The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism. Those who would challenge the peace and harmony that we enjoy here as fellow believers are directed to another website.
Sign in to follow this  
rootle

Why do non-catholics take the words of the Pope so seriously?

Most of the Christians I've been around are not Catholics. Yet they seem to extremely into everything the Pope says. It seems to me that as a man the Pope is obviously not infallible and I can't quite understand why so many people put him up on a pedestal.

I am a Protestant believer and this has never been my experience. Perhaps your circle of friends are more interested in what the Pope has to say than mine.

• Like 4

I agree with BookishGirl. Any non Catholic I know gives no second thought to the pope. Although it is quite scary that his words are taken as God's words by Catholics, especially since what he says can over rule the Bible.

• Like 2

Most people, regardless of their religious affiliation, recognize that the Pope is an influential world figure, so there is a certain amount of respect there. Non-Catholic Christians may also consider that the Pope can have a significant effect on the world's opinion of Christians in general, since non-Christians often lump all Christians together.

There is also the fact that conservative Protestants and Catholics may share some values and are sometimes on the same side in political or social issues, such as gay marriage, abortion, and the place of religion in society.

I am not personally familiar with any Protestants who look to the Pope as their spiritual leader, however, and I don't believe that practice is widespread.

Edited by Ken Anderson
  • Like 2

Although it is quite scary that his words are taken as God's words by Catholics, especially since what he says can over rule the Bible.

What do you mean by "his words are taken as God's words by Catholics, especially since what he says can over rule the Bible."?

I think you are wrong but perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by that.

Maybe that depends on his personality. Some popes were very influential, others, however, were not really attracting and keeping their audience present. I like the current pope. He's doing everything to raise the popularity, status, and importance of his Church in society.

Most people, regardless of their religious affiliation, recognize that the Pope is an influential world figure, so there is a certain amount of respect there. Non-Catholic Christians may also consider that the Pope can have a significant effect on the world's opinion of Christian in general, since non-Christians often lump all Christians together.

There is also the fact that conservative Protestants and Catholics may share some values and are sometimes on the same side in political or social issues, such as gay marriage, abortion, and the place of religion in society.

I am not personally familiar with any Protestants who look to the Pope as their spiritual leader, however, and I don't believe that practice is widespread.

Yeah I think you're right there about how the Pope is sort of a representative of Christians worldwide regardless of denomination. While non-catholics probably don't look to his words as spiritual guidance, it makes them feel good to know that he is representing the people of the religion well.

The Pope isn't the representative of Christians. He's the head of the Roman Catholic church and to be honest non-Catholics don't really care if the Pope is a good representative of Christianity or not because there exists irreconcilable differences between the Roman Catholic church and protestants.

• Like 1

The Pope isn't the representative of Christians. He's the head of the Roman Catholic church and to be honest non-Catholics don't really care if the Pope is a good representative of Christianity or not because there exists irreconcilable differences between the Roman Catholic church and protestants.

There are definitely some people who care about how the Pope represents Christianity. I've met some of them. But yeah I really don't think they should.

There may be many elements to that, as the current pope seem to have a political talent and has a way with words when commenting current events which make him attract attention. Former Popes weren't really like that.

Also you should consider that the Vatican is a political entity with formal embassies all over the planet and a seat at the UN, so that also plays, because the pope is often more or less doing politics more than religion. There is also some sort of prestige attached to the Vatican being in Rome and Italy, it's even a popular touristic destination for people of all faiths.

I don't experience the same thing as you but maybe people in your area feel that the pope is a politically-significant voice that globally speaks for Christians (when it comes to politics)

I believe that when Jesus was crucified, the veil was ripped from top to bottom (meaning it was God who ripped it.) There is no barrier or need for any sort of high priest to ask for forgiveness on our behalf with the new testament. I think people who are not catholics put much into what the pope says simply because his words or actions can influence millions and millions of people.

• Like 2

There may be many elements to that, as the current pope seem to have a political talent and has a way with words when commenting current events which make him attract attention. Former Popes weren't really like that.

Also you should consider that the Vatican is a political entity with formal embassies all over the planet and a seat at the UN, so that also plays, because the pope is often more or less doing politics more than religion. There is also some sort of prestige attached to the Vatican being in Rome and Italy, it's even a popular touristic destination for people of all faiths.

I don't experience the same thing as you but maybe people in your area feel that the pope is a politically-significant voice that globally speaks for Christians (when it comes to politics)

Technically it's the Holy See, not the Vatican, that has diplomatic missions in other countries, and has "observer status" at the UN. It is not a member.

