The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Innerfire89

Are false teachers ever redeemed?

I wasn't sure where I should put this exactly. But my question to you is, are false teachers ever redeemed?  It seems to me that the anwser is no, thier teaching of false gospels proves them to be non elect.

A few verse that make me think this.

2Peter 2:17

17These are springs without water and mists driven by a storm, for whom the black darkness has been reserved.

Galatians 1:8

8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

They are not redeemed unless they repent.

• Like 1

Might Paul be an example?

Aquilla and Priscilla?  

Rather than a blanket statement, we might look at each case.  

If a person is a false teacher and does not repent they are apparently not saved.

37 minutes ago, GaoLu said:

Aquilla and Priscilla?  

If a person is a false teacher and does not repent they are apparently not saved.

Teachers of a false gospel.

I think those that preach "a different gospel" have (1) "another Jesus" and (2) "a different spirit" (2 Corinthians 11:4).

Since they have a different spirit and not the Holy Spirit they are not saved (Romans 8:9).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Innerfire89 said:

I wasn't sure where I should put this exactly. But my question to you is, are false teachers ever redeemed?  It seems to me that the anwser is no, thier teaching of false gospels proves them to be non elect.

17These are springs without water and mists driven by a storm, for whom the black darkness has been reserved.

8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed.

Plenty of cultic leaders and members have repented and been added to the flock?

Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormon's for starters.

The Scriptures tell us if you dont know what you are talking about you are damned forever . ? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Truth7t7 said:

I don't know any of these people to know if that's true or not.

I'm more interested in what Scriputure says on the matter.

3 hours ago, Becky said:

The Scriptures tell us if you dont know what you are talking about you are damned forever . ? 

I should have been more specific.

I'm talking about those that teach another gospel.

I believe His grace covers a lot of dumb stuff when we ask. 

Act 8:22  Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee. 
1Jn 1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 

5 hours ago, Becky said:

Depends on how you convey the information. For example, how many times have we heard someone claim that the Holy Spirit (God) told them to tell us this or that? Are they not touching upon the office of prophet? How many times was a prophet in OT allowed false prophecy? 

I think a study which distinguishes between prophet and teacher might make for a fruitful discussion, but I'll chime in and suggest the main difference is between revelation and illumination. 

To what degree is blaspheming the Holy Spirit forgivable?

5 hours ago, Innerfire89 said:

I should have been more specific.

I'm talking about those that teach another gospel.

When I, by the grace of God, repented and turned to the Lord I was so ignorant of many things of the Bible. If someone asked me about believing in the Trinity and a whole host of other doctrines I would be simply dumbfounded as to how to correctly answer them. I think though if a person is a (true) believer the Lord through His Spirit will (in His time) reveal these truths to them. - May we be gentle with new believers in the faith.

I think this is quite different from someone who has been reading the Bible for an extended period of time along with the fact that evidence for such doctrines of the Trinity have been presented to them and they respond by saying "No." If one is in a position of actually teaching the Bible the words of James 3:1 ought to be seriously considered before doing so.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:15 PM, Innerfire89 said:

No, false teachers cannot be redeemed because if they were they would , as all true believers do , have the indwelling Holy Spirit . They cannot teach light when they are possessed by darkness. And in them no truth dwells .

Edited by Matthew Duvall
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:32 AM, Truth7t7 said:

Perhaps a few have repented and been added to the flock . But I doubt seriously if "plenty " have ever repented and been added to the flock. Then there is the genuineness of a true conversion  who are in question. Is their repentance all the work of the Holy Spirit ? Or did they just have a change of heart and " decided to become a Christian " . Like so many do .

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:20 AM, GaoLu said:

Aquilla and Priscilla?  

Paul's testimony never involved what he did to be reconciled to God. His testimony was what Christ did for him on the road to Damascus .

7 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

No, false teachers cannot be redeemed because if they were they would , as all true believers do , have the indwelling Holy Spirit . They cannot teach light when they are possessed by darkness. And in them no truth dwells .

Although I wouldn't say they can't be redeemed, I'm leaning towards agreeing with you. I'm not seeing anything in Scriputure that indicates false teachers are ever redeemed.

On 11/7/2018 at 11:43 PM, Innerfire89 said:

Although I wouldn't say they can't be redeemed, I'm leaning towards agreeing with you. I'm not seeing anything in Scriputure that indicates false teachers are ever redeemed.

It is very difficult to lead them to the foot of the cross, I've planted and watered but never reaped that crop.

• Like 1

Are there any teachers that do not teach false doctrine in one area or another? Denominationalism suggests they do.

False teachers IMO, dont know God or they would not be teaching false doctrines.

Jesus told us to beware of false prophets, I view them as the same thing.

Unless God reveals to them the truth then they will remain captive to Satan's will.

If someone is captive to the devil's will, are those people saved?

Paul wrote about opponents to the grace of God who were captured by the devil, that it was up to God to grant repentance.

So if no repentance is granted, then there is no relationship with God is there, so then Christ will say to them, I never knew you.

Edited by sdowney717