The Protestant Community

Are you Protestant? Or, are you sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. Register in less than a minute, it is simple, fast, and free! We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums is:

.... an orthodox Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism. Those who would challenge the peace and harmony that we enjoy here as fellow believers are directed to another forum.

Enjoy your fellowship

In order to understand the importance of Christian fellowship, we must first understand what Christian fellowship is and what it isn’t. The Greek words translated “fellowship” in the New Testament mean essentially a partnership to the mutual benefit of those involved. Christian fellowship, then, is the mutually beneficial relationship between Christians, who can’t have the identical relationship with those outside the faith. Those who believe the gospel are united in the Spirit through Christ to the Father, and that unity is the basis of fellowship. This relationship is described by Jesus in His high-priestly prayer for His followers in John 17:23. The importance of true Christian fellowship is that it reinforces Christ centeredness in our mind and helps us to focus on Christ and His desires and goals for us. As iron sharpens iron, in true Christian fellowship Christians sharpen one another's faith and stir one another to exercise that faith in love and good works, all to God’s glory.
Sign in to follow this  
luri

Should church pay tax

Churches are social institutions that not only provide mental solace to the people but also material support to the needy people. For example, Churches distribute free food, free clothes, sometimes even free education and free medical care. However there is a discrepancies in Church's activities. Nor all church provide social service. They seem to receive a big donation, but spend a little in social service? Should we bring church in tax frame?

Should we bring church in tax frame?

No. Churches should not pay taxes, and if all churches used their donations as they should they would never pay taxes. Taxes are paid on earned income or profits, and neither of these apply to churches. By the same token, individual Christians are commanded to pay their taxes, which does not mean that Christians should not minimize their taxes and put their income to better use. Almost all (if not all) governments grossly mismanage their funds and engage in wasteful expenditures, or worse.

I don't think churches should pay taxes as even though they receive a lot of donations they offer much to people and provide services for the betterment of the lives of the people. I will check if religious institutions are paying taxes or not. Thanks for the thread.

Tax is paid on earned income and profits. In my opinion if someone donates to the church, it becomes earning for the church; when someone donates, it is also profits because donation increases income. Since the church is already making money, I think it should pay tax.

Tax is paid on earned income and profits. In my opinion if someone donates to the church, it becomes earning for the church; when someone donates, it is also profits because donation increases income. Since the church is already making money, I think it should pay tax.

By your logic no one should be exempt from taxes. Not even the homeless. If they receive a donation it becomes earned income and profits.

Religious institutions are exempt from taxation because our government has not been given the power to govern religion. This is an expression of the basic principles behind the founding of this country—that is, there is an Authority above the government that has established rights apart from the government, including free speech and freedom of religion. Since these rights were not created by the government—and, in fact, existed before any government existed—our government is restrained from infringing on these natural rights. There are things that are simply not rightly under any government’s control. To reverse this long-standing practice of tax exemption is to wrongly place the government in authority over religion. —Amy K. Hall, “Why Religious Institutions Aren’t Taxed

God bless,

William

Churches should not pay taxes but thanks to the secular liberals they have to pay taxes. This leave churches have no other choice but to follow the law. These secular wanted separation of church and state but forcing churches to pay taxes doesn't sound like a separation to me. The earnings of the church goes for maintenance and charities. I know in many European countries churches are forced to pay taxes. Especially in those countries with high atheist populations.

The questions of whether churches should pay taxes depends on what kind of taxes you are talking about. Churches are exempt from property taxes but they receive the benefits of services supported by those taxes. It seems that we should be willing to pay for the services we receive just as other people do.

I don't think churches should have taxes, because mainly most of the churches only ask for donations. It's always up to the people whether they want to give or not. If we wouldn't charge a homeless man for begging on the streets, if we wouldn't charge people who donated to feed starving people in 3rd world countries, then I don't think we should tax churches. Unless that a certain church forces you to give money then aside from that being very wrong, they should also be taxed. But so far I haven't heard of any church doing such thing.

If we take the 1st Amendment seriously then we keep separation of church and state, which means the church keeps the gifts of its congregants. If not, then there is a double tax on people who go to church and support its existence.

Churches should not pay taxes but thanks to the secular liberals they have to pay taxes. This leave churches have no other choice but to follow the law. These secular wanted separation of church and state but forcing churches to pay taxes doesn't sound like a separation to me. The earnings of the church goes for maintenance and charities. I know in many European countries churches are forced to pay taxes. Especially in those countries with high atheist populations.

The UK has a slightly more complicated rule. While many churchs would pay tax on profits they made, churches generally don't make profits so pay no tax. Further they can reclaim tax that was paid on donations made to them through the GiftAid Scheme. Basically this means that if a taxpayer donates £100, the Inland Revenue returns the tax on it directly to the church, meaning the church gets roughly £128.00. It is slightly more complicated than that, but there is a full breakdown here.

There's a contrast between the CofE and the US Catholic church here, which I found really interesting reading.

The church provides services out of love and tithes come out of love, there is no exchange of cash for services. The church is not a business.

Now if a church is selling books and things like some of these mega churches do, that's a little different.