The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Monstersstuck

Suicide: A sin that causes you to lose your salvation.

There are 7 suicides in the Bible and All were spiritual failures. It is the ultimate act of UNBELIEF and disowning God and leads to loss of salvation as these passages clearly warn us about.

Matthew 10:33 NIV

[33] But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.

Matthew 24:13 NIV

[13] but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Luke 8:13 NIV

[13] Those on the rock are the ones who receive the word with joy when they hear it, but they have no root. They believe for a while, but in the time of testing they fall away.

Luke 14:29-30 NIV

[29] For if he lays the foundation and is not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule him, [30] saying, 'This fellow began to build and was not able to finish.'

Romans 11:20-22 NIV

[20] Granted. But they were broken off because of unbelief, and you stand by faith. Do not be arrogant, but be afraid. [21] For if God did not spare the natural branches, he will not spare you either. [22] Consider therefore the kindness and sternness of God: sternness to those who fell, but kindness to you, provided that you continue in his kindness. Otherwise, you also will be cut off.

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 NIV

[16] Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you? [17] If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is sacred, and you are that temple.

1 Corinthians 15:2 NIV

[2] By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

Hebrews 10:37-39 NIV

[37] For in just a very little while, "He who is coming will come and will not delay. [38] But my righteous one will live by faith. And if he shrinks back, I will not be pleased with him." [39] But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who believe and are saved.

Hebrews 3:14-15,18-19 NIV

[14] We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first. [15] As has just been said: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion." [18] And to whom did God swear that they would never enter his rest if not to those who disobeyed ? [19] So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief.

Hebrews 3:6 NIV

[6] But Christ is faithful as a son over God's house. And we are his house, if we hold on to our courage and the hope of which we boast.

1 Timothy 1:19 NIV

[19] holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked their faith.

2 Timothy 4:7-8 NIV

[7] I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. [8] Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day---and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing.

2 Timothy 2:5 NIV

[5] Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor's crown unless he competes according to the rules.

1 John 2:24-25 NIV

[24] See that what you have heard from the beginning remains in you. If it does, you also will remain in the Son and in the Father. [25] And this is what he promised us---even eternal life.

Revelation 2:11 NIV

[11] He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death.

Revelation 2:10 NIV

[10] Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil will put some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution for ten days. Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Revelation 21:8 NIV

[8] But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars---their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

No, a Christian can be sick in their body, kill themselves, and go to heaven. Sometimes Christian can be sick in their head, and not be thinking clearing and make the wrong choice. It is no more a sin to be sick in body than it is to be sick in mind. Paul said, "comfort the feeble minded."

• Like 1

What if a person jumped off a 500 foot rocky cliff and about halfway down said they were sorry for doing so to God?

What if a person jumped off a 500 foot rocky cliff and about halfway down said they were sorry for doing so to God?

There's a spiritual and physical consequence to our actions. The spiritual side is the lack of faith in God which leads the person into giving up all hope in this life. The physical consequence is that ground which is approaching swiftly because the person jumped from a cliff.

Saul leaned against his own sword. Judas hung himself. Both of these men lacked faith.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

But what if the person truly repented of jumping when they were half way down? Would God honor that?

Let's consider the mentality ill though. They're pretty far off from reality and there's assisted suicides as well which in some cases should be considered murder.

But what if the person truly repented of jumping when they were half way down? Would God honor that?

Would they be able to think of repenting in such an adrenaline filled moment. From what I hear most people take a heart attack or pass out before they would reach out the bottom. I could imagine if someone killed themselves in another way like slicing an artery they could repent before the fall out from blood loss which doesnt take very long.

This kinda hits that old "if they repented on their death bed" question. I would ask if God would lead them to repentance while they had time to be used for the kingdom, not to say they can't have use from their death bed though. Then I would wonder if they truely repented or if they thought salvation could be used like a last minute afterlife insurance.

• Like 1

G'evning brother,

God is just not a wishful thinker, Faber. God is not sitting up there hoping with his fingers crossed that someone chooses Him.

