The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
motirattan

Epistle of Barnabas

Is it inspired? I was watching a video and they said that the Bible's oldest complete version had it at the end. I heard that it said that the world will end in 6000 years I.e. soon as it implies the need of Young Earth Creation model. And the same about Book of Enoch. My friend was making a statement that we had done removed Book of Enoch which was previously in the Bible so man has authority to choose what is right or wrong. How will you respond to it?

Is it inspired? I was watching a video and they said that the Bible's oldest complete version had it at the end. I heard that it said that the world will end in 6000 years I.e. soon as it implies the need of Young Earth Creation model. And the same about Book of Enoch. My friend was making a statement that we had done removed Book of Enoch which was previously in the Bible so man has authority to choose what is right or wrong. How will you respond to it?

I have not read the book of Barnabas, but I have read the book of Enoch. Anyone familiar with the Bible will see the difference. The writing of the Bible has a terseness, pithiness, and pregnancy of wording that has a depth of meaning sensed in the reading. In contrast when I read the book of Enoch there is a sense of rambling, repetition and inconsistent symbolism.

To say the book of Barnabas was in the canon of the Bible is misleading. The canon came late. What the TV show may have meant is that the book of Barnabas was read by many early Christians, and some of them thought it was inspired.

• Like 2

Is it inspired?
No.

I was watching a video and they said that the Bible's oldest complete version had it at the end.
It is.

I heard that it said that the world will end in 6000 years I.e. soon as it implies the need of Young Earth Creation model.
The book of Barnabas does make that claim but that has nothing to do with the Young Earth Creation model.

Give heed, children, what this meaneth; He ended in six days. He

meaneth this, that in six thousand years the Lord shall bring all

things to an end; for the day with Him signifyeth a thousand years;

and this He himself beareth me witness, saying; Behold, the day of

the Lord shall be as a thousand years. Therefore, children, in six

days, that is in six thousand years, everything shall come to an end. (Barnabas 15:4)

And the same about Book of Enoch. My friend was making a statement that we had done removed Book of Enoch which was previously in the Bible so man has authority to choose what is right or wrong.
The Book of Enoch was never part of the Scriptures. Therefore it was never taken out because it was never part of the canon.

• Like 3

The oldest Bible date around 180 BC . Why wouldn't early Church knew what was true or what was false.

The oldest Bible date around 180 BC . Why wouldn't early Church knew what was true or what was false.
Sorry your information is not correct. The book of Barnabas dates to the 2nd century A.D. The N.T. was written in the 1st century A.D. Obviously neither could be part of the oldest complete Bible if your claim that "the oldest Bible date around 180 BC" were correct.

When they claim it is part of the oldest complete Bible, they are referring to codex Sinaiticus dated to the 4th century A.D.

http://www.codexsinaiticus.org/en/

Edited by Origen
  • Like 1

Let's put all of the so-called inspired documents in a book for sale. Let's exclude any of the Books of the Bible. Let's see if it becomes a best seller.

Let's put all of the so-called inspired documents in a book for sale. Let's exclude any of the Books of the Bible. Let's see if it becomes a best seller.

I'd just like to remind you that some of our members here are very young in age. Sarcasm is not understood so clearly because of not only the age difference but because of our cultures. Some of our members are not from America and risk not only familial status but being outcast for simply professing the Christian faith. I think answering the questions that are being used to confront them with respect to what they are going through may serve them better.

I just ask that we become aware of the age of members and that they may not have a picture of themselves as an avatar for a very good reason. Lets be helpful and fruitful in our replies. Some of our members are limited in the time they have to research this kind of information, because they are going against the authorities to be by even looking up the information or asking questions.

Untitled.jpg.1076a5aecea79004816420c7afa8f873.jpg

God bless,

William

• Like 1

I wonder how many Christians would assist him in his studies, and how many would buy the book. Obviously, he has indicated profound Faith in our Savior. I'm sure none of us would want to see his Faith derailed. I'm sure none of us want to "check" first to see if he is being monitored by parents or electronics or the internet opposing his Faith. IF he is in danger he should pursue his Faith privately.

OK.

Motirattan, if I have posted anything that you find unkind or not helpful, I prayerfully apologize. I pray God's abundant blessings upon you as you continue to follow Jesus.

• Like 2

That's fine . I don't find anything filled with rude words. Thanks William for concern!

• Like 2

Hi motirattan, hope you are well. I came across this on the web:

Compared to the New Testament, there was much less controversy over the canon of the Old Testament. Hebrew believers recognized God’s messengers and accepted their writings as inspired of God. While there was undeniably some debate in regards to the Old Testament canon, by A.D. 250 there was nearly universal agreement on the canon of Hebrew Scripture. The only issue that remained was the Apocrypha, with some debate and discussion continuing today. The vast majority of Hebrew scholars considered the Apocrypha to be good historical and religious documents, but not on the same level as the Hebrew Scriptures.

