The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
William

Who is the Antichrist? The Answer May Surprise You!

At least two early church fathers, Irenaeus and Hippolytus, identify the antichrist as coming from the tribe of Dan.

• Like 1

Of course, John and the early fathered didn't have the benefit of knowing about Mohammad and the insanity that he taught his followers.

• Like 1

Of course, John and the early fathered didn't have the benefit of knowing about Mohammad and the insanity that he taught his followers.
True. I think it just goes the show the difficulty in trying identifying the antichrist (i.e. Hitler, the Pope, Napoleon).
  • Like 1

True. I think it just goes the show the difficulty in trying identifying the antichrist (i.e. Hitler, the Pope, Napoleon).

My personal favorite was the Russian leader with the birth mark that had to be the "mark of the beast". ;)

Frankly, when someone shows up that most people, including many Christians, will believe is God ... I don't think there will be any doubt about his identity. No living or dead leader really stands up to that level of power. I see lots of 'anti-christs' but no real candidates for The 'Anti-Christ'.

• Like 3

Where in Scripture do you find one person being labeled THE ANTICHRIST.

These are the only use of the word antichrist in Scripture

1Jn_2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

1Jn_2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

1Jn_4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

2Jn_1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

• Like 1

I wasn't familiar enough with the Koran to know that, although I'd heard there was disagreement between Islam and Judaism/Christianity over who was the child of promise in the Old Testament, Ishmael or Isaac.

It is a very interesting video. Given that Judaism and Christianity existed in the region during the 7th century, and Islam includes elements of those faiths, I'm not surprised to see similarities, but I am surprised to see the text almost inverted between the faiths.

(On a less serious note, if you watch Indie Christian films, he's almost always American, raised in Europe, rich, and the president of the EU...)

he's almost always American, raised in Europe, rich, and the president of the EU

Many people think the European Union is the fulfillment of the prophesies of a restored Roman Empire. I used to think this myself but I have changed my mind. I have explained the reasons for this in a post in my blog.

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2013/06/15/the-wrong-empire/

I believe the antichrist will have an Arab father and a Jewish mother. Arabs consider anyone born of an Arab father to be Arab; Jews consider anyone born of a Jewish mother to be Jewish. This would mean that both the Arabs and the Jews would consider the antichrist one of their own and would be willing to follow him.

The so-called antichrist is who ever believers think the biggest thread at the time happens to be. This pattern has been repeated many times over the past 2000 years.

• Like 2

The so-called antichrist is who ever believers think the biggest thread at the time happens to be. This pattern has been repeated many times over the past 2000 years.

The Supreme Court of the United States? ;)

• Like 1

Where in Scripture do you find one person being labeled THE ANTICHRIST.

These are the only use of the word antichrist in Scripture

1Jn_2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

1Jn_2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.

1Jn_4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

2Jn_1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

I think it is a Daniel and Revelation thing ('abomination of desolation' rings a bell).

[Personally, I follow Pan-Tribulation Eschatology ... I believe that it will all pan out in the end. :) ]

• Like 1

The Supreme Court of the United States? ;)
Sure! Add it to the list.

I think it is a Daniel and Revelation thing ('abomination of desolation' rings a bell).

[Personally, I follow Pan-Tribulation Eschatology ... I believe that it will all pan out in the end. :) ]

agree it it will pan out :)

We both know there is zero scripture claiming anyone one to be Thee Antichrist...

We both know there is zero scripture claiming anyone one to be Thee Antichrist...

I believe "the" Anti-Christ and the "Man of Lawlessness" are equated in 2 Thessalonians.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Agreed, you will not find THE ANTICHRIST (as in one person) specifically mentioned ... just like the word Trinity ;) ... but to give credit where credit is due, there is a 'little horn' (whatever that is) in Daniel and The Beast and The False Prophet (whatever they are) in Revelation.

Moving outside of Daniel and Revelation, (yay) we have "the man of lawlessness" ...

2 Thessalonians 2:1-12

1 Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come. 3 Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction. 4 He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped, so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God.

5 Don’t you remember that when I was with you I used to tell you these things? 6 And now you know what is holding him back, so that he may be revealed at the proper time. 7 For the secret power of lawlessness is already at work; but the one who now holds it back will continue to do so till he is taken out of the way. 8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth and destroy by the splendor of his coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with how Satan works. He will use all sorts of displays of power through signs and wonders that serve the lie, 10 and all the ways that wickedness deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. 11 For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie 12 and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

So no smoking 'AntiChrist', but more than nothing.

(Thus the reason I avoid anything more that pointing out verses and multiple opinions when it comes to the End Times. I just don't know and don't want to be bothered arguing about visions.)

