The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
Innerfire89

Do you listen to secular music?

Do you listen to secular music?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Do you listen to secular music?

• Yes, I listen whatever sounds good.
    • Yes, but very selectively.
    • No, it's morraly dissulte garage!

Hey there everyone, I hope you had a joy filled Christmas.

I myself have given up most of secular music for obvious and some maybe not so obvious reasons, yet there are still a few bands that I think are acceptable. That's just where I feel Christ has brought me in choosing what to listen to, I'm not here to condemn.

​​​​​​What is your thought process in choosing what music you listen to?

Music is something that has to meet the mood you are in or the mood you want yourself to be in. God gave us music and there are times that the secular world really abuses the privilege to express just about every type of vulgarity known to man, but does that mean that that right there isn't God's plan. How manby people have come to God after wallowing around in the debatchery of the world, only to find they are still thirsty for that which the world can't provide.

I mean, Isn't that what The Prodigal Child was all about?

• Like 1

I do believe everyone has the right to listen to whatever they want. But for me as a follower of Christ, I believe whatever I allow into my mind should be that which points me to Christ. It's the same with what I watch: garbage in, garbage out. Christ has called us to be separate from the world (2 Cor. 6:17), meaning to put away the things that we used to do in our sinful nature and be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Rom. 12:2). God bless.

• Like 1

My wife and listen 99% tp christian music. Once in a great while I like soft music or just country no singing country.

Worldly music is often based on sexual feelings and is best avoided.

• Like 2

Much "Christian music" at least of the relatively modern variety is more secular that a lot of secular music. Throwing in a few praise the Lord's and Jesus doesn't make it Christian. Most modern Christian music so called is lacking in any sound biblical content and the sappy "praise" chorus variety if the name Jesus or Lord is not thrown in could be sung for a lover. Just general comments not implying anyone listens to this or not since obviously I don't know the listening habits of brothers and sisters here.

• Like 3

I listen to music selectively. I also listen to Christian music. I like country and all kinds of music.

• Like 1

I do believe everyone has the right to listen to whatever they want. But for me as a follower of Christ, I believe whatever I allow into my mind should be that which points me to Christ. It's the same with what I watch: garbage in, garbage out. Christ has called us to be separate from the world (2 Cor. 6:17), meaning to put away the things that we used to do in our sinful nature and be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Rom. 12:2). God bless.

Good point, we should want is good to want.

Much "Christian music" at least of the relatively modern variety is more secular that a lot of secular music. Throwing in a few praise the Lord's and Jesus doesn't make it Christian. Most modern Christian music so called is lacking in any sound biblical content and the sappy "praise" chorus variety if the name Jesus or Lord is not thrown in could be sung for a lover. Just general comments not implying anyone listens to this or not since obviously I don't know the listening habits of brothers and sisters here.

I think most of todays Christian music is in the style of pop, and most of it is about the experience of the lyerisist, has a hint of Christian values, or is just to encourage people. Most of it isn't centered on Christ or the lyrics don't even relay any useful messasage. I don't see the characteristics of Christians in most of the performers either, wild hair and tacy clothing is humble. Some performers even play on the same stage with secular musicians whose music far from wholesome.

As far as taste in music I don't care much for anything made later than the eighties. Lyrics have become nothing more than repetitive phrases and they use something called sound compression where they take what would be subtle tones and make them as louad as the rest of the music, resulting in a flat music with no depth. That's just my opinion though.

I listen to music selectively. I also listen to Christian music. I like country and all kinds of music.

More or less I'm rediscovering music. At one time I loved 60s-70s rock and roll, but I couldn't enjoy those anthems of liberalism after getting serious about following Christ. I threw out about 80% of my music collection.

Theres some decent country music out there, and I love the sounds of a bluegrass banjo.

• Like 1

@Innerfire89 I was going add also that what passes for so called Christian music today is experience based and centered on I(me). Yes the so called Christians who perform this music leave much to be desired in their representation of Christ in both appearance and lifestyles.

