The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
Just Mike

How do you study the Bible?

Ever think about how much time you really spend in studding the Bible? A bout six months ago some people came to my Pastor and said they wanted to know how to study the Bible. Now that on the surface seems like a good problem to have for a church, right? Them my pastor handed out a paper asking church members if that would be something they would be interested in. The response was overwhelmingly positive, Yes!

The results of the Pastors questionnaire, showed a large number of the church body did not know how to study the Bible. My wife and I began to think just how many Christians really know how to study the Bible.

Perhaps there is the assumption that once a person comes to confess Jesus Christ, they are expected to just start reading the Bible without anyone teaching them how to read the Bible.

Are you willing to share how you study the Bible, or perhaps what difficulties you are experiencing studding the Bible. Sharing your experiences one way or the other might help someone here, or can help someone reading this post.

There is no one that best or worst, but I will use your answer to share with a group I am in at church,unless you say not to. Thank you all so much!

justme

• Like 1

Excellent topic.

Within weeks of really following the Lord the Jehovah's Witnesses came to my door. I just thought they were Christians but when they told me that Jesus was created, I believe it was the Holy Spirit telling me that what I just heard was a lie. The next visit we had a "discussion" about it. There was so much I didn't know but God protected me. They never came back. I said to myself that if/when I encounter anyone who denies the Deity of Christ I should be ready.

So here is how I studied the Bible:

1. Get passages which demonstrate the Deity of Christ. Memorize them. And then be able to defend them if challenged.

2. Find out the passages misused to attack the Deity of Christ. And then be able to challenge their misuse.

Do the same thing concerning the Holy Spirit.

When finished (no one is really "finished") then you can adequately defend the Trinity.

Then I thought, "what other teachings are usually attacked by those who either claim to be Christians (but aren't) or who belong to other religions"?

As with the above I did the same with:

Salvation

The Virgin Birth of Christ

The Resurrection of Christ

Then I began to study the teachings of other beliefs and found biblical arguments on how to refute them. Such groups were the Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Islam, Oneness Pentecostalism, etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for this great topic. I would say my number one priority when studying the Bible is to always pray for the Holy Spirit to direct me and give me wisdom. This is because the Bible is spiritually discerned (1 Cor. 2:14). At times I find myself having to refer to many other places in the Bible to understand a certain topic because I believe the Bible does not contradict itself and there are many places where a certain topic is more clear than in other places, so a good study Bible will have verse references to direct you. The concordance is also a great place to find verses on a specific topic. And sometimes I use the Strong's KJV online to see the original Hebrew or Greek words to see what the writers were trying to convey in the words they chose. It's also very important to know that Jesus is the main theme from Genesis to Revelation, and you will find the plan of salvation all throughout the Bible. Many of the Old Testament stories are typologies of Christ's mission, and when we keep in mind what that mission is, we will see new details unfold and find a more deep appreciation for God's word. God bless you all in your studies.

• Like 2

I start out every year Intending to follow a study program starting with Genesis -- a few chapters at a time and Matthew the same way. I get side-tracked easily. I also do CBS studies -- going through Acts right now and it uses lots of cross-references. And I'm on this forum a lot with discussions on various topics. Oh, ya, and in S. S. we're going through the book of Mark. My brain goes on over-load. CBS is only during the school year - so I have the summer off. In short - there are Lots of avenues to study the Bible -- it's Usually taking the time TO read it.

There are also word studies -- book studies -- topic studies.

So -- pick a way of reading that you can share with others what you're reading.

• Like 1

I study using Matthew Henry commentary mainly. I agree that it is good to pray before studying the Bible.

• Like 1

Stand on the shoulders of theological giants; read "systematic theology" books.

Acts 8:28 and was returning, seated in his chariot, and he was reading the prophet Isaiah. 29 And the Spirit said to Philip, “Go over and join this chariot.” 30So Philip ran to him and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and asked, “Do you understand what you are reading?” And he said, “How can I, unless someone guides me?”

God gave some men the gift to be pastors and teachers...take advantage of their gifts.

• Like 3

I study using Matthew Henry commentary mainly. I agree that it is good to pray before studying the Bible.

There's a Precepts class I was in for a while -- it wasn't local and I needed to be more local. But-- they highly encouraged us to read any passage first ourselves. Read it several times -- try outlining the passage. What are We getting from it? Personally. Then go to a commentary and see what the commentator says. Maybe various commentaries. Compare their ideas with yours.

