The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism. Those who would challenge the peace and harmony that we enjoy here as fellow believers are directed to another website.
Sign in to follow this  
motirattan

Can an unbaptized be saved?

I wanna know whether an unbaptized can be saved. I'm born in a typical Hindu family following Radhasoami sect which worships prophets and pagan gods.But in a past few months I came to know more about Jesus. I've accept him as my saviour and my lord and believed that he is God's only begotten son and he died for the sake of my sins but my family is still forcing me to worship pagan prophets and pagan gods and won't allow me to get baptized. What should I do.Please help me.

• Like 1

God is fully aware of the circumstances of our lives and knows if we are unable to obey his commands fully. Water baptism isn't essential for salvation. It is the means by which a saved person publicly declares that he is a follower of Christ. Every new Christian should be baptized if possible, but God is just and won't blame you for something that is beyond your control. You should pray for the salvation of your family and try to show by your life the difference being a follower of Christ makes.

The Bible tells of a man named Naaman who became a believer in the true God but was forced by his profession to sometimes attend a place of worship of a false God. You can read the complete account here:

http://legacy.esvbible.org/search/2%20Kings%205/

Here is what he said to Elisha the prophet:

Then Naaman said, “If not, please let there be given to your servant two mule loads of earth, for from now on your servant will not offer burnt offering or sacrifice to any god but the LORD. In this matter may the LORD pardon your servant: when my master goes into the house of Rimmon to worship there, leaning on my arm, and I bow myself in the house of Rimmon, when I bow myself in the house of Rimmon, the LORD pardon your servant in this matter.”

Elisha said to him, “Go in peace.”

(2 Kings 5:17-19 ESV)

Live for Christ as much as you can; God looks at our hearts as well as our outward actions and knows when we want to obey him. I will pray that God will give you wisdom to know how to deal with your family and that they will come to know Jesus.

• Like 3

Thanks for your suggestion and advice. May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ,the Messiah be with you.

I'm born in a typical Hindu family following Radhasoami sect.My family isn't allow to be a Christian but I've accepted Jesus as my saviour and lord .I have been reading the God's word for past three months but don't know which church should follow or which teaching or rules should I prefer to adopt.Please help me. I prefer vegetarian church. Please prefer me a set of rules to adopt and walk in his glory.

Please prefer me a set of rules to adopt and walk in his glory.

Rules? If you want rules, you've misunderstood something about Christianity. There are no rules. Let Jesus be your guide. Read the Scriptures and learn.

PermaFrost

I prefer vegetarian church.

If you can't find a vegetarian church you can still follow a vegetarian diet.

Elisha said to him, “Go in peace.”

(2 Kings 5:17-19 ESV)

"Go in peace" is not an expression of approval for Naaman to bow to bow to a false god. It's simply avoidance of a reply. And, If Elisha did express approval, it would violate one of the most important and clearest teachings of scripture. You might try looking at what Jesus said about family to find something of greater relevance, anyway.

My opinion is that Naaman was a lost cause and Elisha didn't want to get into a pointless argument. Even after seeing the power of God, he still thought it might be okay to bow to a pagan god. I don't get any since from the text that Naaman is righteous. Even after being healed and seeing the power of God, he still treated it as a commercial act and he still offered payment. Do you know who Naaman is? That rank he held? And, shortly after this, in spite or because of his influence, his state went to war with Israel. I think God was honoring the faith of the Israelite slave girl who sent Naaman to be healed. And, also God was expressing disapproval of Israel, as the NT reveals by citing Naaman.

Alternatively, maybe the text means that Naaman is asking for a pardon for past worship of a false god, and not for approval for future worship of a false god. I think it this is allowed by the Hebrew grammar.

In any case, approval for pagan worship is not an acceptable interpretation.

Rules? If you want rules, you've misunderstood something about Christianity. There are no rules. Let Jesus be your guide. Read the Scriptures and learn.

PermaFrost

By rules I mean commandments like the Law given through Moses.

Rule #1 of Christianity = the First Commandment: You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’

• Like 2

I believe the difference is between the regenerate and natural man. Ezekiel 36:26-27 says the born again believer will receive a new heart that is receptive and obedient to God. And the Spirit within will "cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules."

Romans 3:31 "Do we then overthrow the law by this faith? By no means! On the contrary, we uphold the law." We are not Justified by the law, actually, the law that is in this respect is opposed to faith.

Rule #1 of Christianity = the First Commandment: You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’

The fact is, Jesus quoted the two greatest commandments which are law:

1. Deuteronomy 6:5, “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might."
  2. Leviticus 19:18, "You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD."

I think the two greatest commandments were a response to an expert in the law that was trying to Justify himself through the law. Please read about Shema: What is Shema? While this is impossible for us to do 24/7 365 days a year, the natural man will have no inclination or desire to do so, but God does not look at what man can do but what man ought to do; since in this infirmity of the flesh it is impossible that perfect love can obtain dominion.

