The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
theophilus

The Bible and the Big Bang

Most scientists believe in the Big Bang theory. The Bible also teaches a Big Bang. The difference between the two is that scientists believe the universe began with a Big Bang while the Bible teaches it will end with one.

How will the world END?

This is another of those big questions about which many people wonder. Many answers have been proposed, but most overlook the Bible’s answer to this question.

The previous blog article, Science in the Bible – The Beginning, disputed the prevailing worldview that everything started with a Big Bang nearly 14 billion years ago by outlining scientific and Biblical problems with the concept. Instead of an originating Big Bang, the Bible teaches the universe had a Beginning by the Creator God of the Bible around 6,000 years ago.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1)

Despite having disputed an originating Big Bang, I must admit that I believe in a Big Bang. However, I believe in the Biblical Big Bang at the END, not the evolutionary Big Bang at the Beginning. Scripture describes the real Big Bang that occurs at history’s end:

But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. . . . But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a ROAR [big Bang] and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up. Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning, and the elements will melt with intense heat! But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells. Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, spotless and blameless.

(2 Peter 3:7,10-14 NASB)

The Biblical Big Bang at the End of the world and the purported evolutionary Big Bang at the Beginning differ in crucial ways.

It makes much more sense that a Big Bang would be destructive, as at the end of time, rather than creative at the Beginning.

The universe will disappear with a roar. It did not appear in a bang. It was spoken into existence.

The elements will be destroyed by intense heat. They were not generated by an enormous explosion, but rather designed and created by Yahweh.

The earth will be burned up. It was formed cool in water, not molten from a hot conflagration.

The Big Bang is future, not past. Scientists say everything started with a Big Bang and will end with a cold death when the sun burns out. This is backwards. Earth started cold without the sun and will end in a future judgment by fire.

The future holds complete destruction by intense fire of everything material — cars, houses, smart phones, computers, books, money, clothes, golf courses, malls. Heaven and earth will be replaced by a new heaven and earth full of righteousness.

Why do New Testament authors include such sobering future glimpses? To satisfy curiosity? No — to motivate righteous living.

This is the Apostle Peter’s intent as he poses a penetrating question: Since everything will be totally destroyed and replaced with a new heaven and earth uncursed by sin, what kind of people should we be? (2 Peter 3:10-14)

Peter doesn’t leave us to ponder his question on our own. He calls believers to high standards of godly behavior. In essence Peter instructs us to live now as worthy of our future home. He urges us to be spotless and blameless, distinguished by righteous conduct.

We must also “be diligent to be found by Him in peace.” Isn’t it more entertaining to stir things up? Isn’t it more natural to pester and annoy each other, or to easily take offense? To diligently pursue peace requires conscious, determined efforts.

People with a Biblical worldview worship the Creator, looking beyond immediate circumstances and stresses. They respect the reality of the future destructive Big Bang and anticipate Yahweh’s eventual re-creation of heaven and earth. They strive for holiness and peace 24×7, seeking a life in the present that is worthy of their future home.

https://biblescienceguy.wordpress.com/2018/03/28/science-in-the-bible-the-end/#like-26051

• Like 3

I believe the Big Bang is in the Bible where "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." I also believe in the destruction of the universe which is Biblical.

• Like 1

Most scientists believe in the Big Bang theory. The Bible also teaches a Big Bang. The difference between the two is that scientists believe the universe began with a Big Bang while the Bible teaches it will end with one.

https://biblescienceguy.wordpress.com/2018/03/28/science-in-the-bible-the-end/#like-26051

Same bang. Isaiah 46:10

Time is an illusion.

Same bang. Isaiah 46:10

Time is an illusion.

Are you suggesting that this time in history is only an illusion? It isn't really happening?

"Time" is for our benefit -- Not God's.

Sue D.

I don't have the ability to comment following your and my comment as you did separate from the general thread...so here it is:

Time was/is created and is limited to God's creation as a component thereof - a manifestation for the purpose of revelation. Scientifically, time is an illusion (according to Einstein). Science describes a big bang at the beginning. God describes a big bang at the end. But, because God exists outside of the time He created for this finite purpose, His reality is the Truth, and time is therefore like a book that "is written" whose timeline is a mere story line.

