The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
Matto

Using Holy water against evil spirits

Just wondering who uses holy water in their spiritual warfare kit. I've found it very effective.

Matto, mate, I believe it summer down under, right? I sure wish it were a little warmer in Missouri where I live. Got to -6 degrees FH. last night. Had to bring in the two outside cats last night. 3" of snow makes it pretty cold, even during the days sunlight does not make the snow to melt much, but its pretty nice seeing everything a wonderful pure white.

Now enough chasing rabbits; Southern Baptists don't have "holy water" at all, I am pretty sure its mainly a Roman Catholic sort of religious thing.

On the lighter side of holy water, meaning no disrespect Matto, there is a joke I was told by a Catholic priest, while in a class we both took. This is how he told it,. "how do you make holy water? boil the hell out of it" He was a real jokester and told jokes all the time. He and I got to know each other, and I never got him to convert to being a Baptist. Oh well I tried.

• Like 2

Just wondering who uses holy water in their spiritual warfare kit. I've found it very effective.

Hi Matto,

Most of us protestants use holy oil rather than holy water. This is used to pray and anoint someone who is sick. Here is a reference: James 5:14,15: “Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.”

Someone possessed with an evil spirit would fall under that definition (being sick). I hope this answers your question.

Yours, Deade

Hi Matto,

Most of us protestants use holy oil rather than holy water. This is used to pray and anoint someone who is sick. Here is a reference: James 5:14,15: “Is any sick among you? Let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.”

Someone possessed with an evil spirit would fall under that definition (being sick). I hope this answers your question.

Yours, Deade

Am I reading you correctly; that a person who is not a Christian (as a Christian can not be possessed by an evil spirit) that is possessed with an evil spirit, you would anoint with oil? Could you give me a Scriptural reference for that. I don't believe James 5:14.15 is dealing with anyone but a Christian. God bless.

• Like 1

. Jesus said that whatever we bind on Earth he will bind in heaven and whatever we loose on the Earth he will loose in heaven, but I think he was only talking about souls. That does not mean we can make things holy by simply stating that they are. Only God makes things holy and sacred. The rest is just good feelings and feeling Good.

Hi Matto,

Yours, Deade

Am I reading you correctly; that a person who is not a Christian (as a Christian can not be possessed by an evil spirit) that is possessed with an evil spirit, you would anoint with oil? Could you give me a Scriptural reference for that. I don't believe James 5:14.15 is dealing with anyone but a Christian. God bless.

Good point justme, but you are suggesting that we judge someone's salvation before praying over them for healing. I stay completely away from such judgments.

Yours, Deade

. Jesus said that whatever we bind on Earth he will bind in heaven and whatever we loose on the Earth he will loose in heaven, but I think he was only talking about souls. That does not mean we can make things holy by simply stating that they are. Only God makes things holy and sacred. The rest is just good feelings and feeling Good.

Hi just_me,

Making oil holy is a process accomplished through prayer. It is first set apart and then prayed over. We do not simply call it holy.

Yours, Deade

deade, James is saying that if a Christian is sick and suffering he should pray and sing praises. If a Christian is sick, he is to call the Elders (in Southern Baptist that would be the Pastor and Deacons) they are to pray over him or her, and anoint that person with oil in the name of the LORD.

I would add there is no special power in the oil its self. This is and act of faith on the part of the sick person and those who anoint the person. Anointing is source of encouragement, and comfort to the believer. The prayer of those present and even the sick person reaches the compassion of God. The prayers and anointing are all offered as a obedience to Gods Word.

I always pray that the sick person be in the center of Gods will. In offering a prayer like this no matter what happens we are submitting the person to Gods will.

Based on everything Scripture says there is no instruction to anoint a un-regenerated person with oil.

