The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Origen

Poll Question: Rapture Yeah or Nay

Poll Question: Rapture Yeah or Nay  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Poll Question: Rapture Yeah or Nay

Do you believe in the rapture or not?

• Like 1

I don't believe in a 'rapture' as many who hold to a futurist position would artiulcate - but i do believe those saints alive at the return of the Lord Jesus Christ will be caught up into the air to meet with him - so i answered 'nay'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I voted the same as Reformed Baptist for the same reason, to clarify, I voted nay for what is known today as the "The Rapture" doctrine.

God bless,

William

• Thanks 1

Sorry, I did not know I had to explain it to everybody.:RpS_lol:

• Like 1

I too voted nay and basically for the same reason. I believe that those alive will meet the Lord at his return.

This doctrine alone is what actually got me into the Bible more seriously. (something I kept putting off for years) I wanted to let go of any preconceived notions that I had been taught and see for myself.

• Like 2

rap·ture

ˈrapCHər/

noun

1. 1.
    a feeling of intense pleasure or joy.
    "Leonora listened with rapture"

synonyms:
    ecstasy, bliss, exaltation, euphoria, elation, joy, enchantment, delight, happiness, pleasure
    "she gazed at him in rapture"

• Like 1

Well, I voted yes because I believe everything the Bible teaches and when the scripture teaches that we will meet the LORD in the air, the dead first and the living Saints after them it is known as the Catching away or as the Latin word the Rapture that means catching away.But the Latin Word hit somebodies fancy and it was held onto because it sounds better and it does codify what is written in the scriptures.

• Like 2

rap·ture

ˈrapCHər/

noun

1. 1.
    "Leonora listened with rapture" [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]synonyms:[/TD]
    [TD]ecstasy, bliss, exaltation, euphoria, elation, joy, enchantment, delight, happiness, pleasure
    "she gazed at him in rapture"[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

That is the meaning the World uses and it has naught to do with scripture. if you were trying for humor, on the Worldly I believe you made but on the Spiritual level it is a complete miss. Even the junky wikipedi, on line has this right.

rap·ture

ˈrapCHər/

noun

1. 1.
    "Leonora listened with rapture" [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]synonyms:[/TD]
    [TD]ecstasy, bliss, exaltation, euphoria, elation, joy, enchantment, delight, happiness, pleasure
    "she gazed at him in rapture"[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

That is the meaning the World uses and it has naught to do with scripture. if you were trying for humor, on the Worldly I believe you made but on the Spiritual level it is a complete miss. Even the junky wikipedi, on line has this right.

Yes sir.. correction accepted

I don't understand this. I've always been taught that we were to be taken up in heaven. What is the rapture except this very thing?

• Like 2

I don't understand this. I've always been taught that we were to be taken up in heaven. What is the rapture except this very thing?

You are expressing a dispensational view which really was unheard of until the 19th century. Here's the Dispensational vs Amillennial view.

Believers who have just been raised from the dead, together with living believers who have just been transformed, are now caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air (1 Thess. 4:17). That there will be such a “rapture” the Bible clearly teaches. But I have put the word rapture between quotation marks in order to distinguish the amillennial conception of the rapture from the dispensationalist view. Dispensationalists teach that after the rapture the entire church will be taken up to heaven for a period of seven years while those still on earth are undergoing the great tribulation.