Considering what occurs before faith and repentance such as election and regeneration I think God already knows if the person is sincere because He is directly involved. God knows the heart of man or the heart after His own. God knows whether a man is repenting sincerely or whether he is trying to escape the consequences of his sins etc.

I think in a way that this touches upon Jesus' teaching in Matthew 7 where we are taught that we are not to Judge or be the final arbitrator over a man's destiny. All I know is that if a man committed suicide by jumping off a 500ft cliff I would say that the action doesn't look good. Obviously, that man will know soon enough whether the man himself is genuine for God knows us better than we know ourselves.

Just curious, does anyone disagree that suicide is murder?

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Just curious, does anyone disagree that suicide is murder?

I think it is. Only God has the right to take our life (Deuteronomy 32:39). Since we are not our own (cf. 1 Corinthians 6:20) for a person to take their own life is usurping the authority of God.

In terms of Innerfire's comments about the mentally ill I am just not sure. I'll leave that with God. However, this does raise the question if a person commits suicide wouldn't they be suffering some form of a mental illness to commit this act (?)

• Like 2

However, this does raise the question if a person commits suicide wouldn't they be suffering some form of a mental illness to commit this act (?)

I can't help but think that the Arminians believe man is only sick and in need of a doctor.

As a Calvinist I believe man is dead in sin and trespasses and in need of a savior.

What others call illness, I call original sin or the effects of a sin nature.

Don't get me wrong, I am bi-polar. Have been hospitalized in the past for suicide attempts. Currently on medication to subdue the effects of my disorder. However, medicated or not I am accountable and responsible for my actions. I can say though that my own past suicide attempts were an attempt to escape the world and its narrative.

I am currently dealing with a suicidal family member. Though I try to console, give guidance, and direction towards God, they refuse to seek for God. They are turned inward, in which, I think, they'll only find a lost cause. Right now they are bouncing between secular counselors, therapists, and psychiatrist, and they can find no relief. They are offered nothing more than conformity to the world's philosophies, riches, and desires.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

I disagree that a TRUE Follower of Christ can lose their Salvation. Think carefully, can a Christian who is so depressed, say in pain form cancer, or the loss of a mate of many years and elderly,totally alone become so depressed that they could end their life? Can a young girl who is a Christian who has been raped and beaten become so depressed sh would kill herself? I say yes.

I have been with the grandmother of a young woman the killed her self. I was just a few days into a new ministry when a young man killed himself. There was a young manin a town I was pastor in who killed himself because of being bullied. All these young people stated they had become genuine Followers of Jesus.

Did you know a simple thing like sugar can cause sever depression? I do not have all the answers as to why people kill themselves. Ultimately only God is the final judge about these people that end their lives. My response is the help those left behind, show the love of Jesus who are left some who have no understanding as to why their loved one killed themselves.To us who share Christ's love.and compassion, to a World that is full of evil and wickedness, we have a huge job to do. We must be alert for those who are are in depression, and showing signs of withdrawing from family, friends, and church as these are things to be taken seriously. I always take seriously a person who says they want to die.

justme

If you believe in the idea of the "Age of Choice", are mentally ill people really competant to make the choice? There's a reason why secular law includes the idea of the mentally incompetant - if someone jumps of a cliff because they think they can fly or because they don't understand what death is, is that suicide, murder, manslaughter, or just a tragedy?

In terms of Innerfire's comments about the mentally ill I am just not sure. I'll leave that with God. However, this does raise the question if a person commits suicide wouldn't they be suffering some form of a mental illness to commit this act (?)
I think intent matters. I've been to the funeral of someone who killed themselves which was held in a church and he was buried in church grounds. Under the circumstances, which I won't go into, it was deemed his death was due to "unbearable mental torment" and that he was not able to think rationally therefore his death was caused by his illness and not wilful suicide.

On the other hand, there are people who kill themselves to escape consequences, like many mass-killers. Those are people making a rational decision to take their own life as they've taken many others, and give up their chance to repent.

