The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Alfred Persson

The Meaning of 666, The Reason for the Riddle

I will prove the following two propositions:

1) 666 is a biblical allusion to a man’s name in the Old Testament: Adonikam.

2) The Holy Spirit inspired this Riddle to strengthen the faith of the generation alive in the End Time that will see Adonikam rise to become the Antichrist Beast.

We solve riddles by heeding its details, and spotting any double entendre hinting at a solution. For example, Samson’s riddle (Judges 14:14) contained the solution, honey eaten from the carcass of a lion (Judges 14:8-9, 18):

So he said to them: “Out of the eater came something to eat, And out of the strong came something sweet.” Now for three days they could not explain the riddle. (
) NKJ

The word “lion” in Hebrew (ʾarî) is almost identical to an Arabic word for “honey” (ʾary).-Wolf, H. (1992). Judges. In F. E. Gaebelein (Ed.), The Expositor’s Bible Commentary: Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 & 2 Samuel (Vol. 3, p. 468). Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan Publishing House.

Lets Solve the 666 Meaning:

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six. (
) KJV

John said 666 is the number OF a man, not the number of a name. That’s double entendre, 666 springs from the man, 666 exists because of what the man is or does, it is not his name in code. We must pay attention to the detail with strictness, John insisted we COUNT to arrive at 666, that is one half of the equation. To solve the riddle we must deduce the missing half of the equation that equals 666 and then determine what man caused that calculation to exist, for it is “OF” him. Therefore Gematria, numerology, symbolic meaning, etc. are completely irrelevant.

Lets review other details to find what else is implied in the wording:

This calls for
wisdom
: let
the one
who has
understanding
calculate the number of the beast, for it is the
number of a man
, and his number is
. (
) ESV

Christians seek wisdom in scripture, therefore John’s call for it must involve the Bible. Adonikam is the only Bible name of a man 666 and a calculation point to that everyone (3588 ὁ ho) understanding the Bible can find. Once directly (Ezra 2:13) and once after a calculation (Neh. 7:18) subtracting Adonikam’s father who must have had the same name, so 667-1=666 still points to Adonikam. The only man directly causing 666 to exist and also the calculation resulting in 666 to exist, is the man Adonikam. As John thus says he is the Beast, 666 is the number OF the Beast also:

The children of Adonikam, six hundred sixty and six. (
) KJV

The children of Adonikam, six hundred threescore and seven. (
) KJV

Having these two verses point to the same name is like having “two witnesses” establishing the matter (Deut. 19:15).

Adonikam alone is the elegant solution, it alone assembles John’s puzzle following all his requirements and still satisfies his expectation anyone with Bible wisdom will discover the one name he had in mind when he penned this riddle.

Not so Kabbalistic Gematria. The pieces just do not fit, and regardless how it is tweaked, so many names are produced it will never satisfy John’s expectation only one name will result and the probability the reader will pick the name John had in mind is infinitesimal.

More at my site:

http://endtimenews.net/666-meaning/

The book of Revelation is very specific -- believers are Not to take the mark / 666 / or they will suffer the wrath of God.

The book of Revelation is very specific -- believers are Not to take the mark / 666 / or they will suffer the wrath of God.

We are in total agreement.

But I do see a worthy reason, it supports the doctrine of providential preservation of scripture. The solution depends upon both 666 and 667 being right, correct. Which means resisting the temptation to reconcile these numbers was the right thing for copyists to do.

That inspires faith in God's word, which will be sorely needed in the end time when apostasy has overtaken Christendom and everything is attacking the trustworthiness of the Bible.

Seeing it nailed the name of the Beast precisely is a must in my opinion, any

"symbolic" interpretation will be laughed at by mockers in the end time.

Im not good at solving riddles. There are other signs that will point to who this man is. The rest will fall into place when he is revealed.

We must be able to discern the times. It closer than we think.

• Like 1

We are in total agreement.

But I do see a worthy reason, it supports the doctrine of providential preservation of scripture. The solution depends upon both 666 and 667 being right, correct. Which means resisting the temptation to reconcile these numbers was the right thing for copyists to do.

That inspires faith in God's word, which will be sorely needed in the end time when apostasy has overtaken Christendom and everything is attacking the trustworthiness of the Bible.

