The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism. Those who would challenge the peace and harmony that we enjoy here as fellow believers are directed to another website.
Nahum

Boycotting Target?

I read there is a large scale boycott of the shopping chain Target. It has to do with their policy of allowing transgender individuals access to washing rooms and changing rooms that is of their gender identity, rather than their biological gender.

Do you think such a boycott is something Christians should take part in? Have you signed the boycott pledge? Do you think it will have any impact on the company's policy?

• Like 1

Do you think such a boycott is something Christians should take part in? Have you signed the boycott pledge? Do you think it will have any impact on the company's policy?

Yes. And no, I haven't signed a pledge but will shop elsewhere. Target lost over 1 billion dollars in less than two weeks after the pledge began. Last I noticed, there were headlines suggesting that Target has now lost over 4 billion in revenue and is in full panic mode over filed legal suits.

• Like 2

I think they thought it would be a good PR for them to be "ahead" in the equality thing when it comes to gender, and the bathrooms may have sounded like a good idea to begin with. But now, with the outrage of the public, I guess it totally backfired on them, as the backlash on this has lead to them losing incredible amounts of money. This is what happens when you try to "force" a change in the society, you either get praised for being an innovator, or you will be punished for making a ridiculous choice that people do not really like. I guess they deserve it, it was a terrible idea to begin with.

• Like 1

Thank you both for the notes. We too haven't signed any pledges, but our household won't be shopping there anymore. The prices were so-so anyway, but this pretty much ended any desire to patronize them.

• Like 2

I have stopped shopping there, especially since we have a Walmart right next door. I don't really go in for any kind of formal boycott, but they will, and have, lose my business.

• Like 2

We have also stopped shopping there. We stopped a couple years ago when they made a big deal about the "boy/girl" colors that their isles were. They changed them all to tan backgrounds. Truth is, I would never have noticed the isles in the children's section if they hadn't made a big deal out of it. Now with the bathroom thing, I wish they'd re think their actions because I was a very loyal shopper and prefer Target to the other stores around here. But it is not worth it to compromise my values, especially since I am my children's biggest example.

• Like 2

This seems a little over the top for me. Then again, though, I am generally not the type of person who is active in these sorts of things, plus I do not even shop there to begin with so it does not really apply to me. When it comes to issues like this, I think that it is something that is perfectly within the right of people to do, and it is a free market. I am not exactly sure of the case or whose views are the ones shaping the policies, but in most cases it is effecting people who are just trying to do their jobs, so in that sense you might need to have some reservations about it. It is certainly an interesting news piece, though, and I will be curious to see where it goes.

In somewhat related news, there was an individual arrested for felony voyeurism in a Target store. Said person identified as Transgender. The alleged perpetrator was caught taking pictures women in the changing room. There is details on the case here: Transgender Person Arrested For Taking Pictures Of Woman In Target Dressing Room

• Like 3

In somewhat related news, there was an individual arrested for felony voyeurism in a Target store. Said person identified as Transgender. The alleged perpetrator was caught taking pictures women in the changing room. There is details on the case here: Transgender Person Arrested For Taking Pictures Of Woman In Target Dressing Room

The proposed new laws regarding restroom use will make it easier for people to do this by pretending to be transgender.

I really have no problems with it as long as everything is kept legal. If they arent hurting anyone else im not going to stereotype or tell someone how to live their life I don't believe that is what being a christian is about. I am accepting of everyone.

We do not have a target in our general vicinity, but I do have an opinion on this subject. I believe there should be one bathroom choice for transgender people. I do not want to share a bathroom with a man, nor do I want my child in the restroom a man is in-even if the man chooses to dress like a woman or "identifies" with being a woman. I realize as a Christian we should be tolerant of others. I am very tolerant, as long as what they want to do does not interfere with me or with the safety of my child. Too many people have been caught already trying to say they are transgender and are just perverts trying to get in a different restroom. Stop the madness and go where you should go. Some transgender people are, in my opinion, looking the part good enough to pass for their identified gender. Who is going to question them if they are not making themselves known to be the other sex.

• Like 1

I feel that boycotting Target over this issue is taking it a little overboard. While I can see the point and do not want my kids going into the bathrooms with a transgender individual (just because they will ask questions that I do not have a good way of answering), this feeling only applies to the way the restrooms in the United States are currently setup. If you have been overseas, especially in the European countries, they already have it set up so that there is only one bathroom for everyone. The key difference for me is that in those bathrooms, each stall is treated is its own "room", completely separated from the rest of the bathroom. The "common" area is for washing hands and waiting in line only. Just opening up bathrooms in the United States to transgender without building in the proper privacy features is where I have the problem. Once the United States moves to one bathroom for everyone (which seems to be an issue of when and not if at this point), on the positive side, maybe knowing that females will use the bathroom also, males may be more inclined to treat it with more respect.

• Like 1

It appears that the boycott may be having some effect. Business Insider is reporting that overall sales have fallen 7.2% for the retailer. The company is now installing single-occupancy bathrooms in all of its many stores, at a cost of $20 Million. Details may be read here: Target is discounting everything to win shoppers back amid boycott

• Like 2

The company is now installing single-occupancy bathrooms in all of its many stores

If that is the case, perhaps it is time to stop the boycott.

If that is the case, perhaps it is time to stop the boycott.

