The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Christforums

The Week Ahead in Defense: April 16, 2018

B1s are incredible. I know there are larger aircraft, but an aircraft of its size with payload to deliver its ordinance at greater than the speed of sound leaves me in awe.

B1B.jpg.b7c380c6e4b16019cf544be71a09887d.jpg

God bless,

William

• Like 1

B1s are incredible. I know there are larger aircraft, but an aircraft of its size with payload to deliver its ordinance at greater than the speed of sound leaves me in awe.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","height":"510","width":"680","data-attachmentid":70444}[/ATTACH]

God bless,

William

They were originally designed as a Mach 2 low level penetrator carrying nuclear weapons, but were somewhat redesigned when doctrine changed with the advent of the B2 bomber which as you know is stealth...

Over the years it has morphed into a conventional weapons aircraft thru the changing/upgrades of avionics and new bomb/missile racks. It is supposed to be receiving major avionics/radar upgrades (about right now if the money is available) and is scheduled to continue flying until 2036 or so. As of this moment there is nothing on the drawing board (that I'm aware of) to replace the B1s and B52s (both are fine birds I spent 7 years with BUFFS at KI Sawyer and 10 years with Lancers at Dyess). There was a proposed replacement but it was schitt canned 2-3 years ago...

There is a replacement for the B2 coming which is designated B21 but am not sure when it will make it's debut. Speaking of stealth you might like this: http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a2dd91_cd5494417b644d1fa7d7aacb9295324d.pdf

• Like 1

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","height":"510","width":"680","data-attachmentid":70444}[/ATTACH]

God bless,

William

They were originally designed as a Mach 2 low level penetrator carrying nuclear weapons, but were somewhat redesigned when doctrine changed with the advent of the B2 bomber which as you know is stealth...

Over the years it has morphed into a conventional weapons aircraft thru the changing/upgrades of avionics and new bomb/missile racks. It is supposed to be receiving major avionics/radar upgrades (about right now if the money is available) and is scheduled to continue flying until 2036 or so. As of this moment there is nothing on the drawing board (that I'm aware of) to replace the B1s and B52s (both are fine birds I spent 7 years with BUFFS at KI Sawyer and 10 years with Lancers at Dyess). There was a proposed replacement but it was schitt canned 2-3 years ago...

There is a replacement for the B2 coming which is designated B21 but am not sure when it will make it's debut. Speaking of stealth you might like this: http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a2dd91_cd5494417b644d1fa7d7aacb9295324d.pdf

Ziggy, when the AF modified the B1 to a CAS role for GWOT they added a targeting pod with FMV (full motion video). The JTACs and JFOs love it!

• Like 1

There is a replacement for the B2 coming which is designated B21 but am not sure when it will make it's debut. Speaking of stealth you might like this: Link

Thanks for that PDF file. It will come in handy in my work.

Here are a couple more news announcements:

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/americas-lethal-new-b-21-vs-the-b-2-stealth-bomber-15352

http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/Air_Force_makes_way_for_the_B-21_Raider_to_replace_B-1B_B-2_bombers_999.html

• Like 1

So now they've decided to use the B21 to replace the B1, that must be the reason they schitt canned the other design. Or maybe it was because of the funding needed to develop it in conjunction with developing the B21...

Ziggy, when the AF modified the B1 to a CAS role for GWOT they added a targeting pod with FMV (full motion video). The JTACs and JFOs love it!

Is this the pod you're referring to???

• Like 1

Are you fellas currently in the Aeronautical industry? Are any of you Air Force or Navy Vets? I was Air Force, an F-16 Crew Chief stationed out of Shaw AFB South Carolina back in the early 90s.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Are you fellas currently in the Aeronautical industry? Are any of you Air Force or Navy Vets? I was Air Force, an F-16 Crew Chief stationed out of Shaw AFB South Carolina back in the early 90s.

God bless,

William

I was AF from 79-99 retired as an E7...

• Like 2

I was AF from 79-99 retired as an E7...

Awesome, and thank you for your service. I'm loving our newfound fellowship. Look forward to diving into more topics which we hold a mutual interest in.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

So now they've decided to use the B21 to replace the B1, that must be the reason they schitt canned the other design. Or maybe it was because of the funding needed to develop it in conjunction with developing the B21...

I think the AF was always 'keen' on getting rid of the B1 line. It was not until the GWOT they found a useful way to get greater CAS and AI loiter time with larger payload. So they found some utility in the aircraft and extended the program. I remember when with DoD and the last of the START treaties went into effect which pretty much de-nuclearized the B1 as we had the B2 by then.

The Joint force was used to a Desert Storm high intensity conflict scenario where CAS and AI requests were take off, fly to IP, get call, drop bombs or strafe and RTB. With the COIN fight in GWOT it was not a specific target on the ground as it was having aircraft available during a 2-4 hour window (VUL). The B1 and B52 then became great candidates for CAS as their loiter time is a lot more than a fighter jet, more payload and no real ADA threats.

• Like 1

Is this the pod you're referring to???

Yes, that's the one. There are two others but don't have my book handy right now. :) They started putting Laser Mavs on the F-16s when I was in theater last which was a big help with tracking moving targets.

God bless,

William

Thank you for your service William! I was an Army Field Artillery officer with most of my time working with AF, Navy and Marines as a Fire Support officer. I served three tours in Iraq after 9/11 working on Multinational staffs at the Division and Corps level. My job was to integrate all Joint fires assets fixed wing, attack helo, artillery, electronic warfare and multiple launch rockets in support of ground operations.

• Like 1

I think the AF was always 'keen' on getting rid of the B1 line.

Yeah she was the "redheaded stepchild or black sheep of the family" for awhile and I think that's because she was different (stick instead of a yoke and swing wing, don't think the old fogey bomber boys liked that) and had a lot of teething problems (leaking fuel tanks, first stage engine fans, windshields and a bunch of other nit noid stuff). She really wasn't fully mission capable until after we took all birds off of nuclear alert in 91 or 92 and even then still had issues up until I retired. There has been some proposals like adding some stealth technology and to outfit her with 4 F22 Raptor Pratt and Whitney F119 engines to restore her Mach 2 capabilities, but those went by the wayside when Boeing gave them a $ figure for those mods...

Yes, that's the one. There are two others but don't have my book handy right now. :)

Currently in use or proposed???

Yes, that's the one. There are two others but don't have my book handy right now. :)

Currently in use or proposed???

Currently in use.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Currently in use.

When you find your book let me know what they are...

Edited by Uncle Siggy
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:55 AM, Redleg said:

The AF has been wanting to replace the "Herky birds" for awhile now but guess money constraints haven't allowed that. In fact other newer birds still can't do what the C130s can do, a proposed buy of C27s to replace some older "E" models was given a thumbs down for that very reason. Since it looks like they are going to be around for the foreseeable future you might like to see what is coming out soon and she is one mean bird: https://www.military.com/dodbuzz/2018/05/09/special-operators-predict-ac-130j-will-be-most-requested-aircraft.html

Speaking of C27s it looks as if somebody did buy some of them and look where they ended up: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/u-s-air-force-shelving-brand-new-c-27j-spartans-article-1.1479580

Edited by Uncle Siggy