God's Word has been translated into most languages so that the individual can read it personally. No one is confined to what the pastor or commentator is sharing with us. And, yes, lots of people have the spiritual gift of teaching His Word. The church I grew up in had a wonderful pastor/teacher and it was a Big church -- large S. S. attendance -- youth camps, choirs. And a growing community.

And I 'Google' a lot of questions -- watching out for the source of the information.

It's easy to be content with 'pre-chewed' Scripture.

• Like 2

And I 'Google' a lot of questions -- watching out for the source of the information

Good point.

There's a Precepts class I was in for a while -- it wasn't local and I needed to be more local. But-- they highly encouraged us to read any passage first ourselves. Read it several times -- try outlining the passage. What are We getting from it? Personally. Then go to a commentary and see what the commentator says. Maybe various commentaries. Compare their ideas with yours.

God's Word has been translated into most languages so that the individual can read it personally. No one is confined to what the pastor or commentator is sharing with us. And, yes, lots of people have the spiritual gift of teaching His Word. The church I grew up in had a wonderful pastor/teacher and it was a Big church -- large S. S. attendance -- youth camps, choirs. And a growing community.

And I 'Google' a lot of questions -- watching out for the source of the information.

It's easy to be content with 'pre-chewed' Scripture.

That is great advice for studying the Bible. I will do that. I use Google a lot too, but your right, you have to watch the sources. Sometimes I use multiple commentaries as well.

• Like 1

For Catholics it's easier systemised for us, we hear old and new testaments and the Gospel at Mass each day. Over 3 years you hear the whole Bible read out. You meditate on the small part of the Word throughout the day.

Meditation is what we humans do, but the idea is to leave yourself open to contemplation which is what Jesus does by His Grace.

Meditation is in the head, but contemplation is in the soul where the word takes root in our heart. It's not study as such, but part of quiet daily worship and absorption into the word.

We look to the Lord as the Sower

The stoney ground is like the lawyers and Pharisees, they can quote scripture chapter and verse, but Word does not live in them. " These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me "

The scripture for them is a dry legal document to be studied, it is not the breath of the Lord that gives life to a soul, they read and see nothing. Scripture just supports their ego.

There's a beautiful negro spiritual called " Were you there " , it captures the essence of things, what we try to do in daily worship with Jesus.

Contemplation is when we are taken from our state of mediation by grace and planted into the events of Jesus life. You are there at the Incarnation, you are there at the Nativity, you there on the shores of galilee, you are there at the agony in the garden, you are there at the scourging at the pillar, you are there at crowning with thorns, you are there at the carrying of the Cross, you are there at the foot of the Cross. You are there at the Resurrection, you are there when the Lord ascends to The Father,you are there in the upper room witnessing the power of The Holy Spirit at birth of the Church.

This is how you abide in the scripture. The word must take you there by grace, ask Jesus " Without me you can do nothing ". Jesus will take you if you ask him, and you get into a disposition away from distractions. Jesus wants your full attention, with no idols of the world getting between you.

I know you are Protestants and everything, but I'll just mention the Rosary as method we use to meditate on the word. We pray the words of scripture verbally, and meditate on particular events in Jesus life reading the scripture verse of each event. Then we meditate on that event while praying verbally.

This is to merely create a state of disposition for grace to take us into contemplation. Jesus through The Holy Spirit carries you off into a timeless state by grace, that your soul sees, understands and feels these events, you are taken there. A moment in contemplation is worth more than a life time of dry study, because grace achieves more than all human effort. Grace achieves effortlessly.

Now you don't have to use the rosary to do this, but whatever method you use to dispose yourself to grace in these mysteries of Jesus life, it must dispose you to be taken there by grace.

The scripture is not then a newspaper of past interesting events, or a legal document. Don't study the scripture, pray the scripture, live the scripture. The scripture should lead you there to Jesus Face.

For Catholics it's easier systemised for us, we hear old and new testaments and the Gospel at Mass each day. Over 3 years you hear the whole Bible read out. You meditate on the small part of the Word throughout the day.

Meditation is what we humans do, but the idea is to leave yourself open to contemplation which is what Jesus does by His Grace.

Meditation is in the head, but contemplation is in the soul where the word takes root in our heart. It's not study as such, but part of quiet daily worship and absorption into the word.

We look to the Lord as the Sower

The stoney ground is like the lawyers and Pharisees, they can quote scripture chapter and verse, but Word does not live in them. " These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me "

The scripture for them is a dry legal document to be studied, it is not the breath of the Lord that gives life to a soul, they read and see nothing. Scripture just supports their ego.

