The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
rootle

Do you think Christians shouldn't be a part of certain types of music?

I have a number of Christian friends who listen to heavy metal including Christian metal bands. I also know some people who think that that sort of music is inherently against what Christianity stands for. What is your take on this sort of thing? Do you think there are particular styles of music or film that are inherently against Christianity?

Anything can be used to bring glory to God. Of course you do have the people that will get hung up on the "sound" of certain styles of music saying it sounds demonic, and the like. It really comes down to a person's background and their musical preference.

I grew up in the 80's listening to hair bands, hard rock, soft rock, heavy metal...pretty much a large spectrum of music. So, when a Christian band is starting make using in a specific style, as long as they are good at it and have a good message then I say more power to them. I do have to say Christian music has come a long way from the cheesy music from the 80's and early 90's.

I think most people that are not familiar with heavy metal music would be surprised at just how many Christian bands there are from around the world, two of the bigger Christian metal bands are called August Burns Red and For Today, most have songs with some Christian influence or belief to which a criticism of them has been that they are "too preachy".

Anything can be used to bring glory to God. Of course you do have the people that will get hung up on the "sound" of certain styles of music saying it sounds demonic, and the like. It really comes down to a person's background and their musical preference.

I grew up in the 80's listening to hair bands, hard rock, soft rock, heavy metal...pretty much a large spectrum of music. So, when a Christian band is starting make using in a specific style, as long as they are good at it and have a good message then I say more power to them. I do have to say Christian music has come a long way from the cheesy music from the 80's and early 90's.

Yeah I totally agree with you here. A style of music cannot inherently carry a positive or negative message. I generally am not at all a fan of Christian music that we sing at churches. The 80s/90s stuff is terrible but the current worship music isn't a whole lot better if you ask me.

Yeah I totally agree with you here. A style of music cannot inherently carry a positive or negative message. I generally am not at all a fan of Christian music that we sing at churches. The 80s/90s stuff is terrible but the current worship music isn't a whole lot better if you ask me.

Some of the modern worship music isn't too bad. I do like it when bands will do a modern rendition of some of the more traditional hymns, though I do agree some of the more repetitive songs can get kind of tedious. Obviously, they are written to be a kind of chant, possibly meant for a meditation style of worship. I just don't know who it benefits more, the individual or God.

• Like 1

I have a number of Christian friends who listen to heavy metal including Christian metal bands. I also know some people who think that that sort of music is inherently against what Christianity stands for. What is your take on this sort of thing? Do you think there are particular styles of music or film that are inherently against Christianity?

Actually Skillet is a Christian metal band and they are awesome. A couple of their fans were atheist and didn't realize that they were listen to Christian music because of how well written the music is. Until they were in the middl of a crowd at a concert and the truth hit them with drums and electric guitars, the lyrics were obvious references to Jesus. It doesn't happen to everybody but it happens to some. I personally like Rebirth and Hero. Not all of their songs are Christian, some are more personal but that doesn't mean listening to metal is the wrong way to find God. Not everyone is meant to stand at the podium and speak to people.

I for one love Creed. Their last album Full Circle turned towards Metal. Here's the Lyrics, and though they are not Christian, the lead singer and song writer is Christian:

• Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world,[a] but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

The cradle of civilisation sparks my fascination

Truth ignites our generation to change what's been programmed

Inside the mind

Don't you turn a blind eye

Change what's been programmed inside

Listen to me when i tell you

Feel the passion in my breath

Stay on top if they let you

Cause the change is permanent

Change is permanent

Rudiments ofinterpersonal communication

Truth will uproot and bring war's devastation to light

Change whats been programmed inside

Staying silent is a crime

[CHORUS]

Change starts in your mind

Leave the past behind

Forget everything you know

Make a change...let go

Change starts in your mind

Leafe the past behind

Forget everything you know

Make a change...let go

Let go...let go... let go

[CHORUS]

Actually Skillet is a Christian metal band and they are awesome. A couple of their fans were atheist and didn't realize that they were listen to Christian music because of how well written the music is. Until they were in the middl of a crowd at a concert and the truth hit them with drums and electric guitars, the lyrics were obvious references to Jesus. It doesn't happen to everybody but it happens to some. I personally like Rebirth and Hero. Not all of their songs are Christian, some are more personal but that doesn't mean listening to metal is the wrong way to find God. Not everyone is meant to stand at the podium and speak to people.

