The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Zuno_Yazh

Defining Easter's Days And Nights

-

†. Matt 12:40 . . For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

In order to avoid confusion over the meanings of day and night relative to Christ's crucifixion and resurrection, I highly recommend that we avoid thinking in terms of 24-hour civil time and instead think in terms of time as Jesus understood it.

Jesus Christ-- whom John 1:1-3 and John 1:14 testify is God --was a citizen in the land of Israel 2,000 years ago; so I think that he, as both God and citizen, would know better than anybody alive today how to count and/or define days and nights back then.

According to his understanding-- as both God and citizen -- the properties of night and day are distinctly different: days are when the sun is up and nights are when the sun is down.

†. John 11:9-10 . . Are there not twelve hours in the day? If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world. But if anyone walks in the night, he stumbles, because the light is not in him.

The light of this world is the sun.

†. Gen 1:14 . . God said: Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night

†. Gen 1:16-17 . . God made two great lights--the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness.

So then; when Christ spoke of three days and three nights per Matt 12:40, he was speaking of three distinct time frames when the sun was up, and three distinct time frames when the sun was down; viz: relative to Christ's crucifixion and resurrection: days begin with sunrise and nights begin with sundown; which obviously rules out Friday for crucifixion day seeing as how it is impossible to produce a third night between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning.

Days divided into twelve equal periods of sunlight were regulated by what's known as temporal hours; which vary in length in accordance with the time of year. There are times of the year at Jerusalem's latitude when this world's light consists of less than 12 normal hours of sun, and sometimes more; but when Jesus was here; the official number of hours was always twelve regardless.

I don't exactly know why the Jews of that era divided their days into twelve equal periods of sunlight regardless of the seasons, but I suspect it was just a convenient way to operate the government and conduct civil affairs; including the Temple's activities (e.g. the daily morning and evening sacrifices)

Anyway; I trust God's intelligence; and I believe in His son Jesus Christ. I don't think either one of them are ever wrong about anything, especially something as elementary as the properties of day and night.

/

• Like 2

-So then; when Christ spoke of three days and three nights per Matt 12:40, he was speaking of three distinct time frames when the sun was up, and three distinct time frames when the sun was down; viz: relative to Christ's crucifixion and resurrection: days begin with sunrise and nights begin with sundown; which obviously rules out Friday for crucifixion day seeing as how it is impossible to produce a third night between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning.

What do you think about the information presented in post #56?

https://www.christforums.org/forum/christian-community/bible-study/6753-is-matthew-12-40-using-common-idiomatic-language/page4

What do you think about the information presented in post #56?

See post #1

/

I'm concerned as to Why there is a controversy. As Jonah Was , so Will Jesus Christ Be. The one statement is True, there fore the other is Also.

And, back in that time frame -- any part of a day was considered a full day as was any part of a night considered to be a night.

Both events were supernatural in nature. We want it explained in adequate human terms. But it won't be. We take it by faith that those two events Did, in fact Happen.

• Like 1

See post #1

/

I did. That is why I presented the information in post #56 that refutes your assertion.

When folks have different opinions it does not always follow one refutes the other ...

re·fute

rəˈfyo͞ot/

verb

3rd person present: refutes

1. prove (a statement or theory) to be wrong or false; disprove.
    "these claims have not been convincingly refuted" [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]synonyms:[/TD]
    [TD]disprove, prove wrong, prove false, debunk, discredit, invalidate; More[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    • prove that (someone) is wrong.
    • deny or contradict (a statement or accusation).
      "a spokesman totally refuted the allegation of bias" [TABLE]
      [TR]
      [TD]synonyms:[/TD]
      [TD]disprove, prove wrong, prove false, debunk, discredit, invalidate; More[/TD]
      [/TR]
      [/TABLE]

The assertion that it must be 3 full days and 3 full nights was refuted because that is not how the reckoning of "days" was always done elsewhere in Scripture. Furthermore I cited from a dictionary that also affirms my position.

This was taken from post #56 from the above link I previously supplied (TDNT stands for 'Theological Dictionary of the New Testament'):

TDNT: it has to be remembered that difficulties always arise in the reckoning of days according to Jewish usage. Thus "in Halachic statements part of a day is reckoned as a whole day" and already in the first century A.D. we read: "A day and a night constitute a full day, and part of a full day counts as a whole full day" (jShab., 12a, 15, 17); it is in this light that we are to understand Mt. 12:40 (2:949-950, hēmera, Delling).

Three days and three nights

1 Samuel 30:12-13

(12) They gave him a piece of fig cake and two clusters of raisins, and he ate; then his spirit revived. For he had not eaten bread or drunk water for three days and three nights.

(13) David said to him, “To whom do you belong? And where are you from?” And he said, “I am a young man of Egypt, a servant of an Amalekite; and my master left me behind when I fell sick three days ago.