I've listened to some of what they call Christian Rock music and I've heard some songs by the band that plays at Lakewood over the internet and I can agree with you on that. Rock music is not praise music and when you try to mix they two you delute both into something that sounds forced. The only thing positive that came from listening was the fact that I learned all I needed to know about the Olstein ministries and I turned that stuff off immediately.

I love good Christian music and IO love good classical as well as Rock music up until they came out with this demon and dread crap. Early rock music was upbeat and celebrated life. This stuff they have now celibates death and debauchery, but that's the way the world is leaning so I guess both can go into the toilet at the same time.

• Like 3

More or less I'm rediscovering music. At one time I loved 60s-70s rock and roll, but I couldn't enjoy those anthems of liberalism after getting serious about following Christ. I threw out about 80% of my music collection.

Theres some decent country music out there, and I love the sounds of a bluegrass banjo.

That sounds good. It is ashame we have to be so careful about the music we listen to. So much of it is garbage. It may sound good but the message is bad.

• Like 1

I've listened to some of what they call Christian Rock music and I've heard some songs by the band that plays at Lakewood over the internet and I can agree with you on that. Rock music is not praise music and when you try to mix they two you delute both into something that sounds forced. The only thing positive that came from listening was the fact that I learned all I needed to know about the Olstein ministries and I turned that stuff off immediately.

I love good Christian music and IO love good classical as well as Rock music up until they came out with this demon and dread crap. Early rock music was upbeat and celebrated life. This stuff they have now celibates death and debauchery, but that's the way the world is leaning so I guess both can go into the toilet at the same time.

Yeah, I am tired of the devil music as well.

Yeah, I am tired of the devil music as well.

I just can't understand all that death stuff. People ask why so many of these kids are killing themselves and they don't look at what they are listening to or doing in their spare time. I(t's crazy, but now a days the parents of these little monsters are more their friend instead of their parents and have given them the play station as a baby sitter andf a I-pod for a wetr nurse.

I just can't understand all that death stuff. People ask why so many of these kids are killing themselves and they don't look at what they are listening to or doing in their spare time. I(t's crazy, but now a days the parents of these little monsters are more their friend instead of their parents and have given them the play station as a baby sitter andf a I-pod for a wetr nurse.

Very true. Many parents have no idea what their kids are listening to. I have a niece who grew up listening to "screamo" music which is known for power violence and hatred. Suicides were related to this music and she was feeling suicidal for a time. Thank the good Lord that she stopped listening to that garbage and now is doing well.

• Like 1

Very true. Many parents have no idea what their kids are listening to. I have a niece who grew up listening to "screamo" music which is known for power violence and hatred. Suicides were related to this music and she was feeling suicidal for a time. Thank the good Lord that she stopped listening to that garbage and now is doing well.

Amen.

• Like 1

A1zPpiyz_t.jpg

• Like 1

The roots of rock go back to blues, but the name rock and roll actually came from teens and young adults who would sneak off into secluded areas in their cars to have sex, the car would rock and roll as a result.

I won't say that all rock styled music is evil, but most of it is. Looking back in the history of rock I'm not too surprised how openly ungodly, or downright satanic it is today. All lot of bands, like The Beatels, drew their inspiration from people like Charles Manson, along with eastern spiritist, and a disturbingly evil man named Alestor Crowley. Now today we rock artist like Marlon Manson, who is the president of the church of Satan, he borrowed the second half of his name from Charles Manson.

But like I said, I can't say all rock styled music is evil, but evil seems to be what rock and roll is for.

• Like 1

A lot of that type of music litteraly encourages suicide. You might of heard of a band named Black Sabbath, they were sued by several families who lost their children to suicide after listening their song called, "The Suicide Song".

The roots of rock go back to blues, but the name rock and roll actually came from teens and young adults who would sneak off into secluded areas in their cars to have sex, the car would rock and roll as a result.

I won't say that all rock styled music is evil, but most of it is. Looking back in the history of rock I'm not too surprised how openly ungodly, or downright satanic it is today. All lot of bands, like The Beatels, drew their inspiration from people like Charles Manson, along with eastern spiritist, and a disturbingly evil man named Alestor Crowley. Now today we rock artist like Marlon Manson, who is the president of the church of Satan, he borrowed the second half of his name from Charles Manson.