Maybe. I think we'll take a "wait and see" approach. They fact they waded into the whole transgender thing from the get-go is concerning. That and their prices weren't all that great to be begin with. Still, it does appear they may be getting the message.

• Like 1

Just install single-occupancy bathrooms and everyone on every side of the issue is fine.

As an Englishman I am only familiar with separate gender toilets in shopping stores..

although I have heard about the gender neutral toilets I personally find it socially unacceptable.. it's certainly perverse, and is just asking for trouble.. it's children who I feel sorry for with a government who make life easier for pedophiles and perverts to do their filthy acts..

I see this topic more political than religious.. however we should all know how our faith feels towards the sexually immoral.. boycotting seems a fair deal to me.. but what I do not find fair is society becoming more sexually immoral & glamorising it as something to be proud of., as if it's cool to be a homosexual or transgender.. that's what bothers me personally.

• Like 1

Just install single-occupancy bathrooms and everyone on every side of the issue is fine.

I'll make a sign for the door

1490870999_cousinit.gif.4affb3b1284371deb88eba4075f83805.gif

God bless,

William

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Honestly, it's not like transgendered people only started existing yesterday and haven't been using their preferred restrooms all along. By and large, they're there to pee, not as part of any sinister agenda. I understand the concerns about pedophiles or other creepers posing as transgendered to creep on kids or other people, but small children shouldn't be left unattended in public restrooms anyway. Also the single occupancy restrooms would settle these concerns, which is why I think it's just the pragmatic option that no one on any side of the issue should have a major problem with.

How many genders are there? Two, three? More? You want everyone to use the restroom of their biological gender. Okay, which restroom do hermaphrodites use? You say that there are only 2 genders & that being transgender is a sin. First, transgender is not the same as cross-dressing which is a sin. Second, if you say that God doesn't make mistakes, does that mean that hermaphrodites are in sin if they try to correct that? There are many birth defects that are corrected surgically so why would it be a sin for them to seek corrective surgery? It is possible for people to be born with both physical gender so are you willing to say that transgendered people are always in sin? That it is never a matter of how they're mentally hard wired? Are you willing to make a blanket judgement against an entire class of people based on what could be a misunderstanding that verses prohibiting cross-dressing include transgender? What if you are wrong? What if some people are in a body not corresponding with their internal identity? Personally I'd rather give them the benefit of a doubt & let God judge them concerning whether they are wrong on these issues. And as far as the restrooms go, Europeans have been using unisex restrooms for decades, it's not that big a deal.

Okay, which restroom do hermaphrodites use?

How many people are hermaphrodites? The transgender controversy is about people who are clearly either male or female who see themselves as being of the opposite sex. If someone is genuinely androgyne so that his true sex can't be clearly determined I believe he should have the right to use the restroom of his choice, but people like this are very rare.

I'm not going to play God & declare by my divine fiat that there's nothing to the transgender issue & that they're all perverts who are confused. Doctors have said that there are legitimate issues involved, but conservative Christians assume that those doctors are all either lying or just have an agenda. It seems a lot more like when people were burned at the stake for believing that the earth orbits around the sun, until they found out that the verses they were relying on don't have anything to do with the issues involved. Of course by then it was too late for the people who were burned.

I'm not going to play God & declare by my divine fiat that there's nothing to the transgender issue & that they're all perverts who are confused. Doctors have said that there are legitimate issues involved, but conservative Christians assume that those doctors are all either lying or just have an agenda. It seems a lot more like when people were burned at the stake for believing that the earth orbits around the sun, until they found out that the verses they were relying on don't have anything to do with the issues involved. Of course by then it was too late for the people who were burned.

Your post is funny! For hundreds if not thousands of years transgenderism has been known as a psychological abnormality. A/k/a crazy! Are their legitimate issues with crazy people. Of course they are real issues. That doesn't mean that you start making laws to make crazy people think they are sane. Now that would also be crazy!!! Hint, hint.

• Like 2

I've never liked shopping at Target and as a truck driver, I can tell you delivering to their warehouses is no picnic, either. If these people want to stick their toe into the deep side of the populist pool, let them. They will reap the benefits of catoring to a small insignificant group of confused people while ignoring the greater part of society that really just wants to live their lives and don't want other peoples politics shoved down their throat.

President Obama started this, not by putting any political effort into accomplishing anything for the Transgender community, but it toss out a mandate that would send the religious community into spasms. He did that as a ploy to rally the Democratic base against what he most likely saw as a strong Republican chance of taking the White House. All they had was a women who was almost universally disliked and he needed a issue that might bring more people out than just what Hillary would do.

Thank God that bid didn't take flight, because if it did, we would be far worse off than just dealing with Danny in a Dress waiting inline to tinkle in the ladies room.

• Like 1

Honestly, it's not like transgendered people only started existing yesterday and haven't been using their preferred restrooms all along. By and large, they're there to pee, not as part of any sinister agenda. I understand the concerns about pedophiles or other creepers posing as transgendered to creep on kids or other people, but small children shouldn't be left unattended in public restrooms anyway. Also the single occupancy restrooms would settle these concerns, which is why I think it's just the pragmatic option that no one on any side of the issue should have a major problem with.

Two sexes male and female The whole concept of genders is to blur the distinctions between men and women and generate sexual confusion.