The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
Zuno_Yazh

New Old Guy On The Block

-

Hello;

I was baptized an infant into the Roman Catholic system in 1944 and when old enough, attended Catechism where I eventually completed First Holy Communion and Confirmation.

Though I kept my Catholic identity for twenty-four years, I gave up on the religion itself fairly early because it's just too hard to get to heaven that way.

Ironically, though I had listened to a pretty good number of homilies in Sunday morning church, my mind never actually "heard" the gospel till it was preached to me by a Baptist minister while I was at work in a welding shop in Vancouver Washington.

Anyway, long story short, I switched to Protestantism in 1968 and been in that category since.

I became active on internet forums and message boards in 1997 when we got our first internet-capable computer back in the days of 1.44 mb mini floppy discs, dot matrix printers, and dial-up modems.

/

• Like 3

Needlessly said, you've been around the block!

Glad to have you, and make yourself at home.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Welcome . us old folks can join together :RpS_smile: The avatar is my granddaughter 25 years ago

• Like 2

The avatar is my granddaughter 25 years ago

You're very fortunate. My son and I both married late so at 74 it's doubtful I'll survive to see my nine-month old grandson make it to 25.

/

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum Zuno. Join right in and glad your are here.

• Like 1

Though I kept my Catholic identity for twenty-four years, I gave up on the religion itself fairly early because it's just too hard to get to heaven that way.

You and Martin Luther! Welcome @Zuno_Yazh!

• Like 2

The avatar is my granddaughter 25 years ago

You're very fortunate. My son and I both married late so at 74 it's doubtful I'll survive to see my nine-month old grandson make it to 25.

/

We both are just a dozen months apart, but God is in total control all the time. So perhaps God might want you alive when he turns 25.

Welcome to the forum @Zuno_Yazh, I hope you'll enjoy your stay here. I too remember floppy disks and dial up modems. When I started they had 360K floppies and 720K floppies. The HD 1.44M floppies came later. Glad you are here. :RpS_thumbsup:

98636c6ee64925a19858f8a491d300d2.gif

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum @Zuno_Yazh, I hope you'll enjoy your stay here. I too remember floppy disks and dial up modems. When I started they had 360K floppies and 720K floppies. The HD 1.44M floppies came later. Glad you are here. :RpS_thumbsup:

Deade, you mean they have improved and we no longer have to use floppies? You mean I no longer have to use DOS?

• Like 2

I am going to get rid of my two floppie bay computer and get one of them there new ones.

I can make a huge deal on a box of 100 360K floppies, I will include free shipping! What a steal of a deal hey.

• Like 2

This was my first computer in the 1980s. The Tandy 1000.

tandy-1000sl2_1s.jpg.6dd5a0203f3d20d497f9d2df2a7a56e2.jpg

I never used it to any potential, had no interest in computers back then. It didn't have a modem nothing. I only played a very unsophisticated flight simulator on it.

Hilarious:

The Tandy 1000 SL boasted an Intel 8086 processor running at 8 MHz. The 8086's 16-bit bus gave it a small but definite performance advantage over the earlier 8088-based Tandy 1000s. The SL came with 384 KB of memory preinstalled, whereas the SL/2 offered 512 KB. Both machines could be expanded to 640 KB.

The Tandy SL model was equiped with a 5.25" floppy disk drive (360 KB) whereas the SL/2 featured a 3.5" floppy disk drive (720 KB). It was possible to add a second disk drive or even a hard disk.

The SL series offered two innovations over the earlier SX series. One is high resolution (640x200) 16 color graphics; the other is an improved sound circuit, using an 8-bit mono DAC alongside the PSSJ 3-voice sound source. The DAC gave the SL series digital sound output capabilities not much unlike those of the early 8-bit SoundBlaster line of audio cards: 3 PCM voices, 8-bit DMA up to 22050 KHz, audio mono output, audio mono inputs (mic + line), sampling at 5512 KHz, 11025 KHz and 22050 KHz.

One interesting feature was the 512 KB BIOS, from which 350 KB where available as a read-only C: drive. DOS 3.3 and the main component of Deskmate 3 where stored on it. This was excellent as you could access DOS and start to work only within a few seconds (an unreachable dream nowadays).