Amillennialists see no scriptural evidence for such a seven-year period or for a transference of the church from earth to heaven during that period. Risen and glorified bodies of believers do not belong in heaven but on the earth. The word translated “to meet” in 1 Thessalonians 4:17 (apantesis)is a technical term used in the days of the New Testament to describe a public welcome given by a city to a visiting dignitary. People would ordinarily leave the city to meet the distinguished visitor and then go back with him into the city. On the basis of the analogy conveyed by this word, all Paul is saying here is that raised and transformed believers are caught up in the clouds to meet the descending Lord, implying that after this meeting they will go back with him to the earth.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Well, I couldn't vote since I don't really feel certain about the issue. I find the Dispensational position on the pre-trib rapture to be somewhat unlikely, but I am not enough of a scholar to rule it out entirely. In my mind the question is part of one's eschatology. The various views all have their strengths and weaknesses, so I think it is good to hold one's beliefs lightly. One thing I know, I long to see Christ coming in power and glory, to put an end to my sin and all the evil we suffer in this world. In the meantime, there is also great beauty and goodness in this world, and I love to thank God for that each day.

• Like 1

Jesus Christ is going to gather up those in His Church to be with Him forever in heaven. And that's also what I've always been taught because it Is Biblical.

• Like 2

You are expressing a dispensational view which really was unheard of until the 19th century. Here's the Dispensational vs Amillennial view.

Believers who have just been raised from the dead, together with living believers who have just been transformed, are now caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air (1 Thess. 4:17). That there will be such a “rapture” the Bible clearly teaches. But I have put the word rapture between quotation marks in order to distinguish the amillennial conception of the rapture from the dispensationalist view. Dispensationalists teach that after the rapture the entire church will be taken up to heaven for a period of seven years while those still on earth are undergoing the great tribulation.

Amillennialists see no scriptural evidence for such a seven-year period or for a transference of the church from earth to heaven during that period. Risen and glorified bodies of believers do not belong in heaven but on the earth. The word translated “to meet” in 1 Thessalonians 4:17 (apantesis)is a technical term used in the days of the New Testament to describe a public welcome given by a city to a visiting dignitary. People would ordinarily leave the city to meet the distinguished visitor and then go back with him into the city. On the basis of the analogy conveyed by this word, all Paul is saying here is that raised and transformed believers are caught up in the clouds to meet the descending Lord, implying that after this meeting they will go back with him to the earth.

God bless,

William

The Lord Will be descending back to earth After the 7 years of tribulation. Those coming back with Him will be ruling and reigning with Him.

Maybe the amillennialists should read Daniel 9 regarding the last of the '7''s.

Well, I couldn't vote since I don't really feel certain about the issue. I find the Dispensational position on the pre-trib rapture to be somewhat unlikely, but I am not enough of a scholar to rule it out entirely. In my mind the question is part of one's eschatology. The various views all have their strengths and weaknesses, so I think it is good to hold one's beliefs lightly. One thing I know, I long to see Christ coming in power and glory, to put an end to my sin and all the evil we suffer in this world. In the meantime, there is also great beauty and goodness in this world, and I love to thank God for that each day.

Eric T -- a person doesn't need to be 'enough of a scholar' to read about and believe the pre-trib rapture view.

I'm certainly no scholar.

• Like 1

Eric T -- a person doesn't need to be 'enough of a scholar' to read about and believe the pre-trib rapture view.

You are correct Sue. I guess what I should have said was I haven't taken the time to read up on all the various arguments such that I could make a convincing case for one view or the other. When I have read about the various views, I have found that historic premillennialism made the most sense to me.

• Like 1

You are correct Sue. I guess what I should have said was I haven't taken the time to read up on all the various arguments such that I could make a convincing case for one view or the other. When I have read about the various views, I have found that historic premillennialism made the most sense to me.

The only reason why I'm familiar with any of it is because I used to be in a Precepts' class and we spent two years going through Revelation. Part of that was going through the various views Of with Scriptural references for each. I'd read about 'one' view with the Scripture and think -- That sounds good -- then the 'next' few with Scriptures and That sounded plausable. Ended up doing that with each of them. And, I thought, Great. But I have settled down to being Pre-mid trib. rapture person with Possibly going to mid-trib rapture. But the 7 years of tribulation is based on Daniel 9 -- there is one, 7 yr period of time left.

And it's going to happen Before the 1,000 yr earthly reign of Christ.

