The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
hoolep

A secret of keeping healthy

Last month, I went to the the beauty salon with my friends. Once I got there, my beauticians asserted that I must often stay up late by seeing my face. I was so astonished because what she said can’t be more correct. I did usually stay up all night. She said with smile, "Because your face has turned yellow…" Then I just realized that if keeping staying up late for a long time, even though we slept as long as usual , our mental state would get worse obviously, no matter what we eat and drink, nutrition cannot be absorbed well, our health can not be remained. I realized that since the time of the beginning when God created the heaven and earth, God had set the healthy regular daily routine for man, as beginning to work at sunrise and retiring at sunset. However I didnot follow this rule, which did harm to my health. So I re-adjust my schedule, earlier to sleep and earlier to rise. Soon my whole spirit state became better obviously. Have you found what is the secret of keeping healthy I am sharing with you? Yes, that is following the rules from God. That's really important, isn't it? God bless you!

• Like 2

For keeping healthy, we just need to obey natural laws of life God created. When the season is abundant for fruits and vegetables,we just eat more these things. In addition, less being angry and maintaining a good temperament are also very important.

• Like 1

"Because your face has turned yellow…"

Wow - I've never heard this before = and I'm delighted that your beautician is so open and honest with you! I work in a medical office, and I am so surprised that there are so many unhealthy people around, yet they are oblivious to how their poor choices result in so many ailments. I do a lot of good things for good health, but I also have some bad habits. Enough sleep is one of them. I've been drinking too much coffee lately and it affects my sleep. Even though I don't drink coffee past 3:00 pm ,it is the 3 very large cups of coffee before then that I think still interrupt my sleep patterns.

Thanks for sharing this.

For keeping healthy, we just need to obey natural laws of life God created.

Well said, Jennifer!

• Like 1

That's a funny comment, Cornelius.

A quote from your link:, "Our current lifestyle is one long feast." So true! Even the term "breakfast" - as in "break the fast" gets ignored, Many people continue eating too late at night, and even throughout the night ("Dagwood" comic strip") so there hasn't been time for even an 8 hour fast1

I ascribe to the wisdom that says one should be as thin as possible while maintaining a healthy weight. Funny though, since I enjoy exercise, my body composition contains a lot of muscle, and since muscle weighs more than fat, my BMI is actually close to "overweight" - but I'm clearly not overweight to look at me!

• Like 1

I'm not fat by many means, and I practice occasional fasting. But, at some point I noticed that when I'm not fasting, I essentially eat to the point of were eating more would be uncomfortable. I think most people are like this. Not only is life an endless feast, but we feast until we're stuffed. No wonder so many people are fat. As for myself, I now eat reasonable portions and then stop. I no longer eat until I'm stuffed.

• Like 1

I have gluttonous moments, but not every day. And I generally eat "real food" like fresh fruits and vegetables, home cooked meals. I eat very little of any type of "processed food", aka "factory food", But those are the things I eat too much of when I do over-indulge. Like last night's ice cream feast. Way too much. But today was a usual moderate day of eating good food and a couple pieces of chocolate. I pay attention to how my clothes fit so I manage my eating habits to keep my wardrobe comfortable.

I'm not interested in fasting for a full day. I like to exercise and want to maintain enough food intake to be active. I take brisk walks during breaks at work, and I exercise most mornings.

• Like 2

To me, the 'secret' is having a balance of body, mind and faith. Eating healthy, working out, stretching, sleeping well, and most importantly, having Jesus at the front and center of one's life. Having a strong faith can reduce stress, and make you an all around happier and more joyful person, which I honestly believe more people would experience, if they had a solid relationship with Christ. :)

• Like 1

To me, the 'secret' is having a balance of body, mind and faith. Eating healthy, working out, stretching, sleeping well, and most importantly, having Jesus at the front and center of one's life. Having a strong faith can reduce stress, and make you an all around happier and more joyful person, which I honestly believe more people would experience, if they had a solid relationship with Christ. :)

Thank your for replying. just as you say ,it makes me think about these verses:Rejoice evermore.Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks:for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.(5:16-18). Maybe this is the most important secret of keeping healthy. Share them with you. God bless!:)

• Like 1

A little wine is good for stomach ailments (1 timothy 5:23) so I tend to follow that piece of scripture from time to time and it does help keep me in balance and feeling healthier and I also like to drink clean water and not the stuff that is overly chlorinated because burns my throat and stomach so I'm back to the wine.

