The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
MikeDerksen

Hello from South Florida

Hello everybody and good day! New here and just wanted to say Hello.

My name is Michael or Mike and I live in South Florida just outside Fort Lauderdale. I'm single, 41 years old, work part-time in quality control. Otherwise I'm busy reading and studying and taking care of my health, which takes up much time. I have lung cancer with mets. to the brain, but it sounds worse than it is.

I attend a Presbyterian (PCA) church.

Take care.

• Like 2

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Christforums! Nice to meet another fellow Presbyterian! I am from the OPC.

I am sorry to hear about your cancer. I will keep you in my prayers while looking forward to learning more about you brother.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Hi William,

Nice to meet you. Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to some interesting discussions on here.

Thanks for your prayers. I'm doing very well. Non-toxic treatments.

Have a great Sunday!

Mike

• Like 1

Hi William,

Nice to meet you. Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to some interesting discussions on here.

Thanks for your prayers. I'm doing very well. Non-toxic treatments.

Have a great Sunday!

Mike

You too Mike, hope your Lord's day is wonderful. Three months ago my dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer (liver, lungs, kidneys, and heart). His eye was removed a few years prior from melanoma but fortunately it did not spread to his brain. You are very fortunate to be on non toxic treatments, as I have observed the aggressive nature of the Chemo and Immunotherapy and the adverse effects it has. This has been a truly heart wrenching time in my life to see a beloved family member decline so rapidly in heath.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Welcome here you can discuss with bible smart people and possibly make new friends, hope you like it here!

• Like 2

You too Mike, hope your Lord's day is wonderful. Three months ago my dad was diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer (liver, lungs, kidneys, and heart). His eye was removed a few years prior from melanoma but fortunately it did not spread to his brain. You are very fortunate to be on non toxic treatments, as I have observed the aggressive nature of the Chemo and Immunotherapy and the adverse effects it has. This has been a truly heart wrenching time in my life to see a beloved family member decline so rapidly in heath.

God bless,

William

Hi William,

Not good. I'm sorry to hear that. Like most people I had no idea about cancer and available treatments, so it was really a gift to come across these non-toxic ones. I don't want chemo therapy. So far, thank God, what I'm doing is working.

Is your dad getting better?

Mike

• Like 1

Is your dad getting better?

It is too early to tell. He has gone through one treatment of Chemo, and his second treatment has been delayed. They have him coming back each week to check, but a rash is preventing them from administering another round. He has another appt for Thurs the 27th.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Hi Mike, WELCOME TO CF :RpS_smile: I LOVE Ft. Lauderdale (my grandparents used to live there).

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David

p.s. - praying for you!

• Like 1

It is too early to tell. He has gone through one treatment of Chemo, and his second treatment has been delayed. They have him coming back each week to check, but a rash is preventing them from administering another round. He has another appt for Thurs the 27th.

I wish him all the best getting better. Chemo can be very hard as I've seen. Is he having a good nutrition? Nutrition is very important.

• Like 1

Hi Mike, WELCOME TO CF :RpS_smile: I LOVE Ft. Lauderdale (my grandparents used to live there).

God bless you! (Numbers 6:24-26)

--David

p.s. - praying for you!

Hi David,

Thank you very much, and thank you for the blessing. - It's hot down here :)

I like your quotes at the end.

Mike

• Like 1

I wish him all the best getting better. Chemo can be very hard as I've seen. Is he having a good nutrition? Nutrition is very important.

Thanks, what was a little troubling was the Dr having said at this point diet does not matter.

I mean, I can read that to mean the cancer is too progressed and diet will have no impact.

They gave my dad six months to a year with Chemo.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Thanks, what was a little troubling was the Dr having said at this point diet does not matter.

I mean, I can read that to mean the cancer is too progressed and diet will have no impact.

They gave my dad six months to a year with Chemo.

Oh. That's not good to hear. Did your dad look into other things? The place I went to had people there who had Chemo before. It didn't work for many. They were "prepped up" nutritionally and immune-wise and received a different treatment. - My cancer is stage 4. I feel very good. Not too much energy but otherwise I'm fine. And the cancer is receding. - Everybody is different and needs to be treated differently, but if Chemo is not helping maybe something else will. A sugary diet, bread, refined flour, etc. feeds cancer. It needs to be starved.