Sue D.

I don't have the ability to comment following your and my comment as you did separate from the general thread...so here it is:

Time was/is created and is limited to God's creation as a component thereof - a manifestation for the purpose of revelation. Scientifically, time is an illusion (according to Einstein). Science describes a big bang at the beginning. God describes a big bang at the end. But, because God exists outside of the time He created for this finite purpose, His reality is the Truth, and time is therefore like a book that "is written" whose timeline is a mere story line.

What Einstein says is irrelevant to me.

The 2 Peter 3:7 - 10 or so. vs 8 "But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day". Which does mean that time is irrelevant to God. That time was created for Us. The 6 days of creation -- the evening and the morning were the 1st - 6th days.

God -- in the beginning did create everything that we Do have.

The NKJV calls it a loud noise.

Our reality is Now -- 24 hr days. The sun rises and sets every day. We have family. Eventually we Do die and enter non-ending eternity. That was God's plan in the 1st place.

John 14:6 Does say that Jesus Christ is the Way the Truth and the Life --that no man comes to the Father but through Him / meaning through Jesus Christ. The cross at Calvary.

Not really sure what you mean by "God's creation as a component thereof -- a manifestation for the purpose of revelation.' That He's revealing Himself Through creation?! that makes sense if that 's what you're saying.

Not really sure what you mean by "God's creation as a component thereof -- a manifestation for the purpose of revelation.' That He's revealing Himself Through creation?! that makes sense if that 's what you're saying.

As regards the big bang topic - "time" becomes the issue of understanding what God has done. My point was to show that God and even science demonstrate that time is an illusion. Also, it is important to understand that the world, the old heavens and the old earth (including time) are "passing away", and therefore, not to be considered the same as God's own perfect heavenly realm and truth.

That means that what God did "in the twinkling of an eye" which was finished "before the foundation of the world", is simply now being revealed through the media of time, "as it is/was written." If you will notice, this can be corroborated by the use of present tense language in describing many of the events of scripture, that could not be stated correctly otherwise. So, when Jesus said, "before Abraham was I am", and when Paul wrote that we "were" crucified and raised up with Christ, and countless other passages regarding end time events - the point is not that they happen in time, but that they did not, but happened according to the timeless truth of God in the heavenly realm.

An 'illusion' is something that isn't real.

This present heavens and earth are real though they will in the Future pass away.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth -- that which mankind / us / Do live. The Truth is that we Are here in this world. Genesis tells us exactly how God did it. The proof is what we See. The animal world and we, the humans. There is the spirit world -- invisible but very real.

God Did speak everything into being. And God Also knew -- before the foundations of the world - who would be His in eternity. "In the twinkling of an eye" refers to the rapture of the Church -- body of born-again believers -- who will at some future time be raptured up to be with Jesus Christ.

"before Abraham was I am" is referring to God's eternality.

Paul's saying about our 'being crucified with and raised up with Christ' is refering to baptism -- what is it signifying. Jesus Christ Was crucified on the cross --died and was buried and rose again bodily. That is an historical fact. That is what the Christian world is celebrating Sunday.

Would it be wrong to say that we didn't really begin until Christ died on the cross, because of the idea of being born again began at that time. I mean the price of the ransome was not paid until then and that is when being a Christian became meaningful in the eyes of the Lord. Am I wrong in this?

Would it be wrong to say that we didn't really begin until Christ died on the cross, because of the idea of being born again began at that time. I mean the price of the ransome was not paid until then and that is when being a Christian became meaningful in the eyes of the Lord. Am I wrong in this?

Regeneration (born again, rebirth, born from above) is not the Atonement. The Atonement is a once in history event which was sufficient for all the sins of everyone that exists (past, present, future).

OT Saints were born again (regenerate) before Jesus died on the cross. Being born again didn't begin on the cross. Long before the cross Jesus said, “He who believes in Me has [present tense] everlasting life” (John 6:47). Since there were people alive at that time who believed in Jesus, we know they had eternal life before the cross. The apostles, Lazarus, Martha, Mary, and all other believers had everlasting life before the cross. So did all OT believers who believed in the coming Messiah for everlasting life.

Did the atonement apply to those who lived before the crucifixion of Christ?