God is just and merciful, and he will judge according to the victim's intent.

• Like 1

The older of my two grandsons was found in his bedroom hanging -- shoe strings tied together and around his neck -- he and one of his sisters had been involved with a group of kids in the neighborhood / school who were in with ' the fainting game'. Autoaphyixiation. He was almost 14 at the time and would have graduated from high school last year. The two boys had asked my daughter to Please let them home school that following year. The girls were in the local school district. The phys. ed teacher was Not a very good teacher. She allowed bullying in class. Would not allow rest room breaks. The older of the two was fairly vocal at school about hating that class. The kids in the 'group' had been trying something different -- Ben decided to try it by himself on his top bunk and in the process of fainting, by himself, he slipped off his top bunk and accidentlly hung himself. The police ruled it suicide -- half the family were RCC and that ruling didn't sit well at all. We are Baptist and realized that since Ben was a believer, he was in heaven. The police refused to reconsider --IF anyone had told them about the activity with the 'fainting game' they possibly would have called it an accidental death, but no one was willing to tell them. Another boy in the group had tried it with no problems. Ben died the next morning.

So -- from our experience -- no, suicide does Not cause a loss of salvation. Once saved Always Saved.

• Like 2

The Son said, with the Father anything is possible. Pray for the salvation of those who died in this manner.

The older of my two grandsons was found in his bedroom hanging -- shoe strings tied together and around his neck -- he and one of his sisters had been involved with a group of kids in the neighborhood / school who were in with ' the fainting game'. Autoaphyixiation. He was almost 14 at the time and would have graduated from high school last year. The two boys had asked my daughter to Please let them home school that following year. The girls were in the local school district. The phys. ed teacher was Not a very good teacher. She allowed bullying in class. Would not allow rest room breaks. The older of the two was fairly vocal at school about hating that class. The kids in the 'group' had been trying something different -- Ben decided to try it by himself on his top bunk and in the process of fainting, by himself, he slipped off his top bunk and accidentlly hung himself. The police ruled it suicide -- half the family were RCC and that ruling didn't sit well at all. We are Baptist and realized that since Ben was a believer, he was in heaven. The police refused to reconsider --IF anyone had told them about the activity with the 'fainting game' they possibly would have called it an accidental death, but no one was willing to tell them. Another boy in the group had tried it with no problems. Ben died the next morning.

So -- from our experience -- no, suicide does Not cause a loss of salvation. Once saved Always Saved.

Your post is heart wrenching, I am so very sorry, The words say the pain you feel is clearly spoken. This had to be a difficult time for family.

This ver same thing occurred almost exactly, even on the bunk bed, just as you stated, to a couple in the last church I was pastor. This had happened a few years before I came there, but the hurt and grief were stil with the parents. The father was a deacon in the church and as he told the story of how his son died i was awe struck, I did not know about this kind of behavior.

I am sincerely sorry for the loss of your grandson. There will be a grandson telling of not only you, but his parents to Jesus, he will be there for you. God bless you and thank you for sharing this painful loss.

justme

• Like 2

I'm sorry to hear you lost your grandson.

But like you said, he didn't commit suicide.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear you lost your grandson.

But like you said, he didn't commit suicide.

Unfortunately the police report stated that it was suicide and the death certificate stated that,also. Greg and Debs went to the police and asked them to Please reconsider their findings. Half the family are RCC and the church apparently won't accept suicide -- in the small Check town cemetary, the RCC has a special place aside from the regular Catholic part for 'questionable / suicide' burial places. It split the family very badly. Next week will be another anniversary of his death.

• Like 2

The Son said, with the Father anything is possible. Pray for the salvation of those who died in this manner.

Why would praying for people who have already died make any difference in their salvation. The time for praying for people's salvation is while they are still alive and can still make a decision For salvation.

• Like 2

Why would praying for people who have already died make any difference in their salvation. The time for praying for people's salvation is while they are still alive and can still make a decision For salvation.