For the New Testament, the process of the recognition and collection began in the first centuries of the Christian church. Very early on, some of the New Testament books were being recognized. Paul considered Luke’s writings to be as authoritative as the Old Testament (1 Timothy 5:18; see also Deuteronomy 25:4 and Luke 10:7). Peter recognized Paul’s writings as Scripture (2 Peter 3:15-16). Some of the books of the New Testament were being circulated among the churches (Colossians 4:16; 1 Thessalonians 5:27). Clement of Rome mentioned at least eight New Testament books (A.D. 95). Ignatius of Antioch acknowledged about seven books (A.D. 115). Polycarp, a disciple of John the apostle, acknowledged 15 books (A.D. 108). Later, Irenaeus mentioned 21 books (A.D. 185). Hippolytus recognized 22 books (A.D. 170-235). The New Testament books receiving the most controversy were Hebrews, James, 2 Peter, 2 John, and 3 John.

Source:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gotquestions.org/amp/canon-Bible.html

I'd like to add that from reading the Gospels, one can gather that Jesus actually held to what we call the Old Testament ( The law, prophets etc.).

I read the Book of Enoch and in my opinion it is not inspired. I think it may have been written by secret societies since they frequently refer to it.

I read the Book of Enoch and in my opinion it is not inspired.
It is not.

I think it may have been written by secret societies since they frequently refer to it.
The book of Enoch was written over a long period of time by different authors. The earliest section (i.e. the book of the Watchers) of the Book dates to around 300 B.C., and the rest of the text to sometime after that. It is divided into five sections (I took the following from another site but it is correct):

The Book of the Watchers (1 Enoch 1–36)

The Book of the Parables of Enoch (1 Enoch 37–71) (also called the Similitudes of Enoch)

The Astronomical Book (1 Enoch 72–82) (also called the Book of the Heavenly Luminaries or Book of Luminaries)

The Book of Dream Visions (1 Enoch 83–90) (also called the Book of Dreams)

The Epistle of Enoch (1 Enoch 91–108)

It was not was written by some secret society. It fits within it historical, theological, and literary context. If you want to do some serious study start here:

http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/1enoch.html

It is not.

The book of Enoch was written over a long period of time by different authors. The earliest section (i.e. the book of the Watchers) of the Book dates to around 300 B.C., and the rest of the text to sometime after that. It is divided into five sections (I took the following from another site but it is correct):

The Book of the Watchers (1 Enoch 1–36)

The Book of the Parables of Enoch (1 Enoch 37–71) (also called the Similitudes of Enoch)

The Astronomical Book (1 Enoch 72–82) (also called the Book of the Heavenly Luminaries or Book of Luminaries)

The Book of Dream Visions (1 Enoch 83–90) (also called the Book of Dreams)

The Epistle of Enoch (1 Enoch 91–108)

It was not was written by some secret society. It fits within it historical, theological, and literary context. If you want to do some serious study start here:

http://www.earlyjewishwritings.com/1enoch.html

I read the book but I haven't studied it much. I didn't know the book was written over a period of time. I still don't think it is an inspired work but I will have to look into it some more.

I read the book but I haven't studied it much. I didn't know the book was written over a period of time. I still don't think it is an inspired work but I will have to look into it some more.
Like I said it is not.

• Like 1

Did Letter of Jude quoted Enoch?

It is not clear that Jude quoted Enoch. The article below goes a bit more into detail on this:

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/562-did-jude-quote-from-the-book-of-enoch

The conclusion from the source above states:

"In conclusion, therefore, we must note that the controversy over Jude’s quotation actually is of no vital consequence. First, we simply do not know the immediate source of Jude’s quotation. Second, it does not matter about the immediate source of the quote. Enoch’s original affirmation, and Jude’s subsequent employment of the quote, represent all of the authority that is needed to acknowledge the genuineness of the ancient, holy warning."

Ok. When we see the early canons before the one which finalised our Bible, we can see many of early Church accepted some non canonical books beside the canonicals.

Concerning the Book of Enoch, I would argue:

(1) Jude does not refer to the book of Enoch as Scripture.

(2) In fact the book itself is not mentioned at all in the Bible.

(3) All we have is one reference to one prophecy by Enoch in Jude. This cannot be considered an endorsement of the whole book.

(4) Paul quotes the Greek philosopher Menander in Acts 17:28 and the Greek philosopher Epimenides in Titus 1:12. If all that is needed for a work to be considered Scripture is to quote it, then Menander and Epimenides surely qualify but I don't anyone believes that.

• Like 1

Concerning the Book of Enoch, I would argue:

(1) Jude does not refer to the book of Enoch as Scripture.

(2) In fact the book itself is not mentioned at all in the Bible.

(3) All we have is one reference to one prophecy by Enoch in Jude. This cannot be considered an endorsement of the whole book.

(4) Paul quotes the Greek philosopher Menander in Acts 17:28 and the Greek philosopher Epimenides in Titus 1:12. If all that is needed for a work to be considered Scripture is to quote it, then Menander and Epimenides surely qualify but I don't anyone believes that.

Great points. I agree.