I looked that up on Wikipedia. You could have done the same.

Technically it's the Holy See, not the Vatican, that has diplomatic missions in other countries, and has "observer status" at the UN. It is not a member.

I looked that up on Wikipedia. You could have done the same.

That attitude is not helpful. Telling people to look it up, or showing irritation at them asking here instead is just rude. The whole point of a Forum is a social format for the exchange of ideas and information. Some people get more from or just learn better from asking a question in a forum than from looking at a Wikipedia article and they shouldn't be disparaged for it.

• Like 4

What do you mean by "his words are taken as God's words by Catholics, especially since what he says can over rule the Bible."?

I think you are wrong but perhaps I misunderstand what you mean by that.

I have been told by my Catholic family and I have also done studies. Tradition over rules Biblical doctrine in the Catholic church. Maybe not every Catholic church, but from what I understand it is taught to follow tradition instead of the Bible if the two contradict.

That attitude is not helpful. Telling people to look it up, or showing irritation at them asking here instead is just rude. The whole point of a Forum is a social format for the exchange of ideas and information. Some people get more from or just learn better from asking a question in a forum than from looking at a Wikipedia article and they shouldn't be disparaged for it.

Carlos didn't ask a question. He just presented "facts" that were incorrect and that some very basic checking would have shown him that.

I have been told by my Catholic family and I have also done studies. Tradition over rules Biblical doctrine in the Catholic church. Maybe not every Catholic church, but from what I understand it is taught to follow tradition instead of the Bible if the two contradict.

Sacred Tradition does not, and cannot, contradict the Bible since they come from the same source, the Deposit of Faith that Christ and the Apostles left the Church. Neither does the Pope 'over rule the Bible'. You give no evidence for either claim.

Carlos didn't ask a question. He just presented "facts" that were incorrect and that some very basic checking would have shown him that.

But he did. The topic title. It may be lacking punctuation but it is still a question,

But he did. The topic title. It may be lacking punctuation but it is still a question,

Wrong!

The reasons why non-Catholics take the words of the pope so seriously is the recognition that the Pope is the titular head of the only Christian religion that has its origins to the time of Christ in unbroken succession. Catholicism is the largest group within Christianity and has had a common tradition and doctrine for hundreds of years as opposed to numerous Protestant groups that are more elastic in their interpretation of the gospel as it relates to societal norms. The Pope (at least since the Council of Trent .. there were many bad popes previous to that time) has generally been a man of high intellect and moral character which still counts somewhat in this day and age.

• Like 1

Wrong!

Do you care to elaborate? Wrong how?

Edited by nytegeek

Do you care to elaborate? Wrong how?

You said: "But he did. The topic title. It may be lacking punctuation but it is still a question,"

The topic title was clearly a question and punctuated as such.

Carlos' reply contained no questions, punctuated or not.

You said: "But he did. The topic title. It may be lacking punctuation but it is still a question,"

The topic title was clearly a question and punctuated as such.

Carlos' reply contained no questions, punctuated or not.

I was not speaking about Carlos' reply, and at the time I checked the question mark appeared to be missing from the topic title and I was only talking about the title to begin with. At any rate this level of nit-pickyness from either of us is useless and detracts from the conversation so I'm done.

Edited by nytegeek

The reasons why non-Catholics take the words of the pope so seriously is the recognition that the Pope is the titular head of the only Christian religion that has its origins to the time of Christ in unbroken succession.

Some of the Orthodox churches are even older than the Catholic church. And the succession of popes isn't unbroken. At one time there were three popes at one time. In any case the fact of succession doesn't prove that the Catholic church or the pope teaches the truth. The Protestant reformation took place because the Catholic church allowed false traditions to be accepted as doctrine.

Some of the Orthodox churches are even older than the Catholic church.

The Orthodox churches broke away from the Catholic Church so they cannot be older.

And the succession of popes isn't unbroken.

What do you mean by that? Please explain

At one time there were three popes at one time.

That is untrue. There have never been three Pope's. There was once three claimants to the office but there has only ever been one true office holder.

In any case the fact of succession doesn't prove that the Catholic church or the pope teaches the truth. The Protestant reformation took place because the Catholic church allowed false traditions to be accepted as doctrine.

That also is untrue.

I believe the Catholic claim to Papal succession beginning with Peter to be a retrospective fabrication.

I also believe that the Reformers never made a total break from Catholicism and cling as tenaciously to Bibliolatry as did the Catholics 5th century onwards.