• Like 1

@deade

I wasn't talking about oil and preying over anything doesn't mean God will acquiesce to that which is preyed over or for. God works in his own ways and in his own timeline. I have never seen anything that would lead me to believe that God sanctifies oil. He's stopped it from flowing in the case of David's brothers

@deade

I wasn't talking about oil and preying over anything doesn't mean God will acquiesce to that which is preyed over or for. God works in his own ways and in his own timeline. I have never seen anything that would lead me to believe that God sanctifies oil. He's stopped it from flowing in the case of David's brothers

To both justme and just_me,

If you go to any full gospel church you will find anointing oil for prayer services. I guess it just isn't a Baptist thing. Yours, Deade

Jesus was talking to the apostles. The apostles were given authority to establish Christ church. What Jesus is saying is that God's will is done through you to the apostles. You're absultly right, only God makes things holy, and I see nowhere in Scripture where oil, water or anything else became holy by any means.

@deade

@deade. Anointing with oil is done is various demoniations, but praying over the oil to make it holy is something completely different.

Oil is soothing to the skin and helps cool the body if you have a fever, it just makes the person feel better.

I ask you this, if the oil is holy then why pray while anointing with the oil, would the oil not be enough since it is holy? What's the reason for the oil?

• Like 1

Oh how wonderful it will be when we see the Lord Jesus Christ face to face and all the different denominations and belief systems we all be done and our focus will be on worshiping God and Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit!

• Like 3

"Jesus was talking to the apostles. The apostles were given authority to establish Christ church. What Jesus is saying is that God's will is done through you to the apostles. You're absultly right, only God makes things holy, and I see nowhere in Scripture where oil, water or anything else became holy by any means."

"17 And the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel; and of the dust that is in the floor of the tabernacle the priest shall take, and put it into the water:"Numbers 5:17

This ritual was to go against the spirit of jealousy.

"Jesus was talking to the apostles. The apostles were given authority to establish Christ church. What Jesus is saying is that God's will is done through you to the apostles. You're absultly right, only God makes things holy, and I see nowhere in Scripture where oil, water or anything else became holy by any means."

"17 And the priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel; and of the dust that is in the floor of the tabernacle the priest shall take, and put it into the water:"Numbers 5:17

This ritual was to go against the spirit of jealousy.

The ritual was to test a wife for adultery. Numbers 5:13-14.

This is not holy water in the modern sence it's used, it's just water for ritual washing.

Oh how wonderful it will be when we see the Lord Jesus Christ face to face and all the different denominations and belief systems we all be done and our focus will be on worshiping God and Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit!

Amen brother, Amen.

iinnerfire89. are you serious about your wife/

deade, James is saying that if a Christian is sick and suffering he should pray and sing praises. If a Christian is sick, he is to call the Elders (in Southern Baptist that would be the Pastor and Deacons) they are to pray over him or her, and anoint that person with oil in the name of the LORD.

I would add there is no special power in the oil its self. This is and act of faith on the part of the sick person and those who anoint the person. Anointing is source of encouragement, and comfort to the believer. The prayer of those present and even the sick person reaches the compassion of God. The prayers and anointing are all offered as a obedience to Gods Word.

I always pray that the sick person be in the center of Gods will. In offering a prayer like this no matter what happens we are submitting the person to Gods will.

Based on everything Scripture says there is no instruction to anoint a un-regenerated person with oil.

So justme,

You always ask the person that comes forward for prayer if they are saved? In the missionary circles I come from, we don't. Like I said, Must not be a Baptist thing.

Yours, Deade

@deade

So Innerfire89,

You Presbyterians have this down pat. Ask a full gospel minister about sanctifying the oil he uses before speaking out. Yours, Deade

deade, no! I am referring to some one who is SICK and at home. I am not a person who is there when someone wishes to talk to the Pastor. I am a man (older than dirt) retired. I always am willing to go visit the sick, however I have not done that is many years. I have bee in ill health and home bound for a number of years now, the only exception is to help my wife teach S.S. and go to church and Doctors appointments.

However I believe anointing with olil is for Christians that are sick. .

• Like 1

iinnerfire89. are you serious about your wife/

Oh no, I don't have a wife. The holy water matto said was used against the spirit of jealous is actually used to make a bitter drink that was given to wife who was accused of adultery. The wife would drink it and if she cheated on her husband the drink would cause her thigh to rot. What it means that her thigh would rot I'm not sure of, perhaps it was like an infection or make the wife barren.

@deade

What do you mean by "full Gospel minister"? I just never heard that term before. If you're implying that Presbyterians only preach part of the Gospel because we don't pray over oil then that makes no sense.