There's a beautiful negro spiritual called " Were you there " , it captures the essence of things, what we try to do in daily worship with Jesus.

Contemplation is when we are taken from our state of mediation by grace and planted into the events of Jesus life. You are there at the Incarnation, you are there at the Nativity, you there on the shores of galilee, you are there at the agony in the garden, you are there at the scourging at the pillar, you are there at crowning with thorns, you are there at the carrying of the Cross, you are there at the foot of the Cross. You are there at the Resurrection, you are there when the Lord ascends to The Father,you are there in the upper room witnessing the power of The Holy Spirit at birth of the Church.

This is how you abide in the scripture. The word must take you there by grace, ask Jesus " Without me you can do nothing ". Jesus will take you if you ask him, and you get into a disposition away from distractions. Jesus wants your full attention, with no idols of the world getting between you.

I know you are Protestants and everything, but I'll just mention the Rosary as method we use to meditate on the word. We pray the words of scripture verbally, and meditate on particular events in Jesus life reading the scripture verse of each event. Then we meditate on that event while praying verbally.

This is to merely create a state of disposition for grace to take us into contemplation. Jesus through The Holy Spirit carries you off into a timeless state by grace, that your soul sees, understands and feels these events, you are taken there. A moment in contemplation is worth more than a life time of dry study, because grace achieves more than all human effort. Grace achieves effortlessly.

Now you don't have to use the rosary to do this, but whatever method you use to dispose yourself to grace in these mysteries of Jesus life, it must dispose you to be taken there by grace.

The scripture is not then a newspaper of past interesting events, or a legal document. Don't study the scripture, pray the scripture, live the scripture. The scripture should lead you there to Jesus Face.

Some years ago I went to a RCC Bible study -- a small passage of Scripture Was read, yes. Just a few verses at a time. Not very much context is gotten. The passage - as interpreted by the priest. And a good Catholic listens to the priest.

• Like 1

"Some years ago I went to a RCC Bible study -- a small passage of Scripture Was read, yes. Just a few verses at a time. Not very much context is gotten. The passage - as interpreted by the priest. And a good Catholic listens to the priest."

Thats right. Catholics have never been allowed to privately interpret the Scriptures.

"Some years ago I went to a RCC Bible study -- a small passage of Scripture Was read, yes. Just a few verses at a time. Not very much context is gotten. The passage - as interpreted by the priest. And a good Catholic listens to the priest."

Thats right. Catholics have never been allowed to privately interpret the Scriptures.

Matto, are you saying you are not allowed to study the Bible for your self?

• Like 1

Not allowed to interpret scripture for ourselves.

Not allowed to interpret scripture for ourselves.

Isn't that because the local priest is supposed to be the 'go between' between God's Word and the ordinary people. And God's Word says that Jesus Christ is the only moderator between God and all of us.

• Like 1

"Isn't that because the local priest is supposed to be the 'go between' between God's Word and the ordinary people. And God's Word says that Jesus Christ is the only moderator between God and all of us."

Not even the priest can privately interpret scripture, it's strictly forbidden.

So just who does interpret scripture?

• Like 2

Hi Matto, if that is strictly true, what do you make of teachings such as this one from the Catechism of the Catholic Church concerning the interpretation of the Holy Writ?

In Sacred Scripture, God speaks to man in a human way.
To interpret Scripture correctly, the reader
must be attentive to what the human authors truly wanted to affirm, and to what God wanted to reveal to us by their words.

In order to discover
the sacred authors' intention
, the reader
must take into account the conditions of their time and culture, the literary genres in use at that time, and the modes of feeling, speaking and narrating then current. "For the fact is that truth is differently presented and expressed in the various types of historical writing, in prophetical and poetical texts, and in other forms of literary expression."

But since Sacred Scripture is inspired, there is another and no less
important principle of correct interpretation
, without which Scripture would remain a dead letter. "Sacred Scripture must be read and interpreted in the light of the same Spirit by whom it was written."

Why are these instructions given to the RC lay "reader" in the first place if private interpretation of any kind is strictly forbidden, even to priests?

Thanks!

--David

I agree with pray then read. Always pray to find his truth, ask that you not be mislead.