I understand what you are saying but I pray the Lord will work miracles in some of these cases. For instance, people may have mental health disabilities,... I pray He saves as many as possible.

Isaiah 65:24 says, "Before they call I will answer." God isn't bound by time as we are. He might save a person in response to a prayer that is made for him after he has died.

• Like 1

Isaiah 65:24 says, "Before they call I will answer." God isn't bound by time as we are. He might save a person in response to a prayer that is made for him after he has died.

Great post. That is my prayer.

Praying for the dead? A physically dead person is not capable of responding to Anything. The thief on the cross responded to Christ Before he died. Heart belief and verbal confession are necessary for salvation.

God binds Us by time. Now is the time for our salvation. We are not guaranteed tomorrow.

And, yes, at times Before we pray God does answer our prayers -- but it's while we are still alive.

"Praying for the dead is not a biblical concept. Our prayers have no bearing on someone once he or she has died. The reality is that, at the point of death, one’s eternal destiny is confirmed. Either he is saved through faith in Christ and is in heaven where he is experiencing rest and joy in God’s presence, or he is in torment in hell. The story of the rich man and Lazarus the beggar provides us with a vivid illustration of this truth. Jesus plainly used this story to teach that after death the unrighteous are eternally separated from God, that they remember their rejection of the gospel, that they are in torment, and that their condition cannot be remedied (Luke 16:19-31). -

Often, people who have lost a loved one are encouraged to pray for those who have passed away and for their families. Of course, we should pray for those grieving, but for the dead, no. No one should ever believe that someone may be able to pray for him, thereby effecting some kind of favorable outcome, after he has died. The Bible teaches that the eternal state of mankind is determined by our actions during our lives on earth. “The soul who sins is the one who will die. . . . The righteousness of the righteous man will be credited to him, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against him” (Ezekiel 18:20).

The writer to the Hebrews tells us, “Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment” (Hebrews 9:27). Here we understand that no change in one’s spiritual condition can be made following his death—either by himself or through the efforts of others. If it is useless to pray for the living, who are committing “a sin that leads to death” (1 John 5:16), i.e., continual sin without seeking God’s forgiveness, how could prayer for those who are already dead benefit them, since there is no post-mortem plan of salvation?

The point is that each of us has but one life, and we are responsible for how we live that life. Others may influence our choices, but ultimately we must give an account for the choices we make. Once life is over, there are no more choices to be made; we have no choice but to face judgment. The prayers of others may express their desires, but they won’t change the outcome. The time to pray for a person is while he or she lives and there is still the possibility of his or her heart, attitudes, and behavior being changed (Romans 2:3-9).

It is natural to have a desire to pray in times of pain, suffering, and loss of loved ones and friends, but we know the boundaries of valid prayer as revealed in the Bible. The Bible is the only official prayer manual, and it teaches that prayers for the dead are futile. Yet we find the practice of praying for the dead observed in certain areas of “Christendom.” Roman Catholic theology, for example, allows for prayers both to the dead and on behalf of them. But even Catholic authorities admit that there is no explicit authorization for prayers on behalf of the dead in the sixty-six books of canonical Scripture. Instead, they appeal to the Apocrypha (2 Maccabees 12:45), church tradition, the decree of the Council of Trent, etc., to defend the practice.

The Bible teaches that those who have yielded to the Savior’s will (Hebrews 5:8-9) enter directly and immediately into the presence of the Lord after death (Luke 23:43; Philippians 1:23; 2 Corinthians 5:6, 8). What need, then, do they have for the prayers of people on the earth? While we sympathize with those who have lost dear ones, we must bear in mind that “now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation” (2 Corinthians 6:2). While the context refers to the gospel age as a whole, the verse is fitting for any individual who is unprepared to face the inevitable—death and the judgment that follows (Romans 5:12; 1 Corinthians 15:26; Hebrews 9:27). Death is final, and after that, no amount of praying will avail a person of the salvation he has rejected in life.

Read More: https://www.gotquestions.org/praying-for-the-dead.html"

• Like 2