The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
TonyT

Prayer Requests for TonyT

Hello, I need pray for an externship I am on because it is hard to pray during the time that I am on it since I am working. Thank You and God Bless.

• Like 2

Please pray for me to be diligent and only say good things to other people and about other people.

• Like 3

I will pray that God will help you to control your speech so you will only say what he wants you to say.

• Like 3

Everyone is responsible for his/ her actions and words. Think twice before you speak. There's a verse that says -- Whatever you do - in word or deed - do all to the glory of God..

• Like 2

There's a poem I grew kinda fond of:

If you are tempted to reveal

A tale to you someone has told

About another, make it pass,

Before you speak, three gates of gold;

These narrow gates. First, “Is it true?”

Then, “Is it needful?” In your mind

Give truthful answer. And the next

Is last and narrowest, “Is it kind?”

And if to reach your lips at last

It passes through these gateways three,

Then you may tell the tale, nor fear

What the result of speech may be.

by Beth Day (1835)

God bless,

William

• Like 5

Amy Carmichael (55 years a Protestant missionary in India) said something remarkably similar. She probably got the idea for it from Beth Day's poem!

quote-let-nothing-be-said-about-anyone-unless-it-passes-through-the-three-sieves-is-it-true-amy-carmichael-88-8-0821.jpg.14e81baa5c08f03adfaab9ae40aea2e9.jpg

• Like 3

Amy Carmichael (55 years a Protestant missionary in India) said something remarkably similar. She probably got the idea for it from Beth Day's poem!

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tquote-let-nothing-be-said-about-anyone-unless-it-passes-through-the-three-sieves-is-it-true-amy-carmichael-88-8-0821.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t58.3 KB ID:\t44346","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"44346","data-size":"full","title":"quote-let-nothing-be-said-about-anyone-unless-it-passes-through-the-three-sieves-is-it-true-amy-carmichael-88-8-0821.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

India? That explains it:

“Before you speak, let your words pass through three gates:

At the first gate, ask yourself “Is is true?”

At the second gate ask, “Is it necessary?”

At the third gate ask, “Is it kind?”

~ Rumi

Rumi was from India. And I believe he lived in the 1200s. Haven't verified his date of birth and death.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Everyone is responsible for his/ her actions and words. Think twice before you speak. There's a verse that says -- Whatever you do - in word or deed - do all to the glory of God..

Hi Tony, I agree with Sue and with what 1 Corinthians 10:31 says (of course ;)), you need to pray and consider what you're about to say before you say it. As for what else the Bible has to say, this is the principle verse that I keep in mind for that very purpose, because if what you choose to say passes this test, I can't imagine that your words will ever get you into trouble again!

Ephesians 4

29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.

Praying for you!

In Christ,

David

Matthew 7

12 However you want people to treat you, so treat them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Edited by David Lee
  • Like 2

Hi, Tony, I think you are a man with a good soul otherwise you would not ask us something like this. It did happen to me too, I am a good person and I try to help the other people, but the people around me don't treat me the same, I don't know why....but when I have difficulties, and a lot of problems they start to laugh about me or just treat me really ugly. In moments like this, I'm thinking just like you, I hope to say good things about them, and love these people. When we are hit, and we are down is very difficult to treat others with respect and love.

I will pray for you, my friend to find the right way and the right words!

• Like 2

Hi, Tony, I think you are a man with a good soul otherwise you would not ask us something like this. It did happen to me too, I am a good person and I try to help the other people, but the people around me don't treat me the same, I don't know why....but when I have difficulties, and a lot of problems they start to laugh about me or just treat me really ugly. In moments like this, I'm thinking just like you, I hope to say good things about them, and love these people. When we are hit, and we are down is very difficult to treat others with respect and love.

I will pray for you, my friend to find the right way and the right words!

Those people are probably acting that way Because you Are trying to be a good person. Christian people aren't supposed to Have problems in the first place --supposedly-- So --when we Do -- it won't be Fun.

• Like 1

Please pray for me because at times I feel tempted to sin for the sake of the things I want or if I do not get my way. Please pray that that never happens. Please pray that I never sin against God or against other human beings.

• Like 4

Hi Tony How long have you been a believer. ( saved ) Your request is a worthy one. Do you attend any Bible studies on a regular basis.

Father God please keep this lust far from,Tony,many wiles tempt us all each day and we must remember that through Jesus we can resist such wiles and do right for you God,in Jesus's holy name I humbly pray,AMEN.