When Jehovah Witness knock, i answer and I'm happy to talk with them. I start pleasant and humble. Disagreements should be handled this way. I have friends that can get rude, and you may win an argument, but do they walk away better for it? Our job is to enlighten, discuss our differences. I didn't win anything unless I enlightened the JW. If I changed their hearts, I win. If they leave mad, or insulted I lost, maybe won a battle, but I lost the war.

Reading a verse? I think that's good for the studied, but new you need to know and understand the context and cotext. Who spoke it, who were they speaking to. Were they speaking to Jews or gentiles?

Was I a genius? Nope. Did I ever have doubt? Yes. I went through a hard time. I knew I was Christian, but struggled, that other guy just made a lot of sense. Could his God be the true God? What if Islam is right and we are wrong? What makes Christianity right, and them wrong? I was struggling with that question. I really struggled. I'll save you all the heartache, pray, I thought, hello if your God is real he will answer. And wow, did he. It all came to light. I have no doubts. Jesus, the son of God is God, he did die, was resurrected, and it's true.

I all of a sudden started hearing about Christian apologetics. Among that and other things the light came on. The answers came flying in. It had to be the prayer for the truth.

Recommend (free) cross examined. Download the app to your phone one word crossexamined. Frank Turek spends a lot of time at colleges debating athiest. I notice he doesn't change all their hearts, but I know he makes them think, and he does it in a nice way. No back and forth yelling. He gets and shows respect. Seems like a mutual respect at the end of the day.

I apologize for this long reply, it just touched a very difficult memory for me, but with a happy ending. God bless us all.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Hi Matto, if that is strictly true, what do you make of teachings such as this one from the Catechism of the Catholic Church concerning the interpretation of the Holy Writ?

Why are these instructions given to the RC lay "reader" in the first place if private interpretation of any kind is strictly forbidden, even to priests?

Thanks!

--David

"Sacred Scripture must be read and interpreted in the light of the same Spirit by whom it was written."

The Tradition of The Holy Spirit must be used when reading scripture.

111 are all gained by Sacred tradition. Tradition gives the context of times, language and many other things.

If we pick up the Bible and interpret it as a modern we don't get the original context, and this nullifies the word.

Thats why priests can't privately interpret the scripture, they can only give the same ancient interpretation that was handed down to them through the tradition of The Holy Spirit.

Does it work, this Tradition of The Holy Spirit. We can see it does by the interpretation the Fathers had and what we interpret scripture to mean today.

For instance regarding Confession.

“The Church holds fast its obedience on either side, by both retaining and remitting sin; heresy is on the one side cruel, and on the other disobedient; wishes to bind what it will not loosen, and will not loosen what it has bound, whereby it condemns itself by its own sentence. For the Lord willed that the power of binding and of loosing should be alike, and sanctioned each by a similar condition…Each is allowed to the Church, neither to heresy, for this power has been entrusted to priests alone. Rightly, therefore, does the Church claim it, which has true priests; heresy, which has not the priests of God, cannot claim it. And by not claiming this power heresy pronounces its own sentence, that not possessing priests it cannot claim priestly power. And so in their shameless obstinacy a shamefaced acknowledgment meets our view. Consider, too, the point that he who has received the Holy Ghost has also received the power of forgiving and of retaining sin. For thus it is written: ‘Receive the Holy Spirit: whosesoever sins ye forgive, they are forgiven unto them, and whosesoever sins ye retain, they are retained.’ So, then, he who has not received power to forgive sins has not received the Holy Spirit. The office of the priest is a gift of the Holy Spirit, and His right it is specially to forgive and to retain sins. How, then, can they claim His gift who distrust His power and His right?” Ambrose, Concerning Repentance, I:7-8 (A.D. 388).

So Catholics today have the same interpretation as the Church Fathers.

"All mortal sins are to be submitted to the keys of the Church and all can be forgiven; but recourse to these keys is the only, the necessary, and the certain way to forgiveness. Unless those who are guilty of grievous sin have recourse to the power of the keys, they cannot hope for eternal salvation. Open your lips, them, and confess your sins to the priest. Confession alone is the true gate to Heaven.” Augustine, Christian Combat (A.D. 397).

The good thing about Apostolic tradition is it never changes and especially if it is guarded by The Holy Spirit. So if I went back to Augustines time, there would be no difference in our beliefs.

We interpret scripture the same way, even after over one and half thousand years.

Edited by Matto

So just who does interpret scripture?

Apostolic Tradition and Apostolic successor's whose job it is to guard Apostolic Tradition with the help of The Holy Spirit.