So -- I think we're agreeing. :)

• Like 2

God bless,

William

Maybe the dispensationalist should justify why, in their "literal" hermeneutic, they are to insert a gap in those '7's without any exegetical hook?

Brother, please do not study other people's opinions to decide your own about this issue nor any other, or any other Spiritual Matter and especially mine. Men can and usually are wrong and YHWH is never wrong because He sees the beginning and the end, at the same time. He is Almighty Elohim and has left us with a portion of His Wisdom to study and if we couple that with never quinching the Spirit, the Holy Spirit will teach us what is correct and what is wrong.

May YHWH bless your Study Time.

• Like 1

@ Bill Taylor -- isn't that what Bible study groups are For? studying passages of Scripture and sharing what comes to a person's mind? Believers have the Holy Spirit guiding us and lots of us come from varied backgrounds. We can share insights from past study which can be helpful to others in the group.

Part of Precepts' 'concept' is inductive -- reading longer passages -- getting the context -- write down / share in some manner what you're understanding from it -- maybe reading it several times. Then look at a commentary and see if 'they' agree with You. And looking at various other versions to see what different words are being used to get the same thought across.

I don't even bother with commentaries. I figure that they are just human beings like me, but with lots more training. But the Holy Spirit does the teaching. We simply share what we've learned. One of the Prescept's teachers enjoys looking at various commentaries -- finds they usually agree with her.

Sue, might should have been more specific. I'll try to be clearer here with the specifics.

If two people, both filled with the Holy Spirit/Ghost they might have two ideas about any specific scripture and the two opinions (Ihate that word) dramatically differ, someone is A. Not filled with the Presence of YHWH or B. Are quenching the Spirit, scripture must be reconciled with all other scripture and the teaching of all Christians must reconcile with all of scripture.

Over the course of my Christian life, from 1/1/'90, I have been consumed with study to walk, ever, closer to Yashuah, my Elohim. Asw a result I have investigated and there are many false teachers and that has demonstrated that every Christian must be on guard and in the Word.

My Teacher is a very Grounded Pastor and still I take his sermons to the scriptures to verify his accuracy. In the Church today, too many teachers teach that YHWH is love and never explain the Wrath of the same person, YHWH. They are, likely leading many to the Lake of Eternal Fire because there are sins not repented and turned away from, all of them, that sends a man or a woman into the Lake prepared for Satan.

@ Bill -- any verse -- taken by itself -- Can be lifted out of context by one person -- but the other person can be taking it in view of the rest of the verses around it Or by other portions of Scripture and come up with different conclusions. They could both be very sincerely led by the Holy Spirit. I can think of a couple of subjects that That could apply to. Baptism and tongues. There are probably other subjects but those two come to mind presently. But I have no intention of side-tracking the subject of this thread.

Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2018 at 1:53 PM, Sue D. said:

The Lord Will be descending back to earth After the 7 years of tribulation. Those coming back with Him will be ruling and reigning with Him.

Maybe the amillennialists should read Daniel 9 regarding the last of the '7''s.

Jesus Christ Returns to earth in "Final Judgment" with the "Eternal Kingdom"

Matthew 25:31-46, from the very word's of Jesus Christ himself.

There will be no 1000 year millennial kingdom on this earth, with mortal humans present as dispensationalism teaches.

Verses 31-32 Jesus Returns with the angels, the nation's are gathered for judgment.

Verse 34 The eternal kingdom is presented to the righteous.

Verse 41 The wicked are judged to the "Eternal Lake Of Fire"

Verse 46 The righteous obtain "Eternal. Life" and enter the "Eternal Kingdom" in verse 34

Matthew 25:31-46KJV

31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Edited by Truth7t7

Well -- various concepts come to be from various Scriptures.   I don't understand Why anyone would Not want a rapture to take place -- it's usually more the timing Of such in question.   Eventually everything in Scripture Will take place. :)  

• Like 1