The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
CDF47

[POLL] Should Christians Rest and Keep Holy the Sabbath Day?

[POLL] Should Christians Rest and Keep Holy the Sabbath Day?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. [POLL] Should Christians Rest and Keep Holy the Sabbath Day?

• Yes
    • No

Just as a note, God's word is all that matters and this is just a poll to see where people stand on this. I am struggling with the question myself but I believe we should observe the Sabbath. Both sides make some good arguments whenever this is discussed.

It's no longer law that we must keep the Sabbath, but it benefits us to set aside a day to rest, study, have fellowship, and worship. Yet we should worship God and study the bible every day.

We arent under the Sabbath law of the old testament anymore as Christ is our new Sabbath.

Romans 14:5. One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his mind.

• Like 5

It's no longer law that we must keep the Sabbath, but it benefits us to set aside a day to rest, study, have fellowship, and worship. Yet we should worship God and study the bible every day.

We arent under the Sabbath law of the old testament anymore as Christ is our new Sabbath.

Romans 14:5. One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his mind.

Great response. That is why I worded the question as should rather than must.

• Like 1

75 percent yes to 25 percent no in the poll. This is similar to a poll on the Christianforums which was 70 percent yes to 30 percent no. I believe a Christian should keep the Sabbath Day holy as part of the moral law but does not have to for salvation which comes by grace through faith in Jesus.

• Like 1

CDF47, I could not vote either way. As a Christian I rest on the LORD's Day which is now Sunday. For those who work on Sunday you according to Scripture we need a day of worship, prayer and rest. After Sunday School & Worship we go home or visit family and rest, no work. To do other wise for me is something I do not prefer to do. At times due to a roof coming off or a water pipe freezing or a flood under our house because of 9 inches of rain in one day, we try to rest. Being a mature (older guy) rest is real nice.

Justme

• Like 1

CDF47, I could not vote either way. As a Christian I rest on the LORD's Day which is now Sunday. For those who work on Sunday you according to Scripture we need a day of worship, prayer and rest. After Sunday School & Worship we go home or visit family and rest, no work. To do other wise for me is something I do not prefer to do. At times due to a roof coming off or a water pipe freezing or a flood under our house because of 9 inches of rain in one day, we try to rest. Being a mature (older guy) rest is real nice.

Justme

I understand emergencies happen. I believe the Lord's Day is the Sabbath Day of Friday sundown to Saturday sundown, not Sunday, though. I don't think the Sabbath Day should have ever changed and I believe it is part of Daniel's prophecy that the little horn would think to change the times and laws of God.

If you think Christians should but not must rest on the Sabbath Day, you could vote yes, if that is how you feel. It is worded as "Should" in the title on purpose and again this is just a poll to see where Christians stand on this highly debated topic. If not, that is fine as well. Thanks for the input.

• Like 2

DCF47; I respect if someone wants to hold to the Sabbath laws. But it involves much more that just Sun down Friday till Saturday Sun down . I believe the RESt is the basic thing behind it all, not religious legalism, IMO.

justme

• Like 1

DCF47; I respect if someone wants to hold to the Sabbath laws. But it involves much more that just Sun down Friday till Saturday Sun down . I believe the RESt is the basic thing behind it all, not religious legalism, IMO.

justme

I understand that take and the logic behind it. I just believe all 10 commandments of the moral law are written on the heart.

• Like 2

I understand that take and the logic behind it. I just believe all 10 commandments of the moral law are written on the heart.

In witnessing I think we must go back to the 10 Commandments so people can understand what sin is and how they have failed and need Gods Grace and Jesus is the way to become right with God. Yes we are still to obey the 10 Commandments today.

When someone tells me that we are no longer to keep them, I ask which one should we not keep? The real issue is each and every Commandment is how we should live our daily lives.

jusyme

• Like 3

Since the discussion wants to drift into Saturday vs Sunday ...

The commandment in Exodus 20:8-11 states that the seventh day of the week, Saturday, is the day which the Lord selected as the day of rest and worship. However, in the New Testament the Christian church began to worship and rest on the first day of the week, Sunday. Are most Christians violating the Sabbath commandment by worshipping on the first day of the week rather than the seventh day? I do not think so.

A Pattern of Rest and Work

The basis for the command to observe the Sabbath, as stated in Exodus 20:11, is that God rested on the seventh day after six days of work, and that God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it. The Sabbath day was instituted as a day of rest and worship. The people of God were to follow God's example in His pattern of work and rest.

