The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Chris1234

Christians with Mental Illness

Hello,

I am new to this site. I introduced myself on your "Welcome Mat."

I struggle with mental illness, and it has caused lots of problems in my life. My wife left me, which made me bitter. I have been through a lot of counseling. I listen to Christian radio.

I don't understand why a loving Father would thrust His unsuspecting children into an evil, fallen world, expect them to (finally, after perhaps much pain) find their way to Him, and expect them to feel undeserving of His mercy? I would not my earthly father to treat me like that. I realize trials lead to character development, but when one checks oneself into a psychiatric hospital like I did (again) recently, that's a sign that God did indeed give me too much to handle. Also, I would not want to treat my 11 year-old son that way either.

I don't wish to offend anyone by the above. Also, I read the rules of this Site, and I hope the following is not against the rules. (I also emailed 2 Christian forum websites (this was pfobably one of them) to ask permission to post the following, but didn't hear back.

Would you please consider making a financial donation on my gofundme link; I am really in need and moving closer to eviction. Here is the link:

gofundme.com/family-needs-help-w-rent-etc

Hello,

I struggle with mental illness, and it has caused lots of problems in my life. My wife left me, which made me bitter. I have been through a lot of counseling. I listen to Christian radio.

I don't understand why a loving Father would thrust His unsuspecting children into an evil, fallen world, expect them to (finally, after perhaps much pain) find their way to Him, and expect them to feel undeserving of His mercy? I would not my earthly father to treat me like that. I realize trials lead to character development, but when one checks oneself into a psychiatric hospital like I did (again) recently, that's a sign that God did indeed give me too much to handle. Also, I would not want to treat my 11 year-old son that way either.

I don't wish to offend anyone by the above. Also, I read the rules of this Site, and I hope the following is not against the rules. (I also emailed 2 Christian forum websites (this was pfobably one of them) to ask permission to post the following, but didn't hear back.

Would you please consider making a financial donation on my gofundme link; I am really in need and moving closer to eviction. Here is the link:

Below is some good information on this topic:

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/evilandsuffering.html

http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/criticisms_evil_suffering.html

There was a man walking down the road and saw a shepard carrying a sheep to a pond and holding it up while it drank. So the man went up to the shepard and said " wow, you must really love that sheep!" The shepard replied " I love this my sheep very much and all I have to to keep them alive.". Then the man asked " How did its legs get broken?" The shepard replied " I broke its legs." The man was confused, he asked " Why would you break its legs if you love it so much?" The shepard replied " My sheep grow very close to me because I carry them and feed them and bring them to water. They reley on me to live and never leave my side. If I let them wander they would get lost and be eaten by wolves."

We Christians are the sheep in this story and Christ is the shepard. If we had an easy life never having our legs broken we wouldn't know how much we really need to walk with our shepard Christ.

• Like 4

With all due respect, and I only read a small part of your links, the arguments seem very weak and, frankly, disrespectful. To say that the loss of life on September 11th was only a fraction of what it could be is just downright wrong. Try telling that to a little girl who prayed with her daddy that morning, only to later learn he died. The argument is easy fuel for atheists.

If there really is no God, the way the world is now is how I could picture it being with no (loving) God.

With all due respect, and I only read a small part of your links, the arguments seem very weak and, frankly, disrespectful. To say that the loss of life on September 11th was only a fraction of what it could be is just downright wrong. Try telling that to a little girl who prayed with her daddy that morning, only to later learn he died. The argument is easy fuel for atheists.

If there really is no God, the way the world is now is how I could picture it being with no (loving) God.

I think he presents some great arguments.

There is a God. The universe is fine-tuned to unimaginable degrees and is super-symmetrical. DNA is so specified and complex it is absolutely incredible. For a bit more information below are a 3 minute video on DNA and a longer video:

Hello,

Additionally, illness is sometimes due to sin, sometimes due to ancestoral sin, sometimes to show the glory of God through healings,...

Edit: I should add, sometimes it is caused by the enemy.

Edited by CDF47

I think he presents some great arguments.

I see nothing wrong with the arguments.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

What does Scripture say? 911 brings to mind what Amos asks, in time of disaster, "Does disaster come to a city, unless the Lord has done it?" Amos 3:6.