But like I said, I can't say all rock styled music is evil, but evil seems to be what rock and roll is for.

I agree, most of it is evil and some is downright satanic.

• Like 1

I'm in my late 60's. Grew up with good Gospel music at church. Full of doctrine. I Do enjoy FM 91.3 -- it's called 'easy listening' -- a nice combo of music , songs that are easy to listen to. Would enjoy Christmas music all year around.

Some years ago, my husband was really into country music. The Old stuff. After a while I realized how depressing it could get. He'd grown up in a fairly depressing environment -- he related to a lot of it. But it wasn't healthy.

And, unfortunately lots of parents have no real idea what their kids are listening to or watching or playing in video games. Technowledgy is developing So Fast --and I Do know adults who are as into the developing stuff As their kids are.

The cartoon with the mom who's concerned that her daughter is smoking -- she's only several decades Behind times. And I Do remember back in grade school when a couple of students were caught smoking behind a stairwell in the school. That was a Major offense. Parents were called -- students probably at least suspended.

There's music I've heard on TV -- DirectTV has lots of music channels that can be accessed. It's not music -- it's Noise. Various programs Do feature various groups / bands -- some of them look -- well -- evil and sound evil, too. Very SAD.

• Like 2

The term rock and roll was coined by Allen Freed, who was a disk jockey in Cleveland, Oh. That's why the Rock and Roll hall of Fame is in Cleveland. I think he used the term Rock and Roll to described the dance movement at the Sock Hops and had nothing to do with sex. You have to remember this was the late 40's and the 50's that Rock and Roll came out.

What we have to do is put everything into perspective. Not all things have origins in evil, but all things can be perverted If given time. .

There was a preacher that I saw on you tube that was talking about going to a rock consert at the behest of some city officail and claimed that he saw people lighting their bic lighters all over the arena as a solute to Satan. That was hog wash and the preacher should not have claimed it did. The reason that people light their lighters is to let the band know they like the song they are playing. I've been to a Reba Mc Intire concert and they do the same thing.

We, as Christians need to understand that there are activist preachers out there who will act out and say anything to get their names in the paper. I think this preacher was one of them. He defiantly didn't know what he was talking about.

• Like 1

I'm in my late 60's. Grew up with good Gospel music at church. Full of doctrine. I Do enjoy FM 91.3 -- it's called 'easy listening' -- a nice combo of music , songs that are easy to listen to. Would enjoy Christmas music all year around.

Some years ago, my husband was really into country music. The Old stuff. After a while I realized how depressing it could get. He'd grown up in a fairly depressing environment -- he related to a lot of it. But it wasn't healthy.

And, unfortunately lots of parents have no real idea what their kids are listening to or watching or playing in video games. Technowledgy is developing So Fast --and I Do know adults who are as into the developing stuff As their kids are.

The cartoon with the mom who's concerned that her daughter is smoking -- she's only several decades Behind times. And I Do remember back in grade school when a couple of students were caught smoking behind a stairwell in the school. That was a Major offense. Parents were called -- students probably at least suspended.

There's music I've heard on TV -- DirectTV has lots of music channels that can be accessed. It's not music -- it's Noise. Various programs Do feature various groups / bands -- some of them look -- well -- evil and sound evil, too. Very SAD.

I used to call country music drinking music, it's what I saw other people listening to when they sat around and cryed into a beer bottle. Lol. Not to paint all country fans with the same brush though. Some country artist are quite poetic and upbeat. Darius Rucker seems alright, and I guess I have a soft spot for John Denver.

There's so much garbage out there aimed at our young ones. Video games are mostly about shooting people. And many teens, especially males, are into animae, it looks like it's just cartoons for the outside, but it's the content is mostly young girls dressed in short skirts fighting nijas and what not. And don't get me started on those dramatic movies and shows about vampires and zombies.

I can't tell if they're trying to look evil or if they just excaped from a mental institution with half their heads shaved. Lol.

• Like 1