The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
motirattan

Miracles in other religions

In the gospels, we can see that Jesus performed various miracles.

But what about those miracles performed in other religions, some say even now. What will you say about it? My classmate was making a point for Hinduism by this news:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/american-mathematicians-solve-ramanujans-deathbed-puzzle/article4253593.ece

Even to this date, people in India say and claim that their gurus are doing miracles. What will y'all say about it?

Many Hindus quote that whole science, atomic structure,most of the streams of maths ,etc were already mentioned in the Vedas and Gita. They often make a point for their faith in this way. My classmate say that Britishers when we're ruling in India destroyed most of the ancient knowledge in order to present a picture of India to be uncivilised , undeveloped, and dependent. So, all this is tempting to me.

Satan has the power to perform miracles. When Moses showed Moses the power of God the magicians of Egypt were able to duplicate some of the signs.

Then Pharaoh summoned the wise men and the sorcerers, and they, the magicians of Egypt, also did the same by their secret arts. For each man cast down his staff, and they became serpents. But Aaron's staff swallowed up their staffs. (Exodus 7:11,12)

When the Antichrist appears he will perform miracles.

The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. (2 Thessalonians 2:9,10)

• Like 1

Most of the answers I receive are that that other religions are the work of the Devil without proving why their isn't. Don't take it wrong but I'm searching for answers

What makes all other religions false and Christianity true except for theology?

God sent his son, Jesus, into the world as a human to die as a sacrifice for our sins. The resurrection of Jesus proves that he was who he said he was and that God has accepted his sacrifice. What other founder of a religion died and rose from the dead? Other religions make claims of people dying and rising again but they don't give enough information about when and where these resurrections took place for us to check their accuracy. Jesus lived in a geographic area which we know about and he lived at a specific point in history. We can check the information we have about him to see how accurate it is.

Other founders of religion, such as Muhammad and Joseph Smith, lived in historical times so we know about their lives, but their followers don't claim that they died and came back from the dead. Jesus was unique in what he did and in the fact that we can check the claims he made.

• Like 2

We can check the information we have......

This also includes OT history, geography, etc., and in particular, fulfilled prophesy (much of it written about the Lord Jesus, in fact).

I was reading on internet that empty tomb is accepted by 75% scholars. Those who don't say that early Christians believed in spiritual resurrection. Some even say that there was a constant clash or war between Christian Gnostics and normal Christians.

When thinking of former fundamental Christian Bart Ehrman, why he left Christianity?

He was a fundamentalist but after becoming scholar, now testifies that Christianity is false.

I was reading on internet that empty tomb is accepted by 75% scholars. Those who don't say that early Christians believed in spiritual resurrection. Some even say that there was a constant clash or war between Christian Gnostics and normal Christians.

What is a "Christian" Gnostic?

When thinking of former fundamental Christian Bart Ehrman, why he left Christianity?

He was a fundamentalist but after becoming scholar, now testifies that Christianity is false.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Bart Ehrman, but you might want to consider these verses/passages that were written concerning people like him .. 1 John 2:19, Matthew 7:22-23, Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43.

Yours and His,

David

John 17

3 This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

This will give you comparison between Gnostic Christianity and Mainstream Christianity:

https://www.gotquestions.org/amp/Christian-gnosticism.html

Thanks, I'll take a look :RpS_smile:

I guess my overall point was to question whether such a thing can be, IOW, a "Christian" Gnostic, since what Gnosticism teaches is specifically "anti-Christ" according to the Bible.

Yours and His,

David

2 John

7 Many deceivers have gone out into the world,
those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh
. This is the deceiver and the antichrist.

Ahh, and I see that the article you posited for us above (What is Christian Gnosticism?) makes the very same point in its opening paragraph.

Question: "What is Christian Gnosticism?"

Answer:
There is actually no such thing as Christian Gnosticism
, because true Christianity and Gnosticism are mutually exclusive systems of belief. The principles of Gnosticism contradict what it means to be a Christian. Therefore, while some forms of Gnosticism may claim to be Christian, they are in fact decidedly non-Christian.

Thanks again!

--David

• Like 1

I got messed up in Gnosticism for a few years before entering into Christianity. I agree with the article and the statement that Gnosticism is not Christianity.