Seeing it nailed the name of the Beast precisely is a must in my opinion, any

"symbolic" interpretation will be laughed at by mockers in the end time.

Where is 667 found in Scripture?

Where is 667 found in Scripture?

In Nehemiah 7:18. My OP wasn't clear, this is better:

The Genitive (“OF”) is the double entendre. 1) 666 is the number OF a man; 2) 666 is the number OF a name (Rev. 13:17); 3) 666 is the number OF the Beast.

The solution:

1a) 666 is OF the man because he has 666 children (Ezr. 2:13).

2a) 666 is OF the name because it generates the equation that results in 666. In Nehemiah 7:18 Adonikam is said to have 667 children, therefore its deducible the list began with Adonikam’s father who must also be named Adonikam. So the “count” or “calculation” which is “OF” this name is 667-1=666, pointing to the same man Adonikam his son (Neh. 7:18).

3a) 666 is OF the Beast because John said so (Rev. 13:18).

) KJV

) KJV

Having these two verses point to the same name is like having “two witnesses” establishing the matter (Deut. 19:15).

As Gematria is irrelevant to two of these “connections”, it cannot solve this riddle.

Im not good at solving riddles. There are other signs that will point to who this man is. The rest will fall into place when he is revealed.

We must be able to discern the times. It closer than we think.

I agree, there will be no mistaking who the Beast is. In fact, I think he will boast he is the prophesied Beast, and dare God to fight him. And many will believe he can defeat God, with his "extraterrestrial" Dragon ally with his fleet of "ufo ships".

The Antichrist doesn't just deny the Father and Son, he denies the very concept of God claiming all the "gods" in history were actually "ancient aliens" and that he, with his extraterrestrial allies is stronger than them all.

36 And the king shall do according to his will; and he shall exalt himself, and magnify himself above every god, and shall speak marvellous things against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the indignation be accomplished: for that that is determined shall be done.

37 Neither shall he regard the God of his fathers, nor the desire of women, nor regard any god: for he shall magnify himself above all.

38 But in his estate shall he honour the God of forces: and a god whom his fathers knew not shall he honour with gold, and silver, and with precious stones, and pleasant things.

39 Thus shall he do in the most strong holds with a strange god, whom he shall acknowledge and increase with glory: and he shall cause them to rule over many, and shall divide the land for gain.

(Dan. 11:36-39 KJV)

In fact, just as God permitted Pharaoh some success (Ex. 7:22), He will permit some of his angels be defeated in battle, to harden the hearts of the apostates:

It grew so big it reached the army of heaven, and it brought about the fall of some of the army and some of the stars to the ground, where it trampled them. (Dan. 8:10 NET)

That is what is meant by his insulting God, his tabernacle and all who dwell in heaven (Rev. 13:7), he opposes the concept of God and exalts himself above them all (2 Thess. 2:4). And the world will believe him, because the appearance of a UFO fleet will seem to prove the ancient alien theory, causing the worldwide apostasy against everything called God or worshiped (2 Thess. 2:3-4).

So even if his name isn't Adonikam, if that is figurative for what he is and not a literal name, there will be no mistaking who this Beast is.

• Like 1

In Nehemiah 7:18. My OP wasn't clear, this is better:

The Genitive (“OF”) is the double entendre. 1) 666 is the number OF a man; 2) 666 is the number OF a name (Rev. 13:17); 3) 666 is the number OF the Beast.

The solution:

1a) 666 is OF the man because he has 666 children (Ezr. 2:13).

2a) 666 is OF the name because it generates the equation that results in 666. In Nehemiah 7:18 Adonikam is said to have 667 children, therefore its deducible the list began with Adonikam’s father who must also be named Adonikam. So the “count” or “calculation” which is “OF” this name is 667-1=666, pointing to the same man Adonikam his son (Neh. 7:18).

3a) 666 is OF the Beast because John said so (Rev. 13:18).

) KJV

) KJV

As Gematria is irrelevant to two of these “connections”, it cannot solve this riddle.

I was just looking up the passages -- they are correct -- the number of his children being 666, etc.

Obviously your free to have your opinion.

Is it possible that sometime a person makes riddles out of things that don't especially have to be riddles. And maybe you're right -- eventually all these things Will be discovered and make sense.