However, as Jesus said in correcting the distorted Sabbath view of the Pharisees,

“The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath.”

—Mark 2:27

The point Jesus made is that the Sabbath was not instituted to enslave people, but to benefit them. The spirit of Sabbath observance is continued in the New Testament observance of rest and worship on the first day of the week.

And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.

—Acts 20:7

Now about the collection for God's people: Do what I told the Galatian churches to do. On the first day of every week, each one of you should set aside a sum of money in keeping with his income, saving it up, so that when I come no collections will have to be made.

—1 Corinthians 16:1-2

A shadow of the redemption, a symbol

It must be remembered that, according to Colossians 2:17, the Sabbath was "a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ." The Sabbath observance was associated with redemption in Deuteronomy 5:15 where Moses stated, "Remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day."

The Sabbath was a shadow of the redemption that would be provided in Christ. It symbolized the rest from our works and an entrance into the rest of God provided by His finished work.

The New Testament

Although the moral principles expressed in the commandments are reaffirmed in the New Testament, the command to set Saturday apart as a day of rest and worship is the only commandment not repeated. There are very good reasons for this.

• New Testament believers are not under the Old Testament Law (Romans 6:14; Galatians 3:24-25; 2 Corinthians 3:7, 11, 13; Hebrews 7:12).
  • By Christ's resurrection on the first day of the week (Matthew 28:1), His continued appearances on succeeding Sundays (John 20:26), and the descent of the Holy Spirit on Sunday (Acts 2:1), the early church was given the pattern of Sunday worship.
  • The early church met on Sunday regularly (Acts 20:7; 1 Corinthians 16:2).
  • Sunday worship was further hallowed by our Lord who appeared to John in that last great vision on "the Lord's day" (Revelation 1:10).

It is for these reasons that most Christians worship on Sunday, rather than on the Jewish Sabbath.

from Dr Ron Rhodes: Why do most Christians worship on Sunday when the Old Testament commandment sets apart Saturday as the day of worship?

My goal is not to emphasize a Sunday Sabbath. I was thinking more along the lines of ...

Colossians 2:16-17 NASB Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day — things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

That depends. I say that because my current situation sees me going to Church on Sunday morning and then clocking into work Sunday afternoon. If you're able to rest on Sundays, then you should do so, but if you work at an occupation that requires your presence on Sundays, you'll have to do what you can to accommodate both church and work. Every morning, I do my morning prayers, Bible reading, make an impromptu one on one prayer to God and then I study a part of the Lutheran Confessions. Different people might have different disciplines. The Third Commandment is still binding, just like the rest of the Law, but as we can't keep that Law without the Presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives ( and as Jesus kept the Law for us), we have the comfort of the Gospel. Every days should be regarded as holy, but whenever possible, we should meet together with our fellow Christians for worship and fellowship on the day customarily appointed for that purpose, which is Sunday.

• Like 2

In witnessing I think we must go back to the 10 Commandments so people can understand what sin is and how they have failed and need Gods Grace and Jesus is the way to become right with God. Yes we are still to obey the 10 Commandments today.

When someone tells me that we are no longer to keep them, I ask which one should we not keep? The real issue is each and every Commandment is how we should live our daily lives.

jusyme

I agree.

• Like 2

Since the discussion wants to drift into Saturday vs Sunday ...

from Dr Ron Rhodes: Why do most Christians worship on Sunday when the Old Testament commandment sets apart Saturday as the day of worship?

My goal is not to emphasize a Sunday Sabbath. I was thinking more along the lines of ...

Colossians 2:16-17 NASB Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day — things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

I believe the Sabbath day should have never been changed to Sunday. I believe that is part of Daniel's prophecy that the little horn will think to change the times and laws of God. I believe the Lord's Day is the Saturday Sabbath Day.

• Like 1

Our Pastor Dr. Jeffery Landis recently gave a sermon on this subject (Orthodox Presbyterian Church).

• Like 2

I believe the Sabbath day should have never been changed to Sunday. I believe that is part of Daniel's prophecy that the little horn will think to change the times and laws of God. I believe the Lord's Day is the Saturday Sabbath Day.

Perhaps, but Jesus was Resurrected on a Sunday, appeared before the Apostles and Thomas on Sunday, and the Holy Spirit was received on Pentecost (Sunday), so Sunday is not a day without significance (setting aside the more debatable Bible references).