Edited by atpollard
  • Like 2

Whoever the current President is, at any given point in time, someone somewhere is convinced they're the anti-Christ.

• Like 2

I believe "the" Anti-Christ and the "Man of Lawlessness" are equated in 2 Thessalonians.

God bless,

William

Most people do... I am not saying i totally disagree.. We banter around the word antichrist as if it is a title giving it a meaning . A meaning i do not see in scripture... What bugs me most is how it is used in the 'world' and how fast it sell trash like late great planet earth.. John pinned both 'his little books' and The Revelation of Jesus Christ... had God meant to say antichrist in The Revelation of Himself i think He would have... Just a pet peeve mine...

Think of any book and change the names to suit yourself ... There is no way Ashley could ever be Rett..

• Like 2

Most people do... I am not saying i totally disagree.. We banter around the word antichrist as if it is a title giving it a meaning . A meaning i do not see in scripture... What bugs me most is how it is used in the 'world' and how fast it sell trash like late great planet earth.. John pinned both 'his little books' and The Revelation of Jesus Christ... had God meant to say antichrist in The Revelation of Himself i think He would have... Just a pet peeve mine...

Think of any book and change the names to suit yourself ... There is no way Ashley could ever be Rett..

G'day Reba,

As far as I am aware the less credible people pushing for such spectacularism only come from the Premillennial and Rapture camps. As to why people lend these camps which are full of failed prophecy time and time again, any credibility is beyond me. As an Amiller I believe the "signs" have been evident and present since the very beginning of the Christian era until now. However, I do not deny that there will be a "climatic" final fulfillment before the second coming. Then again, amillennialists adopt a position of sober or realistic optimism.

On a personal note, I tend to think these things will pan out too. I tend to think our different eschatology (amill) brings us varying comfort. For example, I acknowledge God has always preserved a faithful remnant, and during the climax of trial and temptation the Elect will not be deceived:

• Revelation 13:8 and all who dwell on earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain.

Though I expect to see many fall away or as 2 Thess 2:9-12 suggests:

• 9 The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders,
  • 10 and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.
  • 11 Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false,
  • 12 in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

God bless,

William

Born and raised a scofield dispensationalist ....Learning over the years how demeaning to the Cross his type of theology was/is .. I have been pulled from that pit ...

• Like 2

The Antichrist is the one who we have inside, Everytime when we lie is the Antichrist, Everytime when we make war is the Antichrist. Maybe people is waiting a person who takes the power and the throne but the Antichrist is same humanity acting with egotism but always waiting for the Antichrist and changes name on and on first was Bush, then Obama and now is Trump, maybe the Antichrist is invisible and active in so many people who cause wars, poorness and destruction of this planet. Maybe you have the Antichrist wihout knowing it.

The Antichrist is the one who we have inside, Everytime when we lie is the Antichrist, Everytime when we make war is the Antichrist. Maybe people is waiting a person who takes the power and the throne but the Antichrist is same humanity acting with egotism but always waiting for the Antichrist and changes name on and on first was Bush, then Obama and now is Trump, maybe the Antichrist is invisible and active in so many people who cause wars, poorness and destruction of this planet. Maybe you have the Antichrist wihout knowing it.

I'd say that is wrong, but what you listed makes you a sinner. Here's what Scripture says about coming in the "spirit" of the anti-Christ:

1 John 4:2-3

• By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God,
  • and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.

Also notice the timing of those in the spirit of the anti-Christ. John states that they are in the world already.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Interesting. He makes a good point, Satan is a complete counterfeit. Also, Islam is spreading like wildfire in this generation.

• Like 1

The Revelation of Christ never mentions antichrist

Interesting. He makes a good point, Satan is a complete counterfeit. Also, Islam is spreading like wildfire in this generation.

A counterfeit couldn't be more fitting.

That's exactly what he is. What has surprised me is how people these days are starting to see that more and more. Some may say satan has had a hold on us far more this generation though I beg to differ.

It's my own opinion that people these days can see him for who he is much better while I believe certain individuals in these days and times are far greater affected by his schemes in the same aspect. Mostly mentally ill people. And it's terrible. I've been to hospitals only to meet some very intelligent individuals that are more vulnerable to satan than anyone one this earth. Some choose him and some do not. However it can be understood that those affected by him most are the ones who have the potential to love God the most. Satan wants the ones that he knows will be the most valued to God.

So it's more or less my belief that certain individuals are affected far more in these times than ever before while more people are seeing him for who he is than ever before at the same time.

• Like 1

I agree with reba. There's no such teaching in the scriptures about a coming false messiah called "the Antichrist". It's a fable...a myth.