The answer to this question is clear from Scripture. The people who lived in Old Testament times had the sacrificial system, but the blood of bulls and goats didn’t atone for anyone. These things pointed the people of Israel beyond themselves to an atonement that would satisfy the righteousness of God. The Old Testament person who trusted the promise of the work of the Messiah, even though that work had not yet been accomplished in space and time, was saved. The ground of that salvation was the work of Christ that was yet to come. Old Testament believers were saved by a faith that looked forward, while we are saved by a faith that looks backward. The objective ground for the salvation for both groups is the same—the atonement of Christ. - R.C. Sproul

And to clarify what it means to be born again: https://www.christforums.org/forum/c...eneration-mean

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Regeneration (born again, rebirth, born from above) is not the Atonement. The Atonement is a once in history event which was sufficient for all the sins of everyone that exists (past, present, future).

OT Saints were born again (regenerate) before Jesus died on the cross. Being born again didn't begin on the cross. Long before the cross Jesus said, “He who believes in Me has [present tense] everlasting life” (John 6:47). Since there were people alive at that time who believed in Jesus, we know they had eternal life before the cross. The apostles, Lazarus, Martha, Mary, and all other believers had everlasting life before the cross. So did all OT believers who believed in the coming Messiah for everlasting life.

And to clarify what it means to be born again: https://www.christforums.org/forum/c...eneration-mean

God bless,

William

I don't understand this. The way I take it from your links, is that being reborn is belief in God, since the saints were reborn and If so would a person who believes in God from the wowb can not be considered reborn since there was never a time that they didn't believe in God. I am seriously confused now.

God bless,

William

I don't understand this. The way I take it from your links, is that being reborn is belief in God, since the saints were reborn and If so would a person who believes in God from the wowb can not be considered reborn since there was never a time that they didn't believe in God. I am seriously confused now.

Regeneration (rebirth) precedes faith. We are all conceived in Adam and have a sin nature. One can be regenerated in the womb after conception, but it can happen (God's timing) in the Elect's lives at any moment when they are yet unbelievers. In other words, there are Elect that do not believe, they are not yet regenerate. However, once regenerate, they'll be brought to faith, and the atonement's application will cover all their sins, including the sin of unbelief.

@William You mean by the elect that God nurtures them from the womb to be something for him, like John the Baptist, ect. If I get this right?

@William You mean by the elect that God nurtures them from the womb to be something for him, like John the Baptist, ect. If I get this right?

By the Elect I mean persons God has predestined before the foundation of the world to salvation. In other words, if you are a genuine believer, I am speaking about you as well as all others God has chosen. Yes, I would say John the Baptist was one of God's Elect. Many believe John the Baptist was regenerated in the womb, though not all Elect are regenerated in the womb. The process of salvation began before the foundation of the world in eternity past, Just_me.

Then what about Romans 10:9 - 10 -- "that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that Go has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." and then in vs 13 "For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."

And 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 "Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the Gospel which I preached unto you....... by which you are also saved..... first of all that Christ died for our sins, according to the Scriptures....and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures."

God Is the only One who Does know who will or won't accept Jesus Christ as their personal Savior. But we don't. We Are given the great commission in Matthew 28: 19-20. Go to all the world and make disciples , baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Part of the job of the Holy Spirit is that of convicting a person of their sins/ the drawing OF the person TO.

Faith comes by hearing the Word of God. Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for , the evidence of things not seen." This chapter continues with example of men and their faith..

vs 3 "By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made o f things which are visible." In other words -- no one was here when this earth / world came into being. But we Can see this world does exist. And we Do have God's Word in Genesis telling all of us exactly when and how He Did it.

The people Before the cross had the prophets from God telling them the future birth of Jesus Christ -- and God used other methods -- so they looked forward TO. Some trusted in and other didn't.

Then at the time Of the cross -- while Jesus Christ was actually here -- teaching -- showing people To His Father -- His actual death, burial and bodily resurrection taking place-- some actually didn't accept Him and some Did.

And Now -- we look back at what Scripture tells us. Some believe and some Don't.

An 'illusion' is something that isn't real.

