions of souls held captive by the roman catholic Church. I need not remind myself why I am a protester against the Pope and the false church he rules over. The Pope has said salvation comes by him. This is blasphemy for anyone other than Jesus Christ himself only to make such a statement.

If it were not for men under Gods direction, like Wycliffe and Tyndale, and others the Pope would still have us with no Bible for us common people! Praise God for the Bible His Word. Amen.

justme

• Like 2

People "giving their lives" to God is not biblical. In fact the phrase is incredibly man-centered and implies humans choose God.

On the contrary, unless God makes us spiritually alive in Christ, we are dead in our trespasses and sins. Dead men cannot choose. Go to a corpse and ask them to sit up. See if they do so.

Now, God may have chosen to adopt 10,000 people at this crusade. It is entirely possible within the scope of God's grace. But to say that 10,000 spiritually dead people chose God is patently false and unsupportable by scripture.

• Like 2

MennoSota, I am not sure but did someone say that people were "giving their lives"? God calls thats ture. However we can "give our lives" to become in full time ministry, or missionary, right?

justme

MennoSota, I am not sure but did someone say that people were "giving their lives"? God calls thats ture. However we can "give our lives" to become in full time ministry, or missionary, right?

justme

The title of the thread is: "Over 10,000 give their lives to Christ" at an evangelistic meeting. Such a phrase is used to infer these people became Christians at this event.

Only God can adopt people into His family. No dead person can animate that process.

Can Christians choose a vocational ministry? Sure, but that's not what the thread title is saying.

• Like 1

Hi Menno, Greg Laurie was part of Chuck Smith's Calvary Chapel when I went there. He does an excellent "Crusade" (as Crusades go), but those two guys are about as high up on the "Free Will - O - Meter" as you can get without becoming Semi-Pelagian. I'm in complete agreement with you concerning the spiritually dead .. e.g. Romans 3:10-12; Ephesians 2:1-3, but Laurie teaches the prescient view of predestination which means that no one is spiritually dead (no matter what the Bible says) and that all have the ability to either accept or reject Christ .. apart from grace.

Something like "Over 10,000 Became Christians" would have been far better, but that doesn't have the same kind of ring to it as "gave their lives to Christ" does apparently.

Yours and His,

David

People "giving their lives" to God is not biblical. In fact the phrase is incredibly man-centered and implies humans choose God.

On the contrary, unless God makes us spiritually alive in Christ, we are dead in our trespasses and sins. Dead men cannot choose. Go to a corpse and ask them to sit up. See if they do so.

Now, God may have chosen to adopt 10,000 people at this crusade. It is entirely possible within the scope of God's grace. But to say that 10,000 spiritually dead people chose God is patently false and unsupportable by scripture.

Okay -- how about using the phrase "they accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Savior".

The Gospel of John says a person is born physically First and Then born spiritually. Because, as you've said -- a corpse cannot choose anything. A person needs to be able to understand right from wrong in order to realize they are a sinner in the first place. We are told Now is the time for salvation. While we are still alive on this earth.

And you, personally, do not have knowledge of anyone's inner heart. I find it very disturbing that you question what is possible with in God's grace. Every one of those 10,000 people could have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Savior at that very time.

• Like 1

Just to add a further thought, there is certainly a sense, from our POV anyway, that we are "giving/surrendering" our lives to Christ, and in reality, that's exactly what we do, isn't it? After all, we are the ones who choose to believe, and the ones who actually do the "believing", BUT ONLY because of the work God has already done in our hearts, regenerating/quickening us to spiritual life, causing us to be "born again", and making us into "new creatures" in His Son .. e.g. Ezekiel 36:26; John 3:3; 2 Corinthians 5:17, 21.

The Biblical problem for Laurie is found in the fact that he believes that God makes these kind of changes in all men, that ALL men/women are given the "gift" of saving faith in Christ .. Ephesians 2:8. If that's true however, if ALL w/o exception are drawn by the Father and given to the Son, then ALL, w/o exception, will be saved .. John 6:37-40, 44, 65. So no matter what direction we look at it from, Laurie's, "prescient view" of predestination cannot be true Biblically.

In Christ,

David

Acts 13

48 As many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

166095235.iiCUqEbh.CalvinJohnCartoonActs13_48.jpg.9f75e177997077f0e06dc56312b779b6.jpg

• Like 2

Okay -- how about using the phrase "they accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Savior".

Nope. A spiritually dead person cannot accept anything. God must first make the person alive in Christ. God must choose to give grace and give the person faith so that the person cannot boast about choosing God. (Ephesians 2:1-10 cannot be anymore clear about this.)

The human reaction to God's saving grace may be a passionate response of rejoicing. It may be a quiet rejoicing. The emotion will be different for each person, but the fact is that only God does the work of saving rebels and adopting them. (Ephesians 1:4-5)

The Gospel of John says a person is born physically First and Then born spiritually. Because, as you've said -- a corpse cannot choose anything.

Indeed. No person ever conceived their self in the womb. There was an outside action that happened to give life. God must make a person spiritually alive, just as God must ordain that the sperm and egg unite unto conception.

A person needs to be able to understand right from wrong in order to realize they are a sinner in the first place. We are told Now is the time for salvation. While we are still alive on this earth.

Can God not save the severely handicapped person who has no concept of right and wrong? Does God not save the millions of aborted children?

Christians are commissioned to share the gospel. This is God's will for us. But, only God saves. Our oratory is worthless, unless God chooses that message by which He makes a person alive in Christ.

And you, personally, do not have knowledge of anyone's inner heart. I find it very disturbing that you question what is possible with in God's grace. Every one of those 10,000 people could have accepted Jesus Christ as their personal Savior at that very time.

I already said that God could have made all 10,000 people alive in Christ. This is very possible. But, if it happened, it is solely because God chose to make them come to life. None of them chose God. They couldn't.

Romans 3 tells us that no one seeks God. Not even one.

Thus, it is all God who causes a person to go from death unto life.

• Like 2

Abraham believed in God and was counted as righteousness.

You have been questioning that God could have made all 10,000 people alive in Christ during that crusade -- that it's very Possible -- but that none of them Chose God. What do you think believing in the heart and confessing Means. It's the personal choice to accept or reject. And it's Also true that God is the only one who knows -- We don't. The person who is elect -- Still during their life time will need to accept the gift of salvation. The Holy Spirit doesn't jump into a person's heart without our believing and confessing.

You maybe think that God can only handle 5,000 at a time, but not 10,000?!

In the New Testament there were 5,000 who came to faith in that one day. The Church grew rapidly.

And I could bring up Acts 3:19 "Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out..."

• Like 2