Another article on the subject: https://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/onsite/gnostics.html

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Bart Ehrman says that simply our form of Christianity over powdered gnostics. But I think from Paul's letters, there presence can be felt. But still we don't have good historic grounds that the apostles taught Gnosticism. But I'm still tryna mingle myself into the question how other religions are false.

Bart Ehrman says that simply our form of Christianity over powdered gnostics. But I think from Paul's letters, there presence can be felt. But still we don't have good historic grounds that the apostles taught Gnosticism. But I'm still tryna mingle myself into the question how other religions are false.

Bart Ehrman is a heretic. And so are Gnostics. https://www.britannica.com/topic/Docetism

The Gnostics were Docetists. They taught that Christ did not really have a material body, but only seemed to have one. It was an appearance, so that he could communicate with men, but was not really there. They went on to say that Jesus was not really born, and did not really suffer or die, but merely appeared to do so. It was in opposition to early Docetists or later Gnostic teachers that the Apostle John wrote (1 John 4:1-3) that anyone who denies that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of antiChrist.

Jesus sought to teach people how to liberate their humanity from the flesh by moving towards the divine light within each person where all truth and freedom exists, says the Gnostic. They continue, Jesus educated His followers by explaining that all humanity is divine just as He is divine, although most humans are blind to it. Jesus was simply a divine being who adapted himself to human perception. Gnostics view Jesus as a great Gnostic teacher and deny His deity and sonship and therefore His entire work (death on the cross and resurrection unto the Father). 1 John begins by dealing with our identity in chapter 3 as children of God and goes on in chapter 4 to attack the false teachings that did not “[acknowledge] that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh from God”. Interestingly, as we continue to read from verse 7 to the end of the chapter we see Scripture clearly explaining what it means to truly know God and how that must start with love, action, and the Spirit. John is making a direct attack on the “special knowledge” that seems to have found an elite intellectual or righteous level and brings it down to a practical expression – almost resonating as a call that religion isn’t meant to be lofty it is meant to be real and it begins with understanding who we are, who Christ is, why the Father sent Him, what He has done for us, and what the Spirit continues to do in us.

The first epistle indicates that the readers were confronted with the error of gnosticism, which became a more serious problem in the second century. As a philosophy of religion it held that matter is evil and spirit is good. The solution to the tension between these two was knowledge, or gnosis, through which man rose from the mundane to the spiritual. In the gospel message, this led to two false theories concerning the person of Christ, Docetism—regarding the human Jesus as a ghost—and Cerinthianism—making Jesus a dual personality, at times human and at times divine. The key purpose of 1 John is to set boundaries on the content of faith and to give believers assurance of their salvation.

Key Verses: 1 John 1:9, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

1 John 3:6, "No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him."

1 John 4:4, "You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world."

1 John 5:13, "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life."

The key word is "knowledge," with its related words, occurring at least 13 times in the Book of 1 John.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

OK. So, Gnosticism was present in first century. What motive did they had to pervert the teaching? Was Judaism before Christ influenced by Gnostic thought?

Gnostic gospels came later we know . I was hearing Lee Strobel on Gospel of Thomas that it came after AD 175.

William, do we have good historic ground to say that Jews before Jesus believed in bodily resurrection?

OK. So, Gnosticism was present in first century. What motive did they had to pervert the teaching? Was Judaism before Christ influenced by Gnostic thought?

Gnostic gospels came later we know . I was hearing Lee Strobel on Gospel of Thomas that it came after AD 175.

Were they present in the first century or were they Docetists? I think Gnostics did not follow until later.

God bless,

William

William, do we have good historic ground to say that Jews before Jesus believed in bodily resurrection?

I would search the Old Testament. Probably the book of Isaiah which was written before Christ's coming some 6 to 7 hundred years beforehand. Remember, not all Israel is Israel. There were unbelieving Jews then and now. I think that's the wrong direction to investigate. Our concern is what the faithful remnant of Israel believes.

Edit: Here's a good starter - https://www.gotquestions.org/death-r...n-Messiah.html

God bless,

William

OK. Then it mean it was earlier not fully Gnostic but developed completely by second century.

• Like 1

I was also reading things that were saying Jesus is borrowed from Mithras,etc. What will you say about them?

• Like 1

I was also reading things that were saying Jesus is borrowed from Mithras,etc. What will you say about them?

All these people that are making these allegations are unbelievers. They are doing nothing more than distracting you from the true faith. My advice, find and stick with early reformers. Focus on theology rather than religious discussions.

God bless,

William

• Like 3