• God "works all things after the counsel of his will" Ephesians 1:11.
  • This "all things" includes the fall of sparrows Matthew 10:29,
  • the rolling of dice Proverbs 16:33,
  • the slaughter of his people Psalm 44:11,
  • the decisions of kings Proverbs 21:1,
  • the failing of sight Exodus 4:11,
  • the sickness of children 2 Samuel 12:15,
  • the loss and gain of money 1 Samuel 2:7,
  • the suffering of saints 1 Peter 4:19,
  • the completion of travel plans James 4:15,
  • the persecution of Christians Hebrews 12:4-7,
  • the repentance of souls 2 Timothy 2:25,
  • the gift of faith Philippians 1:29,
  • the pursuit of holiness Philippians 3:12-13,
  • the growth of believers Hebrews 6:3,
  • the giving of life and the taking in death 1 Samuel 2:6,
  • and the crucifixion of his Son Acts 4:27-28.
  • From the smallest thing to the greatest thing, good and evil, happy and sad, pagan and Christian, pain and pleasure - God governs them all for His wise and just and good purposes Isaiah 46:10. Lest we miss the point, the Bible speaks most clearly to this in the most painful situations.
  • After losing all ten of his children in the collapse of his son's house, Job says, "The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away. Blessed be the name of the LORD" Job 1:21.
  • After being covered with boils he says, "Shall we receive good from God, and shall we not receive evil?" Job 2:10.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

According to the Bible God created the Garden of Eden for mankind, allowed free will, and mankind committed Original Sin. Many of the evils in the world come from that. While it may not be fair for someone to suffer the consequences of their distant ancestors' action, it does happen: if a nuclear reactor blows up due to maintenance failures the fallout will take thousands of years to clear. If the fallout was removed instantly, why would anyone take steps to stop it happening again?

God may not give you mare than you can handle, but other people and the world in general will. But God will help with your burdens, and if you ask him the help will be available. Some of that help may be a mental health clinic having space when you realise you need it, or a shoulder to cry on, a sudden stroke of luck, or a reduced bill.

I disagree with William slightly because I don't think God had much to do with 9/11 or terrorism in general aside from shaking his head in sorrow at what we do to each other and reducing the impact without blocking the action of free will. As the Bible tells us, God's wrath when it comes destroys entire cities, not buildings. I know people who survived, but if the attack had been timed it later in the day it would have been much much worse. After 7/7 in London, one common topic of conversation was that they hit the wrong stations. If they'd hit the hubs the death tolls would have been in the hundreds or more.

Originally posted by Chris1234

I don't understand why a loving Father would thrust His unsuspecting children into an evil, fallen world, expect them to (finally, after perhaps much pain) find their way to Him, and expect them to feel undeserving of His mercy?

God never did any of that. Adam and Eve lived in a paradise and rejected Gods' instruction. We (their offspring) are responsible for not teaching our children about God. Any mistreatment we suffer in this world is due to either our own sin or the sins of others by the influence of evil spirits.

Hello,

You can message me anytime brother.. I understand your concerns.. I've also had my fair share of misfortune & had doubts of life and religion..

with regards to mental illness.. Unfortunately even on a welcoming Christian forum members still judge & use your weakness as a weapon for attack for when they lose a debate.. So I wouldn't say too much here.. There are however lots of mental health forums where people may be more understanding.

Welcome

I suffered from mental illness years ago until I began following Jesus, forgiving others as He forgave me and loving people who don't really care about me, as Jesus gave example. I think my problem was really spiritual illness because my mental illness disappeared.

"Commit thy works unto the Lord and thy thoughts shall be established." Pro.16:3

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." 2 Tim.1:7

• Like 2

Hello,

Chris1234. Thank you for sharing with us your problems. I read you are a Baptist, are you involved in a church? Have you contacted the church you go with your need for help before being evicted? In the community where you live is there a Community mental health place where you can go for health? Do you have the medication you need and are you taken the medication as directed?

You sound discouraged and a bit hopeless and depressed. Have you shared this with your family, and can they help?

I am asking a bunch of questions to help you find some help for yorself. It is not hopeless, and you have options especially with Jesus Christ. I would like to hear more from you. Blessings.

justme