• Like 1

Father God I pray unto to you,to guide,Tony T,to not only speak well of others but have no hate in his heart for many mock your servants because they like to make a name for themselves,through such iniquity,and bring to reminder scripture as well to,Tony T,for him to reflect on to grasp why others treat him so dismally and that he has chosen correctly and wisely to ask for prayer for in the bible it is written"anger but sin not" so keep him from acting toward such hateful mocking,instead guide him to say good things or if necessary for him to not speak toward them,"for a foolish man speaketh his mind,a wiseman holdeth his peace",in Jesus's holy name I humbly pray,AMEN.

Sometimes I get into the bad habit of saying things to myself instead of praying to God. Please pray that this bad habit and sin is stopped.

Sometimes I get into the bad habit of saying things to myself instead of praying to God. Please pray that this bad habit and sin is stopped.

Tony such things are normal,in fact many times when you speak in your head you speak to God,and while yes certain thoughts are sins,everyone's minds have random thoughts,it's just another thing we deal with,I too have this problem with a detailed memory,but I'm not about to lie and tell you that it goes away,what I can pray for though is that God have you focus on as many righteous thoughts as possible,such as thinking upon scripture,or playing a church song in your head,or anything that you may have witnessed that is innocent or child like.....

Father God please help,Tony T,by channeling his thoughts toward things of holiness,innocence,or child like memories,"All" face this,some frequently some not so frequently,but I do know that you God can guide us when we are in need of a way to keep from sinful behaviour,thoughts being one of the more tough things in our lives to cope with,day in day out,but the more we strive to do right for you God eventually righteous thoughts can out weigh sinful thoughts,so as that we can look toward our future with you God,in Jesus's holy name I humbly pray,AMEN.

• Like 2

I think to a degree our thoughts are not as random as we'd like to think they are. There is a certain amount of accountability on our part. We can't subject ourselves to unholy media of any type such as tv, music, reading, pictures etc and then wonder why we have unholy thoughts.

When I first became Christian I was tremendously bothered by these things. I would even wake up from dreaming with the feeling of guilt for what I dreamt. How can I be responsible for what I dream, I said. As an exercise, I cut out just about all forms of media, cancelled my television subscription, paid attention to the type of music I listened to if any, and also focused my mind on Scripture as my media to read, in other words, I seriously filtered out what was entering my mind.

After a few of months, through a journal I used to keep, there was a positive observation. My dreams and random thoughts throughout the day were affected. They began taking upon themselves a central theme, they were set upon God's word, and my every waking moment began to be reminiscent of Christian meditation, devotions, and prayer. My journal took upon a new personal view which had little to no resemblance of the former man's perspective.

Hope this may help.

God bless,

William

• Like 3

Please pray that no matter what happens, that I support everything that is of the One True God of the Bible and His People (things from His People that is the truth of God) no matter what.

Please pray for me that all my prayers are directed to the One True God of the Holy Bible and that He is the only God who I worship. I am worried about praying to someone else who I am not supposed to. Please pray against any of that evil stuff happening.

• Like 1

I feel your anguish Tony T, & I extend my hand in prayer, God tells us to pray for the unworthy and He will bless you for it! He says that the ones who fall short of His word, need more prayer! You are on the right track to salvation and praying for "someone else you are not supposed to" I think you are very honorable to extend the prayer to someone in need of it!! Having an open heart for those in need, says a LOT for your true character!

I don't think it's possible to accidentally pray to the wrong entity. When you pray -- address Him directly -- start out 'Dear heavenly Father' or how ever you feel comfortable addressing Him. The Holy Spirit knows what's in your heart when you pray. And when you're finished sharing your thoughts / feelings with God, you can close by saying -- 'In Jesus name, I pray, Amen".

I get really worried and nervous when I hear about certain things in the Bible. This is interfering with my functioning in life please pray that it goes away.

I get really worried and nervous when I hear about certain things in the Bible.
What things?

Edited by Origen

Tony, I pray that it goes away.

Messianic Jews and Christians both embrace the entire Hebrew Bible and the New Testament as Spirit-inspired Holy Writ. Messianic Jewish people embrace their Jewish heritage, while believing that Yeshua is the Messiah, the promised Redeemer of Israel and all of mankind.

The key passages in the NT are in Romans 10:8-13, Romans 8:1, Ephesians 2:8-9, John 5:24, John 3:16-17, and others.

Can you find, in the NT, scripture that assures you that G-d is forever with you, and that one day you will meet our Savior, Jesus, face-to-face?

We alleviate our fears by placing our life within His Embrace.

:RpS_love:

Please pray for my father and I. I am worried that we are going to commit an unpardonable sin against God. Please pray against that ever happening for the both of us.