I believe that it is important to set aside 1 day in 7 for rest and God, but if you need to work on weekends, then make it Wednesday if that is your mid-week service.

• Like 2

Our Pastor Dr. Jeffery Landis recently gave a sermon on this subject (Orthodox Presbyterian Church).

I just don't think any of the scriptures referenced or any other scripture that show a change the Sabbath Day from Saturday to Sunday. I believe the Lord's Day is the Sabbath Day of Saturday. I know we are not to judge each other on Sabbaths so I do not do that but I think this change wasn't to happen.

The little horn is the RCC I believe. Daniel said the little horn would think to change the times and laws. They changed the law by changing around the Ten Commandments and I believe they changed the times by making Sunday the new Sabbath Day rather than Saturday. Is there another change the RCC made which could account for the times change that you know of?

Perhaps, but Jesus was Resurrected on a Sunday, appeared before the Apostles and Thomas on Sunday, and the Holy Spirit was received on Pentecost (Sunday), so Sunday is not a day without significance (setting aside the more debatable Bible references).

I believe that it is important to set aside 1 day in 7 for rest and God, but if you need to work on weekends, then make it Wednesday if that is your mid-week service.

I understand but the Sabbath Day is still Friday sundown - Saturday sundown. Even the RCC acknowledges this fact. Jewish people rest and keep holy the Sabbath Day but they added too many rules to the word rest.

For me I would prefer not to dialogue about this any longer. You have stared your reason, and as I see it made your point quite well.. Beyond this it would just be argumentative, which would violate the principal of Christian love. Blessings CDF47

justme

• Like 2

For me I would prefer not to dialogue about this any longer. You have stared your reason, and as I see it made your point quite well.. Beyond this it would just be argumentative, which would violate the principal of Christian love. Blessings CDF47

justme

That sounds good to me.

I think if more people really understood what the Sabbath is they would find it a joy and a delight to observe it, instead of thinking it's some sort of religious duty. Not only is it a sign that God sanctifies us (Exodus 31:13), but it is also a time to rest and reflect on God's creative (Genesis 2:2,3) and re-creative (Ezekiel 36:26,27) power in us. See Jeremiah 31:33. There are some really good points made in this topic, especially the idea that if the law is somehow done away with, which ones should we break? we should not murder? should not steal? should not commit adultery? Yet somehow we think the Sabbath is the least of the commandments and therefore unnecessary. See Matthew 5:19. God bless!

• Like 2

Below is a good commentary from a poster on another site regarding keeping the Sabbath day:

https://www.christianforums.com/threads/col-2-14-17-the-real-truth-from-gods-word.8021854/

I just registered at Christianforums and now my E-mail is inundated with junk mail from there.

I just got an advertisement ffrom a Christian loan company just two days an=fter I registered. I would not bring up any links to that site that might draw people to there and have them go through what I am now. Sorry, but I hate this stuff.

God Did rest from His creative work on the Sabbath. And Jesus Christ rose from the dead on the 1st day of the week -- as the Gospels indicate. After the Sabbath , on the 1st day of the week, He was risen. That's why lots of churches worship on Sunday rather than Saturday. In honor of The Lord's Day --making the Lord's Day special. And there Is that passage that says to take a day out of the week and worship God. As long as it doesn't become a ' good work' unto a person's salvation.

• Like 1

I just registered at Christianforums and now my E-mail is inundated with junk mail from there.

I just got an advertisement ffrom a Christian loan company just two days an=fter I registered. I would not bring up any links to that site that might draw people to there and have them go through what I am now. Sorry, but I hate this stuff.

Sorry to hear that. I won't quote them anymore.

God Did rest from His creative work on the Sabbath. And Jesus Christ rose from the dead on the 1st day of the week -- as the Gospels indicate. After the Sabbath , on the 1st day of the week, He was risen. That's why lots of churches worship on Sunday rather than Saturday. In honor of The Lord's Day --making the Lord's Day special. And there Is that passage that says to take a day out of the week and worship God. As long as it doesn't become a ' good work' unto a person's salvation.

I believe the Lord's Day as referred to one time in the Bible is referring to the Sabbath Day of the Lord. I believe the one day out of the week to worship God is to be the Sabbath Day. The Sabbath Day is part of the Law or the Ten Commandments worshiping on Sunday is not.