This present heavens and earth are real though they will in the Future pass away.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth -- that which mankind / us / Do live. The Truth is that we Are here in this world. Genesis tells us exactly how God did it. The proof is what we See. The animal world and we, the humans. There is the spirit world -- invisible but very real.

God Did speak everything into being. And God Also knew -- before the foundations of the world - who would be His in eternity. "In the twinkling of an eye" refers to the rapture of the Church -- body of born-again believers -- who will at some future time be raptured up to be with Jesus Christ.

"before Abraham was I am" is referring to God's eternality.

Paul's saying about our 'being crucified with and raised up with Christ' is refering to baptism -- what is it signifying. Jesus Christ Was crucified on the cross --died and was buried and rose again bodily. That is an historical fact. That is what the Christian world is celebrating Sunday.

I realize this is a completely different way of seeing things, but it is not against what we know, but for these times in accordance with God's word and yet the fulfillment of things promised. Paul sets the stage:

2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal."

Indeed, an illusion is something that isn't real. But what is real is what is with God, and that which is with Him is "written", meaning "of" the truth, but not that which they are written of, which alone is the truth. You see, a "true" story, is still just a story...and when God opens "the books" this will be apparent. The reason that this all seems "real", is because this is God opening the books in unfolding revelation - but again, the true story, is still just a story...of that which is actual and true with God.

So, when the scriptures refer to "the twinkling of an eye" it is more than the rapture of the Church, for all that is true with God is only revealed in time, and is only true because it is all timeless with God - all that is true with God, was "before the foundation of the world." Hence, the idea of a "big gang." Thus, those things which have been unfolded in revelation are only His communication in a form of translation of that which is timeless and eternal, within in a story line of which only God could create - which He has done. But, for example, within this present story line, it is written and therefore we see it so, we consider God the same "yesterday, today, and forever." But with further, pin-pointed accuracy, He does not tell it so, but says "I am." This He has done throughout the entire story line - because He is explaining it to "children." Therefore, He explains that "I am", is like "the same yesterday, today, and forever." But when we are mature, and the story line is complete and the world has passed away, "I am", is simply, I am.

While this all may be foreign to you, it has been given to me to make known what is now coming to an end in accordance with the promise of "all truth" for our times. This is not my opinion or something I learned from others, but from God alone. But I am not here to argue, but to reveal what God has revealed to me: Before a thing happens, He tells us of it. When such things of truth were revealed during the times of the first Adam, they killed the prophets. But during these times, the prophets have died already, and therefore the truth either falls on deaf ears or is received by those who have an ear to hear. But do test all spirits, for many come whose words cannot be reconciled with the scriptures.

I believe the Big Bang is in the Bible where "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." I also believe in the destruction of the universe which is Biblical.

Sorry I don't agree.

I am sure some will think I am a fundie, but I take every word in Genesis as fact. I do not know every detail, and honestly I really don't care.

• Like 1

I am sure some will think I am a fundie, but I take every word in Genesis as fact. I do not know every detail, and honestly I really don't care.

Why would that make you a fundie? And what's wrong with Being a fundie?

The difference being that God made the world immediately ready for people // Adam and Eve. Rather than having it come about over those millions upon millions of years.

You are not wrong. But that is the uncommon context, not known to the world.

The world is its own context, which was lost, meaning that if we are found and born again of the spirit of God, we are not of the world. And just as Jesus was slain before the foundation of the world and knew glory which He had before the world was, etc., these things speak of the context of God and of Christ, of which we have been born into. This is what it means to pass from death to life.

Did the atonement apply to those who lived before the crucifixion of Christ?

The answer to this question is clear from Scripture. The people who lived in Old Testament times had the sacrificial system, but the blood of bulls and goats didn’t atone for anyone. These things pointed the people of Israel beyond themselves to an atonement that would satisfy the righteousness of God. The Old Testament person who trusted the promise of the work of the Messiah, even though that work had not yet been accomplished in space and time, was saved. The ground of that salvation was the work of Christ that was yet to come. Old Testament believers were saved by a faith that looked forward, while we are saved by a faith that looks backward. The objective ground for the salvation for both groups is the same—the atonement of Christ. - R.C. Sproul

God bless,

William

William and Just Me,

Being born again is indeed tied to the promise of everlasting life, but in the case of the Old Testament saints, none received the spirit of God (the Holy Spirit) until He was sent at the day of Pentecost. This is the difference between the sons of the first Adam and the sons of the Last Adam...which makes Christ the First and the Last. And He did clarify that "the first [meaning those of the lineage of the first Adam under the Abrahamic Covenant] would be last, and the last [meaning those "who are alive and remain" born "again" of the spirit of God sent by Christ] first" - [meaning first to receive the spirit of God]..