There is no internal clock but one called "SmartWatch" was available as an option. There was thus a socket on the electronic board reserved for it.

Wish I paid more attention in computer science during high school. At that time I had no interest in learning MS-DOS etc.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

This was my first computer in the 1980s. The Tandy 1000.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\ttandy-1000sl2_1s.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t28.3 KB ID:\t69853","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"69853","data-size":"custom","height":"329","width":"350"}[/ATTACH]

I never used it to any potential, had no interest in computers back then. It didn't have a modem nothing. I only played a very unsophisticated flight simulator on it.

Hilarious:

The Tandy 1000 SL boasted an Intel 8086 processor running at 8 MHz. The 8086's 16-bit bus gave it a small but definite performance advantage over the earlier 8088-based Tandy 1000s. The SL came with 384 KB of memory preinstalled, whereas the SL/2 offered 512 KB. Both machines could be expanded to 640 KB.

The Tandy SL model was equiped with a 5.25" floppy disk drive (360 KB) whereas the SL/2 featured a 3.5" floppy disk drive (720 KB). It was possible to add a second disk drive or even a hard disk.

The SL series offered two innovations over the earlier SX series. One is high resolution (640x200) 16 color graphics; the other is an improved sound circuit, using an 8-bit mono DAC alongside the PSSJ 3-voice sound source. The DAC gave the SL series digital sound output capabilities not much unlike those of the early 8-bit SoundBlaster line of audio cards: 3 PCM voices, 8-bit DMA up to 22050 KHz, audio mono output, audio mono inputs (mic + line), sampling at 5512 KHz, 11025 KHz and 22050 KHz.

One interesting feature was the 512 KB BIOS, from which 350 KB where available as a read-only C: drive. DOS 3.3 and the main component of Deskmate 3 where stored on it. This was excellent as you could access DOS and start to work only within a few seconds (an unreachable dream nowadays).

There is no internal clock but one called "SmartWatch" was available as an option. There was thus a socket on the electronic board reserved for it.

Wish I paid more attention in computer science during high school. At that time I had no interest in learning MS-DOS etc.

God bless,

William

I learned DOS and in someways it was good. But very limited in ways I needed it for research for papers.

• Like 1

-

Back around 2001 when our son was attending junior college, he boasted about helping adults use machines in the computer lab. Well; I had to tell him that those "adults" didn't grow up with computers like he did; and that personal computers were relatively recent. These days, even kindergartners have them in their classrooms.

Our first PC was somewhat faster than the Tandy 1000 SL. It had a 25mhz processor but only a 175mb hard drive. Shoot, these days virus updates often take up more room than that.

/

• Like 2

I am going to get rid of my two floppie bay computer and get one of them there new ones.

I can make a huge deal on a box of 100 360K floppies, I will include free shipping! What a steal of a deal hey.

What you are describing is what we trained on 2 360K floppy computer. One bay for the DOS the other bay for the program and data.

• Like 1

Welcome . us old folks can join together :RpS_smile: The avatar is my granddaughter 25 years ago

Hi -- so That's why you look so young. Here I thought you'd found the fountain of youth at an early age and wondered where it is "smile"

Correction -- and I wondered where it is "smile"

-

Back around 2001 when our son was attending junior college, he boasted about helping adults use machines in the computer lab. Well; I had to tell him that those "adults" didn't grow up with computers like he did; and that personal computers were relatively recent. These days, even kindergartners have them in their classrooms.

Our first PC was somewhat faster than the Tandy 1000 SL. It had a 25mhz processor but only a 175mb hard drive. Shoot, these days virus updates often take up more room than that.

/

My husband's first computer was a T.I. 99 4 A.

He was a computer tech up until about a dozen years ago. Both of us have our own computers now.

It Is amazing how fast technology changes over the years. "smile"

Hi Zuno -- welcome to the Forum

-

Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).

Well; I'd rather not, but here goes.

The Baptist minister, about whom I wrote in post #1, explained that Christ went to the cross not just for the world; but for individuals; i.e. me-- which was very interesting news to say the least because I had been thinking about hell and the hereafter quite a bit in those days.

Anyway, long story short; I went to his church in Portland Oregon; and when the Sunday morning service was over, explained to the pastor that I was there that day to speak with God. So he and I and that minister went down front to a rail where we all knelt together while I prayed a very simple, naïve prayer that went something like this:

"God, I know I'm a sinner. I would like to take advantage of your son's death."