I've taken vitamin and mineral supplements my whole life, and these days I'm moving more towards the natural side of eating, doing my research and learning which foods contain what, and how healthy they are. I've discovered horseradish as a wonder cure for just about anything that ails a person, including the obvious... sinus issues, as the stuff will clear your head quite easily, thank you very much. :eek: I've also done some research into black coffee, not as a stimulant, but as a liver cleansing agent.... very interesting reading. Keeping toxins out and stress levels down, are all big aspects of staying healthy, so that's what I've been working on lately.

good sleep is vital for the human body. getting enough sleep will make your mind sound and smart. and God instructed us to take care of our body. Thank you for this lovely post.

good sleep is vital for the human body. getting enough sleep will make your mind sound and smart. and God instructed us to take care of our body. Thank you for this lovely post.

I quite agree with you good sleep is very important to the body. Sleep can help relax the entire body put all the systems in normal conditions. It is vital for growth of the body tissues and soundness of the heart and entire body.

You should reduce your sugars in your diet and eat more fruits and vegetables, also cooking with olive oil is a good idea as well. I would eat more whole grains,while cooking at home helps you control all that extra sugar and unhealthy fats that they put in take out foods. I would drink plenty of water and have a glass of wine with your meal as well for digestive purposes,also I would eat smaller portions,because when you eat out there is no portion control. You should get regular exercise and get plenty of sleep as well.

Yes, I have experienced healing by getting to sleep earlier over a period of about a month. I currently have health issues that are getting worse because my work keeps me up and I can usually only get to sleep about 10-10:30pm. I have read, but don't have the sources, that there is a certain amount of healing that takes place in the first few hours when you sleep, but it has to be according to the natural circadian rhythm, which like you mentioned is sundown to sunrise, just as God created it to be. They actually did a study on nurses who work day shifts and night shifts and found that the ones working night shifts had more health problems and a much higher risk for cancer. And like you mentioned, eating the original diet that God planned for us (fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, seeds, nuts, water) is the best way to stay healthy. God bless!

This is an interesting read: http://cyrcadiahealth.com/working-night-shift-and-its-link-to-breast-cancer/

By having a healthy lifestyle,everyone can reduce the risk of getting heart disease.

1.Eat fish high in omega-3s, such as salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring and trout.

2.A handful of healthy nuts such as almonds or walnuts will satisfy your hunger and help your heart.

3.Try blueberries, strawberries, cranberries or raspberries in cereal or yogurt.

4.Oatmeal

5.Dark beans,such as kidney or black beans, are high in fiber, B-vitamins, minerals and other good stuff.

6.A 4-ounce glass of red wine (up to two for men and one for women per day) can help improve good (HDL) cholesterol levels.

7.Try marinated tofu in a stir-fry with fresh veggies for a heart-healthy lunch or dinner.

8.veggies such as carrots, sweet potatoes, red peppers and acorn squash are packed with carotenoids, fiber and vitamins to help your heart.

9.spinach packs a punch! Use it in sandwiches and salads instead of lettuce.

10.Fruits such as oranges, cantaloupes and papaya are rich in beta-carotene, potassium, magnesium and fiber.

11.Tender, sweet asparagus is filled with mighty nutrients such as beta-carotene, folate and fiber, and only provide 25 calories per cup, or 5 calories per large spear.

12.Tomatoes – even sun-dried varieties in winter months – provide lycopene, vitamin C and alpha- and beta-carotene.

13.Dark chocolate is good for your heart health

14.Crisp, fresh broccoli florets dipped in hummus are a terrific heart-healthy snack with a whopping list of nutrients, including vitamins C and E, potassium, calcium and fiber.

Include these foods in your diet in a controlled way.Fore more on health,refer Top Cardiac hospital in Kerala.If your family members is having heart disease,then you have the chance of getting heart disease.Along with this diet do exercise,quit smoking and control weight.

I eat many healthy foods, and grow tomatoes. asparagus, strawberries, raspberries, rhubarb, and many other veggies. Have 3 nanking cherry bushes that should start fruiting this year. I bicycle 8 to 10 miles part of the way to work and back every day. Keeps my heart healthy.

• Like 1

The Cafe in the public library near work is under new ownership. I noticed they sold small containers of mixed veggies for $3 which included some dip, Ranch or other flavors. It had sliced green peppers, cucumbers, broccoli, baby carrots, cauliflower. I said, "give me one of those!" A much healthier snack than a bag of Doritos!

Add green tea to your diet on early morning and includes fruits and vegetables in your diet.You can add oat meal also.

Yep, I drink green tea all the time, as well as many other herbal teas! I eat raw oatmeal quite a bit in the morning, usually add some fruit to it too.