Mike

• Like 2

Oh. That's not good to hear. Did your dad look into other things? The place I went to had people there who had Chemo before. It didn't work for many. They were "prepped up" nutritionally and immune-wise and received a different treatment. - My cancer is stage 4. I feel very good. Not too much energy but otherwise I'm fine. And the cancer is receding. - Everybody is different and needs to be treated differently, but if Chemo is not helping maybe something else will. A sugary diet, bread, refined flour, etc. feeds cancer. It needs to be starved.

Mike

The Drs looked into several different treatments, but the genetic testing came back with bad news limiting them to an effective treatment. We had high hopes for the Immunotherapy, but as far as I am aware they are not proceeding with that treatment. Mind you, all of this that I do know is from my parents communicating to me what the doctor conveyed to them. I know sometimes these things can be blurred by emotional impact. If the information is correct, his current treatment was his last hope.

And as for the dietary suggestions, I agree, and I was rather shocked that the Dr would say such thing. I would think diet is extremely important to any recovery. I mean it is just common sense, right?

God bless,

William

• Like 2

And as for the dietary suggestions, I agree, and I was rather shocked that the Dr would say such thing. I would think diet is extremely important to any recovery. I mean it is just common sense, right?

I'm not a health nut, or better: I was not a health nut. Although nobody directly said so, I'm pretty sure my cancer was caused, at least in part, by what I put into my body. Doing that ruined my immune system, which normally takes care of cancer cells without problems. Every person has cancer cells at all times. They just get killed off in healthy people. The idea to be "cancer free" in that sense is not accurate.

I've read so much about this stuff in the last few months. Never thought I would or needed to.

My main oncologist wanted to put me on Chemo right away, possibly radiation. I didn't want that. To me it made no sense. The idea to be kept alive but feeling terrible didn't sit well with me. Maybe I had chosen differently had I felt bad, but I feel good. The only reason I'm being treated is that they know I have it, not because it does anything. (Partially. It was found during a pneumonia caused by the cancer which led to a short operation draining fluid, but since that has been done I'm fine like before, only weaker, and I know I'm pretty much a weed garden inside.)

Why I'm doing this other treatment was really a gift to me. I didn't know about it. I would have just done nothing. But it's an alternative treatment and not conventional, so it's not offered by the doctors I talked to. I had to go to Mexico. It's offered there, as well as in Poland and Germany, but not around here.

Mainly it's about nutrition, including supplements and things. It's not the only treatment they had there. Everybody was different, but the main components were nutrition, detoxification, and whichever therapies / medicines the doctors considered best for you. (They varied from purely diet-based to near infrared to sono-photo to virotherapy to low-dose-chemo, all depending on the person and the type and stage of the cancer.) Apparently it helps people that were told they were not going to live, which was very striking to me.

Mike

• Like 1

Otherwise I'm busy reading and studying and taking care of my health, which takes up much time.

What is your subject of interest - regarding theological studies Mike?

God bless,

William

What is your subject of interest - regarding theological studies Mike?

Hi William,

Hmm, a specific interest? Let me think. There are a few. Right now I'm studying the Protestant Reformation, which is fitting I guess, having the 500th anniversary coming up this October. I'm very interested in Church History. The different Christian traditions are very interesting to me as well. How things developed, why things developed, why certain emphases and not others.

Mike

• Like 1

Hi William,

Hmm, a specific interest? Let me think. There are a few. Right now I'm studying the Protestant Reformation, which is fitting I guess, having the 500th anniversary coming up this October. I'm very interested in Church History. The different Christian traditions are very interesting to me as well. How things developed, why things developed, why certain emphases and not others.

Mike

I just bought a book which commemorates the 500th anniversary while centering on Martin Luther from Ligonier Ministries. I'm saving the book and planning to read it this October.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

I just bought a book which commemorates the 500th anniversary while centering on Martin Luther from Ligonier Ministries. I'm saving the book and planning to read it this October.

Good morning William,

I think I know the book you mean. I've seen it on their website or maybe in an e-mail. Ligonier offers very fine resources. Enjoy the book!

I'm taking a downloaded course from the Teaching Company, "The History of Christianity in the Reformation Era", and I bought a new book I found at Barnes & Noble, "Protestants", by Alec Ryrie. Very, very interesting. It's just nice when things begin to make sense to you :)

Have a great day!

Mike

• Like 1

Hi.

Sounds like you're having a rough time... :(

Hope you can feel better soon.

• Like 2

Hi.

Sounds like you're having a rough time... :(

Hope you can feel better soon.

Thanks. I'm actually feeling pretty good. I have a lot of things to do and take care of, but I'm not viewing it too badly.

Have a nice weekend.

Mike

• Like 1