1. John Gill: that is, one whole day, and part of two days, as appears from 1 Samuel 30:13.

https://www.studylight.org/commentar...samuel-30.html

2. Matthew Poole: Which is to be understood synecdochically of one whole day, and part of two others, as the same phrase is taken Matthew 12:40, as appears from the next verse, where he saith, three days agone I fell sick, but in the Hebrew it this is the third day since I fell sick.

https://www.studylight.org/commentar...samuel-30.html

Jonah 1:17

And the LORD appointed a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the stomach of the fish three days and three nights. (NASB)

1. Karl Keil and Franz Delitzsch: The three days and three nights are not to be regarded as fully three times twenty hours, but are to be interpreted according to Hebrew usage, as signifying that Jonah was vomited up again on the third day after he had been swallowed (compare Esther 4:16 with Esther 5:1 and Tob. 3:12, 13, according to the Lutheran text).

https://www.studylight.org/commentar...o/jonah-1.html

• Like 1

Faber i was not taking sides... Simply noting different folks can have different ideas... using different means to back up their beliefs ... Example Post # 1 does not refute post #56 and vise versa .

Okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Big smile !

Brother, this is a most difficult teaching. The sad point is that not all Teachers and not all Preachers are studied or curious enough to know that "any" part of a day counted as a day nor that the Standard Measure used by the Jewish population used in that period of our History. I have often beaten my head against the wall trying to cause folks to grasp this truth because it is so important. May YHWH bless and good teaching brother.

• Like 1

Here is my take on this subject which I believe was on a thread called "Good Wednesday" on this forum.

You argue the resurrection was on a Sunday, but it was actually on a Saturday evening. Christ was buried just before sundown: and 3 days/3 nights add up to a sundown resurrection. Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday. The Romans said it was Friday because of the sundown Sabbath was approaching. But it says in John 19:14 it was the preparation day (crucifixion day) which is the day before the annual Sabbath of the First Day of Unleavened Bread. Ask any Jew what the preparation day is.

Three days and three nights raises Him on Saturday evening. He had already risen by early Sunday. John 20:1: "The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre."

Jesus was talking with Mary saying he had not ascended to His Father yet: John 20:16-18: “Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master. Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God. Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.

John 20:19: Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

Later that same day He appeared to His disciples and they could touch Him. So, we can say for sure the ascension was on Sunday. We are given a picture of His ascension as the wave sheath day: [look up wave sheath day for yourself] when the first fruits were waved before God as a tribute. This was always done on the first Sunday after Passover.

I looked up the 14th of Nisan in the ancient Hebrew date converter. On AD 30 the preparation day fell on Wednesday. :RpS_cool:

• Like 1

-

3 full days and 3 full nights

No less than seven passages attest clearly, conclusively, and without ambiguity, that Christ's crucified dead body return to life on the third day rather that after the third day was over and done with.

†. Matt 17:22-23 . . Jesus said unto them: The Son of man shall be betrayed into the hands of men: and they shall kill him, and the third day he shall be raised again.

†. Mark 9:31 . . He taught his disciples, and said unto them: The Son of man is delivered into the hands of men, and they shall kill him; and after that he is killed, he shall rise the third day.

†. Luke 9:22 . .The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, chief priests and teachers of the law, and he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

†. Luke 24:21-23 . .We trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, today is the third day since these things were done. Yea, and certain women also of our company made us astonished, which were early at the sepulcher; and when they found not his body, they came, saying, that they had also seen a vision of angels, which said that he was alive.

†. Luke 24:46 . . He said unto them: Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day

†. Acts 10:40 . . God raised him up the third day

†. 1Cor 15:4 . . he rose again the third day

It would take a pretty clever amalgam of sophistry and double speak to make those passages say that Christ rose from the dead on any other day but the third; and he sure as shootin' did not rise during the hours of darkness because according to post #1, Jesus defined day as when the sun is up rather than when the sun is down.

/

It would take a pretty clever amalgam of sophistry and double speak to make those passages say that Christ rose from the dead on any other day but the third

He did rise on the 3rd day. That's not being questioned or denied. What needs to be understood is that a part of the day can constitute a whole day. The following is from the Jewish Encyclopedia of the Bible concerning "Day":

In Jewish communal life part of a day is at times reckoned as one day e.g., the day of the funeral, even when the latter takes place late in the afternoon, is counted as the first of the seven days of mourning a short time in the morning of the seventh day is counted as the seventh day circumcision takes place on the eighth day, even though of the first day only a few minutes remained after the birth of the child, these being counted as one day.

https://www.studylight.org/encyclopedias/tje/d/day.html

Another case in terms of reckoning a "day" is found in Acts 10:30-31.

(30) Cornelius said, “Four days ago to this hour, I was praying in my house during the ninth hour; and behold, a man stood before me in shining garments,

(31) and he said, ‘Cornelius, your prayer has been heard and your alms have been remembered before God. (NASB)

1. Simon Kistemaker: (Acts 10:30): "Four days ago." The time has come for Cornelius to explain why he summoned Peter to his home. In a few sentences he relates the incident that happened "four days ago at this hour." Strictly speaking, the time between Cornelius's vision and the moment he addresses Peter is only three days. But in first-century Palestine, the people regarded part of a day as a full day. Hence, the day of Cornelius's vision is the first day; the day of Peter's vision and the arrival of the messengers in Joppa, the second; the day the travelers left Joppa, the third; the day they arrived in Caesarea, the fourth (Exposition of the Acts of the Apostles, page 389).