Post #4 has a good point, also.:)

I was just looking up the passages -- they are correct -- the number of his children being 666, etc.

Obviously your free to have your opinion.

Is it possible that sometime a person makes riddles out of things that don't especially have to be riddles. And maybe you're right -- eventually all these things Will be discovered and make sense.

Post #4 has a good point, also.:)

Its a riddle, and in scripture they utilize the different meanings of words to "hide" and yet "reveal" the answer. In this case, the "number Of the man" could be taken as meaning his name in numerical code is 666, but it could also be taken as the man causes the number 666 to exist.

When you have 666 kids, you caused the number to exist.

That is the key to solving the riddle. Which you prefer really depends on your bias. My bias is "scripture is where I find answers", others don't agree so they look elsewhere.

Post #4 did have a good point, and he was honest. But he could be good with riddles, its something we can learn. So its his choice.

I personally believe the mark is symbolic for our thoughts and actions. The mark on forehead, Is our thought.. The mark on the right hand, symbolic for our actions. We see God marking his people often in scripture and his mark is symbolic for his people or for their thought and actions

Eze. 9:4

and said to him, "Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it."

Exo.

This observance will be for you like a sign on your hand and a reminder on your forehead that this law of the LORD is to be on your lips. For the LORD brought you out of Egypt with his mighty hand.

Rev 7:3

"Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God.

2 cor 1:22

set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

The way I see it, is you are of Christ and have Gods mark or seal or your of the world and will not have eternal life, mark of the beast

• Like 1

Revelation 13: 16 "He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beat or the number of his name."

It sounds far more literal than symbolic.

• Like 1

Do you think the !44000 literally have the Fathers name on their forehead

Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads.

To me its symbolic you either are going to have the beasts mark or the Fathers name or his mark/seal[/TD]

Do you think the !44000 literally have the Fathers name on their forehead [TABLE=class: bibleTable, border: 0, cellpadding: 0, cellspacing: 0, width: 614]

[TR=class: verseSelected]

[TD]

Then I looked, and there before me was the Lamb, standing on Mount Zion, and with him 144,000 who had his name and his Father’s name written on their foreheads.

To me its symbolic you either are going to have the beasts mark or the Fathers name or his mark/seal[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

We're talking about two different things. The 144,000 have the name of God on their forehead for protection during the 7 yrs.

The mark of the beat 666 is Not to be taken by believers. They will experience the wrath of God if they do. No believers are going to be left here after the Church / believers / are taken up. People Will come to Christ during the tribulation period. Kids will be born and those to young to have made their decision will have a chance to hear and accept. Maybe by then we'll be in a moneyless society and it will make sense to have a micro-chip imbedded on the hand or forehead. Microchips are already being used by pet owners for identification purposes.

I'm Also thinking that it Might be used Before the rapture takes place. And believers won't be taking it Because they don't want to incur God's wrath. And it Might be encouraged for very good, practical reasons by society.

• Like 1

Not to get off the subject but, I don't think I am talking about two different things

We are all protected by Gods seal/mark

[Eph 4: 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

We are sealed and will not experience Gods wrath, we have Gods mark, we belong to him, Gods wrath will be poured out on all who don't come to Jesus. Believers will not experience Gods wrath whether in the last days or at judgment

Another reason that the mark of the beast may be symbolic is that there is only one unpardonable sin, but if the mark is to be taken literally its unpardonable. Lets say its literal, If in the first year of tribulation you take the mark to feed your family, but then you repent you cant be forgiven because you have the mark?

It would then be an unpardonable sin.

• Like 1

I'm Also thinking that it Might be used Before the rapture takes place.

It won't be used until the Beast becomes the ruler of the earth and that won't happen until after the rapture.

If in the first year of tribulation you take the mark to feed your family, but then you repent you cant be forgiven because you have the mark?

A person who takes the mark won't want to repent.

The rest of mankind, who were not killed by these plagues, did not repent of the works of their hands nor give up worshiping demons and idols of gold and silver and bronze and stone and wood, which cannot see or hear or walk, nor did they repent of their murders or their sorceries or their sexual immorality or their thefts. (Revelation 9:20,21 ESV)

A person who takes the mark won't want to repent.