I really don't mean to come off rude or disrespectful, but if you believe that praying over oil makes it holy then you should be able to at least try to defend that belief.

• Like 1

Matto, mate, I believe it summer down under, right? I sure wish it were a little warmer in Missouri where I live. Got to -6 degrees FH. last night. Had to bring in the two outside cats last night. 3" of snow makes it pretty cold, even during the days sunlight does not make the snow to melt much, but its pretty nice seeing everything a wonderful pure white.

Now enough chasing rabbits; Southern Baptists don't have "holy water" at all, I am pretty sure its mainly a Roman Catholic sort of religious thing.

On the lighter side of holy water, meaning no disrespect Matto, there is a joke I was told by a Catholic priest, while in a class we both took. This is how he told it,. "how do you make holy water? boil the hell out of it" He was a real jokester and told jokes all the time. He and I got to know each other, and I never got him to convert to being a Baptist. Oh well I tried.

Thats a funny joke mate, don't mind if I use it?

Its very hot and humid here, usually this time of year it's very dry air but 38-43 C or 100- 110 F in your money. But February can get hotter.

We just had the tail end of a cyclone go through so that's why the humidity.

Catholics have holy water, Blessed salt, chrism oil for the sick, and dying. Blessed incense, blessed candles. It all ties back to the Israelite worship practices, and as mentioned before Catholicism maintains very Jewish roots.

A friend of mine when he became a believer had major issues with his wife, she was into Wicca and many other occult things.

So after much strange things going on in his house, we decided to do an exorcism on his place whilst his wife went to a Robi Williams concert with her strange friends.

We spread blessed salt and holy water everywhere, marked the top of the doors in blessed oil with the sign of the cross and totally filled the house with blessed incense smoke.

We spread blessed salt and holy water right around the fence line, and did the usual prayers of exorcism.

Job done went home. Next day my friend said all hell broke loose when his wife came home from the concert. Her friends dropped her off at the driveway and she got out of the car screaming. " You destroyed energy of the place, what did you do ? " , " I can't even set foot here, you f this and f that " . That night she hunted through my friends things and ran out with his old bible and drove off and threw it in a garbage can blocks away.

She attack him with a kitchen knife later that night, screaming about destroying the energy and she couldn't spend any time in the house at all. She moved out the next day and stayed with her parents.

Not only does it get rid of oppressive evil spirits, it gets rid of witchy wives.

Mate, under the circumstance with his wife, he is blessed she didn't kill him. Here a wife like that would have taken him to court for destroying her Mo Jo religion, and he would have been set to jail for 40 years. Women don't take abuse like that from the husbands here.

• Like 1

Thats a funny joke mate, don't mind if I use it?

Its very hot and humid here, usually this time of year it's very dry air but 38-43 C or 100- 110 F in your money. But February can get hotter.

We just had the tail end of a cyclone go through so that's why the humidity.

Catholics have holy water, Blessed salt, chrism oil for the sick, and dying. Blessed incense, blessed candles. It all ties back to the Israelite worship practices, and as mentioned before Catholicism maintains very Jewish roots.

A friend of mine when he became a believer had major issues with his wife, she was into Wicca and many other occult things.

So after much strange things going on in his house, we decided to do an exorcism on his place whilst his wife went to a Robi Williams concert with her strange friends.

We spread blessed salt and holy water everywhere, marked the top of the doors in blessed oil with the sign of the cross and totally filled the house with blessed incense smoke.

We spread blessed salt and holy water right around the fence line, and did the usual prayers of exorcism.

Job done went home. Next day my friend said all hell broke loose when his wife came home from the concert. Her friends dropped her off at the driveway and she got out of the car screaming. " You destroyed energy of the place, what did you do ? " , " I can't even set foot here, you f this and f that " . That night she hunted through my friends things and ran out with his old bible and drove off and threw it in a garbage can blocks away.

She attack him with a kitchen knife later that night, screaming about destroying the energy and she couldn't spend any time in the house at all. She moved out the next day and stayed with her parents.

Not only does it get rid of oppressive evil spirits, it gets rid of witchy wives.

Doesn't sound like they have a marriage and it doesn't sound like Wicca either. You sure she isn't a Satanist?