The assertion that it must be 3 full days and 3 full nights was refuted because that is not how the reckoning of "days" was always done elsewhere in Scripture.

The time of burial might not have been three full days and nights, but a Friday crucifixion and a Sunday resurrection only includes two nights.

In the movie Margin Call an investment mogul asks one of his risk management people to explain the company's financial difficulties. He says: "Please, speak as you might to a young child or a golden retriever. It wasn't brains that got me here."

My point is: Sunday school teachers, as a rule, do not have the luxury of teaching kids with either a big vocabulary or a high IQ. Consequently teachers have to explain things on the level of a Forrest Gump, i.e. very simple and very easy to understand.

Some of the complex explanations for the three days and three nights common on internet forums are inappropriate for young minds; and I dare say, a bit too much for even some adult minds. It's no wonder that outsiders think Christians are daffy.

/

I guess the Sunday School teacher got through to me real good... Jesus said Mat_12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

How one computes the days does not change what He said. ..

You guys go way over my head :RpS_rolleyes: But it does make for an interesting read ...

• Like 2

Here is my take on this subject which I believe was on a thread called "Good Wednesday" on this forum.

You argue the resurrection was on a Sunday, but it was actually on a Saturday evening. Christ was buried just before sundown: and 3 days/3 nights add up to a sundown resurrection. Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday. The Romans said it was Friday because of the sundown Sabbath was approaching. But it says in John 19:14 it was the preparation day (crucifixion day) which is the day before the annual Sabbath of the First Day of Unleavened Bread. Ask any Jew what the preparation day is.

Three days and three nights raises Him on Saturday evening. He had already risen by early Sunday. John 20:1: "The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre."

Jesus was talking with Mary saying he had not ascended to His Father yet: John 20:16-18: “Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master. Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God. Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these things unto her.

John 20:19: Then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

Later that same day He appeared to His disciples and they could touch Him. So, we can say for sure the ascension was on Sunday. We are given a picture of His ascension as the wave sheath day: [look up wave sheath day for yourself] when the first fruits were waved before God as a tribute. This was always done on the first Sunday after Passover.

I looked up the 14th of Nisan in the ancient Hebrew date converter. On AD 30 the preparation day fell on Wednesday. :RpS_cool:

Jesus Christ Did ascend back up to the Father after 40 days.

Looking at Matthew 28: 1 "After the Sabbath, at down on the first day of the week, ....." He had risen just as He said He would as the next verses say.

Mark 16:2 "Very early on the first day of the week , just after sunrise ...."

In the movie Margin Call an investment mogul asks one of his risk management people to explain the company's financial difficulties. He says: "Please, speak as you might to a young child or a golden retriever. It wasn't brains that got me here."

My point is: Sunday school teachers, as a rule, do not have the luxury of teaching kids with either a big vocabulary or a high IQ. Consequently teachers have to explain things on the level of a Forrest Gump, i.e. very simple and very easy to understand.

Some of the complex explanations for the three days and three nights common on internet forums are inappropriate for young minds; and I dare say, a bit too much for even some adult minds. It's no wonder that outsiders think Christians are daffy.

/

Many kids in S. S. have a very good IQ and vocabulary. Let's Not short-change them.

I guess the Sunday School teacher got through to me real good... Jesus said Mat_12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

How one computes the days does not change what He said. ..

You guys go way over my head :RpS_rolleyes: But it does make for an interesting read ...

So True. The average person can understand basic Scripture very well and even the more complex issues. "smile".

The time of burial might not have been three full days and nights, but a Friday crucifixion and a Sunday resurrection only includes two nights.

Two nights would also apply to the situation with Esther when she went unto the king on the 3rd day (Esther 5:1) despite saying that she and the other Jews would fast for three days, "night and day" (Esther 4:16).

Two nights would also apply to the situation with Esther when she went unto the king on the 3rd day (Esther 5:1) despite saying that she and the other Jews would fast for three days, "night and day" (Esther 4:16).

@ theophilus-- That's why a Friday crucifixion doesn't fit. Thursday fits better.

She said "Night and day." She did not say "Three days and three nights." The fact that only two nights were involved is irrelevant.

She said "Night and day." She did not say "Three days and three nights." The fact that only two nights were involved is irrelevant.

On another thread you asked some if their opinion was driven by their theology - I could ask you the same question here, is it 'irrelevant' because your theology demands it to be?

• Like 1

The assertion that it must be 3 full days and 3 full nights was refuted because that is not how the reckoning of "days" was always done elsewhere in Scripture.

But, from where do you get the idea that it must be three days and three nights?