The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
News Feeder

Did a Solar Eclipse Darken the Skies during Jesus’ Crucifixion?

It’s a scene familiar from movies and even some modern translations of the Bible: As Jesus Christ hangs on the cross, an eclipse blots out the sun.

More...

I think it was a miraculous sign from God.

• Like 1

God made the sun stand still for Joshua, why not cause an elcipse out of season?

Whatever happened it sure wasn't an everyday occurance. Perhaps it was creation,the sun and stars, morning for The Creator. Or something else all together.

​​

​​​​

God made the sun stand still for Joshua, why not cause an elcipse out of season?

Whatever happened it sure wasn't an everyday occurance. Perhaps it was creation,the sun and stars, morning for The Creator. Or something else all together.

​​

​​​​

Exactly what I feel happened. I believe it was an absolute miracle from the Father probably.

• Like 1

As the article points out, it could not have been an eclipse. Perhaps God simply kept the sun from producing light during that period of time.

The article includes this statement, "The New American Bible even translates this “because of an eclipse of the sun.” This shows that we need to be careful in deciding which translation of the Bible we use. Sometimes the translators impose their ideas instead of translating what the Bible actually says.

• Like 1

As the article points out, it could not have been an eclipse. Perhaps God simply kept the sun from producing light during that period of time.

The article includes this statement, "The New American Bible even translates this “because of an eclipse of the sun.” This shows that we need to be careful in deciding which translation of the Bible we use. Sometimes the translators impose their ideas instead of translating what the Bible actually says.

Yeah, it could have been an eclipse. I think it was a miracle eclipse performed by the Father possibly.

Regarding Bible translations, I mainly use the KJV and sometimes the NASB.

Some say because of this eclipse, we can date crucifixion to April 3, 33 AD

Yeah, this is true, which would fit the timing estimated by other ways for the crucifixion.

The translators did not impose their ideas upon the text. That is a fair translation of the text. It is other considerations that argue against it being an eclipse not the Greek words and grammar. Edited by Origen
  • Like 1

The translators did not impose their ideas upon the text. That is a fair translation of the text. It is other considerations that argue against it being an eclipse not the Greek words and grammar.

Good to know the Greek text has it worded this way as well.

Good to know the Greek text has it worded this way as well.
Hey CDF47 Please don't over sell the point. It is a fair translation and it certainly does not suggest that the translators imposed their ideas upon the text. They did not. However, eclipse is not only way to understand the text nor is it the best way given certain factors.

Hey CDF47 Please don't over sell the point. It is a fair translation and it certainly does not suggest that the translators imposed their ideas upon the text. They did not. However, eclipse is not only way to understand the text nor is it the best way given certain factors.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that is common with the Bible. It must be nice to understand original texts.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that is common with the Bible. It must be nice to understand original texts.
It does have its rewards.

• Like 1

@Post #9. How does that work out with the adjusted calendar?

@Post #9. How does that work out with the adjusted calendar?

Not sure exactly. Only know what I read.

One of the posters was reminding us that Jesus Christ had taken the sins of the world upon Him / God turned His face from Him. And wasn't the veil also ripped from bottom to top?! Darkness was there because of More than an eclipse. Then again, would God cause a very extended eclipse.

Science Does try to explain away God's works.

• Like 3

One of the posters was reminding us that Jesus Christ had taken the sins of the world upon Him / God turned His face from Him. And wasn't the veil also ripped from bottom to top?! Darkness was there because of More than an eclipse. Then again, would God cause a very extended eclipse.

Science Does try to explain away God's works.

It could have been a very extended eclipse. Some scientists definitely try to do that.

It could have been a very extended eclipse. Some scientists definitely try to do that.

Some scientists will do most Anything to explain away God's handiwork.

Apparently the idea is that Jesus Christ taking on the sins of the entire human race wasn't really all that big a deal. After all, God created us -- how bad could we really be. So it would Probably be just a natural phenomena that just doesn't happen very often. I'm only saying this as a possibility that some people Might think this way. God Does provide the light in this world. When He turned His back on His Son, it Did darken the entire world.

• Like 2

Some scientists will do most Anything to explain away God's handiwork.

Yeah, they will. I have seen it way too often.