Gods plagues are not only to punish but to bring repentance. God wants us all to repent and come to him

1st timothy 2:4

• Like 1

Gods plagues are not only to punish but to bring repentance. God wants us all to repent and come to him

1st timothy 2:4

Yes, that's what that verse says. But He Also knows that not everyone will.

The Left Behind series gives the impression that those who previously didn't accept Christ, will, after the rapture has taken place, 'recognize the truth' and accept Christ. That the rapture will Open their spiritual eyes of understanding. But 'someplace' there is a passage that says that After the fact, their eyes will be blinded to the truth. Explanations will be given for what Really happened to people disappearing. The Earth won't be a fun place to live. All the things that do start to happen. God's plagues Are to do both. The Jewish population will begin to listen. Only those who haven't - for whatever reason - heard will have the opportunity to do so. Anyone who Has heard and rejected - Won't want to listen and Won't accept.

That's why we are told "Now" is the time for salvation.

Revelation 6: 15-17. All of this will be happening. Up to chapter 20 -- and Then satan, the dragon, the devil // chained in the Abyss for 1,000 years. There will be peace on Earth for all that time. And that's not even heaven, yet.

Revelation is a fascinating book.

• Like 1

All of this will be happening. Up to chapter 20 -- and Then satan, the dragon, the devil // chained in the Abyss for 1,000 years. There will be peace on Earth for all that time. And that's not even heaven, yet.

Hi sue, I don't believe Revelation is in chronological order. The verse you are quoting is the end

REV 6:12

I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red,

REV 6:13

and the stars in the sky fell to earth, as figs drop from a fig tree when shaken by a strong wind.

The heavens receded like a scroll being rolled up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.

REV 6:14

The heavens receded like a scroll being rolled up, and every mountain and island was removed from its place.

These verses point to the great day of the Lord. This is the time for Gods judgment and that is why men are hiding and are calling for the rocks of the mountains to fall on them

Even though this is chapter 6 we are seeing a peek of Christ's return and Gods judgment

Hi sue, I don't believe Revelation is in chronological order. The verse you are quoting is the end

REV 6:12

I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red,

REV 6:13

and the stars in the sky fell to earth, as figs drop from a fig tree when shaken by a strong wind.

REV 6:14

These verses point to the great day of the Lord. This is the time for Gods judgment and that is why men are hiding and are calling for the rocks of the mountains to fall on them

Even though this is chapter 6 we are seeing a peek of Christ's return and Gods judgment

The contents of this book as well as the other books -- have been given to the writers by God through the guidance of the Holy Spirit. So -- we are talking about Revelation here -- why would God give John this information out of order of what will happen. Maybe a person doesn't like the order Of .... but it's all what God is telling us will happen.

Do you feel that the 1,000 reign should come 1st and Then all the 'bad' things?

Hi Sue

I believe Revelation is written in a way that we see overlapping events. Like a book I had when I was a child. It was a book of the human body Page one was a skeleton, you flipped the page and you saw the nerves and again you turned the page and saw a little more, the muscular system, then the organs. I see Revelation In that way. We see the same picture in different ways.

We can be sure that the verses I gave you Rev 6:12-14 are the day of the Lord and will happen at Christ return

Mark13:24

But in those days, following that distress, " 'the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light;

13:25

the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken

13:26

"At that time people will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory.

Matthew 24:29

"Immediately after the distress of those days " 'the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from the sky, and the heavenly bodies will be shaken.

24:30

"Then will appear the sign of the Son of Man in heaven

• Like 1

I believe Revelation is written in a way that we see overlapping events. Like a book I had when I was a child. It was a book of the human body Page one was a skeleton, you flipped the page and you saw the nerves and again you turned the page and saw a little more, the muscular system, then the organs. I see Revelation In that way. We see the same picture in different ways.
Hey Guppy I just wanted to make sure I understand. Are you saying that Revelation has a reoccurring pattern\structure which are parallel to each other? Just wondering.

I don't know if parallel is the right word, that would suggest that all events are different, just running at the same time. I mentioned above The sixth seal ends with the coming of our Lord Revelation 6, 12-14 and

if you look at the seven trumpets

The seventh trumpet ends with the coming of the Lord

[Rev 11:15 The seventh angel sounded his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, which said: "The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Messiah, and he will reign for ever and ever."