Yeah I know Skillet. I used to listen to them for a while but got a bit bored. They're a respectable band though I'd be careful categorizing them as metal. Some people are pretty picky when it comes to genre definitions and from what I've heard of Skillet they fall slightly outside the metal bracket. But it doesn't really matter, genres are just vague descriptions really.

Yeah I know Skillet. I used to listen to them for a while but got a bit bored. They're a respectable band though I'd be careful categorizing them as metal. Some people are pretty picky when it comes to genre definitions and from what I've heard of Skillet they fall slightly outside the metal bracket. But it doesn't really matter, genres are just vague descriptions really.

Oh, I know that crowd that is very persnickety about who they caterogized as metal. I was listening to a reviewer talk about how Asking Alexandria (prior to Danny leaving), Black Veiled Brides, and a couple of others even though they were nominated by Golden Gods award for best song under the heavy metal section. So yeah, I'm aware that people get high and might about it but Skillet is probably the hardest Christian band I've heard off.

I've seen heavy metal music slammed by a number of Baptist writers who say it is the devils music which shouldn't be in church. But if we must be honest isn't the content what matters more? If someone makes a song about drugs and how good they'll make you feel then that is "satanic music". However if someone's song is about faith or some other Christian theme why shouldn't Christians listen to that song?

Oh, I know that crowd that is very persnickety about who they caterogized as metal. I was listening to a reviewer talk about how Asking Alexandria (prior to Danny leaving), Black Veiled Brides, and a couple of others even though they were nominated by Golden Gods award for best song under the heavy metal section. So yeah, I'm aware that people get high and might about it but Skillet is probably the hardest Christian band I've heard off.

Some of the Christian metal bands I know of are August Burns Red, Demon Hunter, Impending Doom and Norma Jean. I don't listen to most of these though but Demonhunter is definitely worth checking out if you're at all interested. Ironically for being a metal band, their softer songs are the ones I like the most.

I've seen heavy metal music slammed by a number of Baptist writers who say it is the devils music which shouldn't be in church. But if we must be honest isn't the content what matters more? If someone makes a song about drugs and how good they'll make you feel then that is "satanic music". However if someone's song is about faith or some other Christian theme why shouldn't Christians listen to that song?

Exactly, I feel the lyrics and the themes behind music should be what categorizes something as 'Satanic' and not what the music sounds like or the appearance of the people who make the music.

Appearances can be deceiving. Only God knows what's in the hearts of men and anyone who judges fails to obey Jesus who commanded us all not to judge. I listen to Michael W Smith's music even though there are Christians who call him a "wolf" [in sheep's clothing].

There's a genre called Christian rock. I love a lot of its performers. It's mainly an acoustic type of songs. Sounds very soft and energetic at the same time. Also, there are a lot of heavier stuff which I appreciate, too. And, of course, the participation in a Church choir is a pretty good thing to do.

We should be keen about what we can learn in songs. The message in a song can make it suitable or unsuitable for listening by Christians. We should not focus on the type of song but what we can learn. We have songs which are not Christian but they can teach us about moral values or how we should be living in our societies. Some songs do motivate us even though they are not Christian songs.

No I don't feel that way at all. Part of it is acceptance of everyone, and that includes music as well. I don't really have any preference but I listen to all types of music and aren't really held down by one genre while I still listen to gospel/religious as well.

I would always say that the lyrical content is more important than the actual style/sound of the music. It's amazing how a song can sound rough or scary or intimidating but when you listen to the actual words it's anything but that!

There's plenty of pop songs that glorify drinking, promiscuity and so forth. The first one that comes to mind was Katy Perry's song "Last Friday Night" which makes going out and getting drunk seem like the only thing you should be doing - and that was a chart topping hit. It sounded like sweet bubblegum pop but really if you listen to the lyrics it can be shocking. So I would always say worry more about the content than how catchy or approachable the tune seems.