Thus, under the lineage of the first Adam and the Old Covenant, men were only "moved" by the the spirit of God, but died in there sins only to be saved according to the promise of Messiah. But under the Last Adam and the New Covenant, we are not merely "moved" but are born again of the spirit of God before physical death. By this, as Paul indicated, "we who are alive and remain by no means precede those who have fallen asleep", meaning they are the first to be raised up with Christ, and we are last to be raised up, but first to ascend from death to life by the spirit of God. "Over whom the second death has no power."

I do remember that when Jesus took three of the apostles up in a mount and there appeared Moses and Elijah and both of them talked to Juese. Is this a example of the elect? If so, I'm begining to understand what you mean. These two were obviously alive and this was before Jesus's death.

When was/is God not a Trinity? Thinking of the OT folks and the Spirit... here is a sampling.

Gen 41:38 And Pharaoh said unto his servants, Can we find such a one as this is, a man in whom the Spirit of God is?

Gen 41:39 And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, Forasmuch as God hath shewed thee all this, there is none so discreet and wise as thou art:

Exo 31:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

Exo 31:2 See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah:

Exo 31:3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,

Num 11:16 And the LORD said unto Moses, Gather unto me seventy men of the elders of Israel, whom thou knowest to be the elders of the people, and officers over them; and bring them unto the tabernacle of the congregation, that they may stand there with thee.

Num 11:17 And I will come down and talk with thee there: and I will take of the spirit which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with thee, that thou bear it not thyself alone.

Jdg_6:34 But the Spirit of the LORD came upon Gideon, and he blew a trumpet; and Abiezer was gathered after him.

Jdg 13:24 And the woman bare a son, and called his name Samson: and the child grew, and the LORD blessed him.

Jdg 13:25 And the Spirit of the LORD began to move him at times in the camp of Dan between Zorah and Eshtaol.

• Like 2

When was/is God not a Trinity? Thinking of the OT folks and the Spirit... here is a sampling.

Gen 41:38 And Pharaoh said unto his servants, Can we find such a one as this is, a man in whom the Spirit of God is?

Gen 41:39 And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, Forasmuch as God hath shewed thee all this, there is none so discreet and wise as thou art:

Exo 31:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

Exo 31:2 See, I have called by name Bezaleel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah:

Exo 31:3 And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,

Num 11:16 And the LORD said unto Moses, Gather unto me seventy men of the elders of Israel, whom thou knowest to be the elders of the people, and officers over them; and bring them unto the tabernacle of the congregation, that they may stand there with thee.

Num 11:17 And I will come down and talk with thee there: and I will take of the spirit which is upon thee, and will put it upon them; and they shall bear the burden of the people with thee, that thou bear it not thyself alone.

Jdg_6:34 But the Spirit of the LORD came upon Gideon, and he blew a trumpet; and Abiezer was gathered after him.

Jdg 13:24 And the woman bare a son, and called his name Samson: and the child grew, and the LORD blessed him.

Jdg 13:25 And the Spirit of the LORD began to move him at times in the camp of Dan between Zorah and Eshtaol.

Trust you're enjoying a blessed Resurrection (Easter) Sunday.

• Like 1

Hi @Becky that is one of the things I love about the history of redemption and God's revelation to us. God has always been Triune, but it was only with the giving of the new testament that we were able to see and understand (in a limited way, of course) this threeness and oneness of God.

I am with the Lion on this one. I also believe God created everything out of nothing about 13.7 billion years ago, and that that time all the physical universe we know (space, matter, energy and time) began to exist.

Time is an illusion.

Hi @ScottA, I'm not sure what you mean when you say time is an illusion. I think it's true that it is a creation of God, along with the rest of our physical universe, but I also believe that time is as real as the space dimensions of height, width and depth.