Thats why they are almost pathological about following the Tradition of The Holy Spirit, and just maintain the same ancient interpretation of scripture. Interpretation is doctrine, different interpretation is different doctrine and Tradition despises all innovations.

"Sacred Scripture must be read and interpreted in the light of the same Spirit by whom it was written."

You'll get no argument from me about that :RpS_smile:

The Tradition of The Holy Spirit must be used when reading scripture.

While that's not what the CCC said in 109 - 111, we both know it's what the RCC teaches, and that you are quite correct in what you told us about the private interpretation of the Bible as a Catholic. In fact, to interpret Scripture differently than the living Magisterium does as a member of the RCC is to kiss your salvation goodbye.

Do you not find it interesting however that the RCC makes official statements such as this (see below) to the rank and file Catholic (even going so far as giving them exegetical 'how to' instructions), all the while knowing that any such action on the part of most RC's, (and even priests, as you told us above), is strictly taboo?

That makes the RCC out to be a bit of a tease, doesn't it?

In Sacred Scripture, God speaks to man in a human way.
To interpret Scripture correctly, the reader
must be attentive to what the human authors truly wanted to affirm, and to what God wanted to reveal to us by their words.

In order to discover
the sacred authors' intention
, the reader
must take into account the conditions of their time and culture, the literary genres in use at that time, and the modes of feeling, speaking and narrating then current. "For the fact is that truth is differently presented and expressed in the various types of historical writing, in prophetical and poetical texts, and in other forms of literary expression."

But since Sacred Scripture is inspired, there is another and no less
important principle of correct interpretation
, without which Scripture would remain a dead letter. "Sacred Scripture must be read and interpreted in the light of the same Spirit by whom it was written."

--David

• Like 1

You'll get no argument from me about that :RpS_smile:

While that's not what the CCC said in 109 - 111, we both know what the RCC teaches, and that you are for the most part quite correct in what you say about private interpretation as a Catholic. In fact, to interpret Scripture differently than the living Magisterium does as a member of the RCC is to kiss your salvation goodbye.

Do you not find it interesting however that the RCC says such things as this (see below) to the rank and file Catholic in the Catechism, even going so far as giving them 'how to' instructions, when such a thing is strictly forbidden (as you just pointed out above), even for priests?

--David

When a Catholic reads this, it is always with the Apostolic Tradition in mind that gives context.

CCC 82 As a result the Church, to whom the transmission and interpretation of Revelation is entrusted, "does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honored with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence."

Paul tells us to hold to the word of mouth tradition and written tradition together. The preaching of the Apostles by the power of The Holy Spirit is also the word. The Bereans received the word orally from Paul when no Gospel or New Testament was written.

The preaching of the Church explains the meaning of the written word of God.

77 "In order that the full and living Gospel might always be preserved in the Church the apostles left bishops as their successors. They gave them their own position of teaching authority."35 Indeed, "the apostolic preaching, which is expressed in a special way in the inspired books, was to be preserved in a continuous line of succession until the end of time."

78 This living transmission, accomplished in the Holy Spirit, is called Tradition, since it is distinct from Sacred Scripture, though closely connected to it. Through Tradition, "the Church, in her doctrine, life and worship, perpetuates and transmits to every generation all that she herself is, all that she believes."37 "The sayings of the holy Fathers are a witness to the life-giving presence of this Tradition, showing how its riches are poured out in the practice and life of the Church, in her belief and her prayer."

There is no point for a Catholic to interpret for himself, if it doesn't have that ancient context of Tradition.

"That makes the RCC out to be a bit of a tease, doesn't it?"

That's very funny Dave, your a good humoured bloke.

The Catechism already tells the reader in the earlier parts of it, the role of Tradition, it's not a mystery by #109, 110, and 111.

Its not like the Church is smiling at Catholics holding a cricket bat behind it.

Blessings mate.

Edited by Matto

Does it work, this Tradition of The Holy Spirit. We can see it does by the interpretation the Fathers had and what we interpret scripture to mean today.

Which church fathers does the Catholic Church follow? The Fathers disagreed with each other about many things.

https://carm.org/church-fathers-quotes-topic

They didn't agree on whether baptism is necessary for salvation.

https://carm.org/early-church-fathers-baptism

They didn't agree of whether Scripture alone is the final authority.

https://carm.org/early-church-fathers-scripture

They didn't even agree on whether Peter is the Rock on which the church is built.

https://carm.org/is-peter-the-rock-church

• Like 2