• Like 1

I totally agree with Amelia88 that the content of the lyrics is more important than the style of the music. If we think a song is rough or scary just from the sound of it, it's usually because we have been conditioned to think that way from early on. Not every song in a certain genre of music is bad, even if most of the other songs in the same category are. It's a matter of what the lyrics say. After all, music is just vibrations that we translate and resonate with, and it's possible for one person to find harmony with a type of music that is considered to be 'bad'. It all happens on a deep level that is unconscious to the majority of us who have not taken the time to get in touch with their inner selves. They don't really understand the attraction, and that it is a vibrational attraction.

I am certainly not willing to say that Christians should not listen to music just because it is not Christian, and that seems very foolish and almost impossible at this stage. Music a beautiful and timeless art form that should be enjoyed by everyone freely. Certainly, however, you can find some music that is not morally upstanding, and as a Christian you can surely question the motives and actions of the musicians. I would like to think that everyone is free to listen to whatever music they enjoy, regardless of religion of any other affiliation. Thanks for sharing.

I haven't the slightest desire to listen to heavy metal or related music. My unsolicited advice to those who do: screen each band/group before listening to their music. Many, many years ago, I've read about backmasking which revealed creepy, even allegedly Satanic, messages behind seemingly innocent lyrics. I would hate to patronize music like that, even unknowingly.

Like most here, I agree that lyrics and not musical tone is the important factor in choosing which music to listen to. Until recently, I never really felt the pull from God to stop listening to my secular metal music. However, about 6 months ago, I suddenly started to feel that tug on my heart to stop listening to the music I had been in love with for years. This was one of the strangest feelings I have ever experienced during my time as a Christian. Music that I loved and listened to daily, I suddenly just had no desire to listen to anymore. However, I found that I still really like metal, and have gone searching for Christian bands to fill in that metal sound that I enjoy. For the lighter side, I enjoy Skillet, Fireflight, Ashes Remain, Nine Lashes. For the heavier side, I have found Demon Hunter and Disciple. I will certainly be checking out some of the other bands listed here in the near future as I can always use some more good Christian music.

Well, I personally think that there should not be any kind of exception when it comes to tastes, I could be the most Christian person in the world and like Zombies games, it' is something that does not have anything to do with religion/culture at all, it probably does, it probably does not, but in my opinion people should respect other people's thought regarding what they think and what they like, of course, there are lines people should not cross, life is like that, everything has a limit, once we cross the limits everything could happen, that's my opinion though.

A lot of music, rap for instance, is full of so many dirty words that obviously it obviously wouldn't be appropriate for Christians. As for other types of music, I would say it's up to a listener to examine his/her own conscience. However, keep in mind, a lot of music was written in a spirit of rebellion against morality.

Also, note some music is coming as across as entertainment. For instance, Ozzy Osbourne claims his music is simply an exploration of the dark side, much like an Edgar Allan Poe novel. Nonetheless, the spirit of many of his songs are obviously at conflict with how Christians feel. A true Christian, deep into his/her faith, would not enjoy the songs.

• Like 1

I think a lot of people only listen to the rhythm and beats etc. They are not paying attention to the lyrics. I was the same way when younger, then one day as I started up the car, turned on the radio, and looked into the rear view mirror seeing my child in the car seat, I began hearing the filth that was entering her mind.

Some music just on a purely musical note without lyrics still has the potential to either "amp up" or "calm", I think we should be aware of our changing moods and consciousness from music. One cannot blame the music rather themselves for road rage, but listening to some types of music can help "promote" road rage or just plain aggression. Music especially Trance music can alter our consciousness, much the same ways as result from drugs, and that can be used to induce all kinds of bad ideology. There's nothing like rap music talking about killing or idolatry, and at the same time moving someone's "being" to the music which I would think tends to associate such with such behavior. We can literally change our consciousness just by repetitive beats or by chanting the same prayer over and over, and the Bible is clear on such behavior.

And yes, Christians can step outside the boundary of Christian musical orthodoxy, but in the church our songs sang in worship should be a form of prayer where one focuses and exalts God alone. Music that tends to lift that focus from God and place it on other areas, really, doesn't belong in the church. The question then is whether someone lives two lives, living unchurched outside church throughout the week and then a different way on any given Lord's day? Do you tend to focus and support idolatry and worldly ideology through music throughout the week?

God bless,

William