The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Innerfire89

If you believe, this cup is for you.

I read a similar topic and thought I'd ask who takes the Lords supper in your church and why do you hold to that policy?

wants to roll out all the fill in the blank clutter. jesus knows best sort of type of. take a piece of jesus got us
What? Your comments make no sense. Please speak plainly, clearly, to the point.
  • Like 1

Our church limits access to the Communion table. The access is limited by a verbal fencing and not a physical fencing. Any member of the Church is invited to partake of communion in our church. A member of the Church must have made a verbal profession of faith in a Bible believing church, and also have been baptized. Though children are considered members and received the mark, sign, and seal of the New Covenant through baptism they are considered incommunicable members until they make a profession of faith.

Our Communion is usually accompanied by a reading of 1 Corinthians 11 with emphasis on 11:27, Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty concerning the body and blood of the Lord.

The reading warns and cautions all to examine themselves and is what we consider "verbal fencing".

God bless,

William

What about non members?

We share the same practice when it comes to members and unconfrimed children. Non members are welcomed and 1 Cor. 11:27-29 is always stated beforehand.

• Like 1

For the Church of England it is those confirmed in the church, and those of other Anglican or Catholic faiths who would normally take communion. Those who are unconfirmed may instead request a blessing if they go up. I have heard of churchs that make exceptions or allow others to take communion, but normally such cases have to be discussed with the officient first.

• Like 1

By non member I am assuming you mean a non-catholic? I'd call them attendees. If a person doesn't belong to our particular church but has professed faith in a bible believing church and been baptized they are welcome. They are considered members of the catholic Church.

Our church encourages non members of the catholic (universal) Church to refrain from partaking of communion and to speak to an elder about becoming a member and baptism. Again, this is a verbal fencing.

Historically speaking, I believe Calvin actually physically fenced the table. He observed a group of libertines that would live life throughout the week in an unworthy manner. They would be seen gambling, getting drunk, partaking of sexual immoral acts etc and they'd boldly approach the Communion table on the Lord's day. Calvin actually covered the elements by outstretching his arms fencing it from them. The OPC doesn't go that far.

I am aware that some churches do require good standing to partake of Communion. I think, if memory serves me right that they require a letter of good standing from the elders.

Does your church do anything special for non-catholic attendees?

Note, I'm writing this based on my observation and not according to any church guidelines which they may follow.

God bless,

William

No. We just give the warning of 1 Cor. 11:27-29.