God bless,

William

Christianity has no such rules as you understand the term «Rules». There are no rituals to follow, no incantations to pronounce, no statues to bow to. Cornelius' post, above, gives you the closest thing to a «rule» Christianity has; but this isn't a command. Rather, it is a state of being that is natural to the born-again believer in God. If you are a Christian, you will want to love your God with the all the measure of faith He has given you.

Why do you want rules? Is this desire a vestige from your Hindu past?

PermaFrost

Christianity has no such rules as you understand the term «Rules». There are no rituals to follow, no incantations to pronounce, no statues to bow to. Cornelius' post, above, gives you the closest thing to a «rule» Christianity has; but this isn't a command. Rather, it is a state of being that is natural to the born-again believer in God. If you are a Christian, you will want to love your God with the all the measure of faith He has given you.

Why do you want rules? Is this desire a vestige from your Hindu past?

PermaFrost

Motirattan meant commandments. There are both OT and NT commandments we are to follow, but you're right PermaFrost, the regenerate believer will want to love our God with all the measure of faith that has been give us.

God bless,

William

I wanna know whether an unbaptized can be saved. I'm born in a typical Hindu family following Radhasoami sect which worships prophets and pagan gods.But in a past few months I came to know more about Jesus. I've accept him as my saviour and my lord and believed that he is God's only begotten son and he died for the sake of my sins but my family is still forcing me to worship pagan prophets and pagan gods and won't allow me to get baptized. What should I do.Please help me.

Yes, an unbaptized person can be saved. Baptism is not required for salvation, but it should be done in obedience. We are commissioned to go and baptize, I believe, and this is my personal opinion, that it does nothing more than provide arguments against us as hypocrites that are baptizing when we ourselves have never been baptized.

Also, Motirattan, both of your posts have been moved from a previous category that is meant for website suggestions to here. Please find the appropriate category to place your questions, and welcome to the forum!

God bless,

William

Motirattan, salvation has nothing to do with baptism. Salvation happens in two steps. The first is when you repent for your sins and ask God for forgiveness. The second is when you accept Jesus Christ in your heart as the only begotten son of God who came from heaven, died on cross to pay for our sins and resurrected after three days from the grave. That's all about salvation or being saved. If you have done this then you are saved and become a Christian and your soul will not go to hell after death because Jesus had already paid the penalty for your sins by dying on the cross at Calvary. If you have not done this yet, don't worry, God wants you to be saved. Read the bible and then pray to God for forgiveness (It does not have to be a sophisticated prayer. Just pray in your language like you ask for something from your dad and ask Him to save you from sins). Then you have to understand that Jesus is God and he came down from heaven, died on cross and rose up from grave just so that your soul can reach heaven after death. You should also remember that once you have truly accepted Jesus and became a sincere Christian, nothing and noone can take Jesus away from you and make you a non-Christian anymore. You will always remain one until your death.

Now, about baptism. Baptism is a symbolic ritual ordained by God, that Christians do to show to the world that they are Christian. They do it because Jesus did it to show the world that He is God's blameless son and God is pleased in Him. Does that mean He was not God's son or God was angry with Him before? No. But, He did it to proclaim His Godliness to the world. Just a little while after that He started teaching and taking disciples etc. So baptism is a very good thing, but for a Christian it is not necessary for salvation. You can take the example of the thief who was with Jesus at the cross and was going to heaven. He was not baptized but Jesus said to him "Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise." So if you are saved and not baptized, rest assured. You are going to heaven anyway. Now, as a Christian you should not wait for baptism, it will naturally come to you or one day you will get an offer from another Christian to be baptized. Don't neglect that offer and be baptized then because rejecting baptism indicates there is a problem with the faith.

Now, the most important part of this is having a bible. Now, most of the modern bible and almost all good ones are copyrighted. So you cannot get one for free unless someone buys it and gifts it to you. So if you want, you can buy hardcopy of bible. But the best thing would be to read bible through software. In that way, you don't have to pay a buck and no one can take away and destroy the bible from you. Go to "2. Download Free Bible Software." in the below link and download a free bible software. They include some copyrighted bibles with them because these softwares pay a royalty to the copyrighter.

http://christianity.about.com/od/pra.../freebible.htm

You should note that while reading Bible you have access to a lot of other commentary and opinions. Disregard them and read ONLY THE BIBLE and NOTHING ELSE. Form your thoughts only on the Bible. Also you should get a good translation like NASB, ESV, KJV, NKJV etc. I suggest ESV for you because it will be in modern English. The sequence by which you should read is this: The Gospel of John (called the salvation gospel because it is the most important book of the bible), other gospels, rest of the New Testament, the Old Testament (This will take too long so even if you read a summary for now it is Ok).

Feel free to ask any further questions if you have.

EDIT: Use Bibletime or Xiphos. It is open source which means the price is zero. It's good, Ive used it.

http://bibletime.info/

http://xiphos.org/

Another thing. You parents cannot possibly force you to do something if your constitution grants your religious freedom. Tell them that you have fundamental rights to practice your religion. But if you are under 18 and depend on your parent they can force you out. I'd suggest respect and obey them but put your final trust in Bible. One day you will be free to do what you prefer.

