The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
Chasinglight

How really accurate is the bible?

Man has decided to pick and choose what to believe and what to discard -- that hasn't change the Fact of the Bible being God's Word to us -- mankind.

It started out in Greek and Hebrew and some Aramaic. Then to Latin and then to the various languages. Translating Any piece of literature from one language to another is going from one alphabet to another. Each language has it's own alphabet and none of them match up exactly. When doing the translating, the idea is to get as close as possible to the intended meaning of the passage. And the figures of speech of language has to be taken into consideration. The translation has to make sense to the new reader or why bother translating. But the message of God's Word hasn't changed. Heaven and hell existing -- will exist and the way To each is explained. A person makes the decision as to where they will end up.

People don't like some of God's guidelines-- society has gradually gone down hill -- God's Word hasn't changed. So - instead of disregarding parts of God's Word -- why don't we simply read and obey. Our individual works won't get us any closer to heaven -- it's through the cross -- God Does want our heart's obedience. Out of love for Him.

So -- God's Word is as accurate as it always has been. And God's Word has always been the truth , the way, the life,.

• Like 2

@Fastfredy0 ---that Is another perspective. So - who Is the authority figure? God's Word as God's inspiration? or man's explanations Of.

Textual criticism is okay, I guess. But is the aim to build up Scripture or tear it down.

• Like 1

Textual criticism is okay, I guess. But is the aim to build up Scripture or tear it down.

The object is truth. God's word is truth. The YOUTUBE article builds up man's understanding of how the Bible was substantiated from ancient writings we have.

Technically, the English Bible as we read it has minor (insignificant) errors. Consider ...

II. Hermeneutical Issues Involved in Translation

A. There is no one to one correspondence between languages.

B. A good translation should:

1. be based on the best manuscripts. (manuscripts differ slightly)

2. be based on the latest knowledge of language and culture.

3. be accurate.

4. be understandable.

5. be contemporary.

6. be universal.

7. be dignified.

8. avoid a theological bias.

The truth be told, and I assume you want the truth, the Bible is the inerrant, inspired word of God AS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN. THERE ARE NO ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPTS, that is the truth. But scholars put together the various pieces (1000s of them from various places and time) we have to authenticate the BIBLE.

The truth is the the New Testament, as the YOUTUBE video explains, has approx. 140,000 words and over 400,000 textual variants. The variants are almost all minor and none are doctrinal. Many as minor as spelling mistakes.

Demonstration:

Look up John 5:4 in the KJV

... now, if you are afraid there is a significant difference then do not read further as that might "tear down Scripture" in some people's opinion

... now look up the same verse in the ESV

.... John 5:4 does not exist in ESV (and most other versions).

Similarly, older manuscripts are missing 12 verses of Mark 16 and I believe 12 verses at end of John 7, beginning of John 8

Jerimiah 9:23 Thus says the Lord, “Let not the one who is wise and skillful boast in his insight; let not the one who is mighty and powerful boast in his strength; let not the one who is rich boast in his [temporal satisfactions and earthly] abundance; 24 but let the one who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows Me [and acknowledges Me and honors Me as God and recognizes without any doubt], that I am the Lord who practices lovingkindness, justice and righteousness on the earth, for in these things I delight,” says the Lord.

• Like 2

Hasn't the bible been changed and altered by man over the centuries? How accurate is it really now?

As others have discussed above, there is very good evidence that the Bible we have is trustworthy and, in fact, has been supernaturally preserved so that what we have is God's word. This discussion reminded me of a little book that looks really good on this topic called "Can I Really Trust the Bible?" I haven't read it, but now that I've remembered it I think I'm going to get it.

• Like 1

All Scripture is God breathed. God is not a man that he should lie. Hence the Bible is accurate in all that it says and claims.

• Like 3

As stated the variants are minor and do not effect one single doctrine of Scripture, so we can read our bibles with confidence assured that we have God's word.99.5% textual accuracy is truly amazing.

• Like 5

As others have discussed above, there is very good evidence that the Bible we have is trustworthy and, in fact, has been supernaturally preserved so that what we have is God's word. This discussion reminded me of a little book that looks really good on this topic called "Can I Really Trust the Bible?" I haven't read it, but now that I've remembered it I think I'm going to get it.

I have a book similar to that -- Why Trust the Bible? Put out by Rose Publishing -- Bible Basics -- How we got the Bible --- Dead sea scrolls -- Prophecies fulfilled by Jesus -- The Gospels: "Lost" and Found -- 50 Proofs; Old Testament -- 50 Proofs: New Testament.

Very good reading.

• Like 3

The Bible has corruptions as a result of the existence of the contradictions in the Bible. For example, one of the flat out contradictions is as follows;

Exodus 24:11 tells "They SAW God" whereas 1 Timothy 6:16 says "who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom NO ONE HAS SEEN or CAN SEE."