The seventh bowel ends with the coming of the Lord

[Rev 16:17-18 NIV] 17 The seventh angel poured out his bowl into the air, and out of the temple came a loud voice from the throne, saying, "It is done!" 18 Then there came flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder and a severe earthquake. No earthquake like it has ever occurred since mankind has been on earth, so tremendous was the quake.

I think overlapping is still a better way of trying to explain what I mean. We are seeing the same events in different ways

yet we see other event going on at the same time, Like the two witnesses when they die we see a great earthquake, most likely the same one we see at the seventh bowl and the same one we see in Zachariah

On that day his feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west, forming a great valley, with half of the mountain moving north and half moving south

At the second coming there is a great earthquake and signs in the sky. We can use these things to help us with the timeline

On 7/21/2017 at 10:42 AM, Guppy said:

I personally believe the mark is symbolic for our thoughts and actions. The mark on forehead, Is our thought.. The mark on the right hand, symbolic for our actions. We see God marking his people often in scripture and his mark is symbolic for his people or for their thought and actions

Eze. 9:4

and said to him, "Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it."

Exo.

This observance will be for you like a sign on your hand and a reminder on your forehead that this law of the LORD is to be on your lips. For the LORD brought you out of Egypt with his mighty hand.

Rev 7:3

"Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God.

2 cor 1:22

set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come.

The way I see it, is you are of Christ and have Gods mark or seal or your of the world and will not have eternal life, mark of the beast

The main reason why I don't agree (but you presented your view well), is the penalty for taking the Mark. Eternal Torment. I don't believe God would give someone Eternal Torment if it was possible to accept the mark of the beast by mistake, or without full knowledge that is precisely what one is doing. That's why I believe it must be literal. Moreover, everyone will know it is the Mark of the Beast. Like the Nazis did with symbols, they made it part of their religion. I believe the Beast will Boast he is the 666 Beast, and demand his followers acknowledge they are against God, and for him by accepting the Mark. That's why they will merit Eternal Torment. They all knew precisely what it stood for, and what God promised He would do if any receive it. In their foolishness, the believe they can defeat God.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alfred Persson said:

I don't believe God would give someone Eternal Torment if it was possible to accept the mark of the beast by mistake, or without full knowledge that is precisely what one is doing

Basically, what I was trying to say is, those who follow God have his mark, the elect, followers of Jesus and those who reject Christ have the mark of the beast. those who have rejected him.

I don't believe you accept the mark by accident, its the way you choose to live your life. for Christ or against Christ

2 hours ago, Guppy said:

Basically, what I was trying to say is, those who follow God have his mark, the elect, followers of Jesus and those who reject Christ have the mark of the beast. those who have rejected him.

I don't believe you accept the mark by accident, its the way you choose to live your life. for Christ or against Christ

Many believe as you do. I do not. I think the 666 symbol will be proudly waved like the swastika was. That the hybrid "human-angel" "son of Satan" will convince mankind he, his extraterrestrial (fallen angels) allies and the "Dragon Commander" can defeat God, whom they will claim is another extraterrestrial like themselves. That the UFO delusion sweeping the planet is Satanic strategy, it explains why the entire earth will go into total apostasy in the end time. People will be convinced God is an ET. That explains why many texts read as they do, for example:

who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God. (2 Thess. 2:4 NKJ)

The Antichrist will oppose the historic definition of God as Supreme Being, claim He is an Extraterrestrial like the Dragon (Satan) and his fellow aliens (fallen angels), and then exalt himself as being above all the gods in history, because he is the product of superior genetic engineering, and so above all extraterrestrial races.

Another example:

13 And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs coming out of the mouth of the dragon, out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
 14 For they are spirits of demons, performing signs, which go out to the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty. (Rev. 16:13-14 NKJ)

Flying frogs symbolize the UFO delusion, it comes out of the mouth of Satan, the Antichrist and False prophet = inspired propaganda "ancient alien theory". They will convince the world God is an "unfriendly extraterrestrial leader" who can be defeated by the combined forces of earth and "extraterrestrials", and gather them all to Armageddon.

You know what happens there, they lose.