Edited by inlight12
  • Like 1

I'm born in a typical Hindu family following Radhasoami sect.My family isn't allow to be a Christian but I've accepted Jesus as my saviour and lord .I have been reading the God's word for past three months but don't know which church should follow or which teaching or rules should I prefer to adopt.Please help me. I prefer vegetarian church. Please prefer me a set of rules to adopt and walk in his glory.

Came back to say that you don't have to be following rules to become Christians. But there are certain rules that you should follow AFTER you are Christians. I shall explain it to you later because it is a bit difficult to understand. Also if you can't find a church which you can attend, you do not have to (at least for now). You can get that opportunity later in life. For now learn and acquire knowledge.

Also you can be 100% vegetarian and be 100% Christian. But you won't find a vegetarian church. I'm sorry but if you go to church, you have to be in presence of meat eaters. But I can't see your problem here. Nobody eats meat in the church.

But the best thing would be to read bible through software.

If you choose to do this you should obtain a hardcopy anyway so you will be able to read it if you don't have access to a computer.

If you choose to do this you should obtain a hardcopy anyway so you will be able to read it if you don't have access to a computer.
True, but now a days with cell phones and tablets there is no reason to be without a Bible.

Another thing. You parents cannot possibly force you to do something if your constitution grants your religious freedom. Tell them that you have fundamental rights to practice your religion. But if you are under 18 and depend on your parent they can force you out. I'd suggest respect and obey them but put your final trust in Bible. One day you will be free to do what you prefer.

Thanks for the link and your concern but conditions are becoming worse. I'm just 14 so I'm dependent on my parents. Also my mom scolds me when I read the Bible online or pray to Jesus or talk anything about Jesus.

She has warned me that if I continue to read the Bible and love Jesus, then she will commit suicide. But I'm still reading the Bible.I'm very curious. She said that after her death I can do whatever I want but till that I've to worship, love and make my God only the head of their sect and participate in their rituals and eat their sacrificed stuff forcefully. I don't know what to do.

Thanks for the link and your concern but conditions are becoming worse. I'm just 14 so I'm dependent on my parents. Also my mom scolds me when I read the Bible online or pray to Jesus or talk anything about Jesus. She has warned me that if I continue to read the Bible and love Jesus, then she will commit suicide. But I'm still reading the Bible.I'm very curious. She said that after her death I can do whatever I want but till that I've to worship, love and make my God only the head of their sect and participate in their rituals and eat their sacrificed stuff forcefully. I don't know what to do.

I am sorry about your condition and I will pray for you.

Moti, until and unless you are adult, you have to obey your mum and dad. But when you become adult and earn for yourself, you have your own rights and no one can tell you what you do under any circumstances. When you are adult and if someone says he/she will commit suicide if you do/do not do certain acts, then that becomes their problem and under the court of law that kind of tactics will be considered emotional manipulation and will not stand. So I suggest you hold on to your goal until you become self-sufficient and pray to Jesus. Try to adjust with everybody, love and obey your mother and father and be patient. He will show you the way when the time will come.

Lastly, if you are truly saved, not only your mother or father, even a king with an army of trillions will not be able to stop you from coming to Jesus. He will draw you near, no matter what. Your soul (in fact all souls) is His property, not just any earthly spirit.

• Like 1

I don't know what to do.

One thing you can and should do is pray that your parents will see the truth and come to believe in Jesus.

• Like 1

Please tell me which denomination I should follow that sticks to the bible. I don't know which to follow whether Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox, Seventh Day Adventist, etc.

Please tell me which denomination I should follow that sticks to the bible. I don't know which to follow whether Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox, Seventh Day Adventist, etc.

Definitely not Catholic or Orthodox. Or even Anglican or Seventh Day Adventist. These churches teach heresy (things that Jesus did not teach) and would divert you from the path of God. I'd suggest Baptist, because in my opinion it's beliefs are most close to Bible. But other than that I can also suggest Presbyterian, Pentecostal etc. Make sure you join a Conservative Protestant church.

Just remember. Bible is your final authority and it is written in very simple language. Read and understand it to form your own thoughts about it (without any commentaries etc.). Now judge whether a denomination follows the teachings of Bible or not. Then choose the correct one. Ok?

• Like 1

I would suggest any Reformed Protestant Denomination. Reformed because of the Five Solas, and especially because you're emphasizing Sola Scriptura. If you're not familiar, then I recommend the Lutheran (Missouri Synod) and Presbyterian (OPC and PCA) churches. Remember, all denominations should confess the essential creeds of Christendom. Despite all denominations agreeing on these central and core truths you'll run into many doctrinal divisions. If you cannot find a Reformed church, then I would recommend a conservative church like innerlight suggested. We have an entire Reformed Theology section in the forum, in case you're unfamiliar and interested.

God bless,

William