Another flat out contradiction is as follows;

2 Kings 8:26 says "Ahaziah was 22 years old when he began to rule" whereas "Ahaziah was 42 years old when he began to rule" according to 2 Chronicles 22:2.

The Bible has corruptions as a result of the existence of the contradictions in the Bible. For example, one of the flat out contradictions is as follows;

Exodus 24:11 tells "They SAW God" whereas 1 Timothy 6:16 says "who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom NO ONE HAS SEEN or CAN SEE."

2 Kings 8:26 says "Ahaziah was 22 years old when he began to rule" whereas "Ahaziah was 42 years old when he began to rule" according to 2 Chronicles 22:2.

I just looked up those two passages -- 2 Chronicles 22:2 "Ahaziah was twenty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem one year. His mother name was Athaliah, a granddaughter of Omri."

2 Kings 8:26 "Ahaziah was twenty-two years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem one year. His mother's name was Athaliah, a granddaughter of Omri king of Israel."

• Like 1

It depends which versions of the Bible. If you go to Hebrew texts of these two contradicting statements, you will that 2 kings 8:26 says 22 yrs old but 2 Chronicles 22:2 says 42. Please check KJV and RSV

Your information is seriously flawed. Scholars have proven this totally wrong

• Like 2

It depends which versions of the Bible. If you go to Hebrew texts of these two contradicting statements, you will that 2 kings 8:26 says 22 yrs old but 2 Chronicles 22:2 says 42. Please check KJV and RSV

I just check in my NKJ -- the 2 Chronicles 22:2 Does say 42 rather than 22 and the bottom footnote directs a person to the 2 Kings 8 passage that states '22'.

If I may ask -- how long did it take you to find those 'flat out contradictions' and 'corruptions' in the Bible.

I'll ask another question -- do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God? Do you believe in the resurrection of Jesus Christ?

• Like 2

We do not say the bible is infallible. We say that the bible as originally written is infallible. This is a good example. The NET, NIV, NASB, ESV, NLT, MSG, BBE, NRSV translations all say 22. The KNV and NKJV versions say 42.

• Like 1

1 Corinthians 2:14 The natural [unregenerate]person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God [regeneration comes from the Spirit of God], for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually [the Holy Spirit] discerned.

• Like 2

1 Corinthians 2:14 The natural [unregenerate]person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God [regeneration comes from the Spirit of God], for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually [the Holy Spirit] discerned.

Good point.

It shouldn't surprise us if there are minor discrepancies like the punctuation missing from the Greek and Aramaic, the vowels missing from the Hebrew. Enough is spot on to get us saved and schooled on what our Lord is doing. I Think it important that God's Old Testament ordinances state: we should let everything be established at the mouth of two or three witnesses. I might keep us from falsely assuming and drawing doctrine from one scripture occurrence.

I believe some prophecy has been locked and sealed until our time at the end of the age. Daniel 12:4: "But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased." What we are doing here, with our computers, is what God was referring to "Knowledge shall be increased." :RpS_biggrin:

• Like 1

" What we are doing here, with our computers, is what God was referring to "Knowledge shall be increased." :RpS_biggrin:

Plenty of "running to and fro" going on in the world today too, it seems to me.

Your information is seriously flawed. Scholars have proven this totally wrong

Scholars admit the contradiction between 2 kings 8:26 and 2 chronicles 22:2 as a result of scibal error.

• Like 1

Fastfredy saying "We say that the bible as originally written is infallible" is not true because we donot have the original manuscripts of the Bible.

Another flat out contradiction is that 1 timothy 6:16 says "no one has seen God nor CAN see Him" but Exodus 24:11 says "they SAW God"

That is not a contradiction. God (theos) refers to the Father (cf. John 6:46).

Who they "saw" in Exodus 24:11 was God the Son.

• Like 3

Faber, you are reading into the texts in your attempts to resolve such contradiction but the fact remains neither Exodus 24:11 nor 1 Timothy 6:16 uses the term God the Father or God the Son. Rather, both verses of Exodus 24:11 and 1 Timothy 6:16 use only the word "God".

Hence, claiming that "that is not a contradiction. God (theos) refers to the Father (cf. John 6:46). Who they "saw" in Exodus 24:11 was God the Son" is contradicted by 1 Timothy 6:16 that says "no one has seen GOD and no one CANNOT see God" however, Exodus 24:11 says the contrary "They saw God"

The key word in 1 Timothy 6:16 is "CANNOT" which means "impossible" but Exodus 24:11 says "They SAW God"

As stated the variants are minor and do not effect one single doctrine of Scripture, so we can read our bibles with confidence assured that we have God's word.99.5% textual accuracy is truly amazing.

Dutch claiming "As stated the variants are minor and do not effect one single doctrine of Scripture" is FALSE because the only explicit trinity verse that makes the father, the son and holy spirit are one, is 1 John 5:7, but deleted as an interpolation.