Well; God must've figured I was a borderline case that needed a bit of encouragement because while speaking my prayer, I became aware of a rather large, heavy chair, like a beefy love seat, on the other side of the rail, a bit to our left and suspended about four feet off the floor. Someone was seated on the chair. I couldn't really make out their face, but the person intently observed me as I spoke every syllable of that brief, unrehearsed, unsophisticated prayer. I didn't tell the pastor what just happened because to be honest, I really didn't know what to make of it.

That incident, even though very disturbing, was fortunate because it became-- for me anyway --a fulfilment of the passage below.

"The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God" (Rom 8:16)

The koiné Greek word translated "bears witness" is summartureo (soom mar-too-reh'-o) which means: to corroborate by (concurrent) evidence.

I suppose most people would not think of my experience as the Spirit's corroboration; but instead prefer to rely upon textual evidence rather than seeing things. Well; that's okay by me because after all, I was stressed that morning so who really knows, least of all me, if what I experienced wasn't just some sort of mental aberration.

Bill Murray might suggest it was an hallucination brought on by cheap Russian vodka poisoned by fall-out from Chernobyl. But I wasn't a drinker nor had Chernobyl happened yet.

Jacob dreamed something pretty disturbing when he left home in Gen 28:12-15. But I wasn't asleep. It was mid Sunday morning and I was bright-eyed and bushy tailed.

Please don't write me off as a Jim Jones or a David Koresh looking for followers to help me start some sort of kooky movement. I'm just an aging blue collar retiree who underwent some sort of close encounter of a third kind when he was but a 24 year-old welder with a motorcycle.

/

• Like 2

What kind of welder were you? Like on power plants or?

-

Tell us about your conversion experience (if you have one).

Well; I'd rather not, but here goes.

The Baptist minister, about whom I wrote in post #1, explained that Christ went to the cross not just for the world; but for individuals; i.e. me-- which was very interesting news to say the least because I had been thinking about hell and the hereafter quite a bit in those days.

Anyway, long story short; I went to his church in Portland Oregon; and when the Sunday morning service was over, explained to the pastor that I was there that day to speak with God. So he and I and that minister went down front to a rail where we all knelt together while I prayed a very simple, naïve prayer that went something like this:

"God, I know I'm a sinner. I would like to take advantage of your son's death."

Well; God must've figured I was a borderline case that needed a bit of encouragement because while speaking my prayer, I became aware of a rather large, heavy chair, like a beefy love seat, on the other side of the rail, a bit to our left and suspended about four feet off the floor. Someone was seated on the chair. I couldn't really make out their face, but the person intently observed me as I spoke every syllable of that brief, unrehearsed, unsophisticated prayer. I didn't tell the pastor what just happened because to be honest, I really didn't know what to make of it.

That incident, even though very disturbing, was fortunate because it became-- for me anyway --a fulfilment of the passage below.

"The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God" (Rom 8:16)

The koiné Greek word translated "bears witness" is summartureo (soom mar-too-reh'-o) which means: to corroborate by (concurrent) evidence.

I suppose most people would not think of my experience as the Spirit's corroboration; but instead prefer to rely upon textual evidence rather than seeing things. Well; that's okay by me because after all, I was stressed that morning so who really knows, least of all me, if what I experienced wasn't just some sort of mental aberration.

Bill Murray might suggest it was an hallucination brought on by cheap Russian vodka poisoned by fall-out from Chernobyl. But I wasn't a drinker nor had Chernobyl happened yet.

Jacob dreamed something pretty disturbing when he left home in Gen 28:12-15. But I wasn't asleep. It was mid Sunday morning and I was bright-eyed and bushy tailed.

Please don't write me off as a Jim Jones or a David Koresh looking for followers to help me start some sort of kooky movement. I'm just an aging blue collar retiree who underwent some sort of close encounter of a third kind when he was but a 24 year-old welder with a motorcycle.

/

Well -- in your prayer you were acknowledging your sinfulness and that Jesus Christ was / is God's Son. And that His Son's death was meaningful to you, personally. Now, hopefully, you've grown in knowledge through Bible reading.